gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681298 Posts in 27631 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 02, 2024, 08:00:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 574716 times)
PhilCohen
« Reply #750 on: July 27, 2012, 03:04:57 PM »

I don't get what you're complaining about. Well actually, I do know what you're complaining about, but I think it's ridiculous. Buy the albums from Japan, or wait it out. If you can't afford them now, save up.
Stop being negative and be happy that the stereo mixes of Smiley Smile, Today and Summer Days finally are out there.

Phil also posted a couple pages back that he couldn't find the new remasters on eBay when they are right here:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=beach+boys+f50&_dmpt=Music_CDs&Special%2520Attributes=Remastered&rt=nc

He's too busy being mad.

I had tried doing searches several times for "Beach Boys Japan CD's", and only earlier Japanese EMI product was displayed. What did you enter when searching?
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 27, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »

Honestly, I don't think there is any waiting out. As far as EMI/Capitol releases, the U.S. has never released any Beach Boys stuff the same as Japan.

Perhaps not, in which the conclusion is easy; buy them from Japan.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 27, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »

Honestly, I don't think there is any waiting out. As far as EMI/Capitol releases, the U.S. has never released any Beach Boys stuff the same as Japan.

Perhaps not, in which the conclusion is easy; buy them from Japan.
Indeed! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 27, 2012, 03:13:38 PM »

Such a box set might contain selected tracks from the new remixes, but entire albums? Unlikely.

Nobody said the box set would contain complete albums.  Sounds like you ran out of things to complain about so you figured you'd make one up.

Well, if you are a loyal fan who wants to hear previously mono albums in first-time stereo, then obviously you'll want the complete album, not two-thirds of it.

I don't get what you're complaining about. Well actually, I do know what you're complaining about, but I think it's ridiculous. Buy the albums from Japan, or wait it out. If you can't afford them now, save up.
Stop being negative and be happy that the stereo mixes of Smiley Smile, Today and Summer Days finally are out there.

Is it so bizarre that fans would want to obtain these first time on CD(or previously unreleased) mixes, and at reasonable prices, and without difficulty? It's not like there aren't people outside Japan who collect Beach Boys CD's.

No, it's not bizarre. But it is bizarre that you think it helps complaining over and over about it here. It's pointless. Call Capitol about it. Call the police, FBI, whoever. Just stop complaining about it here.

PhilCohen
« Reply #754 on: July 27, 2012, 03:15:58 PM »

I have a question. If I do opt to buy them on Ebay, and the seller wants an additional shipping fee(beyond that which Ebay normally adds), what is the procedure? Does the seller e-mail a link to make the additional payment via PayPal?
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 27, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »

No, it's not bizarre. But it is bizarre that you think it helps complaining over and over about it here. It's pointless. Call Capitol about it. Call the police, FBI, whoever. Just stop complaining about it here.

I doubt he'll call the FBI.  He's already stated here that Capitol deserves for these to be downloaded illegally now.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 27, 2012, 03:20:56 PM »

I have a question. If I do opt to buy them on Ebay, and the seller wants an additional shipping fee(beyond that which Ebay normally adds), what is the procedure? Does the seller e-mail a link to make the additional payment via PayPal?

You can simply just send him the extra charges directly to him via Paypal: once you make a purchase from the seller you will be given his email address.  It's that email address that you can Paypal over any other charges that he may add to your purchase.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 27, 2012, 03:28:54 PM »

I doubt he'll call the FBI.  He's already stated here that Capitol deserves for these to be downloaded illegally now.

police

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 27, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »

police

You're under arrest!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
PhilCohen
« Reply #759 on: July 27, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »

I doubt he'll call the FBI.  He's already stated here that Capitol deserves for these to be downloaded illegally now.

I myself have never done a bit-torrent download(I don't have the software, "Client" or technical skills ), and besides, American ISP's launched a big crackdown against Bit-Torrent downloading starting July 12,2012. But I have asked a friend to look for the material for me. I'm capable of doing (comparatively) slow downloads from so-called "Locker" websites, that's it.

Ultimately, the compromise that I'm leaning towards, is buying 3 of the discs("Today", "Summer Days" & "Smiley Smile") and obtaining the others as copies. The new stereo mixes are my main interest.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:41:59 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
SloopJohnB52
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 27, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »

CDBANQ.com is selling them for $32.33 plus shipping.  I just ordered Today, SDSN and SS (they accept PAYPAL).

http://www.cdbanq.com/search.asp?keyword=smiley+smile&search=S+E+A+R+C+H

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: July 27, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »

I bought the bullet and ordered Smiley Smile.  The $50 is painful, but at the very least I'll have a nice collector's item; especially if these albums don't make it to the States.  I'll have to spread out these purchases but plan to buy more, depending on whatever it is that Capitol USA plans on putting out here.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 27, 2012, 05:06:45 PM »

CDBANQ.com is selling them for $32.33 plus shipping.  I just ordered Today, SDSN and SS (they accept PAYPAL).

One of the items that CDBANQ lists under their Beach Boys category is this. They look.....different for some reason, but I can't quite place why. Anyone?

http://www.cdbanq.com/Beach-Boys--Beach-Boys-Japan-LTD-CD-YRCN-90164_p_47821.html

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 27, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »

CDBANQ.com is selling them for $32.33 plus shipping.  I just ordered Today, SDSN and SS (they accept PAYPAL).

Thanks you for that! I just ordered SDv2, Today & Summer Days.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 27, 2012, 06:16:12 PM »

They look.....different for some reason, but I can't quite place why. Anyone?

I'll say!

PhilCohen
« Reply #765 on: July 27, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »

They look.....different for some reason, but I can't quite place why. Anyone?

I'll say!

I'm reminded of the fact that Japanese musician Yukihiro Takahashi was often referred to as the "Japanese Twin' of British musician(and Be Bop Deluxe founder) Bill Nelson. The two musicians did occasionally collaborate, and Takahashi did(excepting his oriental eyes) look a bit like Bill Nelson. It seems that the Beach Boys have some "Japanese Twins", though their use of the name "The Beach Boys" would likely get Mike Love back in his lawsuit mode......if he knew about these "boys".
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 27, 2012, 07:03:46 PM »

Looks like CDBANQ had 5 copies on stock for each title---all the new remasters are sold out  LOL
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:32:07 PM by Justin » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 27, 2012, 08:20:13 PM »

Aww wow guys! I was going to get these! I've been out all night so I missed this  Wall

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 27, 2012, 08:27:28 PM »

Aww wow guys! I was going to get these! I've been out all night so I missed this  Wall

I still see them at CD BANQ at $32.33, assuming these are the correct editions....

http://www.cdbanq.com/Beach-Boys--All-Summer-Long-Japan-CD-TOCP-71375_p_79110.html

http://www.cdbanq.com/Beach-Boys--Smiley-Smile-Japan-CD-TOCP-71380_p_79115.html

Just search Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:29:26 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 27, 2012, 08:31:32 PM »

Nice!  I guess I was looking at the wrong ones. 
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 27, 2012, 08:33:12 PM »

Nice!  I guess I was looking at the wrong ones. 

Still too much $ for me, but maybe just low enough for others to bite. Thanks for the original heads up!

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 27, 2012, 10:28:33 PM »

I'm reminded of the fact that Japanese musician Yukihiro Takahashi was often referred to as the "Japanese Twin' of British musician(and Be Bop Deluxe founder) Bill Nelson. The two musicians did occasionally collaborate, and Takahashi did(excepting his oriental eyes) look a bit like Bill Nelson. It seems that the Beach Boys have some "Japanese Twins", though their use of the name "The Beach Boys" would likely get Mike Love back in his lawsuit mode......if he knew about these "boys".
Yukihiro Takahashi from Yellow Magic Orchestra, which Haruomi Hosono was also a part of, whom (apparently) collaborated with Van Dyke Parks in the early '70s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfH6db-r1R8

I wonder how deep the connections go.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 28, 2012, 01:09:50 AM »

In January 1968(one and a half years into what has, by now, been a 46 year hobby of collecting recorded music) when I purchased my first Beach Boys L.P.("Wild Honey") for $4 at a local department store, I could never have envisioned what a downer this hobby would turn in to: A situation where there is a $450 price to obtain a dozen music albums, and the record company is turning the consumer's pursuit of the product into a stressful thing. The industry then wonders where it has gone wrong, and why increasing amounts of consumers are turning away. And it leaves me wondering if maybe I should have(back in my childhood days) selected something else as a lifetime hobby.

Phil, I've got good new for you!  The $3.99 you spent for Wild Honey in Jan. '68 is the equivalent of $26.31 today, adjusted for inflation.  And back when both mono and stereo versions of the same record were released you would have to buy two separate albums to get both versions.  Since 10 of the 12 Japanese CDs contain both mono and stereo versions, they are the modern day equivalent of two albums, making the 12 new Japanese releases the equivalent of 22 albums "back in the day". 

$26.31 x 22 = $578.82, so by purchasing the set for $450, you are actually saving over $125!  That's right, buying the entire set of these releases is actually saving you big bucks!

So take the next logical step, pull out your credit card, and make the purchase!  Then be a good guy and upload them somewhere so that I can listen just once, strictly for educational purposes. Cool

Seriously, I am expecting the remastered versions to eventually be officially released the US, but I may well break down and purchase at least a few of them prior to that.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 28, 2012, 01:13:52 AM »

Whats the best way to obtain these in england!!!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 28, 2012, 02:26:12 AM »

Yukihiro Takahashi from Yellow Magic Orchestra, which Haruomi Hosono was also a part of, whom (apparently) collaborated with Van Dyke Parks in the early '70s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfH6db-r1R8

I wonder how deep the connections go.

Everybody should follow up on this post and check out the music mentioned in this in it. Japanese rock music from the mid 70s to the early 80s betrays a prominent Beach Boys influence. Van Dyke Parks produced the original band Hosono was in, Happy End, and he was a big fan of exotica music. Another member of Happy End was this producer and songwriter Eiichi Otaki. He's absolutely wonderful, and his album A Long Vacation from 1980 features genuine Beach Boys wall of sound type production and a cameo from Fun, Fun, Fun. It's sort of weird sh*t, and is hard to track down, but it's a special pleasure for long time Beach Boys fans, and is incredibly infectious.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:27:22 AM by Fishmonk » Logged

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx