gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 04:28:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys in movie soundtracks this year  (Read 1877 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2009, 06:12:31 AM »

Well, i'm sure there's more.  But i've got two movies in mind that had beach boys in them.

First off, Richard Curtis' Pirate Radio (aka The Boat That Rocked) has Wouldn't It Be Nice and Little Saint Nick.
Curtis obv used God Only Knows at the end of Love Actually.

Then Wes Anderson' Fantastic Mr. Fox has I Get Around, Heroes and Villains, and Ol Man River (a capella).  

Pirate Radio is about a Radio station on a boat in the late 60's.  In fact if i had to guess, i'd say Curtis is a big fan of the boys.  END SPOILERS FOR THE MOVIE............

as the boat is sinking, the last song that is played is wouldn't it be nice.  quite an important part.  just like GOK had the ending for love actually. 

END SPOILERS. 

Then Anderson has always focused his soundtracks with music from that era.  Darjeeling Limited's trailer had 2 Kinks songs etc.  and i think for normal bands, Beach Boys are the most present for that movie.  

i think this is cool cause, Pirate Radio is pretty slick and Anderson is modernly hip.  likewise.  the beach boys are becoming hip again y'see.  not like they haven't been, as one who's just removed from college.  the cool kids listen to the boys.  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 06:45:41 AM by Runaways » Logged
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:17:53 AM »

Also, the Prisoner remake last night on AMC featured Sloop John B and (more prominently) "In Blue Hawaii" in an odd dream/torture scene no less. Side note, the Prisoner remake is pretty amazing so far and for using two BW songs - that gets major points.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:19:02 AM »

Not to be crass, but, what kind of money do the Beachboys make when a song is featured prominently in a movie?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:41:18 AM »

$1.79

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »

I don't know about movies, but when I was working for a toy company, we would pay a small percentage for each item sold for use of a song; 3% per unit was the standard. I would guess that they would have something similar for films.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:34:45 AM »

On the Seinfeld DVD they said on the commentary they had to pay a fortune for WIBN

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 04:27:19 PM »

i dunno how much they make. prob not too much. 

i wonder how much it costs to use them.  i hear it costs a fortune to use beatles songs.  obv the boys aren't nearly as expensive.   
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 07:45:56 AM »

You can make inferences about their music budget based on what's being used, and for what.  That Prisoner remake featured several items from BWPS, not the BB version of H&V, for example, so they would have dealt with Brian's people and BRI for publishing, but not EMI.  Not being a top 40 hit, less $ to be paid.  The only BB tracks used were Sloop John B (that probably cost some $$, being a hit) and "I Know There's An Answer", which NOBODY uses, and thus the license fee for that one  would have been smaller.  As Cam would say, I'd bet a donut my hunch on this is right, though of course I will defer to the insiders/scholars.

It's cool that the Prisoner remakers are Brian fans, but I'm annoyed that the final plot twist was basically the "living in two states of consciousness" thing the Matrix did better, the "Village" life helping people cope with their "real life", while paying lip service to Patrick McGoohan's central concepts (including his idea of "who is number one", esp. that everyone is a prisoner of their limitations/fears/etc.).  I can see now why he didn't want his name on it.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx