gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681074 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 03:45:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fogerty, CSN and Steve Earle and The Pogues last Sunday in Aus  (Read 1262 times)
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2012, 06:25:03 AM »

Sunday just gone, I attended my cities annual Blues and Roots festival,  The leading acts were John Fogerty, Crosby Stills and Nash, Steve Earle and The Pogues.  It was FANTASTIC.  What a day.

Fogerty headlined and was on for two hours, He played all of Cosmos Factory plus other CCR hits and his solo stuff,  His voice is still amazing and we sung and danced our hearts out.  My housemate has been a fan of his forever and he was awestruck.

CSN - A favorite of mine as I love the harmonies,  Marrakesh Express was good but the harmonies weren't really there,  they were in other songs but not this one, which was a bit of a let down.  I remember singing this to my sister when we were on The Marrakesh Express in Morocco and she thought I was making it up Smiley

Steve Earle was AMAZING -  I love this guys voice!!  He really sings with his accent,   He also came out to sing with CSN when they sang Teach your children well.

The Pogues -  Well..  I am a little in awe of these guys,   Shane MacGowans' voice sounded like he'd been punched out my Tyson, smoked a carton of cigarettes and eaten a bowl of cornflakes with no milk  - PERFECT.    

The sun was shining, the crowds were happy and free and the cider flowed nicely,   Best day I've had for yonks!  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:26:59 AM by Wild-Honey » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »

That's cool - I love CSN.

Also, yonks?
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »

I'd think Marrakesh Express would be harder to pull off live, because Nash is the only one in that group who can sing well that high, and the original record sounds like multiple overdubs of Nash himself.  It was originally supposed to be a Hollies song, and it would have sounded really good with both Alan Clarke and Nash singing on it.  Too bad the band or the producers rejected the song (one of the reasons Nash left the Hollies).
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »

J.C. Fogerty is a national treasure. The Swamp Rocker from El Cerrito. His concerts are outstanding. And he brings along top shelf musicians on the road with him. And yes, Kenny Aronoff is definitely one of them!! Creedence had the tightest rhythm section in Rock & Roll. Period.

There use to be an excellent web site with all of Fogerty's guitars and amps and other stuff. Pictures taken by a huge fan/collector of EVERYTHING that Fogerty uses/used in the studio and on the road. I don't see it now. This one's second best:

http://www.backonstage.halmstad.net/tk/fogag.htm

The baseball bat guitar that he used for "Centerfield" was given to the baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown.

Last I heard, Fogerty lives up near Brian Wilson, or near the last house he lived in.

I strongly recommend watching this DVD, recorded at the Wiltern in '05. I've watched it 47 times (I counted) already. A few songs in, a spotlight shines on the crowd and there's a guy wearing a "Brian Wilson Presents Smile" shirt. A lighlight is watching Billy Burnette playing guitar with John. The bass player is the spittin' image of Stu Cook!

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Road-Home-Concert-Dig/dp/B000IFQLBE

Does "The Old Man Down the Road" sound like "Run Through The Jungle"?   Naaaaaaaaaaah.    Zanz Kant Danz.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:11:12 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 07:49:04 PM »

That's cool - I love CSN.

Also, yonks?

Yonks?  Sorry I had a few wines before I posted  Undecided   It means Donkey years, donks, yonks. I'm sure that REALLY cleared it up for you  Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx