gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681074 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 07:15:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: mike and bruce just encored with wild honey  (Read 7948 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »

And a sick guitar solo by scott totten. nuff said.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »

And a sick guitar solo by scott totten. nuff said.

Thought they were recording.  Shocked  Gotta hand it to Mike, truly a road warrior! One day in the studio, next off to aa gig back East.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »

Hope Scott gets well soon.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 09:08:25 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:07:07 PM by zatch » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 09:32:14 PM »

Don't stress! Dave and Al can cover for him as the C50 is back on. Roll Eyes

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/life/tickets-to-the-beach-boys-at-borgata-and-other-local/article_1184d058-ca15-11e2-b89f-0019bb2963f4.html
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »

i am surprised you guys are not freaking out about this like i am. could this be the first time they played wild honey since 1972?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »

i am surprised you guys are not freaking out about this like i am. could this be the first time they played wild honey since 1972?

Umm,  they started doing it last month. Cowsill sings it. There was a thread on it and Cowssill even posted.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lMtYa1QoawU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlMtYa1QoawU

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 03:58:29 AM »

Carl sang it in Madison Square Garden in '75 or '76

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 04:28:33 AM »

I was at the Garden shows over Thanksgiving when they encored with Wild Honey. 16 years old and I was like 'WOW". Great version too by Carl.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 07:31:48 AM »

What else did they play in Englewood last night? Very glad to hear "wild honey" is still in the set...I'm fairly certain it debuted at their last gig in NJ in early April.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »

Umm,  they started doing it last month. Cowsill sings it. There was a thread on it and Cowssill even posted.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lMtYa1QoawU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlMtYa1QoawU

oops, welI I must not have seen that thread. Was it clearly labelled? I have developed this habit with this board of not clicking on a thread based on the title.

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 09:39:22 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15478.0.html

under m & b tour 2013

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 12:08:18 PM »

Yeah, there you go. I figured that thread would just be full of people arguing that Mike & Bruce weren't the real band and they were a bunch of greedy jerks and blah blah blah same thing we've been reading for years.

I'm kinda glad I didn't know about it in advance, it was a wonderful surprise.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »

Yeah, there you go. I figured that thread would just be full of people arguing that Mike & Bruce weren't the real band and they were a bunch of greedy jerks and blah blah blah same thing we've been reading for years.

Ya almost have to read every thread here, since you never know when someone will change the subject

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »

It's gonna be the new album on Mike and Bruce's new album of rerecordings of Beach Boys classics. The lyrics are going to be changed to be more Beach Boys like, however...
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 09:58:04 PM »

While it's very cool that Cowsill loves the song and convinced Mike to do it, it's not like Carl came back from the grave and ripped it out. It's only slightly more exciting than if Papa Do Run Run had done it. If they had done it on the C50, that would have been cool.

That said, Cowsill does a great job of singing while bangin them drums.

Cowsii
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 10:15:30 PM »

I didn't convince Mike to do it. I was asked to sing it seeing how no one else was up to the task. Yeah it's fun to sing. So is Crying by Roy Orbison. So is I'll cry instead. I was as surprised as the rest of you here when Wild Honey was put out there. Like I've said before. I'm just the drummer. I don't think I'm Carl. OUCH on the papa dig. What'd i do to you...Enjoy the music, people.
Cowsii
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 10:17:36 PM »

OH! and thank you for the nice compliment at the end.  Has anyone here ever seen the norther lights?
Cowsii
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 10:25:25 PM »

I meant to put off topic before I asked about the northern lights
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 11:06:06 PM »

You do a fine job on the tune, John!  Love your work in the band.  Hope to see you guys if you come by the LA area in the future.

By the way, any chance you picked up the new Live album just released a couple weeks ago?  Any thoughts on it?.... is it a nice memento of the tour for you? 

Rock on!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 11:16:32 PM »

I didn't convince Mike to do it. I was asked to sing it seeing how no one else was up to the task. Yeah it's fun to sing. So is Crying by Roy Orbison. So is I'll cry instead. I was as surprised as the rest of you here when Wild Honey was put out there. Like I've said before. I'm just the drummer. I don't think I'm Carl. OUCH on the papa dig. What'd i do to you...Enjoy the music, people.

Yeah, you nailed it John. Being a medicore bass player who can't chew gum and play at the same time, your performance knocks me out. Sorry, rather see you with all the Beach Boys vs. Mike/Bruce.

Papa played my Prom with Dean Torrance way back when so they have a special place in my heart. So not that big a slight. Rock on man.

Will check out N L.

Cowsii
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 08:41:08 AM »

Nope! I don't have the cd or the dvd. Without even listening, the live show for me was and is better left live.  That's how I want to remember it. It was THE best time in my touring life. I'd rather listen to an audience recording of the show. The rawness is captivating. I've heard some youtube stuff that I liked. Most, to All, with a few exceptions, live recordings get taken into the studio and everything but the drums gets re recorded. There is not one live Eagles Album. Even my own live Cowsills in concert was "sweetened" at united (ocean way) back in the day. My dad had already kicked my brother Bill out of the band for smoking pot and hanging out with guys like Waddy and Brian. So you hear my brother Bob introduce himself like he's Bill. Just BS. We weren't able to re sing much back then.  But at least it was organic and natural. OH and they didn't have auto tune either. hahahahahahaha don't ya hate that sh*t! I mean it has a place but only a dash could be fine here and there but the over use is equivalent to making a cake with just frosting or making a whole wooden table out of wood filler... just saying. But I have not heard the live album nor viewed the dvd and probably may not... man I would love to hear all the raw recordings and see the raw footage. And i wish they had recorded ALL the shows. It got better and better as it progressed...anyway. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. From the players in the Bar to big shots everywhere...enjoy the music..ALL KINDS!!!!!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »

Thumbs Up

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 08:53:16 AM »

Nope! I don't have the cd or the dvd. Without even listening, the live show for me was and is better left live.  That's how I want to remember it. It was THE best time in my touring life. I'd rather listen to an audience recording of the show. The rawness is captivating. I've heard some youtube stuff that I liked. Most, to All, with a few exceptions, live recordings get taken into the studio and everything but the drums gets re recorded. There is not one live Eagles Album. Even my own live Cowsills in concert was "sweetened" at united (ocean way) back in the day. My dad had already kicked my brother Bill out of the band for smoking pot and hanging out with guys like Waddy and Brian. So you hear my brother Bob introduce himself like he's Bill. Just BS. We weren't able to re sing much back then.  But at least it was organic and natural. OH and they didn't have auto tune either. hahahahahahaha don't ya hate that sh*t! I mean it has a place but only a dash could be fine here and there but the over use is equivalent to making a cake with just frosting or making a whole wooden table out of wood filler... just saying. But I have not heard the live album nor viewed the dvd and probably may not... man I would love to hear all the raw recordings and see the raw footage. And i wish they had recorded ALL the shows. It got better and better as it progressed...anyway. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. From the players in the Bar to big shots everywhere...enjoy the music..ALL KINDS!!!!!

If you're really John Cowsill, that was easily the best post I've ever read. It's really refreshing to be reminded the guys playing our favorite music are just as big of fans as anyone, and that you prefer that raw, live sound. You did a great job bringing it to the show I saw last year!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 09:02:40 AM »

Smart move John. Steer clear of the terrible (IMO) live CD/DVD and just enjoy the magic of the youtube vids and your own memories  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx