gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681238 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4080 Members - Latest Member: endoftheshow May 30, 2024, 04:51:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: iconfetch.com M. Linett interview (part 1) up  (Read 11935 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2011, 06:07:46 AM »

http://www.iconfetch.com/great-music-interviews/2011-shows/406-mark-linett-beach-boys-smile-interview.html
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 06:18:12 AM »

No soundcard until later today.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 06:30:36 AM »

Brilliant interview - thanks - some key points

1. Brian made the changes to TSS as compared to BWPS

2. No indication of three sided album in 67

3. Stuff would not have been included in 67 because of this

4. "Really is three sides not four"

5. Could easily have expanded to another CD or two

6. Around 75 sessions all represented in some way in the box

7. BWPS gave us something to work with

8. BW did finish the project in 2004 and is happy with it

9. TSS 10 times as complex compared to the PS box set

10. Complexity and technical limits of the day (67, 70s, 90s etc) probably helped stop it being finished - digital technology was key to completing this project

11. Originally a three CD set

12. Without five CDs there would have been vital stuff omitted

13. Seven hours of music

14. George Fell into his French horn included

15. Fans can keep doing their own mixes - "you can roll your own"

16. The "album" is BW's version

17. Part Two coming soon - clarifies VT and McCartney - clarifies how SU was put together for TSS

Cheers

Richard
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 06:48:50 AM »

Fantastic interview. Thanks for posting!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 06:53:16 AM »

Awesome, thanks for sharing this!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:13:56 AM »

Thanks for sharing that interview. I can't wait for part 2.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »

Fantastic, was hoping for something like this

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 08:14:59 AM »

This is brilliant - fantastic interview that clearly has its roots in the fan community while at the same time, creating a bit of distance from it. It reminds us that this is a release for the music public as well as the hard core fan (see various formats), and all of the pressures associated with that.

Naturally, they move from the idea that the 3-side mix is an 'estimation' of what Smile would have been to the angle that this is a reasonably 'complete' and accessible (just shy of 'definitive') mix of Smile as conceived by the artist. That's to be expected. But the 'roll your own' line is great.

Really looking forward to the next one, particularly the tidbits about SU.

A major tip of the hat to the interviewer, and especially to ML and AB for persevering and getting this project right, steering the format for over two decades.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 08:47:37 AM »

I'm doing an interview with iconfetch a week from today...and after reading some of Mark's interview I'm really looking forward to it.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 08:49:35 AM »

The Pet Sounds box was edited on analog tape? Huh Shocked

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 10:49:28 AM »

The Pet Sounds box was edited on analog tape? Huh Shocked

Imagine that!
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »

I was under the assumption that digital editing had been around for, what, 15 to 20 years at that point?  And what about all the syncing between vocal and instrumental tracks?  Maybe he meant that it was MASTERED on analog, but he did say edited, as unlikely as that sounds...maybe he meant PS was edited on analog, as opposed to the PS BOX.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »

Well, the PS box was assembled some 15 years ago ...
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 12:14:39 PM »

17. Part Two coming soon - clarifies VT and McCartney - clarifies how SU was put together for TSS

Hmm...

AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 12:17:56 PM »

Fascinating - seems like a good site.interesting interview - like he says, some of his answers throw up more questions
MORE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 12:46:04 PM »

Hmm...

That would be for Disc 1.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »

I would be interested in finding out from Mark if the newer technology today would make any difference in the outcome of the sonic quality of the discs in the Pet Sounds box. I mean, the re-issue of the mono and stereo and vocals only discs are already superb, but they were done in 1996 and I wonder if the 24 bit technology 15 years later in 2011 would make any difference to what are already great sounding CD's.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 09:25:12 PM »

I love the last part of interview... "now you can roll your own"...LOL hilarious!    Smokin  LOL
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »

Quote from: Jay
I wonder if the 24 bit technology 15 years later in 2011 would make any difference to what are already great sounding CD's.

I think he stated once that the library was backed up at 88.2KHz, 24-bit, but since all CD's are locked into 44.1Khz, 16-bit, it wouldn't make a difference. A download or DVD would be the only way technically you could improve upon them (assuming you had the ears + equipment to hear it).
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 11:33:19 PM »

I was under the assumption that digital editing had been around for, what, 15 to 20 years at that point?  And what about all the syncing between vocal and instrumental tracks?  Maybe he meant that it was MASTERED on analog, but he did say edited, as unlikely as that sounds...maybe he meant PS was edited on analog, as opposed to the PS BOX.

Yeah, I thought that comment was a bit bizarre as well.  Audio quality was obviously a priority in the production on the boxed set, and I have a hard time imagining them unnecessarily creating additional generations of tape in the process.  Also, syncing analog tapes of vocal and instrumental tracks would be a serious pain in the butt...
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 01:41:46 AM »

I love the last part of interview... "now you can roll your own"...LOL hilarious!    Smokin  LOL

I'll certainly be rolling my own when the box arrives, but unfortunately in the shed with a CD walkman
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 09:42:35 AM »

I'll certainly be rolling my own when the box arrives, but unfortunately in the shed with a CD walkman

haha that sounds just like my shed tbh!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »

Is anyone else having difficulty listening to this? It only wants to load a few seconds of it....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 11:39:57 AM »

No problem here...what I did was just click "Play," then paused it, then used the Firefox add-on "Download Helper" to download the whole thing. Dropped it into iTunes and loaded it up on the 'Pod for the commute home. Smiley

BTW, as for The Pet Sounds Sessions being done on analog tape...I need obviously to re-listen to that interview as I don't remember hearing that at all! I seriously doubt it was done analog, considering how digital editing had already been commonplace for years at the time, and I'm sure Mark would have just gone freakin' b@+$#!+ trying to manually sync up the 4-track instrumentals to the 7-track vocals...

***EDIT***
Wow...okay, so I listened again, and by gum, he DOES say he used razor-blade cut'n'splice editing on The Pet Sounds Sessions....or did I misinterpret it, or was it just that the editing on the final interview was off?  MARK LINETT, IF YOU'RE READING THIS AND CAN CHIME IN -- why did you have to use analog editing at a time when digital editing was already the norm?? Perspiring minds like mine wanna know!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:33:13 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 10:36:32 PM »

Successfully heard the Linett interview (part 2 Mon.) but can't access the Boyd interview, even after registering and logging in. Is it going directly to iTunes or something? Not a technophile....

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx