gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 08:48:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Reimagines Gershwin  (Read 107887 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 16, 2010, 10:38:27 AM »

I am definitely close to writing a lot more about this album. It has real depths.

How about this, though -- for the first time in over 40 years, a Brian Wilson record has theremin? And not on one song, but on four (?!).

There are layers to this thing. Layers.

...But didn't he use theremin on his cover of "I'm Into Something Good" a couple of years back?

But to anticipate your response, using a theremin on a Gershwin covers album (on four tracks!) sounds pretty cool.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: August 16, 2010, 11:05:11 AM »

I think it helps to have some familiarity with Gershwin ahead of time.  The material (save the 2 "new" songs) is already rattling around in my head from the distant past... one instance where it helps to be an old-timer!

This album is better with each listen... can't believe how good "Nothing But Love" is...

Yeah when I first heard about this project last year I jumped into the Gershwin library to hear as much
as I could. I knew a good amount from being a fan of Sinatra, Ella & Louis and learning jazz charts - but I didnt know enough. So I basically
prepared myself more this past year to get familiar with the material.

I agree "Nothing But Love" is fantastic, it's so Brian

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 16, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »

...But didn't he use theremin on his cover of "I'm Into Something Good" a couple of years back?

Hmm.  Never noticed that.  There's a little sweet melody in the back just before the chorus, but I always thought that was Carole's voice.  Damn.  Somehow that makes it worse, lol.  I'm going to keep pretending there's no Theremin on it. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 16, 2010, 12:27:53 PM »

Always thought it was a musical saw or something -- that's what makes the theremin-like sound on "Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long" on BW88.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 16, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »

I literally thought it was Carol, just doing a beach boys riff.... 'oooh WEEEE ooooh ooooooo' something tells me I'm inta something good!"
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 16, 2010, 04:10:55 PM »

Instead of Brian (or Carole) singing that falsetto on "I'm Into Something Good" (as in the Herman's Hermit's version) Brian used the theremin for that part. Who knows why. If he couldn't sing it himself, he shoulda had Foskett sing it. It's like something's missing. To me, that high "oooh eeee oooh" vocal part is an intergal part of the song that helps to make it the classic pop tune that it is. The theremin sounds weak on Brian's version, but the rest of it ain't bad.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 16, 2010, 04:28:45 PM »

I think the whole song wasn't taken very seriously... it seems like Carol King just wanted to do some stuff with Brian, and they hung out for a few hours and came out with that, and the sing along other version of "Good Kinda Love".  It's got some more of Brian's crazy fingerprints on it like the bass harmonica and that wild acapellaish part.  I think they were just messing around with no real intent to make a single out of it or anything. 
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 16, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »

I think the whole song wasn't taken very seriously... it seems like Carol King just wanted to do some stuff with Brian, and they hung out for a few hours and came out with that, and the sing along other version of "Good Kinda Love".  It's got some more of Brian's crazy fingerprints on it like the bass harmonica and that wild acapellaish part.  I think they were just messing around with no real intent to make a single out of it or anything. 

Exactly why it's so good!  Grin  More low-key rock tunes Brian, please!

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 16, 2010, 05:17:48 PM »

It's amazing the album is pre-ordering so well on various sites but in typical Brian Wilson fashion the promotion has been dreadful.

yay.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 16, 2010, 05:22:05 PM »

Number 5 and rising on Amazon US!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 16, 2010, 05:25:13 PM »

Thank god for word of mouth and postive reviews because that's the only way people are hearing about this album  Grin

mtaber
« Reply #386 on: August 16, 2010, 05:32:51 PM »

Plus from me blasting it in my car with the windows down...
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 16, 2010, 05:38:58 PM »

While listening to some of the more ballady type songs on BWRG, the tone of Brian's voice reminded me of his singing on "Oh Lord"; that spiritual, gut wrenching cry.  Anyone else hear this?  Since "Oh Lord", there have only been a handful of songs that carry that sort of emotional weight that requires that kind of singing: the tag of the BW88 Melt Away, Cry, Midnight's Another Day...any others we can think of?

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 16, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »

is that definitely a theremin on "I'm Into Something Good"?
sounds like a slide guitar to me.

I'm all over the iTunes version of BWRG at midnight. hello bonus track!!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:28:42 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 16, 2010, 08:54:32 PM »

It's out on itunes now.

I sampled "I'm Into Something Good", sounds great

jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: August 16, 2010, 09:10:53 PM »

It's amazing the album is pre-ordering so well on various sites but in typical Brian Wilson fashion the promotion has been dreadful.

I disagree this seems like it's been a pretty good promotional push to me.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 16, 2010, 10:20:48 PM »

i finally own this album!!! listened to the live stream on Sunday, but now I can really spend some time with it.

"Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" is a great addition, with Taylor dueting.
There is a glaring use of auto-tune I gotta say, at the 1:55 mark. Brian has a Cher moment.

I really don't hear it throughout the record though and I've been listening on headphones.

This album is just such a joyful experience. Brian's voice will always be an obstacle to some, but the sheer joy here is undeniable. The arrangements, harmonies, and instrumentation are brilliant and startling..... and pure Brian.

So Wonderful that Brian is in such a good place and hitting the ball out of the park on a regular basis. He has come full circle in so many ways with this one.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: August 16, 2010, 11:20:09 PM »

It's out on itunes now.

I sampled "I'm Into Something Good", sounds great

I seriously doubt it - not on the album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 17, 2010, 01:45:39 AM »

i truly love this album...

i had to remove Summertime and Porgy from the running order... i prefer them as bonus tracks along with "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off"

Summertime is one of the most overplayed songs of all-time in my opinion and i just can't get into it.
it's a gorgeous arrangement, but kind a letdown after TLIILY.

Porgy I just can't take very seriously, which is fine... and Brian does a great job singing it.
but honestly it's hard for me to listen to anyone but Nina Simone's version (thanks to Brother John!)

so yeah, skipping straight to "Plenty o'Nuttin" after TLIILY is the way to go.

great vocal on "Ain't Necessarily So" ...haven't heard that little rasp in Brian's voice for awhile.
loving the brazilian feel on S'Wonderful... Brian's first bossa since Busy Doin Nothin!

gotta keep absorbing the rest! oh happy day
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 17, 2010, 02:01:29 AM »

Is 'Here Come De Honey Man' on it? In disguise perhaps?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 17, 2010, 02:03:16 AM »

Plus from me blasting it in my car with the windows down...

Oh... so that is the weird sound we in Holland heard from over the Atlantic...

chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 17, 2010, 03:16:11 AM »

Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: August 17, 2010, 04:16:31 AM »

Alas, no - probably just as well, for I can think of several old-timers (your truly included) who would have died laughing had that come to pass.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 17, 2010, 04:50:23 AM »

Alas, no - probably just as well, for I can think of several old-timers (your truly included) who would have died laughing had that come to pass.  Grin

Grin Hi Andrew... your post brought a big, big smile on my face just now...

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: August 17, 2010, 05:08:56 AM »

I like the album generally, Brians singing is enjoyable. I'm not that keen on 'It ain't necessarily so' or 'Our love is here to stay' (reminds me of those terrible Rod Stewart standards albums). The Brian 'trademarks' get a little overdone - clarinets etc (which i'm sure weren't used that much in the 'classic' days), but overall it's okay, thankfully light on the hideous twangy 'surf' guitars which are all over some of his other recent solo work.

Favourites include 'Nothing but love' which is ace and very Brian-ish, I could listen to a whole album of this sort of stuff from Brian easily....also like 'S'wonderful', 'The like in I love you' which has a lovely melody, I also really like 'Someone to watch over me' which though is undoubtedly very 'retro' in that 60s way is a great song and works very well. Not too keen on 'I got rhythm' or anything that tries to pretend it's 1964 (this applies to some more of Brians solo stuff - the best retro sound achieved on Brians stuff was during the Paley sessions which have a rawness and live feel which is pretty thrilling).

To my ears, some of the best Brian songs of recent years would include the aforementioned 'Nothing but love' and 'Message Man' from the TLOS sessions, pop-rock songs that seem to pop out of nowhere without getting too bogged down in being referential or profound, anyway I digress....

Overall, an enjoyable album which I would put up with OCA (my favourite Brian album) in the top tier of BW albums and may come back to more often than not.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx