gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680894 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 10:36:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs You Love To Hate  (Read 9836 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:10:01 AM »

OK, here's the idea:

name a song per post that you intensely hate, whilst there is, on the surface, no ground for doing so. In fact the performance may be OK, and your proper attitude could be: 'indifferent'. But you hate it. Make a very brief comment. And if you see someone else damning such a song that you actually like, try to refute him or her, again, very briefly. Use quotation for proper understanding. Here's my start, I heard on the BBC TV this morning:

'Down Under' by Men At Work.

Technically OK, nice flutes swirling, catchy tune. And I HATE it, for all of its insignificance to me...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
MBE
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »

Barbie Girl is the worst trash I ever heard, also the entire Yoko Ono catalog.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 03:31:24 AM »

Always thought that Barbie Girl was actually quite funny when it first came out in 1999 (or whenever it was) and to my ears there's much worse despicable crap on the charts today (e.g. Coldplay, Mando Diao, you name it).
MBE
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 04:59:17 AM »

Maybe I should explain. I worked at a night club selling cigars and the disc jockey played it 4-5 times a night. Just every play got more and more grating. If I heard it once or not at all (which is more likely considering I don't listen to much past the 70's) I probably wouldn't think twice about it.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 05:57:57 AM »

I see. So I hope they didn't play too much Yoko at that particular club as soon as Barbie Girl wasn't on the turntable. Wink Remember, she did quite a few songs one might like to dance to... or not.

Here's my own contribution:

R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts
Might be the downright lamest thing ever put to tape. Forget about Achy Breaky Heart, this is the one song that really should top any Worst Song Ever list as far as I'm concerned (and as long as Kenny G doesn't count in terms of "song").
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 10:19:09 AM »

Great memories of jumping on my best friends bed listening to 'Down Under' at eleven years old.

I'm gonna go with 'Simply the Best.'
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 11:19:50 AM »

I think my favorite song to hate is one of two by Alanis Morissette (Not my least favorite songs, mind you, but those I really, really just enjoy hating.), either "Ironic" or "Thank U." The former just pisses me off. Always did. Always will. I was in college when it came out and that album led to a kind of college-girls' pride that seemed really weird to me, overly and unnecessarily confrontational vibe. As for why that song as opposed to the others (which I also hated), probably that it has has more to do with coincidence than irony. Regarding the latter song, it was the most laughably pretentious thing I ever heard that I couldn't stop laughing when I first heard it. Ooooh, multisyllabic words! "Dear Terrence, you rocked my world" cracked me up then and does now. f*** you, Alanis. You suck. I hate you, and it's my pleasure to do so. (But I did love "You Can't Do That On Television." I'd watch an episode of that right now.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:41:18 AM »

'I Will Always Love You' - Whitney.

(over the top, no distribution of emotion, machine-like, technically faultless, and crap).

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 03:29:19 AM »

'I Will Always Love You' - Whitney.

(over the top, no distribution of emotion, machine-like, technically faultless, and crap).

Oh yeah, I'll agree with you on that one! Don't agree with you on "Down Under" though (maybe that's understandable coming from an Aussie?)

I'll agree with you on both of these... as for Yoko Ono is there anything worse than the Plastic Ono Band track "Don't Worry Kyoko"?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 09:18:45 PM »

Brandi you're a fine girl...technically a good pop/soft rock am number of its day....but something about the singer's tone of voice just pisses me off........

and the cockiness of the lyrics......just serves to further piss me off.....some swaggering nautical cocksman!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 09:24:43 PM »

Kanye West- Gold Digger.

Forced to listen to this about 27 times a day on B.E.T. during my little stint in the Klink. My cousin played this at her wedding and my date wanted to dance to this tune. I reaaalllly hate this song.
MBE
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »

I see. So I hope they didn't play too much Yoko at that particular club as soon as Barbie Girl wasn't on the turntable. Wink Remember, she did quite a few songs one might like to dance to... or not.

Here's my own contribution:

R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts
Might be the downright lamest thing ever put to tape. Forget about Achy Breaky Heart, this is the one song that really should top any Worst Song Ever list as far as I'm concerned (and as long as Kenny G doesn't count in terms of "song").
Thankfully no Yoko at the club and that R.E.M. song is bad.
mikeyj the only thing worse then Don't Worry Kyoko is Cambrige 69 or John John Let's Hope For Peace!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 12:27:31 AM »

Don't Worry Kyoko is cool. Isn't that the one that has the Wake Up Little Susie chord progression?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
MBE
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 02:51:49 AM »

The riff is good but I just wish I could wipe her voice off of it.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 02:58:57 AM »

The riff is good but I just wish I could wipe her voice off of it.

Haha yeah that's the problem... who gives a crap even if it was God Only Knows underneath it, it's totally ruined by Yoko's voice
MBE
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 06:17:40 AM »

Being a Lennon fan I find a lot of the music he and others (like Clapton, Starr, Vorman etc) played beneth her was actually quite good. I still rank those as some of the worst records I ever heard though because I truly hate her voice. I mean I used to cry as a child when I heard it. Whenever she screams my stomache still jumps.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 09:56:35 AM »

In the name of love! What more - in the name of love? In the name - of love! What more? In the name of love.

Not a lot to this song,.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 02:22:03 AM »

Charlene Tilton: 'I've Never Been To Me'.

Pseudo-introspective psychological BS if there ever was. She must've been looking for the Real Me That She Used To Be, a.k.a. her Inner Child.

P.J.
Smiley Smile Associate

The least you could do is smile.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 05:15:23 AM »

Led Zeppelin's "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper." Only for the fact that "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do?" was left off the album instead.

"I heard the word -- wonderful thing -- a children's song."
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 04:14:19 PM »

'Back In Black' - AC/DC

Kind of catchy...but as with most of their stuff, the vocals ruin it for me. Just can't listen to it without cringing. It's like fingernails on a chalk board to my ears.

MBE
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 01:53:14 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH8go6bj-Y4

This was actually a top 25 hit in 1971
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 05:41:13 AM »

In the name of love! What more - in the name of love? In the name - of love! What more? In the name of love.

Not a lot to this song,.

Right you are.  I hate the song and the singer.... I don't like Bono.

Onece again, Bono sucks.    Pretentious, attention seeking, self-agrandizing show off.  And why Baw no?  Why not Boe no like the late great Sonny Boe no?  What is with these single names?  I mean, if you're going to have a single name like Cher, then why not go ahead and call yourself Boe no?

And who is this phucker named "the Edge"?     Does he sign his checks that way?  Does his mother call him "the edge"?

How bout his girlfriend in the midst of making love?  Does she shout out "Ohhhhhh! "the edge"  , " the edge"!!!!!!!
And does he respond saying  to her "say my name! say my name!"

And she says "I called you the edge!  And he says , "oh I thought you meant......."

I wonder how he decided on "the edge".  I mean, why not "the corner"   or maybe "the center"?  (this would work equally well in bed)

Oh.  I forgot the thread was about SONGS we love to hate.

Did I ever mention I havte "Brandy"?
Marty77
Smiley Smile Associate

Boys And Girls.I give you Cumbernauld Town Centre!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 05:55:09 AM »

That's MISTER Edge to you.!   Wink 2

"Dont' you think the Beach Boys are boss??!! ....I don't like that surfing sh*t"
SG7
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 07:15:07 PM »

the hamster dance song
MBE
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 08:09:15 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH8go6bj-Y4

This was actually a top 25 hit in 1971
Did anyone hear this. Sorry to answer my own thread but I am dying to find out what you thought!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx