gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681071 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 10:49:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ricky Fataar's studio drumming  (Read 2495 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2008, 11:13:10 AM »

Some posts in the Dennis thread inspired me to make this one. I had no idea Ricky played on It's OK. He's listed as one of the drummers on KTSA, so Endless Harmony isn't out of the question, but are there any other KTSA songs or any other CATP or Holland tracks he played on? And for that matter, is all the drumming on CATP and Holland done by Ricky?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:41:03 AM »

He was more or less the drummer on CATP:ST and Holland, yeah.  That era's not my area of expertise so I don't remember all the specifics, but a lot of the basic tracks were just Carl, Ricky, and Blondie "jamming" it out.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:44:52 AM »

Ricky's the drummer on all the CATP musicians contracts.  Ricky says Brian played the drums on "Funky Pretty" b/c Ricky was sick with a bad cold and didn't make the session. 

As for KTSA tracks:  Keepin' The Summer Alive, Sunshine, and Endless Harmony.  Plus some outtakes.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:08:22 PM »

Some posts in the Dennis thread inspired me to make this one. I had no idea Ricky played on It's OK. He's listed as one of the drummers on KTSA, so Endless Harmony isn't out of the question, but are there any other KTSA songs or any other CATP or Holland tracks he played on? And for that matter, is all the drumming on CATP and Holland done by Ricky?

It's Ricky and Dennis drumming together on It's Ok. It's pretty cool. On the four beat, Dennis hits his floor ton instead of the snare, while Ricky hits the snare, creating a killer effect.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 03:10:06 AM »

It's Ricky and Dennis drumming together on It's Ok. It's pretty cool. On the four beat, Dennis hits his floor ton instead of the snare, while Ricky hits the snare, creating a killer effect.

The credits for "It's OK" as printed on the album aren't accurate. Many years ago I asked Roy Wood what it felt like playing sax for Brian on the original session (late October 1974) and without a pause he replied that he didn't - he'd played drums. The horns were Nick Pentelow & Mike Burney. Not saying that Ricky and/or Dennis didn't overdub or replace the drum tracks, but..

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 03:42:25 AM »

"The credits for "It's OK" as printed on the album aren't accurate. Many years ago I asked Roy Wood what it felt like playing sax for Brian on the original session (late October 1974) and without a pause he replied that he didn't - he'd played drums. The horns were Nick Pentelow & Mike Burney. Not saying that Ricky and/or Dennis didn't overdub or replace the drum tracks, but"

Well, I'm inclined to believe it's Dennis/Ricky... If you watch the 76 "NBC Special" footage, Dennis plays the drums exactly like on the record, which was kinda rare for him with parts he didn't originally play. A lot of people were probably around the studio and sitting in and playing on this and that and memories can get muddy. Just look at the wrecking crew's comments for proof of that.... Of course, I could be completely wrong.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 04:11:20 AM by erikdavid5000 » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 04:42:11 AM »

"The credits for "It's OK" as printed on the album aren't accurate. Many years ago I asked Roy Wood what it felt like playing sax for Brian on the original session (late October 1974) and without a pause he replied that he didn't - he'd played drums. The horns were Nick Pentelow & Mike Burney. Not saying that Ricky and/or Dennis didn't overdub or replace the drum tracks, but"

Well, I'm inclined to believe it's Dennis/Ricky... If you watch the 76 "NBC Special" footage, Dennis plays the drums exactly like on the record, which was kinda rare for him with parts he didn't originally play. A lot of people were probably around the studio and sitting in and playing on this and that and memories can get muddy. Just look at the wrecking crew's comments for proof of that.... Of course, I could be completely wrong.

Well I know it's been said (back in the days) that Roy Wood played drums on Brian & Marilyn's version of "Honeycomb" (which I've never heard), and I think that was cut at the same session.  Like Andrew said, Roy could've drummed on the basic track of "It's OK" and Brian could've enhanced or replaced that part with Ricky and/or Dennis.  Matter of fact, I recall Earle Mankey saying that the Roy Wood session produced only PART of the track for what became "It's OK" (without getting up to look, I think he said it was the "Find a Ride" part, in other words the part that became the verse and tag).  The rest (the chorus) could've been taped at a later session and edited together with the track from the Roy Wood session, ala "Good Vibrations", and then the whole thing could've been overdubbed with vocals and other instruments to make it flow as one unified song.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx