gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 05:44:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 166665 times)
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #500 on: March 19, 2015, 03:51:43 PM »

I love the sound of it and BW needed to be doin' some more bossa nova anyway. Accept the bangs!

Yep, the bangs ruin everything, just like that L&M green truck that was so devastating.  While I'm way too old for sickeningly cute, I have been watching the trailer repeatedly to practice my solipsistic posture, though.  I'll let everyone know how that goes.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: March 19, 2015, 04:06:48 PM »

The only thing I didn't like about the trailer was the utterly insipid vocal by Deschanel. Far too ikkle girly, especially in such august company. Bleh.

Otherwise... well oh my oh gosh oh gee.  Grin

*cough* Julie London
*cough* Astrud Gilberto

Give them a spin and you'll hear where the style is coming from. Especially Astrud singing Jobim.

*cough*  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: March 19, 2015, 04:09:14 PM »

I'm unclear what the problem is.

Me too. Perhaps trying to find fault with something for the sake of finding fault and telling everyone about it? This board deals in that too often.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 19, 2015, 04:12:17 PM »

I love the sound of it and BW needed to be doin' some more bossa nova anyway. Accept the bangs!

Yep, the bangs ruin everything, just like that L&M green truck that was so devastating.  While I'm way too old for sickeningly cute, I have been watching the trailer repeatedly to practice my solipsistic posture, though.  I'll let everyone know how that goes.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #504 on: March 19, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »

Me too. Perhaps trying to find fault with something for the sake of finding fault and telling everyone about it? This board deals in that too often.  Grin

D'ya think, GF?!  Nah, not here!;-)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: March 19, 2015, 04:25:09 PM »

There is sometimes a fine line between solipsism and priapism.   Smokin

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: March 19, 2015, 04:26:39 PM »

D'ya think, GF?!  Nah, not here!;-)

Thumbs Up  LOL

Haha, never here, no way...

Bangs...seriously?

Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 19, 2015, 05:22:55 PM »

As a huge fan of Nate Reuss, I must say it feels almost unreal to hear them singing together. Considering Nate's been talking about how much Brian has influenced him for the last decade or so, I'm sure the feeling is the same for him.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 19, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »

Why do we always have to be extra positive about everything Brian related?  There's NOTHING wrong with people not liking the Zooey clip.  It has nothing to do with with trying to find a fault in it, but of course a mod of all people had to bring that up.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 19, 2015, 05:45:12 PM »

Yes, let's be extra negative. That's so much more pleasant.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 19, 2015, 05:53:55 PM »

Yes, let's be extra negative. That's so much more pleasant.

Here's the thing, nobody is being negative.  A couple people said they're liking everything about the Soundstage special so far, except the Zoey part.  Why do we have to criticize them for that?
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 19, 2015, 07:00:19 PM »

Blossom Dearie was the best in that style. ZdC is cute like Betty Boop cute, but she aint in the class of Blossom nor of the others our leader mentioned. The song will be like TPLOBAS for me: if I am near the device I will skip it; if not I'll just bop along blithely until the next song comes on.

The only thing I didn't like about the trailer was the utterly insipid vocal by Deschanel. Far too ikkle girly, especially in such august company. Bleh.

*cough* Julie London
*cough* Astrud Gilberto

Give them a spin and you'll hear where the style is coming from. Especially Astrud singing Jobim.

*cough*  Smiley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: March 19, 2015, 08:33:57 PM »

Blossom Dearie was the best in that style. ZdC is cute like Betty Boop cute, but she aint in the class of Blossom nor of the others our leader mentioned. The song will be like TPLOBAS for me: if I am near the device I will skip it; if not I'll just bop along blithely until the next song comes on.

*cough* Julie London
*cough* Astrud Gilberto

*cough*  Smiley

You're mixing up the genres and styles, I think. Astrud pretty much wrote the rulebook on singing Bossa Nova, and ironically the Jobim tunes that became the big hits and started the "craze" in the 60's were the first time she had sung professionally.

Julie London was very, very influential on Jobim and how he and fellow Brazilian musicians basically formed the Bossa Nova style and template. Her album Julie Is Her Name and to a lesser degree its follow-up vol. 2 influenced guitarists like Jobim who heard Barney Kessel's complex chord work as well as the way his guitar acted as percussion in a drum-less and piano-less backing band. It was Julie, guitar, and bass, and what piano and drums would usually do fell on Barney and the bass to fill those roles. Specifically, though, Barney's jazz chords blew Jobim away, and if you listen to his compositions, you can hear a direct influence in how and what Jobim wrote and played that became Bossa Nova as millions embraced it commercially.

Julie London's vocal delivery was *very* laid back, very quiet and breathy delivery, and sometimes barely a whisper. She delivered phrases a certain way, very much in line with what would be called West Coast Cool or even Beatnick Jazz as a deep sub-genre.

Her vocals on the "Name" albums also had a direct influence on the way Jobim's music was sung, specifically the major hits sung by Astrud Gilberto and even the sax playing of Stan Getz on other Jobim hits, to a point where some notes Getz played could be so quiet they were more breath than note.

I know Blossom Dearie's music, I love some of those modern singers like Katherine Whalen who show a deep influence in that style, but it is not Bossa Nova and it is not - in fact I'd say nowhere near - the style we hear Zooey using on "Island".

For all the comments about that style, it's important to note where that style is coming from and why it's being heard on what is a Bossa Nova tune from Brian Wilson. It's as spot-on for that specific Gilberto-London sound as such a track may call for to work in that style.

And it works terrifically and is a great nod to the classic Bossa style that most Americans in the 60's were familiar with. Of course that's just my opinion.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 19, 2015, 10:03:11 PM »

Why do we always have to be extra positive about everything Brian related?  There's NOTHING wrong with people not liking the Zooey clip.  It has nothing to do with with trying to find a fault in it, but of course a mod of all people had to bring that up.

You should be positive in life, in general, as much as possible. 

If you don't like something like, oh, music (which by nature is usually joyous) or, oh, a beautiful woman like Zooey, perhaps the problem is you.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 19, 2015, 10:12:31 PM »

You should be positive in life, in general, as much as possible. 

If you don't like something like, oh, music (which by nature is usually joyous) or, oh, a beautiful woman like Zooey, perhaps the problem is you.

Obviously you missed the point I was making.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 19, 2015, 10:19:28 PM »

Don't sweat it, I forgive you Smiley

Man, Al looks so friekin' awesome in the preview.  Here, I'll describe my thoughts on the general appearance of both men in the preview video.  By the way, to clarify, I am a heterosexual male, lol.

"Oh sh*t!  Look how cool Al looks!  He's sitll wearing that same damn white suit from 40 years ago and it still looks cool somehow.  I know a lot of weirdos would say his suit is 40 years out of date but he's wearing it like a champ because he IS a champ!

Damn!  After watching Al, when they cut over to Brian's head behind the piano, he looks healthy as hell!  I think it's because Al's so wrinkled, and maybe since Brian's heavier all the collagen makes his face look younger, but damn he's tanned, smiling, maybe he's still going to be with us for a good while making music!  Man, he's so cool!

Back to Al and that great white suit.  Now he's pointing at the crowd like Mike does, but instead of being creepy it looks kinda cool.  If Mike's your creepy uncle Al's more like your fantastically rich uncle who only shows up at family reunions and lives in the Bahamas. 

Back to Brian.  I wonder if he just smiles when he sees the camera looking at him, or if he's really having a good time?  Either way, man he looks great!  Go Brian!"

I don't know if I'm going to be able to stand watching this whole fucking show.  I'll probably pause and start it so many times it'll take a day and half to see the whole thing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: March 20, 2015, 12:58:56 AM »

Did we see the same trailer?  Zooey was note perfect - the way Brian likes it - had the Jobim jazz thing down and she's beautiful. The visuals? - She looked like she was singing into a microphone in a recording studio to me. ;-)  That struck me as consistent with portraying the idea of recording a song for NPP for the trailer since she wasn't at the live show.  I'm unclear what the problem is.  I happen to love the song, too.  Ah, we all have our opinions.

Rest of the track & Brian's vocals were fine. Just that, IMHO, Deschanel's vocal - which was indeed technically fine - was too insipid for my tastes. I don't do ickkle girly singers, is all. Hearing the track in isolation on the album might change my mind, but in that particular context, it was incongruous. And as others have stated, she looked bored as hell.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: March 20, 2015, 01:04:45 AM »

Me too. Perhaps trying to find fault with something for the sake of finding fault and telling everyone about it? This board deals in that too often.  Grin

Well that's me told and no mistake. I voiced my honest opinion. As for finding fault for the sake of it and telling everyone about it... I think others have that particular rancid market cornered. Oddly, the mods never slap their hands over it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:15:53 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: March 20, 2015, 01:13:17 AM »

Otherwise... well oh my oh gosh oh gee.  Grin

*cough* Julie London
*cough* Astrud Gilberto

*cough*  Smiley

Given my immense and increasing age, I'm well-versed in these singers, thanks. The difference is that London could sing and Gilberto had an indefinable gauche charm. I've checked out some other Deschanel stuff. Insipid imitation. Bleh.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnndddddd... done. It's entirely possible that I'll not be able to make any reasonable comments on the album version anyway, given the current (and possibly lasting) ridiculous state of my hearing. An increasingly deaf Beach Boys fan - fucking hilarious, ain't it ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 01:25:49 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 20, 2015, 01:50:25 AM »

Did we see the same trailer?  Zooey was note perfect - the way Brian likes it - had the Jobim jazz thing down and she's beautiful. The visuals? - She looked like she was singing into a microphone in a recording studio to me. ;-)  That struck me as consistent with portraying the idea of recording a song for NPP for the trailer since she wasn't at the live show.  I'm unclear what the problem is.  I happen to love the song, too.  Ah, we all have our opinions.

Rest of the track & Brian's vocals were fine. Just that, IMHO, Deschanel's vocal - which was indeed technically fine - was too insipid for my tastes. I don't do ickkle girly singers, is all. Hearing the track in isolation on the album might change my mind, but in that particular context, it was incongruous. And as others have stated, she looked bored as hell.

Rather than looking at her in a "she seems bored" way, look at it like she's "on the island" and she's so freakin' relaxed that she's almost falling asleep. Brian and her just shared one of the fattest doobies. The cigarette burn on the living room table is a marijuana cigarette.

What doesn't make a lick of sense though is why the "On The Island" footage that's obviously recording studio footage is there in the middle of a video promoting a LIVE AND IN CONCERT!!! television special....

They could have at least faked it. Gotten her to perform at a later date on the same stage, interspersed with shots of the audience when there actually was one....

But hey, if that non-live footage of that "very pretty girl" is the low point in this upcoming special, we've got solid gold on our hands.

Blondie Chaplin, Ricky Fataar, Billy Hinsche, and Alan Jardine performing on the same stage as Brian Wilson in 2015? Shoot me out of a cannon into the sun, I must be dreaming.

No mas, por favor.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: March 20, 2015, 06:56:37 AM »

The “Soundstage” special looks f***in’ awesome, about ten times better than I expected, and we’ve only seen two full songs and a four minute trailer. To objective point out why some might not be superfans of Zooey Deschanel’s bit is not a terribly “negative” outlook. I don’t even dislike her performance. It seemed fine. I don’t want to start a s**tstorm by actually voicing a potentially negative opinion about a song or two on this album, but “On the Island” as a song doesn’t sound terribly interesting to me. Zooey Deschanel’s voice isn’t less interesting than the song itself, and therein may lie why some folks might come away with a sort of “meh” attitude about that one little clip. Some people aren’t super into the tropical, bossa nova sort of thing.

I’ve heard some of her other stuff, and none of it sounded bad. Her cover of “Christmas Day” was charming. I think there was some other “She & Him” stuff I heard that sounded better than anything BB-related she’s done. I have a recollection of hearing some stuff from one of those albums and it sounded a little more groovy and interesting, a bit of a hippy late 60’s vibe.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: March 20, 2015, 07:05:10 AM »

Deschanel stands there a little bit stiff, but I like her singing anyway. I haven't paid attention to what and how she usually sings, though.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 20, 2015, 07:21:07 AM »

Great live version of The Right Time! Works much better for me sans the Adult Contemporary 90s production touches.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #523 on: March 20, 2015, 07:46:24 AM »

As I said, we all have our opinions.  "Insipid" is not a term that I would apply to Zooey Deschanel on any level, even if a person doesn't like her demeanor or appearance in this particular video.  I personally love the Jobim style and I thought Zooey really nailed it.  As far as my further comments that clearly weren't referring to your post, I did find the attack on this beautiful young woman's appearance so over-the-top that it was absurd, so I had a little fun with it, as did GF.  The woman is being attacked for being "cute?"  That makes no sense to me, and feels a bit sexist, to be honest.   
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 20, 2015, 07:52:47 AM »

As I said, we all have our opinions.  "Insipid" is not a term that I would apply to Zooey Deschanel on any level, even if a person doesn't like her demeanor or appearance in this particular video.  I personally love the Jobim style and I thought Zooey really nailed it.  As far as my further comments that clearly weren't referring to your post, I did find the attack on this beautiful young woman's appearance so over-the-top that it was absurd, so I had a little fun with it, as did GF.  The woman is being attacked for being "cute?"  That makes no sense to me, and feels a bit sexist, to be honest.   

She can come over and sing at my house anytime!  I'll be happy staring at her for hours...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx