gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680918 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 03:37:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Now that the setlist looks locked...  (Read 7750 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »

In addition to "Disney Girls", which is considered a deep cut, I guess.  Well, it's understood thay can't make EVERYBODY happy and they only have so much time and energy for these shows. Maybe they'll swich a few during the tour. I'm pretty happy with those songs.

OK Surf's Up and Marcella are still MIA. Swap Little Honda and/or Cottonfields or Then I kissed her for those and sandals will be dancin' at my feet.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 11:49:39 AM »

By suggesting "Marcella" (and "Add Some Music" and "Surf's Up")  I'm not being unrealistic at all!  Brian's band did those songs many times on tour. You don't see the Mike & Bruce band do those.  Just goes to show that Mike's band is a travelling jukebox and Brian's band plays the more artsy fartsy good album cuts stuff. I'm not really surprised - Mike and Totten and/or Bruce probably are the ones that don't want to do them.

That's odd, because the last time I saw the two bands in the same year (2008), I have a distinct memory of Brian doing a lazy, half-arsed run through the hits, while Mike, Bruce and David did Forever, Sail On Sailor, Kiss Me Baby, Good Timin', All This Is That, Til I Die, Good To My Baby, Warmth Of The Sun, Let Him Run Wild, Still Cruisin', Here Today, You Still Believe In Me, Cool Head Warm Heart, Everyone's In Love With You and Disney Girls.

But you must be right. Mike and Scott Totten and Bruce must hate doing anything other than the most obvious hits, and Mike's band must be a touring jukebox. This setlist - http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/6-28-08.html must be the one that's packed with arty tracks from all eras of the band's career, while this one - http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/4-12-08.html must be the one that's just a joyless trudge through the hits, and you can safely put any setlist choices that don't meet with your personal approval down to one group of people you don't know, rather than to another group of people you don't know, on the basis of your accurate knowledge of their preferences.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »

Just personal preferences, Andy boy, that's all it is!! Don't get all hot under the collar, bloke, I much prefer Brian's band over Mike & Bruce's any day o' the week, K?  Mike and Bruce like doing all the hits with Cool Head & Warm Heart while Brian does the entire Pet Sounds and Smile albums with the hits and other album cuts mixed in. And if it weren't for Totten, they wouldn't even do as many album cuts as they do!!

I will give ya this though, when I found out what Brian was doing in a recent our, I didn't even show up to one of his shows! I think I missed out on another tour too when I found out he was taking it easy and the emphasis was on the greatest hits.

I ain't bitchin' about anything here, so no need to ride my ass for stating my preferences, eh? I'm VERY much looking forward to seeing this band in June and I'm sure I'll get my money's worth!  Grin

Lesse, Al's singing "Cottonfields" and "Then I Kissed Her" on this tour. Those singles went high on the charts in the UK, but didn't do merda here in the U.S., did they?  Yeah, it must be our lousy tastes in music, huh??
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:46:55 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Paulos
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »

Wanker is probably a bit more common, and funnier, than tosser. Carry on.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 12:19:38 PM »

This guy's somethin'.  Stating preferences in his world ain't allowed, I guess. This whole board is about opinions and speculation the last time I checked.  I'm 100% for facts too, but what the hell? Even AGD doesn't give me crap like this.  Like I don't know shiiit from shinola about the Beach Boys and the two (actually 3) bands and their setlists that have been touring for years.....

Maybe he's looking for somebody to fight with on the board today. Thinks I'm one of the kiddies here. I'm the wrong guy.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:43:40 PM by Mikie » Logged

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »

Just personal preferences, Andy boy, that's all it is!! Don't get all hot under the collar, blokie, I much prefer Brian's band over Mike & Bruce's any day o' the week, K buddy?  Mike and Bruce like doing all the hits with Cool Head & Warm Heart while Brian does the entire Pet Sounds and Smile albums with the hits mixed in. And if it weren't for Totten, they wouldn't even do as many album cuts as they do!!

I will give ya this though, when I found out what Brian was doing in a recent our, I didn't even show up to one of his shows! I think I missed out on another tour too when I found out he was taking it easy and the emphasis was on the greatest hits.

I ain't bitchin' about anything here, Tosser, (or is it "wanker?") so no need to ride my ass for stating my preferences, eh? I'm VERY much looking forward to seeing this band in June and I'm sure I'll get my money's worth!  Grin

Brian *did* do the full Pet Sounds and Smile albums, eight years ago. And I'm not saying anything about your preferences, I'm talking about the simple *fact* that Brian's tours recently have had a near-indistinguishable setlist from Mike & Bruce's, and that Mike & Bruce have done sets with more obscurities than Brian in the last few years, as well as their sets being longer.

And as for "And if it weren't for Totten, they wouldn't even do as many album cuts as they do!", this would be the same Scott Totten you said was one of the ones who *doesn't* want to do album cuts?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »

Well, who is there in the current line-up from the Mike & Bruce band? Mike, Bruce, Totten, and Cowsill.  I threw Totten's name in there maybe by mistake because he would probably be the least likely to object to the artsy fartsy stuff.  Out of the 4, he would probably be the one that's more supportive of it. But who knows, maybe not in this case. Maybe he's interested in a balance of hits and album cuts, or wasn't asked for his opinion at all, I don't know. 'Cause I don't know anything, obviously! Maybe they think they have enough 'deep tracks', I dunno.

I'm a happy guy right now. I got no complaints. Just suggestions, that's all.  Please forgive me, Andy.

Rick Nelson once said, "You can't please everyone so you..........got to please yourself".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:56:39 PM by Mikie » Logged

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »

I'm quite pleased with the setlist, but hope they add more, enough to make 50 songs per show!  50 songs, 50 years, 50 big ones!  I was kinda hoping that each album would be represented, but currently there is nothing from Wild Honey, Love You, MIU, LA, KTSA, 85, or SIP.  I'm surprised that California Saga is not on the setlist, I heard that mentioned a couple times.

My wish list:'
Surf's Up
Keepin The Summer Alive
It's About Time
Darlin
It's OK
Good Timin
Still Cruisin
Summer In Paradise
Soulful Old Man Sunshine
SG7
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 04:21:13 PM »

Is it weird I am kind of hoping Getcha Back is in there? I always did kind of like that song.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 04:30:19 PM »

I'm talking about the simple *fact* that Brian's tours recently have had a near-indistinguishable setlist from Mike & Bruce's, and that Mike & Bruce have done sets with more obscurities than Brian in the last few years, as well as their sets being longer.

Not sure about "near-indistinguishable." It's unfair to compare Mike and Bruce's EU shows with a BW summer U.S. hits jaunt in any event. The gap between the two troupes in terms of rare material has certainly narrowed, though. I'll grant you that.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »

Is it weird I am kind of hoping Getcha Back is in there? I always did kind of like that song.
I'd love to hear Getcha Back return to the list...I'm supposing that it was dropped because Christian Love had been doing the lead, but I've heard Mike do the lead, and he does just fine.
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »

I hope that by (or for) the Hollywood Bowl, they trim down the early-60's material a bit and make room for more cuts from Pet Sounds, SMiLE, and later.

Any of these would be very welcome by me:

You Still Believe in Me
Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Caroline, No

Prayer
Do You Like Worms
Wonderful
Windchimes
Surf's Up
Cabin Essence

Darlin'
Country Air
Let The Wind Blow

Time to Get Alone
I Can Hear Music

All I Wanna Do [I'd lose it for this one!]

Maybe my selections sound a little too mellow/sad for a 50th Celebration, but for me, when I celebrate the Beach Boys (every day), that's a big part of what I'm celebrating.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 04:50:16 PM »

I'll see the show at the Red Rock Resort here in Las Vegas one month from today.  Early 62nd birthday from my wife. Hoping for I Can Hear Music, Darlin', Add Some Music, California (Monterey), and that things like Cottonfields and Sail On Sailor are kept in. Maybe another Pet Sounds song or two. Salt Lake City would be a nice one. Surf's Up would be grand, but as some have pointed out, it takes a spot-on performance. I love 409, one of my favorites for almost 40 years but the short clip of it that showed up someplace was not encouraging - somebody was way off tune or maybe it was just the way it was picked up.  If they drop California Dreamin' or You're So Good to Me, I'll not be the one complaining. Actually, I won't be the one complaining anyway, because it's THE BEACH BOYS. I'm going to go to the concert, enjoy it, take home more memories to last a lifetime, and thank God (and my wife) I got to actually see it.
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2012, 05:07:39 PM »

"Friends" would be a perfect song for this tour.
JesusUK
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 05:10:55 PM »

Eh, I'm not budging....over the two shows (mind you: only TWO SHOWS have happened)! we got: "All This Is That" "This Whole World" "Sail On Sailor" "Then I Kissed Her" "You're So Good To Me" "Don't Back Down"  "Cotton Fields" and "Forever."  Substantial deep cuts.  So at this point, we're just really pullling the two year old "Well, I want another cookie!!" fit.   The band will never completely satisfy ALL their fans--especially on the occasion of their 50th anniversary Reunion tour when the primary focus is simply that these guys are even sharing one stage TOGETHER.   To me, that the was the biggest mountain to climb.  The songs (whatever they play) are a bonus for me, at this point.  But that's just me!
[/quote]

I don't think people are pulling a fit.  I think it's more a healthy conversation of songs we would add to the setlist, if we had that power.  It doesn't always have to be an argument.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 05:12:49 PM »

I'm talking about the simple *fact* that Brian's tours recently have had a near-indistinguishable setlist from Mike & Bruce's, and that Mike & Bruce have done sets with more obscurities than Brian in the last few years, as well as their sets being longer.

Not sure about "near-indistinguishable." It's unfair to compare Mike and Bruce's EU shows with a BW summer U.S. hits jaunt in any event. The gap between the two troupes in terms of rare material has certainly narrowed, though. I'll grant you that.

But I'm not comparing EU and US shows. I'm specifically comparing two shows I saw a couple of months apart, both in the same country, both in indoor, seated venues (Brian at the Albert Hall, Mike & Bruce at the Manchester Apollo). Brian's set was shorter, had fewer obscure tracks or album tracks, and had more noticeable mistakes in it.

And last year the setlist for the non-Gershwin portion of Brian's show was nearly identical to the outdoor hits show I saw Mike & Bruce do around the same time -- the only songs Brian did (other than the Gershwin covers) that Mike & Bruce didn't do were All Summer Long, Breakaway, Pet Sounds, Your Imagination, Johnny B Goode and Love And Mercy. That's a summer song I'm amazed Mike & Bruce don't do, a song that was a massive hit in the UK, a single rare album track, a cover and two solo singles. Hardly the 'arty-farty album tracks' that were being talked of.

There used to be a *huge* difference between the two bands' repertoires -- I remember seeing Brian in June 2002 when he was doing stuff from Friends, Love You, Smile, Sunflower and so on in the first half of the show -- but from about 2004 there seems to have been a conscious decision to remove almost all the post-1966 material from Brian's sets, while at the same time Mike's band became increasingly likely to vary their sets, at least when playing to theatre-type audiences. These days, if I went to see the two bands in the same venue, I would actually expect a more varied set from Mike's band than from Brian's.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 06:17:42 PM »

I'm real surprised that Darlin' isn't part of the current setlist. It's been a staple for years in all three bands. I know that nobody can beat Carl's versions, but I heard Cowsill do it recently and thought he did a great job.

Others I'd like to see back in the set. Maybe they will be during the tour:   **

Marcella (Scott Bennett plays a mean solo on this)
Surf's Up
California Saga
Breakaway
I Can Hear Music
Getcha Back
Add Some Music To Your Day
Wild Honey (Guest appearance by Blondie)

** My wishlist only. Don't go Tard on me!

NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 06:34:20 PM »

"I love 409, one of my favorites for almost 40 years".  Check that - make it 50 years.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2012, 07:02:02 PM »

But from about 2004 there seems to have been a conscious decision to remove almost all the post-1966 material from Brian's sets.

Yeah, it looks like it.  For example here's some post '66 Beach Boys songs that Brian and his band did from 2005 to 2009:

Breakaway
Add Some Music To Your Day
Sail On Sailor
Marcella
You’re Welcome
Do It Again
California Saga
I’d Love Just Once to See You
Darlin'
Forever
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 07:16:04 PM by Mikie » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »

I think this is a more impressive setlist, overall, than any Brian show I have seen, or the current show setlists:

Edinburgh Playhouse, Edinburgh, Scotland
May 15, 2008

SETLIST

1. Do It Again
2. Don’t Back Down
3. Catch A Wave
4. Hawaii
5. Little Honda
6. Surf City
7. Surfin’ Safari
8. Surfin USA
9. Surfer Girl
10. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
11. Why Do Fools Fall In Love
12. Good Timin'
13. Good To My Baby
14. You’re So Good To Me
15. Forever
16. Darlin’
17. The Warmth Of The Sun
18. Wendy
19. Kiss Me Baby
20. Let Him Run Wild
21. Please Let Me Wonder
22. Then I Kissed Her
23. I Can Hear Music
24. Ballad Of Ole' Betsy
25. Still Cruisin'
26. Don’t Worry Baby
27. Little Deuce Coupe
28. 409
29. Shut Down
30. I Get Around
-Intermission-
31. Sloop John B
32. California Dreamin'
33. God Only Knows
34. Sail On Sailor
35. You Still Believe In Me
36. Here Today
37. Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
38. In My Room
39. Cool Head, Warm Heart
40. Everyone’s In Love With You
41. All This Is That
42. 'Til I Die
43. Disney Girls
44. Kokomo
45. Cottonfields
46. California Girls
47. Dance Dance Dance
48. Help Me Rhonda
49. Rock & Roll Music
50. Do You Wanna Dance
51. Barbara Ann
52. Wouldn’t It Be Nice

ENCORE:
53. Good Vibrations
54. Fun Fun Fun

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 07:12:26 PM »

What about this?  A less rocking show, but probably the best setlist BW ever had.

Brian Wilson
Brighton Centre, Brighton, England
June 5, 2002

Set 1:
1. Wonderful
2. Cabinessence
3. Sail On Sailor
4. Meant For You
5. Friends
6. Dance Dance Dance
7. California Girls
8. Don't Worry Baby
9. The Warmth Of The Sun
10. Good Timin'
11. Forever
12. Your Imagination
13. The Night Was So Young
14. Busy Doin' Nothing
15. Darlin'
16. Melt Away
17. Our Prayer
18. Heroes And Villians (Cantina Version)
19. Surf's Up
20. Marcella
21. Do It Again

Set 2:
22. Wouldn't It Be Nice
23. You Still Believe In Me
24. That's Not Me
25. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
26. I'm Waiting For The Day
27. Let's Go Away For Awhile
28. Sloop John B
29. God Only Knows
30. Hang On To Your Ego
31. Here Today
32. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
33. Pet Sounds
34. Caroline No
35. Good Vibrations

Encore 1:
36. Surfer Girl
37. Help Me Rhonda
38. I Get Around
39. Barbara Ann
40. Surfin' USA
41. Fun Fun Fun

Encore 2:
42. Love & Mercy
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »

Great setlist, but other than Smile, I could do without nearly a full set devoted to one album. I would have rather had five from that album, and eight other songs from other records. But I am not a particular fan of bands/artists playing full albums in concert.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 07:17:20 PM »

Holy F*ck. That set... "THAT'S LIKE A "SCREW THE CASUALS, THIS IS FOR THE FANS!" Set!

I WANT. HAHA!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2012, 07:17:55 PM »

My god, that's my hometown. WHY WAS I NOT THERE.

(probably because I was 11....)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »

My god, that's my hometown. WHY WAS I NOT THERE.

(probably because I was 11....)

sh*t. I feel old now. (I was twentysomething.)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx