gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680910 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 05:04:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian on future Beach Boys plans, no more reunions!  (Read 38967 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 20, 2013, 02:34:06 PM »

That quote in the rolling stone article is enough to make you hate Mike Love.

What a tool

Yes, how terrible of him to call it brilliant and beautiful. What an awful, awful man.

So you missed him blowing his brains out with a gun, saying that because he didn't write it, it doesn't have a "silver cloud". If Mike got his hands on that song he would have changed it to "Summer's gone but not for long".

Yes, he mimed blowing his brains out. God forbid anyone ever make a joke. And what he's saying about his own writing is *exactly what all the people who attack Mike say about it too*. He said that if he'd done it, it would have been happier -- which it would. He didn't say it was bad, just that he would have done it differently.

Stop trying to defend his actions.

I'll defend him when he's defensible, as he clearly is in this case.

He doesn't appreciate when Brian puts his soul into his music. He wants Brian singing about Beaches and nostalgia for the rest of his days.

Actually, it seems like Mike doesn't particularly care what Brian does at all any more. That is, after all, what everyone has been attacking him for for the last six months...

I'm not saying Mike was always like that, His work at one point was so good I'd classify him as a genius but he's lost it, his creativity and his mind.

He's clearly got no creativity left, no, given every song he's worked on in the last thirty years or so. As for his mind, I strongly suspect you have no more idea of Mike's mental state than I or anyone else do.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
halblaineisgood
« Reply #201 on: February 20, 2013, 02:44:24 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:28:54 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #202 on: February 20, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:25:14 PM by zatch » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #203 on: February 20, 2013, 03:01:36 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:25:10 PM by zatch » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 20, 2013, 03:14:52 PM »

It really is hard to defend about 90% of Mike's creative choices post -1975.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »

With The Beach Boys songs yes. Not so much some of the solo stuff with Celebration, First Love and Unleash the Love.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 20, 2013, 03:22:42 PM »

With The Beach Boys songs yes. Not so much some of the solo stuff with Celebration, First Love and Unleash the Love.
I see you left out Country Love.... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Nicko1234
« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2013, 03:24:06 PM »

I see you left out Country Love.... Grin

That's why I used the word 'some'...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 20, 2013, 03:28:23 PM »

I think Mike is becoming a tragic figure in the BBs story in some ways. A guy who wanted the fame and songwriting skills he had as a young man. Instead, he turned himself and his group into parodies of themselves.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »

Wouldn't this have to apply to ALL the Beach Boys other than Dennis??
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2013, 03:34:40 PM »

I hear that young Turk Brian has done the odd worthwhile tune.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2013, 03:38:01 PM »

Duplicate message
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:44:15 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #212 on: February 20, 2013, 03:41:10 PM »

Obviously I wouldn't say that 90% of Brian's creative choices have been wrong but a fair chunk of them (or the decisions that people have made for him) have been. The post 76 BBs albums, BB88 to some extent, Sweet Insanity, GIOMH, Speed Turtle etc. Thankfully that has been righted (and he has been advised better) over the past several years...
Nicko1234
« Reply #213 on: February 20, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »

I think Mike is becoming a tragic figure in the BBs story in some ways. A guy who wanted the fame and songwriting skills he had as a young man. Instead, he turned himself and his group into parodies of themselves.

This is a guy in his 70s who travels the world singing songs to thousands of appreciative fans every night and gets to have sex with beautiful, younger women on a regular basis. I wish I could be that tragic!  Smiley

I'm sure Mike couldn't really care less about his public image and his name will always be on those early hits. I doubt the band's post 76 career will live on the same way except with the hardcore...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 20, 2013, 03:48:43 PM »

Of course, but my #1 fave Beach Boys song ever is "Goin On" which he wrote with Mike and my #2 is "Getcha Back"..... I'm obviously not claiming to be in any sort of majority of opinion here.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 20, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »

Of course, but my #1 fave Beach Boys song ever is "Goin On" which he wrote with Mike and my #2 is "Getcha Back"..... I'm obviously not claiming to be in any sort of majority of opinion here.

Those are definitely two of Mike's later day highlights.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2013, 04:04:51 PM »

Its not a coincidence those two highlights broke away from the "Fun in the Sun" mold.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »

This picture was just posted on FB of Brian working on something at Ocean Way. Priceless look on his face. I know I don't have to explain this to any of you, but how heartwarming is this photo?

Seems the studio was sold a week or so ago.

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2013/02/13/ocean-way-recording-sold-to-hudson-pacific-owners-of-adjacent-sunset-gowersunset-bronson-studios/

While on the subject of blowing one's brains out. Please hope Michael Bolton and Brian don't get any ideas over the coffee machine.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:25:06 PM by zatch » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »

Its not a coincidence those two highlights broke away from the "Fun in the Sun" mold.

Good point! "Pitter Patter" is another good example of this rare phenomena.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »

Please hope Michael Bolton and Brian don't get any ideas over the coffee machine.
Suddenly I heard Brian singing "When A Man Loves A Woman" with his late-70s Love You voice in my head...

Could be worse -- I heard Michael Bolton singing When A Man *Needs* A Woman in my head after reading your post.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2013, 05:45:17 PM »

I bet it'd be fun to get drunk with Mike if nothing else.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 20, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »

I bet it'd be fun to get drunk with Mike if nothing else.

God yes. I'd actually love (no pun intended) to meet/hang out with the guy.

As much as I bitch about his lyrics and his blitzkrieg of Endless Summer shenanigans, I have no idea what motivates this man to do the things he does, and thus I can't blame him for the decisions he's made. In his mind he's probably doing the most rational thing he can to stay happy (touring, keeping fans happy with the music they love).

That being said, I still wouldn't complain if he had nothing to do with Brian's current project.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 20, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »

Before this turns into anti-Mike Love thread #5838565748, I'd like to state very firmly that I want one last great BW-written rocker, in the style of Morning Beat for instance, lead-sung by Michael Edward Love. That's it. That's all I want. The new album can perfectly have that one song and I'll be happy.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 20, 2013, 07:10:42 PM »

well put, doc.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: