gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680883 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 03:28:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 161 162 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1412128 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3900 on: June 27, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »

So I did pick up the Record Store Day release of Song Cycle put out by Warner Bros and I just found and bought a fresh copy of Song Cycle put out by Sundazed and it says Stereo. For now, the first one I bought has been taken out of the wrap, this one, however, I left in the wrap. What was the mix of the Record Store Day release? Mono?

Which would be better? Ive only had the album on cd for a couple of years so I'm not largely as familiar with it as I would be with Beatles or Beach Boys albums.

RSD release was mono!

(i really want one)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: June 27, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »

I saw in the record store today, the Capitol Years Boxset (vinyl) in not so great condition for 120$!

Is that worth it?
I bought one from a friend 6 months ago in very good condition for 50$.

How does everyone feel about this set?
I truly enjoy how the songs are set up, a Pet Sounds side, a side of live (Concert/Live in London/Party!), a side for Today!/Summer Days, a side of Smile(y), a side of Wild Honey with Gettin Hungry and Wake the World and Friends, a side for Friends/20/20 stuff, a side of car songs, a side of surfing stuff). Great one for record collectors.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3902 on: June 28, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:00:57 PM by zatch » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: June 28, 2013, 02:34:32 PM »

This would definitely fall under this topic:

As many of us know in the sixties, The Beatles had their own cartoon series produced for them which featured the Fabs in cartoon follies alongside featuring Beatles music in each episode.

Anyone ever ruminate about what a Beach Boys cartoon would be like?  What would the storylines be for instance?  It's just that there would be so much material to work with in my opinion anyhow.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: June 28, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »

I saw in the record store today, the Capitol Years Boxset (vinyl) in not so great condition for 120$!

Is that worth it?
I bought one from a friend 6 months ago in very good condition for 50$.

It's a nice set, but I don't think I would pay $120 for one in mint condition.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: June 28, 2013, 06:14:12 PM »

As many of us know in the sixties, The Beatles had their own cartoon series produced for them which featured the Fabs in cartoon follies alongside featuring Beatles music in each episode.

Anyone ever ruminate about what a Beach Boys cartoon would be like?  What would the storylines be for instance?  It's just that there would be so much material to work with in my opinion anyhow.

Didn't they try to develop one in the mid 70s?  I think I remember hearing about it on this board actually.  I don't think it was ever produced but I remember seeing a model sheet, could have just been clever fan art though.

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: June 28, 2013, 09:13:57 PM »

Here's your answer!   LOL Grin Rock!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-q810D8cahzQ/T4mZTMkPCYI/AAAAAAAAAXY/02Dp_-Oe86o/s640/Good+Vibrations.jpg
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: June 28, 2013, 09:22:24 PM »

Did you see my storylines for the Beach Boys sitcom a few months back?
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: June 28, 2013, 10:29:56 PM »

no where is that?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: June 29, 2013, 02:45:09 AM »

Didn't they try to develop one in the mid 70s?  I think I remember hearing about it on this board actually.  I don't think it was ever produced but I remember seeing a model sheet, could have just been clever fan art though.

I vaguely remember reading something about this in one of the fanzines. Seems that Jack Reiley decided that it would be better if the group concentrated on their live shows.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: June 29, 2013, 10:26:52 PM »

Here's what I was referring to. 

Like I said, could just be clever fan art but it does look very convincingly like the cheesy Saturday morning cartoons of the '70s.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: June 29, 2013, 10:43:51 PM »

What's this about a "hidden part" to All This Is That? I've never heard or read anything about it, until this thread.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: June 30, 2013, 06:38:37 AM »

Here's what I was referring to. 

Like I said, could just be clever fan art but it does look very convincingly like the cheesy Saturday morning cartoons of the '70s.

Al is so tall in that!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3913 on: June 30, 2013, 10:46:54 PM »

The orang and whatever's sitting on the hood clinches it for me

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3914 on: June 30, 2013, 10:50:13 PM »

What's this about a "hidden part" to All This Is That? I've never heard or read anything about it, until this thread.

Underneath the verse, starting just after "timeless time of all" (sounds like "two waves travel by"), there's a half buried vocal line, which is partly the Frost poem: once you hear it you realise it's all over, er, under the song. Al was asked about it a good few years ago, and he couldn't remember what it was.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: June 30, 2013, 11:02:28 PM »

Underneath the verse, starting just after "timeless time of all" (sounds like "two waves travel by"), there's a half buried vocal line, which is partly the Frost poem: once you hear it you realise it's all over, er, under the song. Al was asked about it a good few years ago, and he couldn't remember what it was.
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to give it a careful listen.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3916 on: July 02, 2013, 04:05:33 AM »

shouldn't dennis have recorded "april come she will"

he totally should have

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: July 02, 2013, 12:05:23 PM »

Iirc, didn't Mike claim co-authorship for more songs than he was awarded in his mid-90s suit against Brian? If so, which songs didn't he get credit for?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3918 on: July 02, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:00:06 PM by zatch » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3919 on: July 03, 2013, 02:55:53 AM »

Do you think Alan Boyd or Mark Linett may know something about it?

Three guesses who asked ACJ on my behalf...  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3920 on: July 03, 2013, 02:58:41 AM »

Iirc, didn't Mike claim co-authorship for more songs than he was awarded in his mid-90s suit against Brian? If so, which songs didn't he get credit for?

As stated in the Goldmine interview, the original total was 79, which included "Surfin' USA". He was awarded co-authorship on all the 35-odd songs listed in the suit. Up to and including Pet Sounds, the band released 118 titles: this excludes side two of the Xmas album, the live album and Party ! but includes covers and instrumentals. Thus, at best, Mike was claiming to have contributed towards two-thirds of the bands entire output released between November 1961 and May 1966. Subtracting the 24 covers and instrumentals released during that period, that figure rises to 79 of 94, or just over 80%.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:09:08 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: July 03, 2013, 03:34:39 AM »

As stated in the Goldmine interview, the original total was 79, which included "Surfin' USA". He was awarded co-authorship on all the 35-odd songs listed in the suit. Up to and including Pet Sounds, the band released 118 titles: this excludes side two of the Xmas album, the live album and Party ! but includes covers and instrumentals. Thus, at best, Mike was claiming to have contributed towards two-thirds of the bands entire output released between November 1961 and May 1966. Subtracting the 24 covers and instrumentals released during that period, that figure rises to 79 of 94, or just over 80%.
Thank you. Do we know why he didn't push for credit on all 79 in court?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3922 on: July 03, 2013, 03:43:59 AM »

This is just a guess - and barely informed - but possibly his counsel advised him to concentrate on the titles with the best chance of success.

I think we need a campaign to have Jimmy Bowlles given his due credit for "Surfin' USA".

Nicko1234
« Reply #3923 on: July 03, 2013, 03:57:57 AM »

This is just a guess - and barely informed - but possibly his counsel advised him to concentrate on the titles with the best chance of success.

I think we need a campaign to have Jimmy Bowlles given his due credit for "Surfin' USA".

Brian states in a mid-70s interview on Youtube that he wrote Surfin USA with Mike. If Mike's lawyers had been aware of that then it's difficult to see how Mike would not have been given a credit.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:00:39 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
MBE
« Reply #3924 on: July 03, 2013, 04:20:43 AM »

Mike probably did contribute something to many of the original total. The reason I say this is because he was the one to work on little bits of phrasing or lyrics if he or the others felt a little work needed to be done. Why did he settle for the lesser amount? I think if you read the goldmine 1992 interview, much of the bad feeling was that he had been erased from history so to speak. His importance had been overlooked on that end so getting his name on the songs was one of his main goals along with, of course, the money.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 [157] 158 159 160 161 162 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx