gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680890 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 08:15:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This is a gift ...  (Read 7897 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »

Listened to the 1:30 of Strange World again. And I realized, as I listened to Brian belting out his lead, along with Mike doing a crazy bass vocal -- this is a real gift. This reunion, no matter these guys' age, is a gift. It is remarkable that they have managed to do this, and make a record that seems to be impressive, besides.

And I realized, that as much as I love Brian as a solo performer, and as much as I thought he was better off without the group -- I don't know if I think that anymore. Those voices back together again, even if they're processed and missing a couple of folks -- it's still Brian and Mike and Al and Bruce singing. Those are the Beach Boys. That is a Beach Boys record, which is dumb and clever and commercial and arty all at the same time -- and it just strikes me how blessed we all are to have this.

I hope that there is more.

Not because I think this album can be topped, or because I want something better or different -- it's just that, at some level that I don't know if I appreciated before, these guys belong together. And if they are going to keep making music -- which seems 100 percent likely -- they should keep doing it together. Because having the Beach Boys singing on that record takes it to an entirely different level than the best Brian Wilson solo album. It just does.

There are so few chances in life, as people get older, to make an epilogue to their stories that is satisfying and relevant and true to their past and future. The Boys have managed to do that. I hope it is as much of a gift to them as it has been to us.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:34:33 PM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:52:15 PM »

100% agreed. The magic is back, and it feels GREAT to be able to see this all go down. I was born the year MIU came out. When I started to get into the band (which coincided with me first getting online), we were all do desperate for new stuff that we actually did a track by track critique of the Wilsons album on the old Wheeler board because Brian was on it.  Oh, Brian's doing a new solo album? Bout damn time. Oh, he's on TV with Deana Carter? Um, I hate country, but okay! Oooh, a symphonic album....that should be decent. Oh lookie, David's appearing on an tape with Mike, Bruce and Adrian Baker. Let me pick one up along with the 10 bucks to fill up my car. LOL

Now, in 2012, we've got a tour that so far has been a rousing success, and we're getting a BRAND NEW BEACH BOYS ALBUM THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WILL BE PRETTY DAMN GOOD. Seriously?! Did the stroke I had last year secretly kill me, and I'm actually in heaven now? Wow....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:07:01 PM »

Listened to the 1:30 of Strange World again. And I realized, as I listened to Brian belting out his lead, along with Mike doing a crazy bass vocal -- this is a real gift. This reunion, no matter these guys' age, is a gift. It is remarkable that they have managed to do this, and make a record that seems to be impressive, besides.

And I realized, that as much as I love Brian as a solo performer, and as much as I thought he was better off without the group -- I don't know if I think that anymore. Those voices back together again, even if they're processed and missing a couple of folks -- it's still Brian and Mike and Al and Bruce singing. Those are the Beach Boys. That is a Beach Boys record, which is dumb and clever and commercial and arty all at the same time -- and it just strikes me how blessed we all are to have this.

Not because I think this album can be topped, or because I want something better or different -- it's just that, at some level that I don't know if I appreciated before, these guys belong together. And if they are going to keep making music -- which seems 100 percent likely -- they should keep doing it together. Because having the Beach Boys singing on that record takes it to an entirely different level than the best Brian Wilson solo album. It just does.

There are so few chances in life, as people get older, to make an epilogue to their stories that is satisfying and relevant and true to their past and future. The Boys have managed to do that. I hope it is as much of a gift to them as it has been to us.
Oh, I agree with you 100%. It seemed silly to me that we had several different groups going out and performing the same music. Mike and Bruce as the BB's doing I Get Around, Good Vibrations, Fun Fun Fun, California Girls, etc. Brian and his band doing the same songs. Al and his band doing those songs. NO! These songs should be performed by THE BEACH BOYS. The oldies circuit is so full of these acts with one original member and a bunch of hired hands, now we have a chance to see and hear the real deal. This IS a great gift, and I hope it is a gift to the guys as well. Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friends.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »

I would have been happy seeing Al reunited with Mike and Bruce for the Regan birthday concert. But we ended up with a multi disc Smile set, a reunion tour with Brian, Al and Dave, and a new album with new music that's actually good. I keep expecting to wake up from this weird year long dream.

The events of the last few months have made me really miss Carl. I wish Dennis were here too of course, but I think I might miss Carl more because I actually grew up with him being part of the band. This year was a miracle, don't get me wrong. A year or two ago the chances of all this happening would have been slim to the extreme. To know that Carl isn't here to see that the group is finally together again as friends and giving the group the ending that they deserve, is somehow unfair and cruel. It really sucks to think about the last decade of the group's existance with Carl. So many things went wrong then, and so many things are going right this time. Does any of this make sense? I know I seem like I'm bitching about this. Don't get me wrong...this has been a wonderful time to be a fan, and not something to be taken for granted.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 10:26:18 PM »

Wirestone, you're going soft on us.  You're starting to sound as optimistic and sugary as I do. 

I agree with you, sh*t like this doesn't happen by accident.  These guys are meant to be doing this, and have been meant to be doing it for 50 years now.  I'm glad they got their mojo back. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »

Jay, good post.  You think Carl missed this reunion, though?  He wouldn't miss it for the world, his presence looms heavily IMHO.  If you listen close, you can almost hear him. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »

I would have been happy seeing Al reunited with Mike and Bruce for the Regan birthday concert. But we ended up with a multi disc Smile set, a reunion tour with Brian, Al and Dave, and a new album with new music that's actually good. I keep expecting to wake up from this weird year long dream.

The events of the last few months have made me really miss Carl. I wish Dennis were here too of course, but I think I might miss Carl more because I actually grew up with him being part of the band. This year was a miracle, don't get me wrong. A year or two ago the chances of all this happening would have been slim to the extreme. To know that Carl isn't here to see that the group is finally together again as friends and giving the group the ending that they deserve, is somehow unfair and cruel. It really sucks to think about the last decade of the group's existance with Carl. So many things went wrong then, and so many things are going right this time. Does any of this make sense? I know I seem like I'm bitching about this. Don't get me wrong...this has been a wonderful time to be a fan, and not something to be taken for granted.

I know what you mean. It just makes you look at the 80s through the 90s and shake your head. Beach Boys 85 should not have been Carl's last full studio record with Brian. Everyone's egos should not have gotten the better of them -- what is Summer in Paradise, after all, but Mike Love throwing a bit of a tantrum? Brian didn't help matters -- ignoring the fact that he hadn't earned anyone's trust during the Landy debacle, he acted pretty childish himself during the mid-90s negotiations for an album. So it just became easier for everyone to do nothing, and we lost the chance for the big mid-'90s comeback record.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 11:01:29 PM »

As much as I've liked Brian's solo albums, I've always wished the Beach Boys could still exist and those would be Beach Boys records (obviously including contributions from the other guys). I really wasn't sure if they'd ever be able to put their differences aside and just give it another go. So yes, this (and everything else you said) is indeed a gift ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 11:10:56 PM »

I know what you mean. It just makes you look at the 80s through the 90s and shake your head. Beach Boys 85 should not have been Carl's last full studio record with Brian. Everyone's egos should not have gotten the better of them -- what is Summer in Paradise, after all, but Mike Love throwing a bit of a tantrum? Brian didn't help matters -- ignoring the fact that he hadn't earned anyone's trust during the Landy debacle, he acted pretty childish himself during the mid-90s negotiations for an album. So it just became easier for everyone to do nothing, and we lost the chance for the big mid-'90s comeback record.
Carl fought his whole life for the group. Through his own personal problems, Dennis, and then Landy's brainwashing of Brian. To know what Carl died of and to think of his last six months or so...it's just pouring salt on an already serious wound. I just wish he could have witnessed his brother's recovery, spiritually and mentally, but also as a solo artist with a fairly successful and happy career. But I guess Ron is right. Carl is with them every night, through the music.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 11:20:58 PM »

Hey, where was everybody a year or two ago when I was almost single-handedly posting about the possibilities of a legitimate reunion (with Brian, Al, AND David), a tour, and a new studio album. Everybody had reasons why it wouldn't work. I knew it would. police
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 11:28:40 PM »

Hey, where was everybody a year or two ago when I was almost single-handedly posting about the possibilities of a legitimate reunion (with Brian, Al, AND David), a tour, and a new studio album. Everybody had reasons why it wouldn't work. I knew it would. police
Yeah, you were the anti-Phil Cohen(board in joke).  Evil

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 11:31:30 PM »

Yeah, you were the anti-Phil Cohen(board in joke).  Evil

I'll take that as a compliment! Grin
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 11:44:19 PM »

I didn't believe enough in the possibility of human grace.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 12:43:32 AM »

I always hoped for this, but never thought it'd be THIS good. It's like all the cheesiness of the group in my lifetime has been stripped away...they've successfully repositioned themselves as a classy band of veterans as opposed to a band of elderly men doing oldies. And, really, David being a part of this makes it that much more special.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 01:03:13 AM »

Couldn't have put it better Billy. I mean hearing Brian do God Only Knows so much better than he could in 2001, 1991 or 1981 is well amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 02:08:34 AM »

Grin

It did hit me yesterday, just out of nowhere, when I finally fixed my turntable and was like 'Man, the new Beach Boys album would sound great on this'..... WE'RE GETTING A NEW BEACH BOYS RECORD!!!

It's truly an amazing time to be a fan - I remember when I first got into the band the prevalent discourse was 'Well, now Carl's gone the band is over, Brian hates the group so get used to his solo records, and you'd never see the 60's Smile recordings released in Brian's lifetime'.

And look at this past year!! Amazing. Roll on June 5th.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 02:40:44 AM »

June 5th needs to hurry up and get hear! Come on June 5th!!!!!! You're late for the party!!!!!!

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
MBE
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 03:37:24 AM »

Grin

It did hit me yesterday, just out of nowhere, when I finally fixed my turntable and was like 'Man, the new Beach Boys album would sound great on this'..... WE'RE GETTING A NEW BEACH BOYS RECORD!!!

It's truly an amazing time to be a fan - I remember when I first got into the band the prevalent discourse was 'Well, now Carl's gone the band is over, Brian hates the group so get used to his solo records, and you'd never see the 60's Smile recordings released in Brian's lifetime'.

And look at this past year!! Amazing. Roll on June 5th.
It's the best time to be a fan since the box set tour. I'm very proud of them. It will be great to play a new Beach Boys record. I can't belive some of the posts by Brian's "friends" (online not here) that don't give this a chance or try to see past their tunnel Brianasta vision. Long live the Beach Boys. This is the first time since Murry died (or at least the Beachago tour) that they are all really trying to be seen as artists not simply a travelling oldies review. This is what it should have always been.
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 03:52:38 AM »

Fantastic post and thread. Important to remember how amazing this. I'm going to stop even thinking about any of the very minor bits and focus on the positivity and sheet joy of the reunion.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »

Going a bit deeper into the rabbit hole, there is the fact that we have gotten, over the past few years...

- A 2010 solo album from Brian
- A 2011 solo album from Brian
- 2011 Smile Sessions Box
- Solo album from Al
- 2012 Beach Boys album, written and produced by Brian
- 2012 Tour

Compare this to, say, the period from 2001-2003, or the mid-1990s. Great time to be a fan, indeed.

- B00ts
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 08:46:22 AM »

But...but...autotune...

Just kidding! (Dodges already-lobbed tomatoes...)

(Yes, I like the new stuff. Especially the first and last songs, and the single.)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 08:48:15 AM »

i gotta give kudos to you old fans, i've only really been an invested fan since 2008 or so.  I've had it pretty good  Grin
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 08:56:42 AM »

And aren't you glad that there's a song on this album called 'Beaches In Mind' despite all our trepidation? It's just so fitting. They're the frakkin' Beach Boys! They HAVE to do a beach song.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 09:10:18 AM »

I woke up this morning with the chorus to Spring Vacation in my head and I realized that I actually LIKE this song. So yeah.  LOL
RCTID
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »

I woke up this morning with the chorus to Spring Vacation in my head and I realized that I actually LIKE this song. So yeah.  LOL

this is what i've been going through! ever since i listened to that preview of the track it's been stuck in my head.

"you've got the beach boys...your firms got the stones"
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx