gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680897 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 05, 2024, 07:04:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE - stereo mix by Barnshine  (Read 6530 times)
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 06:20:09 AM »

If I or anyone of us can make a decent stereo mix, I can't see why Mark Linnett and Alan Boyd couldn't make a great one...

5:1 is impossible though for some songs.
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 05:46:16 PM »

Great Effort

I love how parts of it (especially the vocals) seem to wrap around your ears like candyfloss round a stick

not too into what you've done with Gee, and a few other bits go a little too off and go round a little deviation, it's your mix tho so fair play to you
i do like 'DYLW's thats great especially from 1.08 onwards, that is the 1st candyfloss moment for me, 2:17 onwards does the same, reeeaalllly nice phat and hush/whisper, great timpani(?) sound.
Barnyard with piano in or not - that is the question these days. eitherway great work, bv's a tad too subtle maybe?
OMP/YAMS - drum bit just b4 the singin sounds alittle gated or alittle abrupt on the reverb?nice where the sax comes in, wanted more of this on my ears with this tune from the off really?
CabinEssence -seems to loose vol/impact alittle at 0.43, also would be nice more stereo on over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield
Look 1.51 a teeny too sharp as edit for me?
CIFOTM - nice spread at the beginning, nice sound/spread on the instruments after the vocals, good work
Surf's up - a colossal tune if ever there was, really nice version - undecided on the 71 coda, such a great song tho, that ending is sooooo good - candyfloss moment defo!nice right at the end the harmonising na naaa na na, nana naaa lower bv - great to hear this bit
VegaTables - is this a little quieter up to 1:25? maybe bring it up a notch on that section
Holiday's one song i sooo wish wouldv had lead vocals on. can imagine it with 60s BB singin ala windchimes style. if only....
windchimes - great sound on the wood block, i duno but every edit ive heard of this on the 1.20 mark has always seemd like its choppd a little midg's dick of vocal off right at its beginning, tho 2.16 doesnt seem to have it? wierd, could be my ears but that take its from, i always notice it on dif mixes people have done -  must to be due to the source
Elements - nice and deep, couldv gone more shrill/spikey sounding too on the top end instrumentwise, great piece of audio imagery this tune
Love to Say Da Da, another i'd have loved to hear with lead vocal on, reminds me of some of the 'today' album with it's unusual musical pauses

really impressive piece of work. great effort! Serenade Serenade Happy Dance
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:50:42 PM by AllIWannaDo » Logged
Barnshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 01:11:53 AM »

Great Effort

I love how parts of it (especially the vocals) seem to wrap around your ears like candyfloss round a stick

not too into what you've done with Gee, and a few other bits go a little too off and go round a little deviation, it's your mix tho so fair play to you
i do like 'DYLW's thats great especially from 1.08 onwards, that is the 1st candyfloss moment for me, 2:17 onwards does the same, reeeaalllly nice phat and hush/whisper, great timpani(?) sound.
Barnyard with piano in or not - that is the question these days. eitherway great work, bv's a tad too subtle maybe?
OMP/YAMS - drum bit just b4 the singin sounds alittle gated or alittle abrupt on the reverb?nice where the sax comes in, wanted more of this on my ears with this tune from the off really?
CabinEssence -seems to loose vol/impact alittle at 0.43, also would be nice more stereo on over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield
CIFOTM - nice spread at the beginning, nice sound/spread on the instruments after the vocals, good work
Surf's up - a colossal tune if ever there was, really nice version - undecided on the 71 coda, such a great song tho, that ending is sooooo good - candyfloss moment defo!nice right at the end the harmonising na naaa na na, nana naaa lower bv - great to hear this bit
VegaTables - is this a little quieter up to 1:25? maybe bring it up a notch on that section
Holiday's one song i sooo wish wouldv had lead vocals on. can imagine it with 60s BB singin ala windchimes style. if only....
windchimes - great sound on the wood block, i duno but every edit ive heard of this on the 1.20 mark has always seemd like its choppd a little midg's dick of vocal off right at its beginning, tho 2.16 doesnt seem to have it? wierd, could be my ears but that take its from, i always notice it on dif mixes people have done -  must to be due to the source
Elements - nice and deep, couldv gone more shrill/spikey sounding too on the top end instrumentwise, great piece of audio imagery this tune
Love to Say Da Da, another i'd have loved to hear with lead vocal on, reminds me of some of the 'today' album with it's unusual musical pauses

Wow, thanks for the detailed review! I'll definitely consider some of the comments for the revised mix (which I hope to finish soon).
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 06:26:10 AM »

Great Effort

Wow, thanks for the detailed review! I'll definitely consider some of the comments for the revised mix (which I hope to finish soon).

no worries man, was a pleasure to listen to tbh. only felt compelled to do this on yours, PurpleChicks & Fast Eddies all those years ago
some great work in here, the fades work well by the way, considering you've done this for primarily for yourself (hence the bits like Gee) i really enjoyed how you've thought about it
the mixing tho is a nice piece of work - if you could do this to TSS Disk 1 (seems abit cheap to ask really but heyho) i would be eternaly grateful to you

bring on the revised mix! out of curiosity are there any new SMiLE Stereo mixes you've enjoyed yourself? there's some ineteresting stuff, and some poor stuff but be great to see where your heads at on these if youknowwhatimean....
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx