gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 12:09:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So what exactly will the 50th Anniversary box set entail?  (Read 31146 times)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2012, 07:22:50 AM »

I'm getting to the point where I hope we hear something like today or tomorrow, now that this is showing up on Amazon!
Yeah, back when the two-fers came out I remember having to wait a few months for each new set of cds. i think They released four cds (that's eight albums) at a time. Those were the days...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2012, 07:49:35 AM »

So judging by that listing, the box will be titled Made In California.

So it won't feature tracks from "Holland"! Cheesy

Release date two days before my birthday.

Hey!  It's coming out only 3.5 months before my birthday.  Everyone, look at me!
Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »

Patience, children... Patience.

The previous projects have all been well worth the wait, and I see no reason why the new box should be any different. Capitol are indeed doing it right this time.

And pissing off someone into the bargain: does it get any better ?  Grin
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:39:04 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2012, 08:42:49 AM »

Really excited for the new box, the BBs and capitol have been really good to us.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2012, 08:47:15 AM »

Really excited for the new box, the BBs and capitol have been really good to us.

Tell me about it. When I think about all the things we have received and what is still to come it blows my mind.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »

I'm hoping that there's more going on that what amazon.de has listed. Are they really going to just let a bunch of their albums go out of print?

I seriously wouldn't worry that much. I'm sure the rest of the albums will be re-released. I can't see why they'd let over half of their catalogue go out of print for no reason. They'll all be out soon enough I'd think. They just aren't putting them all out at once.

Agree, they are obviously wanting to divide the releases, so that many will pick up the new issues of the albums now, then in 1/2 a year or so they will put new mixes of WH/Friends/20-20/ CATP/Holland and perhaps even 15BO/Love You/MIU/LA
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2012, 10:20:18 AM »

And pissing off someone into the bargain: does it get any better ?  Grin

where are you Phil?  LOL
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2012, 11:14:50 AM »

I'm not particularly obsessed with whether this box set arrives or not. But if it is released, those audiophiles on the forum will undoubtedly tell us whether there are static crackles, clipping distortion, "Loudness Wars" mastering or mastering-releated digital drop-outs. I await the verdict from the "experts".

But don't expect Capitol to correct these problems if they occur. There were two very noticeable problems with the previous box set("Good Vibrations:30 Years of The Beach Boys"): Two nasty speed fluctuations on "Do You Like Worms?" & lopping off several notes of the guitar intro on the single version of "Cottonfields". Capitol never corrected either problem.

In any event, the 12 album reissues, the two hits compilations & the box set are apparently the last hurrah for Beach Boys archival projects. I hope not, but Mr.Doe has implied that the well will soon run dry.

As for the problem that I encountered on the Japan CD of "Summer Days...and Summer Nights!", at least it occurred on a song and mix that can be obtained on another Capitol CD; a CD that is already in my collection.

Gotta admire the dude's consistency. Gloomy, gloomier and gloomiest - man could mess up a wet dream.  Grin

"She had a perfect hourglass figure. Gorgeous face. Long, luxuriant blonde hair. Unfortunately, her left ankle seemed a little wobbly. I had a feeling it couldn't be corrected with surgery. I woke up screaming".

what an amazing piece of writing. I mean that.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »

Anyone else thinking that all the two-fer bonus tracks will be on the box set? I say this as there are no bonus tracks on the new remasters.

Yeah. I've thought the exact same thing.

People are bitching that there are no bonus tracks on these new remasters, but frankly, I find bonus tracks just get in the way of the actual album. I'll be very surprised if their not in the boxset.

Since the GV box is going out of print and the 2fer bonus tracks will become unavailable, it's a safe bet most or all of the bonus tracks on those CD's will be appear on the new box.  With 6 CD's to fill, how much previously unavailable complete songs can they find to fill those?  The answer is . . . they can't, so the question is what they will fill up the rest of the box with.  I suspect:  session excerpts and instrumental takes, alternate mixes, vocals only tracks, and LIVE material.
What bonus tracks are we talking here? like the Little Girl I Once Knew (since it was a single and not on an album?) or early cuts of songs like Dance Dance Dance, I'm So Young, Don't Back Down?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »

Anyone else thinking that all the two-fer bonus tracks will be on the box set? I say this as there are no bonus tracks on the new remasters.

People are bitching that there are no bonus tracks on these new remasters, but frankly, I find bonus tracks just get in the way of the actual album. I'll be very surprised if their not in the boxset.

Since the GV box is going out of print and the 2fer bonus tracks will become unavailable, it's a safe bet most or all of the bonus tracks on those CD's will be appear on the new box.  With 6 CD's to fill, how much previously unavailable complete songs can they find to fill those?  The answer is . . . they can't, so the question is what they will fill up the rest of the box with.  I suspect:  session excerpts and instrumental takes, alternate mixes, vocals only tracks, and LIVE material.
What bonus tracks are we talking here? like the Little Girl I Once Knew (since it was a single and not on an album?) or early cuts of songs like Dance Dance Dance, I'm So Young, Don't Back Down?

Probably "Can't Wait Too Long", "Walk On By", "Old Folks At Home/Old Man River", "Celebrate The News", "I Do", etc.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »

Will SIP and Stars and Stripes be included?

My pick for those would be-
-Lahaina Aloha
-Hot Fun in the Summertime
-Strange Things Happen
-Summer in Paradise (MAYBE)

-Caroline No
-Warmth of the Sun
-In My Room
-Sail On Sailor
-Don't Worry Baby
-I can Hear Music

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2012, 02:45:10 PM »

Sorry, but I just have to be annoying and point out that Sail On, Sailor was recorded in California.

and 'Leaving This Town'.

Paulos
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2012, 02:46:06 PM »

-Lahaina Aloha
-Strange Things Happen

-Caroline No
-Warmth of the Sun
-In My Room
-Sail On Sailor
-Don't Worry Baby
-I can Hear Music

I doubt anything off SIP will be included as they seem to be pretending that it doesn't exist, for example the tour program shows the covers for all albums, including Stars & Stripes, up to the Smile Sessions but SIP is nowhere to be found.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2012, 02:47:09 PM »

-Lahaina Aloha
-Strange Things Happen

-Caroline No
-Warmth of the Sun
-In My Room
-Sail On Sailor
-Don't Worry Baby
-I can Hear Music

oh dear lord, please, no !

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2012, 02:49:16 PM »

Probably "Can't Wait Too Long", "Walk On By", "Old Folks At Home/Old Man River", "Celebrate The News", "I Do", etc.

Having them as bonus tracks on the albums wasn't the worst thing in the world, even if they weren't part of the original album. I hope they stay in circulation one way or another.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2012, 02:51:13 PM »

-Lahaina Aloha
-Strange Things Happen

-Caroline No
-Warmth of the Sun
-In My Room
-Sail On Sailor
-Don't Worry Baby
-I can Hear Music

I doubt anything off SIP will be included as they seem to be pretending that it doesn't exist, for example the tour program shows the covers for all albums, including Stars & Stripes, up to the Smile Sessions but SIP is nowhere to be found.

it would be so much better to include unreleased songs from this period instead. and I suspect that's what we'll see !

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2012, 02:52:04 PM »

i'm started to get way too excited about this box! i feel an announcement coming on soon.

dreams of 'lazy lizzie', 'wouldn't it be nice to live again', 'dancin the night away' ... dreams of BRILLIANT SONGS THAT NONE OF US HAVE EVER HEARD OF !
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:53:26 PM by DonnyL » Logged

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2012, 02:53:23 PM »

Is Stars & Stripes even worth listening to? I have a copy, but just can't bring myself to listen. My tolerance for modern country is extremely limited, and the idea of the guys backing modern country singers on modern country arrangements doesn't sound appealing.

Know what would be cool? A track that's an edit of all/the more interesting backing vocals performed by Brian, Carl, Mike, Al and Bruce on this album. No country singers, no country arrangements, just highlights of the very last recordings of "the blend".
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:02:50 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »

Is Stars & Stripes even worth listening to? I have a copy, but just can't bring myself to listen. My tolerance for modern country is extremely limited, and the idea of the guys backing modern country singers on modern country arrangements doesn't sound appealing.

It's worth at least one listen. It's not offensively bad, just pretty mediocre. A handful of tracks, especially "Caroline, No" are really good.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2012, 03:20:45 PM »

Given all the collections and re-issues coming out just prior to the box set, I'm expecting the new box set to be HEAVY on rarities and unissued material- much more so than the earlier box set was. Capitol knows they have to come through with something exciting to ask for that kind of bread.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2012, 03:36:47 PM »

Know what would be cool? A track that's an edit of all/the more interesting backing vocals performed by Brian, Carl, Mike, Al and Bruce on this album. No country singers, no country arrangements, just highlights of the very last recordings of "the blend".

WANT
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2012, 03:49:16 PM »

It's worth at least one listen. It's not offensively bad, just pretty mediocre. A handful of tracks, especially "Caroline, No" are really good.

Cool, I've heard good things about this version of "Caroline, No" before. I'll give it a listen (I GUESS), even if the premise alone is still a drag. Last Beach Boys album with Carl Wilson! Last Beach Boys vocals featuring Carl Wilson! But he's backing Toby Keith.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2012, 03:49:58 PM »

Alan Boyd showed Ponghit that earlier this year. Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »

I'm getting to the point where I hope we hear something like today or tomorrow, now that this is showing up on Amazon!

Doubtful.  We probably won't hear much about this until maybe a month before it comes out.  Don't want to cut in on GH compilations and album re-releases.  Although I have no problem being wrong about this...  :-)

Never heard of 'em.   Roll Eyes

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2012, 08:27:20 PM »

You can already hear a lot of that with the Nashville Sounds documentary they released (twice!) on DVD back in the 90's. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx