gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 09:43:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Somewhat off topic: Stars and Stripes again?  (Read 1967 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:56:57 PM »

http://www.wflx.com/story/25455895/the-doobie-brothers?config=H264

Somewhat off topic: not sure who else is a Doobie Brothers fan, but they have a new album coming out that is similar to Stars and Stripes, Vol. 1. They even have Toby Keith in there.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:40:28 PM »

Good grief, one S&S was enough. It didn't work for the Beach Boys, it's not going to work for the Doobies, either, but it does seem to be a trend lately - get an aging rock star - John Fogerty, Ray Davies - paired up with some youngsters doing the old classics, and thereby - presumably - picking up sales from fans of both.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:38:20 AM »

Never a good sign for a band!

Cook pork throughly
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »

I enjoyed Stars And Stripes. There'a a good 5-6 songs on there that are worthwhile, about the amount found on a Brian Wilson solo album. I listened to it a lot until Imagination came out; it filled a gap. It's a worn cliche but it is what it is. Obviously, it would've been stronger with Tammy Wynette's "In My Room" and the rumored Rodney Crowell-led "Sail On Sailor". It'll never happen but I wish(ed) they would reissue it with a couple of bonus tracks and a DVD of the documentary of the making of the album, which was excellent BTW...
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 02:08:29 PM »

I enjoyed Stars And Stripes. There'a a good 5-6 songs on there that are worthwhile, about the amount found on a Brian Wilson solo album. I listened to it a lot until Imagination came out; it filled a gap. It's a worn cliche but it is what it is. Obviously, it would've been stronger with Tammy Wynette's "In My Room" and the rumored Rodney Crowell-led "Sail On Sailor". It'll never happen but I wish(ed) they would reissue it with a couple of bonus tracks and a DVD of the documentary of the making of the album, which was excellent BTW...

We're like-minded, Constable.  Thought I was the only person on the face of the earth that liked S&S.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 02:20:55 PM »

I love a few select tracks. Otherwise it's fun, I guess.  LOL
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »

Good grief, one S&S was enough. It didn't work for the Beach Boys, it's not going to work for the Doobies, either, but it does seem to be a trend lately - get an aging rock star - John Fogerty, Ray Davies - paired up with some youngsters doing the old classics, and thereby - presumably - picking up sales from fans of both.

I guess the Beach Boys are quite ahead of their time.  They had this concept nearly 20 years ago (holy crap...has it been that long?Huh).

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »

The reason I don't like albums like this is because I've already heard the Doobie Brothers and the Beach Boys kick those songs' ass.  Why in the hell would I want to hear them hand half of each song over to somebody else to sing?

Now... if you told me, "Hey, The Beach Boys are going to record a *NEW* song with Willie Nelson!"  I'd be very excited.  If you told me that out of all people, the Doobie Brothers and Toby Keith were writing a *NEW* song, I'd go ahead and stash a twenty away so I could buy that album.

But just re-recordings of songs that were already so perfect we consider them classics?  Why? 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 11:27:35 PM »

I liked "Warmth of the Sun" with Willie, and enjoyed the Timothy Schmit and Kathy Troccoli tracks, but really, I did not need another album of remakes in 1996. I kept reading in various places that Brian had a bunch of new songs, so where were they? Not on the IJWMFTT soundtrack, not on OCA. That's probably why I overrated Imagination at first -  I was just so doggone glad to finally hear some new Brian Wilson songs.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 07:14:18 AM »

I'm another fan of 'stars and stripes'.....

my favourite, lorrie morgan 'don't worry baby'........ what a greatly produced track.....

and those harmonies are spine tingling to me..... and to think those are sort of the last recordings with Carl...

had he'd made it to 'TWGMTR',  the album would have been 10/10 for me...... I miss that man.

I do think now however, some of the songs on 'stars' sound dated and pop corny country..... i.e: little deuce coupe, sloop john. be true.....

I love 409, caroline no, willie's version, and long tall Texan was a good touch.......

the harmonies in 'I can hear music' are really cool too..

RickB
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 11:20:56 AM »

I really enjoyed stars and stripes when it first came out. But it really has not aged well. I think the concept could work well for the doobie bros. They're most recent album from a few years back was good.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »

Hey aniversari! yeah I remember when stars&stripes came out, I was in fifth grade ha. I thought it was cool that they were trying to stay fresh even tho now in retrospect its not the greatest album and if it never happened it wouldnt have been a loss yknow .
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx