gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 03:19:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's vocals (or lack thereof) on All Dressed Up For School  (Read 3358 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2015, 02:34:22 PM »

Fascinating revelation about how Brian isn't singing the falsetto on the choruses of this song, but instead Al is.

A few questions come to mind:

Are there any other songs from the pre Pet Sounds era on which falsetto vocals are handled by someone other than Brian, or is this the only one?

Is Brian audible on this song vocally? I'd swear that I hear him on the group vocal stack, but then again, finding out that Al is in fact doing the falsetto on the choruses makes me think that possibly Brian isn't vocally on it. Am I nuts?

And the unusual configuration (giving Carl a significant lead for his first song - the dual-lead vocal on Summertime Blues excepted) and Al singing falsetto instead of Brian (when Brian is clearly present in the studio on the session tape, and could have handled that vocal if he wanted to) makes me wonder if this was some sort of test for trying out the vocal configuration of only the touring members of the band, with Brian intentionally taking a back seat - perhaps to see if the band could better replicate a given song in a live setting compared to the studio version, if the same guys were singing the same parts on both live + studio. Maybe an attempt to lessen any disparity in perceived quality between live + studio, since post '63 it rarely (if ever) was the same exact people heard on songs in those two settings. Just a theory. Curious what everyone else thinks.

I also think this song is so killer that it could have been released as a single. I wonder if that thought ever crossed Brian's mind during the song's formation/recording, and I also wonder who planted the seed of doubt about releasing it. Was it Brian himself, Murry, Mike, the record company? Was this the first example of Brian getting cold feet about his strongest material? I personally think this is a top-tier BB tune, one of their very best pre-66 songs.

And would it really have been a problem for a lyric to say "ooh what a turn-on" in this era? Would this lyric have actually made the record bannable in some record stores, or unplayable over radio?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:39:42 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 02:37:38 PM »

Hear hear! This one was one of the first BB's songs that I really got into, to the point of obsession. That amazing "whirlpool of harmony" -part, recycled so many times after this one, never found a better place than this one. Great lyrics, and the bass section really booms!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »

Great discovery about the track CD! Really shows the lessor tracks were just as important in BW's songwriting development

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 03:03:39 PM »

And the unusual configuration (giving Carl a significant lead for his first song - the dual-lead vocal on Summertime Blues excepted...

"ADUFS" was recorded 9/16/64: Shut Down, Volume 2, with Carl's first solo lead, "Pom Pom Playgirl", was released 3/2/64.

Never ceases to amaze me how much Alan can sound like Brian...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »

And the unusual configuration (giving Carl a significant lead for his first song - the dual-lead vocal on Summertime Blues excepted...

"ADUFS" was recorded 9/16/64: Shut Down, Volume 2, with Carl's first solo lead, "Pom Pom Playgirl", was released 3/2/64.

Never ceases to amaze me how much Alan can sound like Brian...

Thanks, AGD. As I typed it, I admittedly was not quite sure if I was getting my facts correct there! Although, I'd *almost* consider Pom Pom Playgirl a co-lead between Carl + Mike, considering Mike finishes off each verse; maybe an 80/20 split. ADUFS seems to be more fully Carl's baby vocally by comparison, in my eyes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 11:01:05 PM »

I also wonder who planted the seed of doubt about releasing it. Was it Brian himself, Murry, Mike, the record company?

I can't answer this, but Brian claims "Girl Don't Tell Me" was the first song Carl "dug" singing lead, so ADUFS seems not to have been one of Carl's favorite tunes either.

Personally, I feel that something in the song's arrangement is off - in a structural way rather than in instrumentation - which I can't really pinpoint. I can't see this as a single at all. My favorite incarnation of this melody is "I Just Got My Pay", but I like ADUFS better than "Marcella".

I must lend an ear to the vocals now.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 11:19:01 PM »

Evolved from the "Honda 55" jingle recorded 15 days earlier, btw...  Grin

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 01:25:32 AM »

Listened to it. I'm pretty sure Brian is in the mix, from the first "dit" on. I wouldn't have noticed it's not Brian on falsetto if it hadn't been pointed out to me. Is it Brian on falsetto again on the word "school" at the end of the chorus?

I don't think this was an experiment for touring without Brian - this was recorded before that famous breakdown on the plane.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 02:51:47 AM »

Another cool fact I never previously knew. Thanks.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 03:53:22 AM »

What was this for? Honda commercial?

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 03:57:26 AM »

If so, never used.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »

Listened to it. I'm pretty sure Brian is in the mix, from the first "dit" on. I wouldn't have noticed it's not Brian on falsetto if it hadn't been pointed out to me. Is it Brian on falsetto again on the word "school" at the end of the chorus?

I don't think this was an experiment for touring without Brian - this was recorded before that famous breakdown on the plane.

I think you're right, that Brian is most likely heard on the "dit" parts... yet I would also have sworn it was Brian on the chorus until I heard the vocals-only version. Brian was clearly trying to switch things up vocally on this song in terms of who sang what. Maybe there was no real reason for it other than trying something new, though I'm not completely convinced that's the case.

Another nagging question... for the life of me, I can't place the connection between this song and Marcella. I totally hear it with I Just Got My Pay, of course, as that is a near clone in terms of much of the arrangement, yet Marcella I can't hear what parts were borrowed from ADUFS. Anyone want to clue me in? It's probably obvious and right under my nose.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 12:49:36 PM »

There isn't a straight line, but the verse of "ADUFS" and "IJGMP" are all but identical (as you've noted), while the intro to "Pay" is clearly recycled as the verse of "Marcella". So, no direct line of descent, more like second cousins once removed but only when there's an R in the month.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 12:51:27 PM »

Another nagging question... for the life of me, I can't place the connection between this song and Marcella. I totally hear it with I Just Got My Pay, of course, as that is a near clone in terms of much of the arrangement, yet Marcella I can't hear what parts were borrowed from ADUFS. Anyone want to clue me in? It's probably obvious and right under my nose.

The "Well she first caught my eyes running round in shorts" becomes "well I could take and cycle 'way my dough..." which in turn becomes "Brave new woman standing proud and dazzling". There's not much connection between All Dressed Up For School and Marcella separately, but when you listen to all three back to back you can definitely hear that Marcella's a rewrite of I Just Got My Pay is a rewrite of All Dressed Up For School.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 12:53:36 PM »

(koff) "sock away my dough" (koff) Cheesy

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »

(koff) "sock away my dough" (koff) Cheesy
Indeed. Not that that actually makes any more sense Wink

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 01:09:55 PM »

Sock, as in put in a sock and hide away.  Smiley

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 01:32:02 PM »

Sock, as in put in a sock and hide away.  Smiley
I just wish I could still make me 6% a year. Ain't seen that kind of interest in decades. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »

There isn't a straight line, but the verse of "ADUFS" and "IJGMP" are all but identical (as you've noted), while the intro to "Pay" is clearly recycled as the verse of "Marcella". So, no direct line of descent, more like second cousins once removed but only when there's an R in the month.

Ahh, got it. I never made that connection, since I was just focusing on locating non-existent similarities between ADUFS and Marcella. But I do hear the IJGMP -> Marcella connection for sure.

I'm really glad that IJGMP wasn't released as an album track. Those lyrics stink! Nobody would want to hear a rich rock star pretending to be a working class guy, and the specific money/saving references are way too on the nose. It worked when some other bands of the era sang from a different class perspective, but it doesn't work at all in IJGMP, IMO.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:28:03 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »

And would it really have been a problem for a lyric to say "ooh what a turn-on" in this era? Would this lyric have actually made the record bannable in some record stores, or unplayable over radio?

I think it's not just the 'what a turn-on' by itself, but in conjunction with the fact it's someone getting 'dressed for school'. Now, we'd assume it was a high school student and not younger, but it's still a bit 'hinky' considering the band members (save Carl) were adult age by this point.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 09:03:10 PM »

I think it's not just the 'what a turn-on' by itself, but in conjunction with the fact it's someone getting 'dressed for school'. Now, we'd assume it was a high school student and not younger, but it's still a bit 'hinky' considering the band members (save Carl) were adult age by this point.

Maybe it's about a teacher with Lolita-style fantasies... Just like that song by The Police!

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx