gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681064 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 02:25:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 573163 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 12, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »

Like, I really can't listen to most of SIP, but keeping it out of print and omitting it from the tour programs is just dumb. It happened, you can't take it back, all albums and events are important to your history and your existence as an artist in one way or another, so pretending like it didn't happen doesn't really work.

I agree.  But regarding SIP, I was listening recently to some 80's and early 90's pop -- and I noticed, honestly, it's all like that.  There's simply a major cheesy, goofy pop-thing going on...as we all know.  But it really hit me and put into perspective that BB85 and SIP and Still Crusin' -- they're really not that bad taken in context for what they are.  It's not there best stuff, obviously.  Brian was MIA.  But, I mean they were the Beach Boys...not some underground or niche genre music.  They always stayed in the POP vein.  Minus Smiley and Smile...they've always trended with pop stylings -- not fringe.

And if you listen to these (admittedly not very good) albums, the pain is softened a lot (for me) when I remember -- hey, this is the 80s and early 90s.  This is what was happening.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 12, 2012, 09:12:04 AM »

Like, I really can't listen to most of SIP, but keeping it out of print and omitting it from the tour programs is just dumb. It happened, you can't take it back, all albums and events are important to your history and your existence as an artist in one way or another, so pretending like it didn't happen doesn't really work.

I agree.  But regarding SIP, I was listening recently to some 80's and early 90's pop -- and I noticed, honestly, it's all like that.  There's simply a major cheesy, goofy pop-thing going on...as we all know.  But it really hit me and put into perspective that BB85 and SIP and Still Crusin' -- they're really not that bad taken in context for what they are.  It's not there best stuff, obviously.  Brian was MIA.  But, I mean they were the Beach Boys...not some underground or niche genre music.  They always stayed in the POP vein.  Minus Smiley and Smile...they've always trended with pop stylings -- not fringe.

And if you listen to these (admittedly not very good) albums, the pain is softened a lot (for me) when I remember -- hey, this is the 80s and early 90s.  This is what was happening.

I've been listening to it in that context recently, I've gotten to love albums like McCartney II and Still Crusin' because of it, and of course i've always loved BW 80'

ahoutman1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 12, 2012, 09:13:32 AM »

well theres two good vibrations on the smiley disc. So official stereo mix?

Not possible.

Well I know that. I'm Just saying that something stereo with the name of good vibrations is on that cd.
Be it a backing track, early vocals, digital extraction or something else. For the whole album though wouldn't there be parts missing in the stereo mix?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 12, 2012, 09:25:56 AM »

FatherOfTheMan brought this MP3 download to light a while back but no one really commented on it. I was curious if anyone had any information on this 2012 mono remaster of Pet Sounds (Who did the mixing? What is different about it?)...

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Sounds-Mono/dp/B008F67RH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 12, 2012, 09:32:30 AM »

Not just Pet Sounds... Amazon UK lists four or five "remastered" versions of the Surfin' Safari album released as MP3 downloads earlier this year though lacking the proper album artwork. I wondered, when I first noticed these, whether there's a copyright expiry issue come up? Just coincidence that SS is one of the missing albums from the Japanese remaster series?

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: July 12, 2012, 09:34:47 AM »

I hope they remaster Pet Sounds again. 20 different masters aren't quite enough for me. They should release a mono fold-down of the stereo mix. They should remaster a remaster. Has THAT ever been done? Can you imagine the results? It'd be a nutbuster, rest assured.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:36:39 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 12, 2012, 09:35:12 AM »

Any more news about these? Do we have any forum members from Japan who are planning on buying them?

I'm from Brazil, but I pre-ordered Smiley Smile.
And because it's so expensive, I'll buy one per month.
I'll buy 9 from these remasters. The exceptions: Pet Sounds, Sunflower and Surf's Up (the last two I have in vinyl, they're the same remasters).
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 12, 2012, 09:50:47 AM »

Not just Pet Sounds... Amazon UK lists four or five "remastered" versions of the Surfin' Safari album released as MP3 downloads earlier this year though lacking the proper album artwork. I wondered, when I first noticed these, whether there's a copyright expiry issue come up? Just coincidence that SS is one of the missing albums from the Japanese remaster series?

In the UK, there's a copyright lapse thing happening where public domain labels can issue material that is 50+ years old without permission/paying royalties.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 12, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »

I hope they remaster Pet Sounds again. 20 different masters aren't quite enough for me. They should release a mono fold-down of the stereo mix. They should remaster a remaster. Has THAT ever been done? Can you imagine the results? It'd be a nutbuster, rest assured.
LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 12, 2012, 10:59:46 AM »

They should release a mono fold-down of the stereo mix.

Exactly.  We don't have that.  Fold-down the stereo --> to mono --> then duophonic-ize that bad-boy.  Simulated stereo of the stereo, baby.  With added echo.  Best played with your head in blender.

There's really only one more PS remaster I'd add to my fleet -- a decent hi-res mono.  I would buy another MFSL SACD if they did a mono.  I'd still feel like an idiot buying it again...but you know.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 12, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »

FatherOfTheMan brought this MP3 download to light a while back but no one really commented on it. I was curious if anyone had any information on this 2012 mono remaster of Pet Sounds (Who did the mixing? What is different about it?)...

Not to be a dick, but it was I who brought it to light!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 12, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »

Not to be a dick, but it was I who brought it to light!

Apologies Cheesy.

I remember seeing a thread he made at the beginning of the month about this - the day it was released.

Regardless, would love any more information on it (is it worth purchasing?)

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 12, 2012, 11:34:30 AM »

There's really only one more PS remaster I'd add to my fleet -- a decent hi-res mono.  I would buy another MFSL SACD if they did a mono.  I'd still feel like an idiot buying it again...but you know.

Not opposed at all. Sans the sudden "Maybe I did push the Q-tip a bit too far in the other day" moment in "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" where Mike's bridge vocal was "restored", the recent MFSL releases of the stereo mixes are pretty durn good. I still wanna know how "You Still Believe In Me" suddenly has a doubled vocal again.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #413 on: July 12, 2012, 12:19:53 PM »

They can remaster it all they want but it's still a 320 mp3. Like installing a jacuzzi in a shithouse.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 12, 2012, 12:36:13 PM »

The last horizon for Pet Sounds re-issues is a CD-ROM Containing the raw multitracks for us to do up our own mixes.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 12, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »

I would absolutely DIE (and waste hundreds of hours) if that ever happened.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 12, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »

They can remaster it all they want but it's still a 320 mp3. Like installing a jacuzzi in a sh*thouse.
I can't believe people still believe this stuff. I have taken many double blind tests and except for very few exceptions, I never could tell the difference.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 12, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »

Not opposed at all. Sans the sudden "Maybe I did push the Q-tip a bit too far in the other day" moment in "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" where Mike's bridge vocal was "restored", the recent MFSL releases of the stereo mixes are pretty durn good. I still wanna know how "You Still Believe In Me" suddenly has a doubled vocal again.

They (whomever at MFSL) took the single lead vocal of YSBIM and artificially doubled it.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 12, 2012, 02:53:50 PM »

They can remaster it all they want but it's still a 320 mp3. Like installing a jacuzzi in a sh*thouse.
I can't believe people still believe this stuff. I have taken many double blind tests and except for very few exceptions, I never could tell the difference.

I just bought the Amazon mono 2012 remaster.

It sounds much more cleaned up than Pet Sounds Sessions mono album.

The hissing at the beginning of WIBN is pretty much gone (though a few 'pops' occur during that intro :/). The guitars in Sloop John B seem to have been turned down a bit, really letting the vocals shine. You can really notice the difference during GOK when the tambourine(?) comes in (:08 mark) when comparing to the Pet Sounds Sessions mono version.

Anyways, to my ears it sounds great - each instrument seems much more prominent, the vocals are cleaned up a bit. There's nothing truly earth shattering here, but if you want a good mono version of Pet Sounds for on-the-go, I recommend it.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 12, 2012, 03:32:20 PM »

They (whomever at MFSL) took the single lead vocal of YSBIM and artificially doubled it.
I highly doubt that. Whatever was done, was done by Mark Linett. MFSL only masters and releases what is given to them. Mark stated at Hoffman many months before release that the doubled lead was back.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 12, 2012, 09:29:48 PM »

The last horizon for Pet Sounds re-issues is a CD-ROM Containing the raw multitracks for us to do up our own mixes.
Afro  Ooo, yeah..  That'd be on point.

But then they'd need to come out with the Blu-ray-Rom that had all the multitracks in Hi-Res 24/192.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 12, 2012, 09:35:21 PM »

Yeah, I really liked the MFSL stereo a lot.  Mike's bridge-vocal "restoration" is the only scar.  And...YSBIM's double track vocal is -- shall we say -- a surprise? (eye-brow raised.)

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 13, 2012, 03:25:00 AM »

With all due respect, that's due to your ears. A trained listener (sound engineers for one) will most of the time be able to tell the difference between a compressed file and a lossless file.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 13, 2012, 03:37:26 AM »

CD-Roms are so 1999, it'll be a digital Cloud like McCartney's Rude Studio.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 13, 2012, 04:14:56 AM »

With all due respect, that's due to your ears. A trained listener (sound engineers for one) will most of the time be able to tell the difference between a compressed file and a lossless file.
With all due respect most if not all make the claim they hear a difference, but from what I read many refuse to take the test.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,