gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681000 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 05:26:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love "Vibe Room" Q&A  (Read 55740 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2015, 09:07:28 PM »

Took Mike about two and a half minutes to cheezily throw "fun fun fun" and "good vibrations" into a sentence.

The same sentence, mind you.

Love this guy, he is just incredible.  LOL
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »

heh...Mike totally sidesteps the question about where he'd rank Summer in Paradise among the other albums and just talks about the eco-friendly message of the title track.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »

Also love that this guy Wink does the whole hhhhhh-what and hhhhh-where thing when he says those words. However, I do have to say he does have a great radio voice. And I'm totally unfamiliar with any of his work.

And now i'll stop making these stupid  on-the-go comments! Sorry...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:17:21 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2015, 09:38:13 PM »

Is it weird for me to think it's weird when Mike peacefully and happily talks about writing songs with Al Jardine, the guy who feels that Mike's recent actions were equivalent to firing him?

It would be nice for me to not think that is weird, and I truthfully desire to think it is not weird...but I think I'd have to pull an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and remove the knowledge of that from my head in order for it not to actually be weird to me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:39:35 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2015, 09:48:05 PM »

I'm happy to see that he was asked a couple of my questions. Nice surprise!

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2015, 09:55:25 PM »

So I finally finished watching it. A lot of predictable throwaway crap questions. But I did enjoy the thing about his solo material. Although he's really kidding himself if he thinks an unreleased 1980s Mike Love/Adrian Baker song is gonna get placement in any kind of movie. And I felt it was kinda like that he brushed off the Looking Back with Love question saying how they were "reviewing all this stuff" or whatever. That excuse will work for all the unreleased stuff, but hey Mikey, that one was actually released! No need to assess anything about it besides whether you want it out there or not. And it seems from the way he brushed it off that he does not want it out there, hah!

It also seems to me that a new album from him still seems kinda unlikely. I guess we will see though.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2015, 10:12:12 PM »

"Fun fun fun" and "Good Vibrations" in the first 2 minutes...classic!   Cool

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2015, 10:16:41 PM »

"Fun fun fun" and "Good Vibrations" in the first 2 minutes...classic!   Cool

I guess that's Mike's Shortenin' Bread riff. His go-to, way overused standby. Somebody needs to stitch together interview clip footage of the cheesy song references. It would probably run longer than the BW Shortenin' Bread riff compilation mix on Youtube.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:20:04 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2015, 10:22:36 PM »

Bruno Mars on Wild Honey, he wants. And a young artist on Darlin'. Gee what a good idea, huh?

I like when they opened saying "good to be back" even tho Mike hired him to do this... he made sure to mention meeting the Beatles in India, thankfully. Phew!

Surely his statements about the staying power of electronica will ignite a firestorm! Other than that and a mention of Amy Winehouse that made me wonder if he knew she was dead, pretty dull stuff for so such a long running time. Thin, watery gruel.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:25:56 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2015, 10:45:50 PM »

I learned nothing new. Nothing. I want my 45 minutes back.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2015, 04:30:46 AM »

Yeah. It took me less time to read through Brian's three q&a's in the last month and not learning anything new either. I think it's pretty obvious by now that these sessions will be hardly revealing to the initiated. Perhaps if some of those fans who find fault in pretty much everything ML says or does, had contributed some questions, he would have answered them. I think it's great that these guys are reaching out to the fans in this way, and the fact that this guy made a 45-min production of the answers must not go overlooked.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2015, 05:27:53 AM »

^^ True.
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2015, 05:43:00 AM »

I don't know, nothing too revelatory but I thoroughly enjoyed the interview.  I hope he does another one sometime soon.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2015, 06:17:44 AM »

"How does the great [sic!] album SIP rank among all the other albums?"

"I used to chase butterflies with a friend of mine [...] so I've had a lifelong sensitivity to the environment. Not only mankind but.. other forms of life. So... SIP encapsulates those feelings in the song."

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2015, 07:08:05 AM »

Well, it was a nice, relaxed interview and I think it's great that Mike took so much time to do it. It didn't yield anything new, but as with the Brian Q&A's, I didn't really expect it to. Both cases were efforts to reconnect with fans through the internet, nothing more.

Wink Martindale certainly sounds like an old school radio guy in this, and that's not a bad thing.

Apparently, a Lava Lamp makes a room a "vibe room." :D

I was glad to see Mike avoiding the old "Brian/Carl/Dennis did drugs" mantra during his discourse about T.M. Maybe he's finally realized he doesn't have to hammer on that to make his point. Instead, he rightfully related it to his own dabbling in marijuana, which is the right approach. "I was about to be pulled into drugs, but found a better way," is much more compelling and less judgmental sounding than "My cousins did drugs and I didn't."

He gave Brian his due credit without puffing himself up too much or mentioning Kokomo, "The hit that Brian didn't write." I liked the way he took his due credit for writing lyrics and hooks without some of the defensiveness  we've previously seen. Mike has made significant contributions to popular music. He needs to own those without comparing himself to the Beatles or Cousin Bri, and he did that here.

All in all, Mike came across quite well in this. He needs more of this kind of PR and  fewer contentious sounding interviews. Of course, in this kind of format, he could avoid any questions he didn't want to answer, but he came off well.

Of course, we still got the whole "Positivity and fun" angle. And, that's fine. I just wish he also understood the importance of introspection in music. He realizes how that "haunting" melody Brian wrote for "The Warmth of the Sun" had emotional impact. Maybe he'll one day realize that songs like "Summer's Gone" are OK too.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:13:59 AM by Cyncie » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2015, 07:10:16 AM »

Wink Martindale is not a very good interviewer.  I've heard enough about Mike Love and TM and India, and kind of disappointed that Mike didn't acknowledge that SIP was not one of their better albums.  I guess Mike really likes SIP, which I thought was largely awful.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2015, 07:31:21 AM »

Is there something medically wrong with his throat? The man sounds raspy, hoarse and frankly, not well. He also appears a bit feeble in his general composure. Just sayin'.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2015, 07:37:23 AM »

Wink Martindale is not a very good interviewer.  I've heard enough about Mike Love and TM and India, and kind of disappointed that Mike didn't acknowledge that SIP was not one of their better albums.  I guess Mike really likes SIP, which I thought was largely awful.

Wink read the fans questions, primarily. What question did you contribute? The forum was open for questions like for ten days.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2015, 09:26:11 AM »

Bummer! Not that this is a big deal to anyone but me, but I posted the very first post in the Vibe Room which was nothing more than a greeting and compliment of some of my favorite songs by Mike. It has been erased from history. Sad At least I can't find it.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2015, 09:28:12 AM »

Heh, I thought I posted the very first post as well which has also been scrubbed.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2015, 10:08:50 AM »

I guess that's Mike's Shortenin' Bread riff. His go-to, way overused standby. Somebody needs to stitch together interview clip footage of the cheesy song references. It would probably run longer than the BW Shortenin' Bread riff compilation mix on Youtube.

It would be a great companion piece to the video someone edited together of all the "Wheeeeennnnnn" from "Be True To Your School."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »

It would be a great companion piece to the video someone edited together of all the "Wheeeeennnnnn" from "Be True To Your School."
YES PLEASE! Cheesy
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »

Hey, Mike answered my question! And I learned something from it: Mike apparently wrote "Everyone's in Love With You" in 1968.

Mike really seems to get into the questions about TM - it's really interesting to hear him talk about things past his usual interview quotes.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2015, 02:38:03 PM »

Hey, Mike answered my question! And I learned something from it: Mike apparently wrote "Everyone's in Love With You" in 1968.

Not surprised that these guys hang onto song for years. Wasn't there that thing about "I'm Waiting for the Day" being copyrighted in 1964?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2015, 04:54:27 PM »

Not surprised that these guys hang onto song for years. Wasn't there that thing about "I'm Waiting for the Day" being copyrighted in 1964?

I couldn't find the answer to any of the questions. Is this on the Vibe Room or something else?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx