gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680986 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 02:19:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Isolating the Do You Like Worms melody line from the Smile Box  (Read 2771 times)
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2014, 09:12:17 AM »

As most of you probably already know, on disc 3 track 1 (DYLW session) of the Smile Sessions set, we hear a tantalizingly brief melody line sung by Brian: "Once upon the Sandwich Isles..."

The fragment already integrates pretty well into my personal mix of Do You Like Worms, but unfortunately his vocal is accompanied by loud tapping (because he was setting the tempo for the session players).

My question is, has anyone attempted to remove the taps? Is it even possible to isolate Brian's vocal? It seems like it would be very tricky but it would sound so much better in the mix.

Please let me know if anyone has attempted this or is willing to try.... I recall that someone was able to remove the piano from the IIGS and Barnyard demos, so maybe it's possible. If so, a post (in wav format) of just that isolated vocal track without the taps would be great. Any takers?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:13:47 AM by Mr. Tiger » Logged
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:58:31 PM »

It's difficult, because the tapping is fixed on the vocal track, which appears to be Brian through the talkback mic in the control room. Here's something I came up with in like 10 minutes... 

https://www.mediafire.com/?vexrvh49pqwldgq

This would be the left channel isolated and panned center (eliminating the in-studio stick clicks), with the attack of the taps simply edited out.  Technically the diphthongs Brian was singing under taps is also removed here the "p" in upon and the "i" in isles.  But the vocal melody goes so fast and the rest is in tact, it's not really missed if you don't think about it and know what he's singing in the first place

The other way is to isolate the frequencies of the clicks themselves and have them digitally removed using a program like Izotope.  The poster to do it would be seltaeb1012002 probably.  Not sure the results though... 

Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 05:04:22 AM »

Thank you so much for taking a shot at this!
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:20:30 AM »

Does anyone have a program like Izotope and would like to try to remove the clicks using the strategy described above?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:23:24 AM »

I'll give it a try, I have isotope. Give me the track / time

OK

This isn't  perfect. There are artefacts. I'm sure others could do better, but I'd got rid of some the thumps. Any more and the vocal ducked too much. Best I could do.

I'm not leaving this on soundcloud long as I don't want to get rapped with a copyright notice. Tell when you've downloaded it

https://soundcloud.com/wrongbutton-1/worms-vox

Though I'd use soniclovenoises if I were you. It's better than mine.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:19:38 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »

I got it! Thank you! I appreciate the efforts so far. This isn't easy to do.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 10:14:42 PM »

What's he singing anyway?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 08:37:18 AM »

Once upon the Sandwich Isles the doo doo doo
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx