gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 07:09:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike now talking 50th Reunion with Brian  (Read 25359 times)
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2009, 09:46:56 AM »

Hi-five southbay!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Wilsonista
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2009, 11:09:03 AM »

All we need to do is...
1. Get a great producer (hey, how about Don Was or Sean O'Hagan, they're good?);
2. Get some great material (hey, how about Mike and Brian just write about 12 great songs together without threatening to maim or at least sue each other?)
3. Get that $500,000 advance an artist such as the Beach Boys will require to record this watershed album that ANY major label would die for;
4. Get somebody to replace Carl's vocals (this should be easy as voices like his are really a dime a dozen);
5. Get the remaining Beach Boys to agree to be in the same room together for more than about 30 minutes;
6. See if we can dig up Derek Taylor to stir up the appropriate  interest in this endeavor.

I would like a real grand finale for this group more than anyone, but, you guys all left reality at the front door of this thread, right?

Finallly, some common sense!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2009, 12:30:38 PM »

All we need to do is...
1. Get a great producer (hey, how about Don Was or Sean O'Hagan, they're good?);
2. Get some great material (hey, how about Mike and Brian just write about 12 great songs together without threatening to maim or at least sue each other?)
3. Get that $500,000 advance an artist such as the Beach Boys will require to record this watershed album that ANY major label would die for;
4. Get somebody to replace Carl's vocals (this should be easy as voices like his are really a dime a dozen);
5. Get the remaining Beach Boys to agree to be in the same room together for more than about 30 minutes;
6. See if we can dig up Derek Taylor to stir up the appropriate  interest in this endeavor.

I would like a real grand finale for this group more than anyone, but, you guys all left reality at the front door of this thread, right?

Finallly, some common sense!

Thing is with Beachboyland that Strange Things Happen.

Whod've thought ten years ago that Brian would be touring, that he'd've finished SMiLE, that the law suits would have ended and that AGD would confess to liking Looking Back With Love? That Al would've recorded a solo album that wasn't all country & western/folk versions of Sloop John B? That David Marks would be well-and-truly back in the fold? That Mike & Bruce would be the touring version of our favourite band, and that many hard-core fans actually rate them very highly?

Beachboyland isn't normal.

That's why we keep the faith, as David Leaf so succinctly used to put it (and who'd've thought he'd be persona non-grata at BW gigs?)

Because if it's really, truly, absolutely fricking certain that something won't happen, it's a dead cert that it will.

Or not.

THAT's the way it is -  embrace the truth, get real! Maybe. Perhaps. Could be.

Deep in your heart, you know you want it to be this way.

“We live in divisive times.”
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »

I shouldn't blame you.  I dreamed big in 1985. And 1989. And 1995.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2009, 04:02:04 PM »

All we need to do is...

1. Get a great producer

4. Get somebody to replace Carl's vocals

How about for 1) James Guercio and for 4) Peter Cetera police
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2009, 05:31:14 PM »

If they could just get the right producer....That's been the key (for better or worse, usually worse) for a long, long time.

How about some good songs as well? I'd much rather hear quality songs than quality production. Of course both are vitally important, but I'd rather hear a song as good as say "God Only Knows" with BB '85 style production than hear "Summer Of Love" with Pet Sounds style production.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2009, 05:41:05 PM »

I would LOVE to hear Summer of Love with Pet Sounds production! That would be AWESOME.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2009, 06:23:27 PM »

yes please a beach boys reunion  Grin get mike, al, brian, david, and bruce together not too mention record a new album together as a one last amazing album like what the beatles did with abbey road..

Your expections are ridiculously high; prepare for ultimate disappointment if a new album comes to fruition.

If they could just get the right producer....That's been the key (for better or worse, usually worse) for a long, long time.

Nah...ultimately if the quality of the material is sub-par, there is only *so much* a producer could do. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Nicko1234
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2009, 07:00:13 PM »

I don`t know why some people naturally assume that any new material might not be up to much. There have been some good songs on Brian`s solo stuff, on Mike`s unreleased album and, by the sound of it, Al`s CD too. If the band members were to write 2-4 songs each then there is no reason why they might not come up to scratch.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2009, 07:43:55 PM »

For example, Santa's Goin to Kokomo was awesome.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2009, 07:46:22 PM »

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, Luther, but as you know, Mike has far more respectable songs than that one.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2009, 07:47:44 PM »

I was indeed being sarcastic.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2009, 02:04:04 AM »

I was indeed being sarcastic.

You must have been referring to Camp California?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2009, 03:51:06 AM »

All we need to do is...

1. Get a great producer

4. Get somebody to replace Carl's vocals

How about for 1) James Guercio and for 4) Peter Cetera police

Well, if Al doesn't hurry up, they might have a recording with Carl.... (Don't fight the sea)
Christian Love sounds great btw and often very reminiscent of Carl Wouldn't mind him and Matt Jardine filling out the Boys' blend

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2009, 06:05:22 AM »

I don`t know why some people naturally assume that any new material might not be up to much. There have been some good songs on Brian`s solo stuff, on Mike`s unreleased album and, by the sound of it, Al`s CD too. If the band members were to write 2-4 songs each then there is no reason why they might not come up to scratch.

That's what I'm hoping too. Beach Boys fans tend to have an optimistic streak, and a realistic streak too. It's what keeps us alive!

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2009, 06:16:57 AM »

That's what I'm hoping too. Beach Boys fans tend to have an optimistic streak, and a realistic streak too. It's what keeps us alive!

Oh. Was it that then?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2009, 06:46:01 AM »

Yep. There are three possibilities. First, they might already have a few songs written just looking for a home. Second, the spark of a new, meaningful project could lead to some renewed creativity. Or third, maybe they could collaborate among themselves like they did successfully in the past.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2009, 08:21:31 AM »

Yep. There are three possibilities. First, they might already have a few songs written just looking for a home. Second, the spark of a new, meaningful project could lead to some renewed creativity. Or third, maybe they could collaborate among themselves like they did successfully in the past.

Like, in: tucking Brian in in a four-poster and supplying him with hamburgers and Bolivian Marching Powder, and the rest working in the home studio, with the very occasional visit of Brother Bri, to do a couple of staccato synth drones? Could be. A. Distinct. Possibility.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »

Like, in: tucking Brian in a four-poster and supplying him with hamburgers and Bolivian Marching Powder, and the rest working in the home studio, with the very occasional visit of Brother Bri, to do a couple of staccato synth drones? Could be. A. Distinct. Possibility.

Ah, there we go again, reminiscing about the good times...

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »

Like, in: tucking Brian in a four-poster and supplying him with hamburgers and Bolivian Marching Powder, and the rest working in the home studio, with the very occasional visit of Brother Bri, to do a couple of staccato synth drones? Could be. A. Distinct. Possibility.

LOL

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2009, 01:49:11 PM »

Christian Love sounds great btw and often very reminiscent of Carl...

Christian Love has a good voice, which does help fill the mid-range hole in the harmonies in concert, but, imho, aside from some familial charactering in his voice, he doesn't sound much like Carl. I think his sister Hayleigh comes closer.

Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2009, 05:05:13 PM »

now thats when the boys really used to know how to get the whole gang together for an album LOL
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:13:26 PM by Rocky » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2009, 02:58:08 PM »

I *do* agree with this.  There are some good tracks off of Brian Wilson's That Lucky Old Sun such as "Live Let Live" and "Midnight's Another Day".  Mike Love had a pretty darn good tune with "Cool Head, Warm Heart".  And Al Jardine's "Driving" sounds like it will be a pretty decent track.  The problem is the band is rather direction-less and incomplete without Carl Wilson.  Without his presence there would be holes in the harmonies; just wouldn't sound right.  And although you could try and fill these holes with Christian Love or Matt Jardine, neither are actual Beach Boys.  Brian Wilson's interest in the project would be questionable at best; no one really knows whether or not he really wants to work with these guys again.  I just think if these guys tried to do another album it would be quite sub-par at best, or another Summer In Paradise at worst.  Without the heart and soul of the group (namely Dennis and Carl), I just don't care for new Beach Boys material. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2009, 04:02:13 PM »

The problem is the band is rather direction-less and incomplete without Carl Wilson.  Without his presence there would be holes in the harmonies; just wouldn't sound right.  And although you could try and fill these holes with Christian Love or Matt Jardine, neither are actual Beach Boys.

Yes, the harmonies situation would be a question mark. But, I can see/hear Bruce taking Carl's part and David Marks singing Dennis' part. When Bruce really tries, he can still sing repectably, and, I've recently seen some David Marks' performances on YouTube and he was quite impressive.

Yes, it would be quite feasible to utilize the talents of a Matt Jardine or Jeff Foskett to sing the high harmony as "insurance". They have both been used effectively on projects like Stars and Stripes and Brian's solo albums. Really, the harmonies are not a big concern of mine. I won't say how good (or bad?) they'll sound, but I know they'll sound a little different. Again, with the right producer, studio technology, Brian's vocal arranging, and the guys' rising to the occasion, I'm confident and optimistic. I really believe the days of Love You and Getting In Over My Head - vocally - are a thing of the past.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2009, 07:35:49 PM »

Brians favorite albums then!

Oh wait...they were yesterday.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx