gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681074 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 21, 2024, 06:52:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 3: New Orleans Jazz Fest- New Orleans, LA 4/27/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 55303 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2012, 11:21:42 PM »

Really don't understand all the "Blondie's playing today" nonsense, seeing as he denied it on his own website many weeks ago.

If by "all the," you mean "one post" then yeah. Somebody on this board posted a link to the Hoffman board:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=12200.0

Sounded like he would be in attendance for this one show, but it had been awhile since the thread was posted and I hadn't realized it was an unsubstantiated rumor. BIG FUCKIN DEAL, I NO RITE?

No mas, por favor.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2012, 11:49:26 PM »

Nah, that was some dude called Blondie Chapman.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2012, 12:07:55 AM »

Hey, really good review, Mammy Blue!  Thanks for that!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2012, 12:58:00 AM »

brian looks like Beethoven, old music genius, odd.  

Yes.   In a way, he looks like sh*t.  However, he looks SO MUCH like those early photos you always see of an almost sleepy looking Brian looking into the camera in the studio or something.  He always has this look like he's far away. 

He's an incredibly fascinating person imho. 

Do you guys see it?  It's the exact same thought, expression, face, soul. 
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2012, 02:27:04 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDwgLO8GN_s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4yer-M1c50&feature=

Sorry if they have been posted before.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 02:34:00 AM by ThePiedPiper » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2012, 02:54:41 AM »

Brian almost always looks disinterested even when surrounded by his band who has performed heaps of shows with, this it not a new thing people!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2012, 03:33:52 AM »

Hmm... Not sure they were worth posting a first time! Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2012, 04:13:14 AM »

One weird effect of the Fest seating is that most of the big fans ended up at a bit of a distance from the band, because the area immediately in front of the stage is cordoned off for the people who pay for the super expensive ticket package, which is for the whole Fest, not just that particular show. Mike has a pretty canny sense of his audience and I think he figured this out early on. Those of us in the front of the main area who were hardcore fans were separated by a group of mostly casual jewelry rattlers. This was especially evident when less well known numbers were performed. Mike looked back at our area quite a bit as a result and made a lot of eye contact with us, which was cool.

BTW, I find all the beach balls to be distracting! I kept getting hit in the head while trying to focus on the music.  LOL
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:16:02 AM by mammy blue » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2012, 05:22:11 AM »

Thanks for the pics, reviews and setlist ! So this was the way a open-air setlist will look like. They'll play in a hall in Berlin so I hope to see some more deep cuts and the videos of Dennis and Carl.

I think it's good they played those other two shows before Jazz Fest because if this would've been the first show we all would be critisizing them for not doing Forever or something which would lead a bad taste for the first concert

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2012, 05:35:08 AM »

Thanks for the pics, reviews and setlist ! So this was the way a open-air setlist will look like. They'll play in a hall in Berlin so I hope to see some more deep cuts and the videos of Dennis and Carl.

I think it's good they played those other two shows before Jazz Fest because if this would've been the first show we all would be critisizing them for not doing Forever or something which would lead a bad taste for the first concert
I'm almost certain we'll "see" Denny & Carl in Berlin. After all, the "God Only Knows" and "Forever" video performances are an essential part of the reunion tour. They obviously just dropped it in consideration of the festival folk.
(But I must say I'd like to see a slideshow with more than just a few photos which loop in an interval of maybe a minute (see recent YT videos). Can't be hard to add a few extra pictures, maybe even some rare/unseen ones. But I admit, I'm nitpicking here.)

As for the possibility of more "deep cuts" at the Berlin gig: I'd expect that when they're playing the capitol city of a major European country. There will be lots of folks coming from all over Europe, and those in most cases will be actual fanatics (not just the casual fan / summer concert attendee). I mean, look at you guys.  Grin I'm sure there'll be some musical goodies in Berlin.

Still three months to go, though....  Undecided
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:36:02 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2012, 05:53:15 AM »

"Love and Wilson, especially, appeared disengaged. Their armada of backing musicians and singers clearly carried the weight, propping up the trademark close harmonies and filling in key guitar and keyboard parts."

No disengagement from Mike. He was into it all the time. Brian has seem disengaged most of his touring life, though, but yesterday I came to the conlusion that he's enjoying this in his own way: proudly watching his group perform his music, absorbing the beauty of it all, receiving the love of all those present and singing/playing whenever he feels like it.

As for the army of backing musicians carrying the load, that's what reiewers will say when when you have such a large band. But believe me: the bulk of the singing is the main guys'.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2012, 06:07:08 AM »

This from a couple of night ago but.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20tDLOkNP6g
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2012, 06:18:04 AM »

man that's annoying, sounds like al is singing it well.  Jeff can double brian on a song like that, but al sounds fine without it.  Anyway, i'm gonna be losing my sh*t during this song
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2012, 06:19:11 AM »

Sorry if these are repeats

Disney Girls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWXVtOckS2I&feature=relmfu

Forever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6j_WeO4BJw&feature=relmfu

Part Of Do It Again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxLA3h9HFtg&feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 06:21:01 AM by baseball95 » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2012, 06:42:30 AM »

OK y'all, I'm back home from the Fest. Here are my comments.

Surfer Girl - as Brian sang the bridge Mike started dancing with some woman... kinda cheezy and distracting

That was Mike's wife. In fact, I saw Al's wife backstage also. And I'm sure all the wives are around for the tour (don't know about Bruce's though)... Now THAT'S a possible timebomb for the reunion!!  Grin

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2012, 06:53:01 AM »

And I'm sure all the wives are around for the tour (don't know about Bruce's though)... Now THAT'S a possible timebomb for the reunion!!  Grin
Yeah. Because, inevitably, at some point Brian will lose interest in the Beach Boys and start producing something for the wives, again.  Grin => "American Fall".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2012, 06:55:38 AM »

"Love and Wilson, especially, appeared disengaged. Their armada of backing musicians and singers clearly carried the weight, propping up the trademark close harmonies and filling in key guitar and keyboard parts."

No disengagement from Mike. He was into it all the time. Brian has seem disengaged most of his touring life, though, but yesterday I came to the conlusion that he's enjoying this in his own way: proudly watching his group perform his music, absorbing the beauty of it all, receiving the love of all those present and singing/playing whenever he feels like it.

As for the army of backing musicians carrying the load, that's what reiewers will say when when you have such a large band. But believe me: the bulk of the singing is the main guys'.

Appearing "disengaged" does not mean that you are.  I think of all those kids I had in school who would stare out the window (I was one of those as well.) and knew they were just "somewhere else" and often in a "zone of creativity."  I have been at "Brian shows" at one of those "table against the stage" venues where Brian would gaze out over the sea of faces, and then watch certain fans, almost singing along with them.  I don't think that his gazing out meant that he was "on disconnect" but that he was just processing the experience in a different manner.

And, I could no more constantly "call kids out," as inattentive, constantly, although with kids you need to give them some space and "redirect them" back on task, while not breaking whatever creative or other thing was going on. Something else has their attention.  

People have minds that are constantly filtering information.  And, I completely disagree with this "deer in the headlights" theory.  Brian is a big boy who doesn't need fans to interpret what is going on in his head.  Extremely creative and gifted people often appear to be off-the-track when it is really that they on-the-track, in another direction, processing some other type of information.  It is Brian's "off-the-track" thinking which has gifted us all with his greatness.  Not the lock-step expectations of the rest of the world.  

Not unlike Mike, he will often watch certain fans, to observe whether they "know the words" or are just at a show to "party."   Wink

Brian Wilson is not asleep.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2012, 06:57:39 AM »

Brian Wilson is not asleep.
That'd make an awesome t-shirt.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2012, 07:00:05 AM »

Great ! Thank you !

How about putting them in the threads for each concert? That would be good.
Thanks again

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2012, 08:01:34 AM »

Two more things:
Cowsill is the best possible drummer for the BBs since Dennis.

I see they're singin Surfin USA in its original key (Eb) instead of the usual E. This band can afford it.
Now please rise 409 from G to Ab like the original. It'll rock more, and the lead will sound better!

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2012, 08:19:32 AM »

Two more things:

I see they're singin Surfin USA in its original key (Eb) instead of the usual E. This band can afford it.
Now please rise 409 from G to Ab like the original. It'll rock more, and the lead will sound better!

Err - dont agree that Cow-swill is the best drummer for the BBs since Dennis - think Mike D'Amico should have got the job and neither match Todd Suchermann who IMHO has done the best job for the BBs/BW

Although you may have meant BBs only and not BW shows

Cheers

Richard
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2012, 08:46:20 AM »

That review reads like it was written before the concert. Mike was so completely engaged that it renders it laughable.

As we know, the supplemented band is designed to reproduce, for many of the songs, epic studio productions that were recorded by the Wrecking Crew to begin with. This guy just doesn't get it. The core band still sang almost everything and did the guitar solos.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »

Two more things:

Agreed on John Cowsill!  And, he can sing. 

Cowsill and Bragg are an incomparable duo. 

Nelson was fantastic with SMiLE and subsequent TLOS and any other shows I've seen with Brian's band. 
Nelson brought the studio effects to the stage. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2012, 09:28:05 AM »

Damn.  Bruce's falsetto is still spot on.  Very nice. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »

I'm almost certain we'll "see" Denny & Carl in Berlin. After all, the "God Only Knows" and "Forever" video performances are an essential part of the reunion tour. They obviously just dropped it in consideration of the festival folk.
(But I must say I'd like to see a slideshow with more than just a few photos which loop in an interval of maybe a minute (see recent YT videos). Can't be hard to add a few extra pictures, maybe even some rare/unseen ones. But I admit, I'm nitpicking here.)

As for the possibility of more "deep cuts" at the Berlin gig: I'd expect that when they're playing the capitol city of a major European country. There will be lots of folks coming from all over Europe, and those in most cases will be actual fanatics (not just the casual fan / summer concert attendee). I mean, look at you guys.  Grin I'm sure there'll be some musical goodies in Berlin.

Still three months to go, though....  Undecided

I hope you're right. I only remember that Bruce told me on BeachBoysBritain (granted, that was when Adrin Baker was still with them) that german audiences only wanted to hear the Barbara Ann's

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx