gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680988 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 09:57:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 250 251 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 259 260 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1741629 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6350 on: September 08, 2011, 08:25:55 AM »

The thread has slowed down considerably. Are we getting tired of the SMiLE hype? Cancel your orders while you still can. And convert that money into beer.

Personally I'm getting cold feet. Is Smile really all that good? I feel like I've been had by a giant hype machine Derek Taylor thought up back in 1967. Cancel Smile, create unstoppable myth that self-sustains itself through 40+ years of music history... genius.

Hehe. Yes, imagine: some self-perpetuating devilish magnetic force, or rather: the Black Hole of pop. If you come too close, you get sucked in and never will be able to escape anymore.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6351 on: September 08, 2011, 08:27:16 AM »

Maybe that's what's going on, THD, but...I'm finding myself constantly coming back to this thread....it's like Barry Wom consulting the I Ching every three and a half minutes...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: September 08, 2011, 08:36:19 AM »

This thread is a bit like a bus - there isn't one for ages and then loads all come along at once

Cheers

Richard
shmenge7372
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: September 08, 2011, 09:56:21 AM »

How long do you think until previews of the Smile tracks are posted?  I went to http://www.thebeachboys.com in the hopes that there might be something new there but got stuck in an endless loop of the Smile splash page.  Are they updating the site...or just morons?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: September 08, 2011, 10:10:57 AM »

How long do you think until previews of the Smile tracks are posted?  I went to http://www.thebeachboys.com in the hopes that there might be something new there but got stuck in an endless loop of the Smile splash page.  Are they updating the site...or just morons?

Maybe the latter. Maybe an update -  last time I managed to get beyond the splash page, the old Warmth of the Sun imagery
greeted visitors.

The pre-order pages are both a mess, really -  slick looking, but a mess: incomplete track listings on the UK site, no mention of who's autographed which special packages on the US site… might as well hang a sign up saying "Go to You Local Dealer cos We're Not Professional Enough to Deserve Your Business".

“We live in divisive times.”
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: September 08, 2011, 10:51:40 AM »

The thread has slowed down considerably. Are we getting tired of the SMiLE hype? Cancel your orders while you still can. And convert that money into beer.

Personally I'm getting cold feet. Is Smile really all that good? I feel like I've been had by a giant hype machine Derek Taylor thought up back in 1967. Cancel Smile, create unstoppable myth that self-sustains itself through 40+ years of music history... genius.

As a lifetime Beatles fan AND a Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fan since 1996 (Imagination) I can say oh yea, oh verily brothers, SMiLE IS that good, and it's even better than you think!!

oh yea oh yea, verily brothers, place your hands on the Radio and prepare to have your minds blown!

Grin

P.S.  I am enjoying the SMiLE-mania.  I am learning a lot, and it's fun.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6356 on: September 08, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »

I am currently listening to a playlist I've made of the running order of Disc 1 using what I already have, and I have to say, it's kind of boring... unless there's more than a few new things on each track, I don't know.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: September 08, 2011, 12:26:21 PM »

I am currently listening to a playlist I've made of the running order of Disc 1 using what I already have, and I have to say, it's kind of boring... unless there's more than a few new things on each track, I don't know.

Mayhaps because you've heard a similar running order just shy of a billion times since 2004?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: September 08, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »

Each to their own. I did a similar palylist to the bwps one and
could listen to it forever, despite the high proportion of instrumental tracks. I just find all the music he recorded at this time compelling. Doesn't mean it'll get 5 stars in the music rags but I will love it and that's all that matters to me. The only thing that will be a disappointment for me will be glaringly artificial edits but I have faith that they'll do a good job.

When the tracklist info was released I felt like I was dreaming. If you're non plussed by all the smile hype that's your bag and you're welcome to it, but I'll be listening to this repeatedly for months and months.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: September 08, 2011, 12:28:26 PM »

I don't really care about the running order - as long as the existing tracks are mastered and a few goodies are peppered throughout, I'll be a happy man. If the new Heroes and Villains & GV are any sign of what is to come, I think we'll all be extremely happy come November 1 (Or October 31 for the lucky bastards across the pond Wink).

The new Heroes and Villains sounds incredible in mono - i've never heard this track sound so clear....ever!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6360 on: September 08, 2011, 01:02:24 PM »

Ah, that's a shame so much was not finished, especially the lyrics on Look. I was really hoping for that.

Do we know for certain that lyrics for Look were not written in 1966? Of course, it's possible the lost Oct. 1967 Look vocal session for wordless harmony vocals but I'd think it is just as possible the lads were singing something with words. I hope some light is cast on this in the Smile sessions booklet. Considering they sang on the track maybe Bruce, Al or Mike, not to mention, Brian remembers? It would be a shame if the question isn't asked.

Considering the name changed from Look to I Ran, it implies some kind of lyrical content had been designed for the song to go with a new title.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: September 08, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »

Isn't it a Dennis composition/production, done independently of BW? That's also the case with Carl's 'Tones'. I can't wait, really. Later in his career, he had a habit of giving songs slightly vague working titles - I think in the Carlin he says both Make It Good and  Cuddle Up were both known as 'Old Movie', because of what they sounded like, so 'I Don't Know' doesn't really suggest it's a throwaway.

Would this be the earliest Dennis composition released, then?

What about Denny's Drums?   Azn
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: September 08, 2011, 01:13:05 PM »

I wonder what Tones was for. I've heard it was production training. Too me it's always sounded Beatlesy. I also heard a version of Do You Like Worms on youtube that had a bunch of different sections mixed in, one of them being the guitar section of Tones, seemed to fit pretty well.

Also why was Holidays called Tones on boots? Just confusion?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Bill Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: September 08, 2011, 01:31:07 PM »

Isn't it a Dennis composition/production, done independently of BW? That's also the case with Carl's 'Tones'. I can't wait, really. Later in his career, he had a habit of giving songs slightly vague working titles - I think in the Carlin he says both Make It Good and  Cuddle Up were both known as 'Old Movie', because of what they sounded like, so 'I Don't Know' doesn't really suggest it's a throwaway.

Would this be the earliest Dennis composition released, then?

Alan Boyd, in reply to a question from me about 'I Don't Know' on this board about 18 months ago said that it was just a tracking session, no vocals. He didn't say what it sounded like. 'I Don't Know' was probably a working title and one he did use at least one more time (that I can recall). I would have thought that it was indeed Dennis's first known composition but we'll have to wait and see.

I guess I've got a way with girls
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6364 on: September 08, 2011, 01:33:16 PM »

What about Denny's Drums?   Azn

I wouldn't even count that as a Denny composition considering half of it is lifted from Adrian & The Sunsets' "Nothing But Drums Pt. 2."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: September 08, 2011, 01:41:41 PM »

Ah, that's a shame so much was not finished, especially the lyrics on Look. I was really hoping for that.

Do we know for certain that lyrics for Look were not written in 1966? Of course, it's possible the lost Oct. 1967 Look vocal session for wordless harmony vocals but I'd think it is just as possible the lads were singing something with words. I hope some light is cast on this in the Smile sessions booklet. Considering they sang on the track maybe Bruce, Al or Mike, not to mention, Brian remembers? It would be a shame if the question isn't asked.

Considering the name changed from Look to I Ran, it implies some kind of lyrical content had been designed for the song to go with a new title.

Excellent point, I hadn't thought of that.
Chris Moise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: September 08, 2011, 01:43:50 PM »

I wonder what Tones was for. I've heard it was production training..

I don't know, if it was some sort of production training they spent a lot of time on it. Tones was worked on for what, 4 sessions? I think it's another Smile era song that had lyrics that are now lost to history.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: September 08, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I just keep thinking (hoping, actually) that Disc 1 will contain some surprises that flesh things out a bit.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: September 08, 2011, 02:37:22 PM »

where is the proof that 'Tones' was written and produced by Carl and Carl alone?

the chord progression has clear ties to "Little Pad"... I would have loved to see "Hawaiian Song" and "Little Pad" included on TSS. even though they are from the Smiley sessions, Brian did include the Hawaiian theme in BWPS. he did not include "Cool Cool Water" which has been included in TSS.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: September 08, 2011, 03:03:37 PM »

where is the proof that 'Tones' was written and produced by Carl and Carl alone?

the chord progression has clear ties to "Little Pad"... I would have loved to see "Hawaiian Song" and "Little Pad" included on TSS. even though they are from the Smiley sessions, Brian did include the Hawaiian theme in BWPS. he did not include "Cool Cool Water" which has been included in TSS.

"Clear ties" is misleading. It sounds more like "Wake The World" than anything else, to me. It's coincidental, as is any supposed connections to "Little Pad". Also, I was hoping TSS would lead to a stereo Smiley Smile with outtakes, but ;(

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6370 on: September 08, 2011, 03:31:43 PM »

"Do It Again" has clear ties with "Underwater", but Brian didn't write that any more than he wrote "Sweet Little Sixteen".  Grin

Actually, to me "Tones" always sounded a lot like "Mona-Kani".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #6371 on: September 08, 2011, 04:14:38 PM »

"Do It Again" has clear ties with "Underwater", but Brian didn't write that any more than he wrote "Sweet Little Sixteen".  Grin

Actually, to me "Tones" always sounded a lot like "Mona-Kani".

You mean Mona Kanau?
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: September 08, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »

Finally bit the bullet, cancelled my 2 CD set on Amazon and got the one with the shirt on thebeachboys.com

The "only 300 made" did it for me lol.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: September 08, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »

Finally bit the bullet, cancelled my 2 CD set on Amazon and got the one with the shirt on thebeachboys.com

I just don't like the shirt.  Why not use the cover art?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: September 08, 2011, 05:54:26 PM »

I'd to that if the shirt wasn't so ugly  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 259 260 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx