gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680895 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 10:46:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Like A Brother  (Read 7004 times)
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2011, 03:24:01 AM »

I have been thinking about this for awhile...after the mid 1970s I don't think Carl thought much of his big brother, musically at least. Wasn't it Carl that stayed back in the studio after Brian went home to tidy up the 15 Big Ones stuff ? Carl was the "mix down producer" on Love You, even though he has been quoted as personally hating it. When Brian got his groove going on stage Carl was the one holding him back. This situation continued off and on up to the point where Carl stormed out of the mid 1990s Brian produced BB sessions. Granted, Carl was instrumental in calling in Dr Landy and then calling in the conservator, in effect saving Brian from himself twice.

Just looking back over the albums, the ones where Carl is more prominent Brian is less so, while the mostly Brian ones Carl keeps his distance...I doubt that Lay Down Burden was about Carl as much as Like A Brother was about Brian.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 03:31:32 AM »

I've never heard that Carl hated Love You. I remember reading quite the opposite that he considered really reworking those songs--rather than just tweaking them a bit-- but that he finally decided it was great as it was.

Doesn't mean you aren't right. I have this theory that Brian Wilson has the type of talent that squashes other talents like a bug; meaning that other egos tend to take a back seat to Brian's muse; which, as a creative person, Carl might have bridled against.
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 03:40:11 AM »

Families are a strange thing at the best of times. Being in the fishbowl world that the Wilson brothers were in would have magnified all kinds of issues. I imagine Brian would have felt a bit squashed after POB came out

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 04:04:35 AM »

Carl was right to restrain Brian onstage during the 70's, cos of the unsurprising fact that Brian was showing signs of severe mental illness -mashing keys on the piano at random, playing bass with similar care and process, turning up in a bathrobe, etc. Duh.

As for 'storming out' of sessions etc, Carl had the right not to like music his brother writes. I've never heard he stormed out, just that he simply didn't want to do any more Paley tracks. Also, duh.

Carl basically produced Love You - what do you think a 'mixdown producer' means, anyway? - and is all over it, vocally and instrumentally. And If Carl wanted to tidy up incredibly sloppy Brian mixes for 15 Big Ones, the bands most important record (commercially speaking) since Smile, can you really blame him? He was a beach boy too, dammit. He was entitled to mix his own freakin' records, have a say in his own stage show, and choose which songs he played and sang on.

I've never been on the bloo, but i'm getting an idea.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 04:14:16 AM »

I never considered going on that other mb. Funnily enough I agree that Carl had the right to his own opinion on the direction that the BB should have gone as BW had lost the plot. After all he quit in 1981 on principle, which is admirable, but just doing that created damage to the group.

Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:17:01 AM »

I never considered going on that other mb. Funnily enough I agree that Carl had the right to his own opinion on the direction that the BB should have gone as BW had lost the plot. After all he quit in 1981 on principle, which is admirable, but just doing that created damage to the group.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 07:42:44 PM »

Was Carl on any of the bonus cuts of Like A Brother that were re-released?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 09:36:49 PM »

When Brian got his groove going on stage Carl was the one holding him back.
Yes... it was certainly Carl who held back that scintillating live performer Brian Wilson. He would have been so much better if it wasn't for Carl.  LOL Thud Ahhh!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 09:54:07 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EPXBQV3yM

Brian Wilson's groove sure was goin' that night, and look -- Carl wasn't holding him back at all! If, that is, he could have managed to do so. Them hips are outta control! LOL
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 03:24:47 AM »

I've never heard that Carl hated Love You. I remember reading quite the opposite that he considered really reworking those songs--rather than just tweaking them a bit-- but that he finally decided it was great as it was.

Doesn't mean you aren't right. I have this theory that Brian Wilson has the type of talent that squashes other talents like a bug; meaning that other egos tend to take a back seat to Brian's muse; which, as a creative person, Carl might have bridled against.

funny how if the Carl reworking/mix was released...there'd prolly be the Brian mix (the released mix) floatin around the unofficial release unit.  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:26:35 AM »

funny how if the Carl reworking/mix was released...there'd prolly be the Brian mix (the released mix) floatin around the unofficial release unit.  Wink

Ummm... Carl did substantially more than just "tweaking them a bit".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 08:50:14 AM »

Ok, he did a lot.
But, to your knowledge did Carl ever diss Love You? I thought I remember him saying somewhere that the album was 'charming.'
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 07:08:45 PM »

After listening to the rough demo boots of love you, I was left feeling that the songs could have been MUCH better produced. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 07:34:18 PM »

After listening to the rough demo boots of love you, I was left feeling that the songs could have been MUCH better produced. 

Whenever I listen to the Love You demos, I always think of how amazing it would sound with Pet Sounds type production. Then I listen to the actual album and I really dig it the way it is - and I LOVE that Brian recently said publicly how awesome the album is.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 08:36:21 PM »

Are the demo's the ones where Brian is sitting around the piano belting out the new songs?? Where you hear Mike get a little excited in a few spots? I may or may not have heard the Brian produced Love You album.. can someone fill me in please!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »

Yes, I am talking about the one where the band (Mike?) is listening to Brian belting out IBHN.  That raw material could have had better final production. Maybe it was the production sound of the era they were shooting for.  Certainly the raw material was very substantial and any number of approaches might have worked.   The Brian produced Love You?  Not sure I've heard any of that.  Perhaps someone from Ohio could address this?
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 11:56:47 PM »

I've never heard any of that either. Didn't know that it existed.
I've heard the demos.
Can someone at least describe it? the original unfinished version that Carl polished up--or more than polished up? Just so I don't incur the wrath of anyoneswhen I say something inaccurate due to the fact that I haven't heard every tape or mix in the vault?

I know what you mean about Love You having been better produced. I don't know. I think it's probably more accurate to say it could have been more commercially produced. It is off the deep end, and that is a big part of it's charm, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:23:19 AM by lance » Logged
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 03:18:43 AM »

I love the songs and the melodies on Love You, but what makes it one of my favourite albums of all time, and one i play more than Pet Sounds or Smile, is the production and performances. So low key, so homemade. Charming is a great word to describe it.

A 'better' production might have made a more commercial album, but perhaps an album without its primary charms. The rolling, buzzing, squelching, organic sounds of those analogue synths are out of this world.

A few more backing vocals wouldn't have gone amiss, but i look at it as a Wilson Brothers album, with Mike and Al guest spots, rather than a full-fledged BBs album.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 08:12:28 AM »

I love the songs and the melodies on Love You, but what makes it one of my favourite albums of all time, and one i play more than Pet Sounds or Smile, is the production and performances. So low key, so homemade. Charming is a great word to describe it.

A 'better' production might have made a more commercial album, but perhaps an album without its primary charms. The rolling, buzzing, squelching, organic sounds of those analogue synths are out of this world.

I agree, this is exactly what makes Love You such a perfectly special record despite its occasional shortcomings. It's Brian Wilson in full "Magic Transistor Radio" mode writing and producing both aching love songs and incredibly infectious little ditties about the universe, listening to Phil Spector, and basically about meeting girls. Let's face it, what more could you ask for? Most of the synth arrangements are every bit as breathtaking as anything the group had done before and personally I'm glad they didn't try to emulate their classic '65/'66 production style. Come to think of it, as a solo artist BW has now been doing just that for quite a few years and we all know it's just not the same. It wouldn't have been the same in 1977 either.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 01:09:31 PM »

Yes, I am talking about the one where the band (Mike?) is listening to Brian belting out IBHN.  That raw material could have had better final production. Maybe it was the production sound of the era they were shooting for.  Certainly the raw material was very substantial and any number of approaches might have worked.   The Brian produced Love You?  Not sure I've heard any of that.  Perhaps someone from Ohio could address this?

as you know i'm from ohio ( Smiley ) so check your pm....
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:18:39 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 05:33:31 PM »

Yes, I am talking about the one where the band (Mike?) is listening to Brian belting out IBHN.  That raw material could have had better final production. Maybe it was the production sound of the era they were shooting for.  Certainly the raw material was very substantial and any number of approaches might have worked.   The Brian produced Love You?  Not sure I've heard any of that.  Perhaps someone from Ohio could address this?

as you know i'm from ohio ( Smiley ) so check your pm....

Cough** Cough..Please sir

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 05:45:56 PM »

Earlier versions of the 15 Big Ones material show that Carl's production help may not have always been as good of thing as you'd think. Carl's mixes are cleaner, true, but they're not as exciting and some of the musical parts are lost.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 03:38:53 AM »

Who did the early version of "Rock and Roll music" that was played on the radio after an interview with Carl ? That version rocks and seemed to be very cool (as far as you can tell)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 12:20:24 PM »

I've never heard either the early 15 BO or the earlier R&R Music... can someone please tell me more?

Seriously, though, I didn't even know they circulated...I'm really out of the loop lately.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 01:14:45 PM »

If someone could supply me with a personal message I'd be very thankful. angel
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx