gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681298 Posts in 27631 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 02, 2024, 05:34:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 574763 times)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: August 18, 2012, 06:58:31 AM »

Not racist. Just mocking your super white person music tastes.

*I like both bands but it's just funny you took two of the most self serious, egotistical pricks to prove you point, whatever that point was supposed to be.
I thought it was funny how many different ways you could twist that comment. Specifically, every black musician in the last 30 years is a hack? Only white people can make pretentious music? Only black people are allowed to rob you? Whoa! And what would a black taste in music be? I'm surprised that Talking Heads wouldn't fall under such a description, considering the synth experimentation, Bernie Worrell, etc...

They're the only relevant supporters of piracy I could think of at the time. I wasn't familiar with the idea that there exist people who hate Brian Eno.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: August 18, 2012, 07:01:05 AM »

bringing up race just brought this conversation to the depths of a toilet.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1502 on: August 18, 2012, 07:28:52 AM »

bringing up race just brought this conversation to the depths of a toilet.

Agreed. I don't see the point in that.

I wasn't familiar with the idea that there exist people who hate Brian Eno.

I certainly don't...he's my biggest influence.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: August 18, 2012, 08:24:58 AM »

I don't see what being white has to do with it.

I didn't mean white as a skin color, necessarily, more a state of mind.
I love Eno and Talking Heads as much as anyone, I was hearing them in the 70's, I just wasn't impressed by the namedropping element, they're about as safe as one can get. Try dropping the names of Ruth Copeland, D. Boon and Cody Chesnutt next time.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1504 on: August 18, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »

LOOK HOW HIP I AM

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: August 18, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »

Boy this thread turned pointless in a hurry!  Have we run out of enthusiasm over the remasters already?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: August 18, 2012, 09:01:29 AM »

That's the attitude I was reacting to, supergenius. But you just look for any reason to criticise what I post. Get a life.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: August 18, 2012, 09:31:30 AM »

The notion that someone would freak out over the kind of racial reference Ian made befuddles me. It's a pretty well-known kind of joke, and since it's at the expense of arguably the most privileged group to ever walk the planet, I'm sure all the white guys out there will survive. See http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: August 18, 2012, 09:37:06 AM »

The notion that someone would freak out over the kind of racial reference Ian made befuddles me. It's a pretty well-known kind of joke, and since it's at the expense of arguably the most privileged group to ever walk the planet, I'm sure all the white guys out there will survive. See http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

Yeah, and I am white. It was just a flippant comment, anyway.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: August 18, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »

Boy this thread turned pointless in a hurry!  Have we run out of enthusiasm over the remasters already?

I think it's more that the enthusiasm over the remasters is too much to bear, actually.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: August 18, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »

There's at least one way to save this thread, but it's dangerous...
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: August 18, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »

I'm about to call cdbanq. I still haven't gotten my cd's...

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: August 18, 2012, 11:13:51 AM »

There's at least one way to save this thread, but it's dangerous...

To post them here? Nah.

mr_oleary
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: August 18, 2012, 11:33:14 AM »

Is this the first time Help Me Rhonda is being released in stereo?  I am dying to hear a HQ version of that track.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: August 18, 2012, 11:39:21 AM »

Is this the first time Help Me Rhonda is being released in stereo?  I am dying to hear a HQ version of that track.

Officially, yes indeed.
SloopJohnB52
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: August 18, 2012, 12:04:35 PM »

Just got my CDs from CDBANQ.  Good Vibrations is a big disappointment .  Other than the separation of the vocals, everything else is inferior to many of the mono-vocal-extracted fan mixes I've heard:  the instrumental backing track released a few years ago is much clearer and less compressed, and the verses have serious phasing issues.  If someone (hint hint) is talented enough to extract only those vocals that have been newly separated (and keeping the lead vocal in the verses mono), I think it's now possible to create a pretty good stereo single version.

PhilCohen
« Reply #1516 on: August 18, 2012, 01:00:51 PM »

To get away from the discussions about racism and what constitutes music piracy, and get back to the original purpose of this thread (discussions about the new Japanese CD's), I wonder why Linett & Co. opted not to create a stereo mix(or stereo extraction mix) for "Bull Session With The Big Daddy"
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: August 18, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »

To get away from the discussions about racism and what constitutes music piracy, and get back to the original purpose of this thread (discussions about the new Japanese CD's), I wonder why Linett & Co. opted not to create a stereo mix(or stereo extraction mix) for "Bull Session With The Big Daddy"
Perhaps they thought it pointless.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: August 18, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »

That wasn't recorded on multiple tracks of tape, right? The only stereo they could do would be to digitally extract the spoken voices, and that would be a mess.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: August 18, 2012, 04:22:38 PM »

Just got my CDs from CDBANQ.  Good Vibrations is a big disappointment .  Other than the separation of the vocals, everything else is inferior to many of the mono-vocal-extracted fan mixes I've heard:  the instrumental backing track released a few years ago is much clearer and less compressed, and the verses have serious phasing issues.  If someone (hint hint) is talented enough to extract only those vocals that have been newly separated (and keeping the lead vocal in the verses mono), I think it's now possible to create a pretty good stereo single version.

everyone says these mixes are bad. I know Mark Linnet is one of the few allowed access to the tapes, but c'mon it seems like some dedicated fans could do a better job. Why not let them rather than bugger everything up?

Don't get me wrong, very grateful and glad on behalf of the band and its legacy, but does that necessary mean we should be happy with a mediocre product when someone else could do a perhaps even significantly better job? I'd hand the job to the guy who did Smile AD. He's got his hands on the ball.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1520 on: August 18, 2012, 04:27:31 PM »

I don't think that any other remixer will ever have an opportunity. It would appear that these 12 album reissues & a possible box set will be the final Beach Boys archival projects.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: August 18, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »

I don't think that any other remixer will ever have an opportunity. It would appear that these 12 album reissues & a possible box set will be the final Beach Boys archival projects.

careful! you raise my anticipation way too high over here!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: August 18, 2012, 05:00:08 PM »

Do you guys think these'll be available in stores?? Or will amazon be the best bet.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: August 18, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »

everyone says these mixes are bad. I know Mark Linnet is one of the few allowed access to the tapes, but c'mon it seems like some dedicated fans could do a better job. Why not let them rather than bugger everything up?

Don't get me wrong, very grateful and glad on behalf of the band and its legacy, but does that necessary mean we should be happy with a mediocre product when someone else could do a perhaps even significantly better job? I'd hand the job to the guy who did Smile AD. He's got his hands on the ball.

Don't go confusing mixing and mastering choices with doing a bad job.  While I question the decision to do these digital extractions from mono, and I question plenty of mix decisions that have been made, it's not coherent to suggest that someone is doing a bad job.  I have yet to hear a digital extraction from mono that sounds good, be it by some fan or by a pro.  And let us not forget that Mark is a professional.  How many people doing fan mixes have ever even seen analog tape, much less rehabilitated 45 year old tape to get it into playable condition?

I'm fine with vigorous debate over mixing decisions, mastering decisions...choice that have been made.  But to question Mark's ability here is wrong.  This is the same guy that has been one of two people in this world who have cared enough about the Beach Boys catalog to put up with the most ridiculous shenanigans from record labels.  Mark is a student of the Beach Boys and has as good an understanding of their recordings as anybody.  He's a good engineer.  I'm very disappointed he's doing the digital extractions, and I hate it when he pans vocals to near-mono on these stereo mixes.  But to question his ability in his craft is just mean.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1524 on: August 18, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »

Don't go confusing mixing and mastering choices with doing a bad job.  While I question the decision to do these digital extractions from mono, and I question plenty of mix decisions that have been made, it's not coherent to suggest that someone is doing a bad job.  I have yet to hear a digital extraction from mono that sounds good, be it by some fan or by a pro.  And let us not forget that Mark is a professional.  How many people doing fan mixes have ever even seen analog tape, much less rehabilitated 45 year old tape to get it into playable condition?

I'm fine with vigorous debate over mixing decisions, mastering decisions...choice that have been made.  But to question Mark's ability here is wrong.  This is the same guy that has been one of two people in this world who have cared enough about the Beach Boys catalog to put up with the most ridiculous shenanigans from record labels.  Mark is a student of the Beach Boys and has as good an understanding of their recordings as anybody.  He's a good engineer.  I'm very disappointed he's doing the digital extractions, and I hate it when he pans vocals to near-mono on these stereo mixes.  But to question his ability in his craft is just mean.

I agree with you that Mark is a pro and I've never had any problem with his work.  But of course we can question his or anyone else's abilities.  You can question anything you want.  That is what opinions are for. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx