gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681072 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 12:33:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: mike and bruce just encored with wild honey  (Read 7947 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »

Nope! I don't have the cd or the dvd. Without even listening, the live show for me was and is better left live.  That's how I want to remember it. It was THE best time in my touring life. I'd rather listen to an audience recording of the show. The rawness is captivating. I've heard some youtube stuff that I liked. Most, to All, with a few exceptions, live recordings get taken into the studio and everything but the drums gets re recorded. There is not one live Eagles Album. Even my own live Cowsills in concert was "sweetened" at united (ocean way) back in the day. My dad had already kicked my brother Bill out of the band for smoking pot and hanging out with guys like Waddy and Brian. So you hear my brother Bob introduce himself like he's Bill. Just BS. We weren't able to re sing much back then.  But at least it was organic and natural. OH and they didn't have auto tune either. hahahahahahaha don't ya hate that sh*t! I mean it has a place but only a dash could be fine here and there but the over use is equivalent to making a cake with just frosting or making a whole wooden table out of wood filler... just saying. But I have not heard the live album nor viewed the dvd and probably may not... man I would love to hear all the raw recordings and see the raw footage. And i wish they had recorded ALL the shows. It got better and better as it progressed...anyway. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. From the players in the Bar to big shots everywhere...enjoy the music..ALL KINDS!!!!!

Right on, John!  You're exactly right, you guys were sounding better and better with every passing show. By Wembley, you guys were unstoppable.  Keep up the great work and see you at a show hopefully soon!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »

Nope! I don't have the cd or the dvd. Without even listening, the live show for me was and is better left live.  That's how I want to remember it. It was THE best time in my touring life. I'd rather listen to an audience recording of the show. The rawness is captivating. I've heard some youtube stuff that I liked. Most, to All, with a few exceptions, live recordings get taken into the studio and everything but the drums gets re recorded. There is not one live Eagles Album. Even my own live Cowsills in concert was "sweetened" at united (ocean way) back in the day. My dad had already kicked my brother Bill out of the band for smoking pot and hanging out with guys like Waddy and Brian. So you hear my brother Bob introduce himself like he's Bill. Just BS. We weren't able to re sing much back then.  But at least it was organic and natural. OH and they didn't have auto tune either. hahahahahahaha don't ya hate that sh*t! I mean it has a place but only a dash could be fine here and there but the over use is equivalent to making a cake with just frosting or making a whole wooden table out of wood filler... just saying. But I have not heard the live album nor viewed the dvd and probably may not... man I would love to hear all the raw recordings and see the raw footage. And i wish they had recorded ALL the shows. It got better and better as it progressed...anyway. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. From the players in the Bar to big shots everywhere...enjoy the music..ALL KINDS!!!!!

Yeah, I guess you don't really need to hear it. I was very frustrated to hear the songs that rocked like hell in concert (the car medley for example, just good ol' rock'n'roll) but whatever they did to the recordings the life is not there. The drums are not very audible like they should be imo and like they were live. Everything sounds... well, kinda flat and plastic. Just like most TV shows I see on (german) TV for the last 10 years... Flown-in applause here, studio recording there. It's even sadder when realizing that this could've been the best Beach Boys live album - or at least the second best.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cowsii
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 11:04:20 AM »

But for the masses who missed it maybe it'll be great to them. There's nothing to compare it with. I just never listen to anything really. Except old recordings of all my favorite singersBeach Boys included. I can't critique the product Joe Thomas has put out. And anything I've said here is by no way a critique of said product. Just every "Live" album I put on that isn't a bootleg has been messed with. My first live Eagles album,even tho craftily done to make you think it's live, was TOTALLY re recorded and then later confirmed by a few close to the project. And plus I can't stand to hear how I played something and go "oh sh*t! I slowed down there...oh I sped up there...oh man I wish I could do that one again..." hahahaha those who play will know what I mean...hahahaha Peace to all and long live the music of our minds heart and soul
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »

But for the masses who missed it maybe it'll be great to them. There's nothing to compare it with. I just never listen to anything really. Except old recordings of all my favorite singersBeach Boys included. I can't critique the product Joe Thomas has put out. And anything I've said here is by no way a critique of said product. Just every "Live" album I put on that isn't a bootleg has been messed with. My first live Eagles album,even tho craftily done to make you think it's live, was TOTALLY re recorded and then later confirmed by a few close to the project. And plus I can't stand to hear how I played something and go "oh sh*t! I slowed down there...oh I sped up there...oh man I wish I could do that one again..." hahahaha those who play will know what I mean...hahahaha Peace to all and long live the music of our minds heart and soul

Don't worry, your playing on the album is fine. They just turned the drums too low on some spots imo.
To be honest, some songs on the new album have been messed with so much that it's hard not to realize that.
To me one of the biggest desasters is "Isn't it time". Al's part in the chorus is the studio recording (double tracked) which during the same line fades out and into a - single tracked - live recording. I was speechless when I first heard this. And I'm by no means an expert.
Some of the recordings made the rounds before as they come from the Japan show (Chiba?) that was broadcasted on japanese TV IIRC. They were already worked on but sounded ok. It just got really heavy for this album.
Anyway, it's always easy to talk about the bad parts. I guess that many people will actually enjoy a big part of the album as tehre are also good points.

BTW the unplugged stuff they did for Rolling Stone was awesome. If you haven't heard/seen that you can find a link in the Pro Shot Concerts List in my signature.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:31:55 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cowsii
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 11:39:52 AM »

Do you know if there is a recording of the Un plugged Grammy museum show that we did? That was the night they unveiled the Beach Boys exhibit.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 11:58:51 AM »

John, thanks for the "back in the day" story at United. Good stuff!

Speaking of off-topic, the other night I was looking at some Cowsills clips on Youtube (Rain/Park/Other Things are my favories) and saw you guys being interviewed by Joan Rivers. You guys were looser than gooses on there and having a great time! Cracked me up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXPK2UDpPzY

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »

Do you know if there is a recording of the Un plugged Grammy museum show that we did? That was the night they unveiled the Beach Boys exhibit.

As far as I know there was some recording (filming) going on. But as of yet nothing but amateur videos have appeared and the amateur video has disappeared from youtube. All infos that I have come from this thread:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14341.0.html

Would love to see/hear the event. It was near the end of the anniversary tour and everybody seemed to be in great form
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:01:23 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 06:14:05 AM »

"it's fun to sing."  "I don't think I'm Carl."
These 2 phrases go very well together. Thanks again for writing your honest thoughts about WH performance, Mr. Cowsill. You definitely can't & won't be able to sing like Carl. However, no one else can do better on that song than him - it's too difficult, you know.

If you're really John Cowsill, that was easily the best post I've ever read.
You seriously ask this question? Of course it's John Cowsill aka the drummer of The BBs band. Or how could it be that he has 6 stars under his name & the "Honored Guest" label? Speaking of the post itself, I tend to disagree with it because the studio re-recordings of concerts don't bother me much, I like listening to the artificial live shows, mostly they are great! Besides, I don't think there's a big difference between those & the ones with real stage sound. Nevertheless, I respect Cowsill's point of view; the story from the past is especially interesting.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 06:44:01 AM »

"it's fun to sing."  "I don't think I'm Carl."
These 2 phrases go very well together. Thanks again for writing your honest thoughts about WH performance, Mr. Cowsill. You definitely can't & won't be able to sing like Carl. However, no one else can do better on that song than him - it's too difficult, you know.

If you're really John Cowsill, that was easily the best post I've ever read.
You seriously ask this question? Of course it's John Cowsill aka the drummer of The BBs band. Or how could it be that he has 6 stars under his name & the "Honored Guest" label? Speaking of the post itself, I tend to disagree with it because the studio re-recordings of concerts don't bother me much, I like listening to the artificial live shows, mostly they are great! Besides, I don't think there's a big difference between those & the ones with real stage sound. Nevertheless, I respect Cowsill's point of view; the story from the past is especially interesting.
Of course it is John Cowsill. You're correct.  It is candor.  And, that C50 was probably a "full-circle" fulfilling experience for him, applying all the skills he acquired, even as a prodigy drummer in his family's Cowsills band. He did his family proud.  He seems to have a natural built-in "metronome" to keep time as a performer, and as a "blend" singer. 

The real deal are  the "live" recordings done by the amateurs on YouTube.  And, I think John Cowsill is the real deal in life.  He is not Carl.  Size 18 shoes!  Even Brian can't sing like Carl.  He had that soulful R&b thing going as well as that tender yearning quality for GOK.  I think John does an masterful job with the leads and co-leads he does.

And,  I could not even imagine having the pressure of even attempting to sing a Carl Wilson lead.  It must be a humbling experience.  I would bet every one of those guys just breaks a sweat thinking of trying to sing one of Carl's leads. But, I think John does justice to Carl's work.  He does his best, consistently, at every show I've ever seen.

And, I'm all for the unfiltered and unvarnished video and sound.  It gives the real ambiance and flavor of the show, the spontaneous audience applause and enthusiasm.   Wink
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 08:12:19 AM »

Of course it is John Cowsill. You're correct. It is candor. And, that C50 was probably a "full-circle" fulfilling experience for him, applying all the skills he acquired, even as a prodigy drummer in his family's Cowsills band. He did his family proud. He seems to have a natural built-in "metronome" to keep time as a performer, and as a "blend" singer. 

The real deal are  the "live" recordings done by the amateurs on YouTube. And, I think John Cowsill is the real deal in life. He is not Carl. Size 18 shoes! Even Brian can't sing like Carl. He had that soulful R&b thing going as well as that tender yearning quality for GOK. I think John does an masterful job with the leads and co-leads he does.

And I could not even imagine having the pressure of even attempting to sing a Carl Wilson lead. It must be a humbling experience. I would bet every one of those guys just breaks a sweat thinking of trying to sing one of Carl's leads. But I think John does justice to Carl's work. He does his best, consistently, at every show I've ever seen.

And I'm all for the unfiltered and unvarnished video and sound. It gives the real ambiance and flavor of the show, the spontaneous audience applause and enthusiasm. 
You know what, Beach Girl (if I'm right, that's how "filledeplage" translates from French), I usually very enjoy what you write, lots of interesting info in your posts, even if sometimes it's very hard to understand (too many unknown terms/words & so on). And this post is no exception, many fair points you expressed here (f.ex. that Brian can't sing like Carl), but I'll stick to what I've said: I'm glad for others - including you - having a good time listening to Cowsill's rendition of WH, it's just not my cup of tea.
I actually like unfiltered video & sound. I think what I was trying to explain is that I don't see much difference between the real & re-recorded concerts. They're almost the same. I don't mind if audience responses are fake or the arrangements are re-done in the studio - with nowadays' modern technical tricks it's possible to re-create/achieve the live sound. Therefore, easy to imagine as if you're hearing the real stuff.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 11:09:32 AM »

Of course it is John Cowsill. You're correct. It is candor. And, that C50 was probably a "full-circle" fulfilling experience for him, applying all the skills he acquired, even as a prodigy drummer in his family's Cowsills band. He did his family proud. He seems to have a natural built-in "metronome" to keep time as a performer, and as a "blend" singer.  

The real deal are  the "live" recordings done by the amateurs on YouTube. And, I think John Cowsill is the real deal in life. He is not Carl. Size 18 shoes! Even Brian can't sing like Carl. He had that soulful R&b thing going as well as that tender yearning quality for GOK. I think John does an masterful job with the leads and co-leads he does.

And I could not even imagine having the pressure of even attempting to sing a Carl Wilson lead. It must be a humbling experience. I would bet every one of those guys just breaks a sweat thinking of trying to sing one of Carl's leads. But I think John does justice to Carl's work. He does his best, consistently, at every show I've ever seen.

And I'm all for the unfiltered and unvarnished video and sound. It gives the real ambiance and flavor of the show, the spontaneous audience applause and enthusiasm.
You know what, Beach Girl (if I'm right, that's how "filledeplage" translates from French), I usually very enjoy what you write, lots of interesting info in your posts, even if sometimes it's very hard to understand (too many unknown terms/words & so on). And this post is no exception, many fair points you expressed here (f.ex. that Brian can't sing like Carl), but I'll stick to what I've said: I'm glad for others - including you - having a good time listening to Cowsill's rendition of WH, it's just not my cup of tea.
I actually like unfiltered video & sound. I think what I was trying to explain is that I don't see much difference between the real & re-recorded concerts. They're almost the same. I don't mind if audience responses are fake or the arrangements are re-done in the studio - with nowadays' modern technical tricks it's possible to re-create/achieve the live sound. Therefore, easy to imagine as if you're hearing the real stuff.
Yes, Range Rover - the translation is correct.   What I mean by Carl's vocal superiority is that he had not only a range but style that for whatever reason seems to excell those of both Dennis and Brian, and maybe it's unfair to compare them, but there was an "earthy" (such as Here Comes the Night)  groove as well as a "creamy smooth" in God Only Knows.  Even Dennis had Carl do a lot of his vocals.  I think his vocals became the core post 1966. And that since his passing it's been an effort to do justice to his work. JMHO

And, I do enjoy the WH by Cowsill because it's been eons since that song has been done live. It was a huge step out of the safety zone.  I think.  I like the 73/74 Sail on Sailor with Blondie and that 73/4 seems truer sonically than C50.  There is an old Blondie doing WH in England I think.  Cool as well.

And, I just converted C50 for iPhone and am wondering if I did something wrong. It does not sound like the shows I saw live, and those YouTube clips.  I'm no sound expert but played it on Harmann Kardon (old) car system, and fiddled with the controls trying to get it to sound "live." I could hear Brian, Mike (Al only on lead) and the Wondermints.  (Great singers, but not MY Boys) And Brian and Mike did not sound as wonderful they do live. Al was the only one who sounded like Al, to me. ( I hate to even write this. It feels so disloyal. )

And, I wish that they had given the production work to Al and the band members, to pick out their best versions of each song. Al did meticulous work on Postcard.  It would have been worth the wait.  

Lots has been said about ProTools and editing.  Some programs tend to "sanitize" to the point where the final version doesn't sound like the original.  They are perfect at 70 as ever.  I'm just a fan.  Wink
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:14:27 AM by filledeplage » Logged
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »

Am I the only huge Cowsills fan on here?

'we can fly' is a sunshine  pop masterpiece...such a fantastic album, and 'on my side'...more country tinged power pop. Total quality band
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:23:02 PM by BergenWhitesMoustache » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 01:51:57 PM »

'we can fly' is a sunshine  pop masterpiece...such a fantastic album, and 'on my side'...more country tinged power pop. Total quality band

No, you're not alone. I saw them live about a month or so ago, when they were inducted into the Rhode Island Music Hall of Fame.  Great band! Still.  It was such a treat to see them.

p.s. John Cowsill and Nelson Bragg made C50 a very special event, with their precision on percussion and their obvious passion for the music. 
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 04:15:04 PM »

No, you're not alone. I saw them live about a month or so ago, when they were inducted into the Rhode Island Music Hall of Fame.  Great band! Still.  It was such a treat to see them.

p.s. John Cowsill and Nelson Bragg made C50 a very special event, with their precision on percussion and their obvious passion for the music. 

are there any original members left in the touring band?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 04:27:41 PM »

who gives a damn?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 05:42:51 AM »

are there any original members left in the touring band?
Mike Love and Bruce Johnston ("principals" - defined by LiveNation)
Original - Mike
Veteran as of 1965 - Bruce
oldsurferdude
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 06:30:53 AM »

who gives a damn?
Exactly.  Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 07:05:29 AM »

Bet that BRI does!  Wink
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 07:21:12 AM »

I really love the On My Side album. In addition to some of the country-tinged stuff, I'd also add that there's a nice helping of tunes that wouldn't be out of place on a late 60s or early 70s Beach Boys album. "Can You Love?"..."The Mystery Of Life," etc, etc. Beautiful, pastoral, sublime vocals and arrangements. Bob Cowsill never really got the credit he deserved after Bill's initial departure, IMHO.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »

Huge - maybe. As for me, I'm a casual Cowsills fan. But what I like from their catalog I do like very much, e.g. We Can Fly (great sunny song!), Siamese Cat, Beautiful Beige, Father, Silver Threads & Golden Needles (outstanding vocal work!), Love American Style (ditto), The Fantasy World of Harry Faversham (dig the spectacle kind of singing-"narration"). In short, another good band undeservedly overlooked by the public & mass media.

No, you're not alone. I saw them live about a month or so ago, when they were inducted into the Rhode Island Music Hall of Fame. Great band! Still. It was such a treat to see them.

Are there any original members left in the touring band?
Original - Mike
Veteran as of 1965 - Bruce.
From my understanding, seems to me bgas was asking about the original members of The Cowsills, coz you told the story about you going to their concert. I'm sure that everyone knows who are the original members of The Beach Boys. Actually, I'd be really surprised if such a simple fact was questioned. Esp. by one of the most knowledgeable fans/collectors like bgas.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »

Huge - maybe. As for me, I'm a casual Cowsills fan. But what I like from their catalog I do like very much, e.g. We Can Fly (great sunny song!), Siamese Cat, Beautiful Beige, Father, Silver Threads & Golden Needles (outstanding vocal work!), Love American Style (ditto), The Fantasy World of Harry Faversham (dig the spectacle kind of singing-"narration"). In short, another good band undeservedly overlooked by the public & mass media.

No, you're not alone. I saw them live about a month or so ago, when they were inducted into the Rhode Island Music Hall of Fame. Great band! Still. It was such a treat to see them.

Original - Mike
From my understanding, seems to me bgas was asking about the original members of The Cowsills, coz you told the story about you going to their concert. I'm sure that everyone knows who are the original members of The Beach Boys. Actually, I'd be really surprised if such a simple fact was questioned. Esp. by one of the most knowledgeable fans/collectors like bgas.
Very sorry about that. I thought he meant the Touring Band; Susan, Bob, Paul and from what I could tell some of the children. John did join in for that occasion, which had a segment with them and another RI Music HOF band.  They still sound spectacular. 
(bgas is pretty BB savvy and I admit I was a mite perplexed.   Wink
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 02:57:19 PM »

Original - Mike
Very sorry about that. I thought he meant the Touring Band; Susan, Bob, Paul and from what I could tell some of the children. John did join in for that occasion, which had a segment with them and another RI Music HOF band.  They still sound spectacular. 
(bgas is pretty BB savvy and I admit I was a mite perplexed.   Wink

gee I feel so warm and fuzzy all of a sudden thanxx to the two of you.....   and i get the touring cowsills to boot( which, yes, was my query)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx