gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680914 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 01:15:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Timin' ? :/  (Read 21180 times)
Danimalist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2012, 04:33:20 PM »

Finally found it:

Carl Wilson: (talking about 15 Big Ones to Timothy White)
You know, Brian and I wrote one song for this new album called Good Timing. It's got a lot of counterpoint to it, lyrics overlapping.
You need good timing
Lay down your worries
It takes good timing
Lay down your troubles

If your take those words and sing them where Brian sings his answer vocals in the concert versions of Good Timin', it fits perfectly.

The vocal line and the lyrics would have greatly improved an already very good recording.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2012, 08:10:04 AM »

Finally found it:

You know, Brian and I wrote one song for this new album called Good Timing. It's got a lot of counterpoint to it, lyrics overlapping.
You need good timing
Lay down your worries
It takes good timing
Lay down your troubles

If your take those words and sing them where Brian sings his answer vocals in the concert versions of Good Timin', it fits perfectly.

The vocal line and the lyrics would have greatly improved an already very good recording.

Yerp. Cry

Thanks for posting those lyrics - never saw them before.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2012, 10:41:59 AM »

I remember seeing them in concert back in the day and freaking when Brian did the echo lead vocal...

Really wish this was on the studio version. Does a really good soundboard version of a live take with that vocal even exist or circulate among fans?

He was doing that short echo part during the 1980 shows. I know he did it at the DC, July 4th show (which was  broadcast), and I'm thinking it might have been on the 4-18 Philadelphia radio concert as well (though don't quote me on the latter...I'd have to dig that one out to verify).

On a related note, I was under the impression that Stephen Desper did the live radio *mix* for that noted coast-to-coast, live '80 radio show from the Philly Spectrum. Correct, Steve? I remember staying up to record it, only to have my local affiliate (WMMS) "kindly" decide to not run the encore!!!!!!

EDIT: Lo and behold. Look what I found on YouTube. The DC version of Good Timin'. Though, it seems the sound man was a tad late in potting up Brian's mic on that answer vocal at the end. But you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBVRz4RC4ns

Thanks much. I was just about to go on a goosechase for this.

Here's another one from the '80 tour with the Brian echo/answer part...Knebworth. His bit starts around the 1:41 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtcbfLnRfpo

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2013, 11:20:12 AM »

Hope this wasn't posted before, I didn't go through the whle thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5n29qDO_34

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »

Finally found it:

You need good timing
Lay down your worries
It takes good timing
Lay down your troubles

I've always been much more lukewarm on "Good Timin'" than most fans because I've always felt that the song was missing something.  Is this why, I wonder?
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2013, 06:22:41 PM »

those unused lyrics are  kinda getting into the Lay Down Burden territory-seems like I read a Joe Thomas interview where he mentioned  an earlier version of  LDB  that ended up being Spring Vacation that had lyrics very close to these
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »

Hope this wasn't posted before, I didn't go through the whle thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5n29qDO_34

Something interesting I noticed: at the very end (about 2:08) you can clearly hear Bruce's keyboard.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx