gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 06:49:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Backstage at the Cuthbert Amphitheatre "UPDATE"  (Read 44651 times)
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »

I hope 50 Big Ones turns out to a Smile Sessions-esqe 5 disc set of 15 Big Ones material.

Yes!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »

SurfRider, Please tell us that the '74 California Feeling demo will be on it as well. I actually have even more interest in Dennis' "I've Got a Friend" studio instrumental track, but there isn't a chance in hell....

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »

SurfRider, Please tell us that the '74 California Feeling demo will be on it as well. I actually have even more interest in Dennis' "I've Got a Friend" studio instrumental track, but there isn't a chance in hell....

Why not? You never know. Hell, if they'll put Punchline on a boxset....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2012, 05:06:33 PM »

Stranger things have happened, it's true, esp. If Alan Boyd is guiding the selection of bonus cuts, but he may well justifiably feel he has gone above and beyond the call of duty with TSS and all his previous herculean efforts, and, given his recent illness, be taking a well-deserved hiatus from the archival fray. Knowing him, though, this would be a capper to all that came before and a difficult project to turn down, if he's up to it health-wise. Heartening to see that he will be participating in the Adam Marsland Chaos Band concert on Aug 3. So glad that you're on the mend, Alan!

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2012, 05:58:33 PM »

I'll tell ya', hijinks aside...I like hearing the news about the box set and the inclusion of Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again!  I've been waiting a long time to hear that track.  It's like my Holy Grail of lost Beach Boys songs.

Well, not to be a stick in the mud, but he didn't *exactly* say WIBNTLA in the *same* frame as the box set itself. My only fear is that the band gets some nutty ass idea to somehow desecrate the original track and "finish" it up as a new track. Didn't Joe Thomas make reference to an "unreleased Dennis song" as potential, future band fodder? I'm not against finishing up tracks, in principal, when they're just shells to begin with, but everything we've been told is that this is already a glorious, dense, full-blown production -- missing only a guitar solo that's really not all that missed. Vintage perfection.

Then again, if the OP *is*implying that they're finally going to release it on the box set, well, that would indeed be fab! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 05:59:43 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »

OMG just put the Adam version in the original key MIND BLOWN

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2012, 09:10:50 PM »

I hope 50 Big Ones turns out to a Smile Sessions-esqe 5 disc set of 15 Big Ones material.

I'd like that.  A lot, actually.

Now I'm sweaty.  And that's not just the bath salts talking.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2012, 12:58:44 AM »

After all this hype, "50 Big Ones" better be a boxset of 50 cds of unreleased material!!

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2012, 02:35:43 AM »

I'd like that.  A lot, actually.

Now I'm sweaty.  And that's not just the bath salts talking.

I'd love to see that too!

We Gotta Groove, complete Love You/15BO backing tracks, Runnin' Bear, Calendar Girl (I think this was recorded a couple years later, but still), Sea Cruise, lots of pictures of BW wearing his messianic robe, alternative mix of 15BO, That Special Feelin', Love You demos, Shortenin' Bread x3, Adult/Child... What's not to like?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2012, 03:57:28 AM »

We Gotta Groove, complete Love You/15BO backing tracks, Runnin' Bear, Calendar Girl (I think this was recorded a couple years later, but still), Sea Cruise, lots of pictures of BW wearing his messianic robe, alternative mix of 15BO, That Special Feelin', Love You demos, Shortenin' Bread x3, Adult/Child... What's not to like?

What's interesting is that some of the best stuff wasn't used for 15 Big Ones. Shake, rattle & roll, the original Rock'n'Roll music and more...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2012, 06:17:56 AM »

What's interesting is that some of the best stuff wasn't used for 15 Big Ones. Shake, rattle & roll, the original Rock'n'Roll music and more...

Absolutely agree.

Personally, I don't mind the overall concept of 15BO at all but the actual album definitely suffers from poor song selection and some equally poor production/mixing choices... (I love the Moog, mind you!) Could've been a lot better...

"Michael Row the Boat Ashore" is another nice outtake that comes to mind.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2012, 06:57:02 AM »

So in the first post of this thread, the poster is "in transit back to Hawaii" from Oregon, and then two days later, the poster is "traveling the Oregon coast"?  Hmmm.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2012, 07:08:57 AM »

An international man of mystery!

50 Big Ones is kind of an obvious, but lame, name...though to be honest...the content is all that matters and to complain about the title is just my attempt to be funny!  I just hope they can come up with a better cover than "15 Big Ones" had...which looks like something that a highschool kid did in art class (sorry, Dean)....though it is an Olympic year...so maybe they could tie in the interlocked rings?

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2012, 07:11:07 AM »

oh god
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2012, 08:24:47 AM »

50 Big Ones is the name of the 50th reunion's (tour/album/etc...) production company, and has been for at least six months if not a year. Surprised nobody here knows that.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2012, 08:28:53 AM »

50 Big Ones is the name of the 50th reunion's (tour/album/etc...) production company, and has been for at least six months if not a year. Surprised nobody here knows that.

Right. Howie mentioned that a while ago.

BTW, this is the worst thread ever.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2012, 08:34:57 AM »

So in the first post of this thread, the poster is "in transit back to Hawaii" from Oregon, and then two days later, the poster is "traveling the Oregon coast"?  Hmmm.

Odd.
Doesn't he wanna go straight to hawaii (hawaii) hawaii (hawaii), straight to hawaii (hawaii, hawaii)?

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37:07 AM »

Perhaps he's Chuck Williams, the World's Most Interesting Man.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »

waiting and waiting

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2012, 10:37:23 AM »

JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2012, 10:51:54 AM »

What's interesting about some old alcoholic duffer with a scruffy face, trying to look tough by making a fist and squinting one eye?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:20:39 AM by JanBerryFarm » Logged

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2012, 10:56:39 AM »

I'm calling this post "Japan is Crazy about the Beach Boys Part 2a."

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2012, 12:50:50 PM »

Is this guy Kenny Rogers' dad?

Evil

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2012, 07:03:18 AM »

well well well
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2012, 07:34:37 AM »

This title - if it is the title of the upcoming release -  naturally brings to mind the 2 CD Stones compilation of 2002, Forty Licks. The release of FL was timed for the start of a year-long Stones tour and thanks partly to that - and thanks to the fact it was full of mostly classic Stones tracks (first time their pre-1971 hits were on an album with their post-1971 ones) instead of boring new stuff, it was a huge success, going to #2 on the US and UK charts and #1 on some of the European charts. The Capitol brass may have it in mind.

The problem here is that the Beach Boys equivalent, if it is 50 tracks, could essentially consist of the ones on Sounds Of Summer, 15 or so tracks that were featured on this tour, and maybe something like WIBNTLA, or some '60s song in its first true stereo mix, thrown in. Which would not be all that thrilling. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx