gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681067 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 04:46:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 573177 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 28, 2012, 07:11:37 AM »

Everybody should follow up on this post and check out the music mentioned in this in it. Japanese rock music from the mid 70s to the early 80s betrays a prominent Beach Boys influence. Van Dyke Parks produced the original band Hosono was in, Happy End, and he was a big fan of exotica music. Another member of Happy End was this producer and songwriter Eiichi Otaki. He's absolutely wonderful, and his album A Long Vacation from 1980 features genuine Beach Boys wall of sound type production and a cameo from Fun, Fun, Fun. It's sort of weird sh*t, and is hard to track down, but it's a special pleasure for long time Beach Boys fans, and is incredibly infectious.

betrays?

Anyway, that yellow magic song is money.   
wavedancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 28, 2012, 08:12:13 AM »

Whats the best way to obtain these in england!!!

I would think the only way is to order direct form Japan online with your credit/debit card. Might be wise
to check the GBP/YEN exchange rate.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 28, 2012, 10:06:59 AM »

Another member of Happy End was this producer and songwriter Eiichi Otaki. He's absolutely wonderful, and his album A Long Vacation from 1980 features genuine Beach Boys wall of sound type production and a cameo from Fun, Fun, Fun. It's sort of weird sh*t, and is hard to track down, but it's a special pleasure for long time Beach Boys fans, and is incredibly infectious.
Oh man, you mean this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-70lTWVCto

I remember listening to this album for the first time and barely paying attention, then all of a sudden FAN FAN FAN NOW THE DIDDY TOOK THE TBIRD AWAAAaaAAAaaaAAaAY
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 28, 2012, 11:40:16 AM »

Ordered Smiley Smile and Today! Very excited to hear these!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 28, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »

Such a box set might contain selected tracks from the new remixes, but entire albums? Unlikely.

Nobody said the box set would contain complete albums.  Sounds like you ran out of things to complain about so you figured you'd make one up.

Well, if you are a loyal fan who wants to hear previously mono albums in first-time stereo, then obviously you'll want the complete album, not two-thirds of it.

I don't get what you're complaining about. Well actually, I do know what you're complaining about, but I think it's ridiculous. Buy the albums from Japan, or wait it out. If you can't afford them now, save up.
Stop being negative and be happy that the stereo mixes of Smiley Smile, Today and Summer Days finally are out there.

'zat you, Bruce? "You guys are being assholes! 45 dollars for stereo mixes of Smiley Smile, Today!, Summer Days etc. is a totally fair price! Maybe you guys could afford these if you didn't fear success! Save your pennies!"

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: July 28, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »

There are not enough fans in the U.S. or Europe to make releasing them profitable. That is, enough fans who will spend real money on albums that have been reissued on CD multiple times before (and more economically, too -- as twofers). Ask yourself this: If U.S. fans can't be bothered to spend money on remastered twofers (as they roundly ignored the 2001 releases), why should Capitol make the investment of releasing more expensive single-disc versions?

I'm puzzled by your logic, Stoney. Yes, I'll agree there is a limited audience for these in the states, but more so than Japan? Where CDs cost twice as much because they're considered more of a specialty item than here in the states (thus why they often get exclusive bonus tracks)? That doesn't really add up. CDs don't cost an especially large amount of money to manufacture, and yeah, you need to make sure the people involved get their royalties, but as long as you anticipate said limited audience and adjust your output accordingly, there shouldn't be a problem. Capitol has issued CDs for the limited audience a great number of times and should have a rough idea as to how much of these to keep in circulation at any given time.

Again, stereo remixes of "America's band" only being released in Japan? It makes no sense. Today! and Summer Days were fairly popular albums containing some of their most well known songs, at that - the albums being released in full in stereo, including the likes of the first ever stereo mixes of stuff like "Help Me, Rhonda" is of some importance to the general public. Not a great deal of importance, but significant enough to sell some copies and justify putting them out here.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
PhilCohen
« Reply #781 on: July 28, 2012, 01:13:45 PM »

There are not enough fans in the U.S. or Europe to make releasing them profitable. That is, enough fans who will spend real money on albums that have been reissued on CD multiple times before (and more economically, too -- as twofers). Ask yourself this: If U.S. fans can't be bothered to spend money on remastered twofers (as they roundly ignored the 2001 releases), why should Capitol make the investment of releasing more expensive single-disc versions?

I'm puzzled by your logic, Stoney. Yes, I'll agree there is a limited audience for these in the states, but more so than Japan? Where CDs cost twice as much because they're considered more of a specialty item than here in the states (thus why they often get exclusive bonus tracks)? That doesn't really add up. CDs don't cost an especially large amount of money to manufacture, and yeah, you need to make sure the people involved get their royalties, but as long as you anticipate said limited audience and adjust your output accordingly, there shouldn't be a problem. Capitol has issued CDs for the limited audience a great number of times and should have a rough idea as to how much of these to keep in circulation at any given time.

Again, stereo remixes of "America's band" only being released in Japan? It makes no sense. Today! and Summer Days were fairly popular albums containing some of their most well known songs, at that - the albums being released in full in stereo, including the likes of the first ever stereo mixes of stuff like "Help Me, Rhonda" is of some importance to the general public. Not a great deal of importance, but significant enough to sell some copies and justify putting them out here.

I agree, and furthermore, The Beach Boys back catalogue is up there with The Beatles, Pink Floyd & Frank Sinatra as the most commercially enduring back catalogues that EMI has. There is a pre-existing fan base that will buy any archival CD by those artists that EMI releases. And these CD's ARE profitable: the recording session costs were recouped decades ago.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 28, 2012, 01:29:58 PM »

Such a box set might contain selected tracks from the new remixes, but entire albums? Unlikely.

Nobody said the box set would contain complete albums.  Sounds like you ran out of things to complain about so you figured you'd make one up.

Well, if you are a loyal fan who wants to hear previously mono albums in first-time stereo, then obviously you'll want the complete album, not two-thirds of it.

I don't get what you're complaining about. Well actually, I do know what you're complaining about, but I think it's ridiculous. Buy the albums from Japan, or wait it out. If you can't afford them now, save up.
Stop being negative and be happy that the stereo mixes of Smiley Smile, Today and Summer Days finally are out there.

'zat you, Bruce? "You guys are being assholes! 45 dollars for stereo mixes of Smiley Smile, Today!, Summer Days etc. is a totally fair price! Maybe you guys could afford these if you didn't fear success! Save your pennies!"

Actually you can easily obtain them for $31 a pop. A little web searching, some enquiring here and there, and voila!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:33:06 PM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 28, 2012, 01:37:49 PM »

Nobody said the box set would contain complete albums.  Sounds like you ran out of things to complain about so you figured you'd make one up.

Actually you can easily obtain them for $31 a pop. A little web searching, some enquiring here and there, and voila!

'zat you, Bruce? "You guys are being assholes! A mere 31 dollars, three times what these would sell for in the states, for stereo mixes of Smiley Smile, Today!, Summer Days etc. is a totally fair price! Maybe you guys could afford these if you didn't fear success! Save your pennies!"

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 28, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »

'zat you, Bruce? "You guys are being assholes! A mere 31 dollars, three times what these would sell for in the states, for stereo mixes of Smiley Smile, Today!, Summer Days etc. is a totally fair price! Maybe you guys could afford these if you didn't fear success! Save your pennies!"

Not saying it's a 'fair price'. But if the only legal way to get these releases is through Japan at $31 dollars per disc, then so be it. And by the way, I really hope for a EU/US release.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #785 on: July 28, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »

I agree, and furthermore, The Beach Boys back catalogue is up there with The Beatles, Pink Floyd & Frank Sinatra as the most commercially enduring back catalogues that EMI has. There is a pre-existing fan base that will buy any archival CD by those artists that EMI releases. And these CD's ARE profitable: the recording session costs were recouped decades ago.

Agreed.  Re-releases of old albums are fairly popular.  We've been seeing quite a few high-profile re-releases of albums such as Paul Simon's Graceland or Paul McCartney's Band On The Run.  If Capitol doesn't plan on bringing those Japanese releases to the rest of the world, I can only assume that they have their own plans with the box set they're focusing on.  I'm not sure "lack of interest" is what is going on here.  After all, if that were the case, they probably wouldn't have bothered with re-releasing the two-fers last decade.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 28, 2012, 02:11:32 PM »

Not saying it's a 'fair price'. But if the only legal way to get these releases is through Japan at $31 dollars per disc, then so be it. And by the way, I really hope for a EU/US release.

COMMIE.

( ^_^ )

(Sorry.)

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 28, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »

You're just getting caught up in the whole America's band nonsense. If the albums don't sell to expectations in America, they won't release them here. As you say, they probably have internal projections for how much the albums would sell. Since they aren't releasing them here, that surely suggests such projections aren't positive.

Agreed.  Re-releases of old albums are fairly popular.  We've been seeing quite a few high-profile re-releases of albums such as Paul Simon's Graceland or Paul McCartney's Band On The Run.  If Capitol doesn't plan on bringing those Japanese releases to the rest of the world, I can only assume that they have their own plans with the box set they're focusing on.  I'm not sure "lack of interest" is what is going on here.  After all, if that were the case, they probably wouldn't have bothered with re-releasing the two-fers last decade.

If you seriously think Smiley Smile or Beach Boys Party is on par with Graceland or Band on the Run, you're deluded.

The singles are popular. I've never seen much evidence that the albums are, with the exception of Pet Sounds.

Regardless, I'm not the one to argue with here. Capitol has re-released the albums multiple times, and they are freely available in physical and digital form. It's not like there is a shortage of the original albums or anything. Capitol did not promise a catalog revamp, and they seem to not be doing one. They have seemingly decided that what we have is fine and that the market does not exist in the U.S. or Europe for the stereo/mono discs. That's not my decision or my argument -- it's what the record company has decided.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 03:42:57 PM by Wirestone » Logged
PhilCohen
« Reply #788 on: July 28, 2012, 02:54:22 PM »

It has been said that the album "Surfin' U.S.A." sold exceptionally well(in the U.S.A.) at a time when kids mainly bought singles.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 28, 2012, 02:56:02 PM »

It has been said that the album "Surfin' U.S.A." sold exceptionally well(in the U.S.A.) at a time when kids mainly bought singles.
I think he means now days, not when released.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #790 on: July 28, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »

Agreed.  Re-releases of old albums are fairly popular.  We've been seeing quite a few high-profile re-releases of albums such as Paul Simon's Graceland or Paul McCartney's Band On The Run.  If Capitol doesn't plan on bringing those Japanese releases to the rest of the world, I can only assume that they have their own plans with the box set they're focusing on.  I'm not sure "lack of interest" is what is going on here.  After all, if that were the case, they probably wouldn't have bothered with re-releasing the two-fers last decade.

If you seriously think Smiley Smile or Beach Boys Party is on par with Graceland or Band on the Run, you're deluded.

I failed to mention that they are currently in the process of remastering and releasing expanded versions of all of McCartney's post-Beatles material.  I don't think anyone is really clamoring for a deluxe version of Wings Wild Life, but one is apparently coming.  If they can put out that, I'm sure Party! getting similar treatment isn't *that* far-fetched.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:11:31 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
PhilCohen
« Reply #791 on: July 28, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »

I failed to mention that they are currently in the process of remastering and releasing expanded versions of all of McCartney's post-Beatles material.  I don't think anyone is really clamoring for a deluxe version of Wings Wild Life, but one is apparently coming.  If they can put out that, I'm sure Party! getting similar treatment isn't *that* far-fetched.

No Deluxe "Wild Life" has been announced (yet), but "Wings Over America" Deluxe(and a DVD release of "Rockshow") have been announced for later this year, with "Venus & Mars" & "Wings at The Speed of Sound" to follow next year.
PhilCohen
« Reply #792 on: July 28, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »

It is safe to say, that if Capitol and/or The Beach Boys don't end the "Wall of Secrecy" by the middle of October, then the 50th Anniversary box set and/or commemorative CD product is not to be. Within the next 90 days, we'll know if those products(and Capitol Records itself) is to be or not to be.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:14:22 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: July 28, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »

It is safe to say, that if Capitol and/or The Beach Boys don't end the "Wall of Secrecy" by the middle of October, then the 50th Anniversary box set and/or commemorative CD product is not to be. Within the next 90 days, we'll know if those products(and Capitol Records itself) it to be or not to be.

For the love of Wilson, please stop with the "wall of secrecy" comments, there is none. You make it sound like some conspiracy. We know there's a box in the works. Don't care what you have to say against that. There will be a box. Remember the whole thing where you went off on the SMiLE box and how it wouldn't come out, blah blah blah? It was delayed, yeah, but it came out. Just because Capitol doesn't say something within your self imposed 90 day limit doesn't mean there won't be product. Aargh.

I have enjoyed reading and contributing to this thread, can't we just keep it to the 2012 remasters that are already out and which several people have gotten/ordered?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:58:53 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: July 28, 2012, 05:11:04 PM »

Paul owns all his own solo material these days (masters and songwriting rights) and is putting out those reissues as glorified vanity projects. Given his billions, it's simple enough for him to underwrite such things. Does anyone seriously think that deluxe edition of McCartney II sold any copies (or even one copy)? The BBs and their record label do not have those rights or that financial wherewithal.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 05:20:57 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: July 28, 2012, 06:18:48 PM »

Paul owns all his own solo material these days (masters and songwriting rights) and is putting out those reissues as glorified vanity projects. Given his billions, it's simple enough for him to underwrite such things. Does anyone seriously think that deluxe edition of McCartney II sold any copies (or even one copy)? The BBs and their record label do not have those rights or that financial wherewithal.

Errr...I bought McCartney II deluxe.  Grin
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 28, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »

Yeah, me too, and it is excellent. Wirestone, you are fairly knowledgeable, but way too cocky. A lot of your comments seem nearly entirely based on your own likes or dislikes.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
PhilCohen
« Reply #797 on: July 28, 2012, 07:01:01 PM »

And so did I(and all the McCartney box sets so far)
PhilCohen
« Reply #798 on: July 28, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »

It is safe to say, that if Capitol and/or The Beach Boys don't end the "Wall of Secrecy" by the middle of October, then the 50th Anniversary box set and/or commemorative CD product is not to be. Within the next 90 days, we'll know if those products(and Capitol Records itself) it to be or not to be.

For the love of Wilson, please stop with the "wall of secrecy" comments, there is none. You make it sound like some conspiracy. We know there's a box in the works. Don't care what you have to say against that. There will be a box. Remember the whole thing where you went off on the SMiLE box and how it wouldn't come out, blah blah blah? It was delayed, yeah, but it came out. Just because Capitol doesn't say something within your self imposed 90 day limit doesn't mean there won't be product. Aargh.

I have enjoyed reading and contributing to this thread, can't we just keep it to the 2012 remasters that are already out and which several people have gotten/ordered?

The question concerning the box set is, if and when Mark Linett & The Beach Boys finally mix and master it, will there be a Capitol Records to release it? I'm going to give you the latest update on Vivendi Universal's attempt to win European Union regulatory approval for their purchase of EMI Music Worldwide. Vivendi Universal's offer (that if the takeover is approved) that Vivendi Universal would sell off the Virgin, Chrysalis, Blue Note & Sanctuary labels did not satisfy EU regulators, and so now Vivendi Universal has offered to sell off all of the Parlophone label(excepting The Beatles catalogue). EMI is being dismantled, let there be no doubt, and the implications for music fans are not good.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #799 on: July 28, 2012, 07:42:04 PM »

What i don't get is that it costs like 30 dollars a year tops to host an album on itunes. I don't need tne physical copy, but i can't see how if there's at least four people who'll download smiley smile why they won't just make it available for download internationally.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx