gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680916 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 02:12:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wow...Mike, Al and Dave Reunion!  (Read 39733 times)
oldsurferdude
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 09:26:24 AM »

C'mon guys, this is crying out for a caption contest.

Mike: "So I said to Neil, 'what you need is a punchier catchline, y'know - one small step for dudes, one cool step for mankind'."
Myke-"So Neil, have you seen my group, The Beach Boys, play? You know, I wrote most of the songs."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »

Yesterday, Mike Love "unleashed the love" to pleased bandmates and press at the California Hall of Fame, remarking to Buzz Aldrin, "How's this for a rocket?"

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 09:41:18 AM »

^ LOL that's perfect lol

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »

Unleashing The Love LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 09:57:54 AM »

Mike: "For your space song to be a hit, Buzz – catchy name by the way – you need something along the lines of:

"'Well, the Martian girls are green but their planet's really lacking air,
"And Venusian girls, with the way they jest, they rib me 'bout my lack of hair.
"I've flown all round this great big world then I landed on the moo-hoo-hooon
"But my cousin Brian, when he just don't show, that says he still thinks I'm a goon…"

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 09:59:30 AM »

Yesterday, Mike Love "unleashed the love" to pleased bandmates and press at the California Hall of Fame, remarking to Buzz Aldrin, "How's this for a rocket?"

Brilliant –  looks like Dave thinks so too!

“We live in divisive times.”
SBonilla
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 10:09:01 AM »

In all seriousness where was Bruce?

Right?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 10:19:13 AM »

Because of people on this site, David Marks got to meet Buzz Aldrin. Unless they've met before. Pretty cool. Too bad Brian wasn't there. TOO BAD.

"Hey Buzz, ever seen one as small as this before?"

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 10:24:11 AM »

In all seriousness where was Bruce?

The California Hall of Fame only wanted to induct the original, founding members of the band. Even tho he's not a founder, Bruce should have been inducted -- he's a Californian too.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2011, 10:29:08 AM »

"You ever see chest hair like this?"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »

Because of people on this site, David Marks got to meet Buzz Aldrin. Unless they've met before. Pretty cool. Too bad Brian wasn't there. TOO BAD.

LBWL=Looking Back With Love

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SBonilla
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »

Seriously, Brian's people need to wake up and realise that this isn't making him look at all good.
Yeah, the only thing Brian needs to do is to continue to stay away from the fray-far drom the maddening crowd.
It's a once in a career event. I will be me more than just disappointed if he does not participate with the others.   The original and long time members of this band need to show some spirit and create some good will.  Can't they just put down their surfboards, spouses and lawyers and just cooperate? For a few months? Surely, Vocal Group harmony is needed here.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2011, 11:07:19 AM »

"Look into my chest porthole,LOOK INTO MY CHEST PORTHOLE!!!!! YOU ARE GETTING SLEEPY, YOU ARE GETTING SLEEPY, I AM A GENUIS I AM A GENIUS!!!Now bark like a dog"
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2011, 11:34:48 AM »

Why did that ceremony end with a performance by a Blues Brothers tribute band? That doesn't make any damn sense.

Also, David Marks has it pretty sweet. Think about it. He joins the band, sticks around long enough to be remembered, leaves, and now forty years later he gets all sorts of accolades for his five seconds in the group.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 12:22:08 PM »

Why did that ceremony end with a performance by a Blues Brothers tribute band? That doesn't make any damn sense.

Also, David Marks has it pretty sweet. Think about it. He joins the band, sticks around long enough to be remembered, leaves, and now forty years later he gets all sorts of accolades for his five seconds in the group.
YEAH...pretty sweet. He records all those hit songs, and plays on those hit albums, and then gets screwed out of millions of dollars by Murry and Capitol. Boy does he have it made!!
SBonilla
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »

YEAH...pretty sweet. He records all those hit songs, and plays on those hit albums, and then gets screwed out of millions of dollars by Murry and Capitol. Boy does he have it made!!

Bingo. "Still cruisin'" is not a phrase that applies to him.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:36:46 PM by SBonilla » Logged
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »

I think the old dude is right in this case, actually. Brian's legacy is secure. He hasn't been absent from BB business or anything -- he did most of TSS promotion, after all. I think the chances of his non appearance in "reunion" activities making him look bad are very small. Enhancing his legacy as the aloof genius staying at home, yes. Making the other guys look bad, possibly! Remember, this is Mr. Passive Agressive we're talking about here.

No, Brian and his so-called people were being asses in this case.  He is a Californian and should be proud of the honor.  If those other famous folks could show up to collect (including other famous entertainers and an astronaut), then he should have been, too.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2011, 12:40:12 PM »

And he STILL probably has more dough than the rest of us will ever see...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »

I think the old dude is right in this case, actually. Brian's legacy is secure. He hasn't been absent from BB business or anything -- he did most of TSS promotion, after all. I think the chances of his non appearance in "reunion" activities making him look bad are very small. Enhancing his legacy as the aloof genius staying at home, yes. Making the other guys look bad, possibly! Remember, this is Mr. Passive Agressive we're talking about here.

No, Brian and his so-called people were being asses in this case.  He is a Californian and should be proud of the honor.  If those other famous folks could show up to collect (including other famous entertainers and an astronaut), then he should have been, too.

Doesn't matter if they were or weren't being asses. I was responding to AGD's dubious assertion:

Seriously, Brian's people need to wake up and realise that this isn't making him look at all good.

I don't think that -- outside a couple of dozen people on this very message board -- Brian skipping an awards banquet will affect his image in the minds of the music public or the general pop music fan in the slightest.

What's more, it's likely that Brian's nonappearance at these events will add to his legacy, as the fact that the "founding genius" refuses to attend will deprive them of legitimacy and add to the reclusive burnout myth. No one (outside of BB fans) cares about Dave Marks or Al Jardine or Bruce Johnston. Precious few cared about Carl, and Dennis is dead. Mike is the voice on the biggest hits, and Brian is the writer and producer behind those hits. If Brian isn't there, the band isn't reunited.

Is there anyone now who wonders how he actually feels about his old band?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:28:03 PM by Wirestone » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »

^Yes, Brian not showing up will add to the "reclusive burnout" image. Which uh... Don't really at all go in hand with "founding genius."

No mas, por favor.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2011, 02:32:10 PM »

^Yes, Brian not showing up will add to the "reclusive burnout" image. Which uh... Don't really at all go in hand with "founding genius."

Are you familiar at all with the life of Brian Wilson?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »

I don't think that's Buzz Aldrin. Face looks wrong.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2011, 02:48:07 PM »

The thing is, Brian's legacy with The Beach Boys should be just has important to him as is his own personal legacy. Much of Brian's legacy, personal or group was during his time as a Beach Boy. Nothing Brian has done on his own will ever reach what was accomplished with The Beach Boys. To me, it would be in his own best interest to embrace The Beach Boys now, while interest is hot. Solidifying all his bases can do nothing but enhance his standing further in the music world.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:52:01 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »

I don't think that's Buzz Aldrin. Face looks wrong.
That is Chuck Yeager.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2011, 02:51:49 PM »

OSD is right. Brian has neither anything to gain nor lose by not appearing at such things, therefore why not just stay home?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx