gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680980 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 06:24:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stamos accused…  (Read 134329 times)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 02, 2014, 12:01:01 PM »

I have no doubt whatsoever that John Stamos is a lovely guy. What he did for the guy in the wheelchair, and Ethan, proves that to me. I just wish he wasn't up there, trying too hard to be Dennis.
Can't that be placed squarely on the shoulders of Mike Love?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: August 02, 2014, 12:04:11 PM »

Was Dennis ever as considerate of special needs fans as John Stamos is?

If you knew anything about Dennis, you wouldn't ask that question. He was a longtime supporter of the Special Olympics, as it was then called.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:09:40 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 02, 2014, 12:25:07 PM »

The Boys rep and legacy was sealed in honor as America's Band long ago and through today and into the foreseeable future and not even decades of public drunkenness, in-fighting, bizarre and illegal behavior on stage and in public, and assorted unsavory crap that the Boys did themselves have changed that.

I don't think the occasional cheerleaders and Stamos are going to suddenly bring it all down or even lower it a notch after it survived the Boys own legacy killing behaviors and choices. Let's get real. (finger snaps in Z formation)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:33:41 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 02, 2014, 12:26:09 PM »

That's called good will.

Of course! Good will toward the guy who's running the primary Beach Boys fanzine in the world and promoting their careers. It's no wonder you and your son got the red carpet treatment.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: August 02, 2014, 12:28:13 PM »

Uncalled for, Mikey.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 02, 2014, 01:06:12 PM »

"The entire group treated Ethan like one of the gang.  You could argue that is because I do ESQ…and that's probably true.  So what?  Is there something wrong with like-minded people being good to one another?  No."

Mikie only reiterated my previous statement.  Maybe, because he said it he felt more enabled to make it his stance for the sake of argument.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 02, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »

John Stamos has been playing with the Beach Boys for nearly thirty years. Longer than some of the fans here have been fans of the band, and before some were even born yet. It's not like most of the people complaining are the ones buying tickets to see Mike and Bruce, so I don't know what the problem is.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 02, 2014, 01:24:51 PM »

John Stamos has been playing with the Beach Boys for nearly thirty years. Longer than some of the fans here have been fans of the band, and before some were even born yet. It's not like most of the people complaining are the ones buying tickets to see Mike and Bruce, so I don't know what the problem is.

29. First appearance July 4, 1985  in Philadelphia. But I get your point

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 02, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »

Uncalled for, Mikey.

Didn't mean anything negative about it at all. It's just a fact. If I were there, they wouldn't give me the time of day, even though I've supported the band for 44 years. They aren't dumb; they know who David is. It's good will and it probably came from their hearts. They did the right thing. David came away a very happy man, as he should be. He wrote about his great experience here and will probably write about it in ESQ too and people will read it and think how great the Beach Boys are on a personal level.

Watching that YouTube video of Stamos though. He brings the female audience in, but he's really over the top with his on-stage playing/acting. I can see where this non-Beach Boy non-backing musician would piss people off. Especially the hardcore die-hards.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:37:14 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 02, 2014, 01:27:49 PM »

There's always a tension between a band's artistic life and what it has to do to pay the bills and please a large crowd.  The Beach Boys, with its differing personalities and perspectives, and the wildly divergent approaches and output that those manifest, illustrate this more starkly than most bands.  You got your "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" and you got your "Kokomo" and those are going to resonate with two completely different sets of people.

The ideas that Stamos hurts the brand and that he brings a lot of people through the door are not mutually exclusive, even though they seem to be.  Art and commerce have both played equal roles in keeping the band's music vibrant for 50 years.  The issue will never be resolved, it's baked in the cake of the personalities of the band members and the differing ways the band's music resonates with different personalities.  It's what makes the band's history so frustrating, but also so fascinating.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:30:04 PM by adamghost » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 02, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »

Isn't 29 nearly 30?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 02, 2014, 01:35:52 PM »

Isn't 29 nearly 30?
Oh please; is your math really that of a 5 year old?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 02, 2014, 01:44:17 PM »

Isn't 29 nearly 30?

Apparently, because I wouldn't think to correct someone's "nearly 30" with "29." Seems synonymous to me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 02, 2014, 01:49:52 PM »

Isn't 29 nearly 30?

Apparently, because I wouldn't think to correct someone's "nearly 30" with "29." Seems synonymous to me.

Really now. Is a baby less than ome month old nearly one?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 02, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »

Isn't 29 nearly 30?

Really now. Is a baby less than ome month old nearly one?

No, but it's a matter of scale, too. a baby less than one month old is approximately 1/12th of a 1-year-old, or .08 as much. 29 is 29/30ths, or .97 as much. It isn't just a matter of the span lacking between the two numbers, but the relationship between them in the bigger picture. (In geological time, a thousand years--hell, a million!--is nothing, and we could say "almost.") I think when we're talking about multiple decades, 11 months would certainly be small enough to round up to a "nearly" [bigger number].

Sorry for being off topic. Kind of. Not really, though.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 02, 2014, 02:02:02 PM »

Time for a musical interlude...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_2D4Sganhg

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 02, 2014, 02:04:11 PM »

No single appearance by John Stamos will kill the group's career. And no one is saying that.

But a group's reputation and legacy is defined by the choices that the group makes. And the choice to welcome Stamos as an honorary member has reaped a bitter harvest for the band.

It's certainly not their only regrettable decision, or even their main one. Mike has made a bunch of terrible choices over the last few decades, often with Brian's active participation or benign neglect. The cheerleaders being one of them, releases like SIP being another, relentless touring of shoddy venues for no real purpose being yet another.

For me, I would gladly trade any popularity of recognition the group acquired through the likes of Stamos (and Home Improvement, etc.) for a wider understanding of the great work they did -- and continued to do when no one was looking.

And I do not solely blame Mike or John, although both should have known better. Brian has allowed Mike to use the name and keep touring, and has allowed his cousin's vision of the band to predominate. Al went along for too long, and by the time he decided to fight back, he had no leverage left and had alienated the rest of the group. Carl simply surrendered at a certain point and decided to focus on keeping the backing band competent. All of these guys are to blame.

Stamos is the one guy who encapsulates how everything went terribly, terribly wrong for the group in the 1980s. And yes, that decade saw a renewed popularity for the boys -- but it was not a popularity worth having.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:15:57 PM by Wirestone » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 02, 2014, 02:10:56 PM »

Yeah, John even got Brian to appear on "Full House" with the band, that's how bad it got.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 02, 2014, 02:28:40 PM »

Does John Stamos's role as a frequent guest on stage with the band detract from the legacy of the Beach Boys as a serious, artistically important American ensemble? After all, he's a great-looking guy, a celebrity, and an indisputable fan, but he's not as high-caliber a musician as most (or hopefully all) of the people who have been a part of the touring act over the past 50-something years.

No.

Whatever legacy they had through music still exists. The music can't be undone. Anything performed live is on the periphery of the body of work, especially in these decades since their real period of contemporaneous relevance. No 2014 concert undoes the studio or live work of 1964, 1967, or 1971. It's barely a footnote. It's a few minutes of fun between people who have every right to do so.

Second, is protecting the legacy of a pop band really warranted? Does the serious fan's serious concept of a serious band's serious work outweigh the casual fan's enjoyment of a pop band? I'm not sure.

Different art does different things at different times for different people, and the best art more so than the worst. As Adam said a few posts ago, these are different facets of this band: that's just reality. The depth of their brilliance isn't shallowed by the crassness of the commercials, it's just something else. A different angle, a different day, a different idea.

People all have different versions of what the Beach Boys (or any other musicians) should do to best meet their preferences and tastes. There is no shortage of suggestions on this board. But maybe it's best not to worry about it. Maybe legacies would be best not managed at all, but viewed in their natural states as they actually unfolded. That ship has long-since sailed both with this and every other major entertainer, obviously, but it's worth thinking about.

I guess I just don't care whether I like the choices the band makes. I'd rather they did everything I like, of course, but that's clearly impossible. (Besides, if I knew better than them overall, I'd just make better music than them to begin with and circumvent the issue entirely.) I don't care how the public thought about them 25 years ago, 15 years ago, today, or in 25 years. I'm pretty confident their body of work stands on its own whether Stamos sits behind the drums or straps on a guitar or cheeses "Forever" one more time. The legacy is not threatened. It just doesn't matter, aside from annoying some fragments of a very fragmented fan base.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 02, 2014, 02:29:29 PM »

No single appearance by John Stamos will kill the group's career. And no one is saying that.

But a group's reputation and legacy is defined by the choices that the group makes. And the choice to welcome Stamos as an honorary member has reaped a bitter harvest for the band.

It's certainly not their only regrettable decision, or even their main one. Mike has made a bunch of terrible choices over the last few decades, often with Brian's active participation or benign neglect. The cheerleaders being one of them, releases like SIP being another, relentless touring of shoddy venues for no real purpose being yet another.

For me, I would gladly trade any popularity of recognition the group acquired through the likes of Stamos (and Home Improvement, etc.) for a wider understanding of the great work they did -- and continued to do when no one was looking.

And I do not solely blame Mike or John, although both should have known better. Brian has allowed Mike to use the name and keep touring, and has allowed his cousin's vision of the band to predominate. Al went along for too long, and by the time he decided to fight back, he had no leverage left and had alienated the rest of the group. Carl simply surrendered at a certain point and decided to focus on keeping the backing band competent. All of these guys are to blame.

Stamos is the one guy who encapsulates how everything went terribly, terribly wrong for the group in the 1980s. And yes, that decade saw a renewed popularity for the boys -- but it was not a popularity worth having.

I feel like this is not seeing the forest for the tree. If the band's legacy could be diminished in that way it was diminished by Brian, Dennis, Mike, Carl, Al, and Bruce. Roughly in that order, or some order of your choice. Anything Stamos has done or been can not even dent the legacy tempered by the Boys attempts to ruin it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 02, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »

Yeah, John even got Brian to appear on "Full House" with the band, that's how bad it got.
Exactly. He wasn't that much on it though, to be fair:

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 02, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »

The Smiley Smile message board: where John Stamos is a bigger villain than Eugene Landy.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 02, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »

Brian had a speaking part on the show, and also appeared onstage in a concert scene, even singing along with Kokomo at one point. He was on as much as the rest of them.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 02, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »

The Smiley Smile message board: where John Stamos is a bigger villain than Eugene Landy.

Please. I write enough nonsense on my own. I don't need other people to make up new nonsense to attribute to me.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 02, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »

Brian had a speaking part on the show, and also appeared onstage in a concert scene, even singing along with Kokomo at one point. He was on as much as the rest of them.
I stand corrected. It really got bad, then. Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx