gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 08:00:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 572529 times)
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1650 on: August 30, 2012, 01:57:19 AM »

As for the box set, until an official release date is set, and the contents are revealed, there's nothing to say. I'll buy the box set if it is released, but I won't be upset or broken up if it doesn't appear.

LOL, you have got to be kidding. I'll tell you, I'll be pretty upset if it doesn't come out, but it will though.

Just ignore him, this is almost exactly what he was saying last year for the Smile Session box.

Yeah, I know. And the US version of the remasters..  Afro

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1651 on: August 30, 2012, 07:07:29 AM »

As for the box set, until an official release date is set, and the contents are revealed, there's nothing to say. I'll buy the box set if it is released, but I won't be upset or broken up if it doesn't appear.

LOL, you have got to be kidding. I'll tell you, I'll be pretty upset if it doesn't come out, but it will though.

Yes, indeed it will.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: August 30, 2012, 08:13:33 AM »

also enjoying centipede hz whilst waiting to hear these new remasters is what I meant. Smiley was in place of a 'Like' button!
I was really hoping that you were confirming they had been ripped somewhere...
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: August 30, 2012, 09:30:32 AM »

also enjoying centipede hz whilst waiting to hear these new remasters is what I meant. Smiley was in place of a 'Like' button!
I was really hoping that you were confirming they had been ripped somewhere...

Sorry Kappa. I also fell foul of the site with the 8 'Japanese Remasters' available for download!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: August 30, 2012, 10:41:07 AM »

teh pain. These things'll be out in the states/UK before a rip of the Japanese editions appear.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: August 30, 2012, 10:47:37 AM »

That would be great!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: August 30, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »

That would be great!

Speak for yourself Cry

Are these still supposed to be mini LPs like the Japan releases? Or at least be fairly faithful to the original presentations?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:50:31 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: August 30, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »

It was way better when everyone heard new releases on the same day, bought at the store. But I'm sure many here don't even remember that.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: August 30, 2012, 10:56:03 AM »

Speak for yourself [2]

These days, we hear new releases on visual streams DJ'd by the band days before they're in shops. Much better than how things were in the 1830s.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: August 30, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »

Does anyone have Today? How does it sound?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: August 30, 2012, 10:59:55 AM »

It'll be even better when bands can send us a direct link seconds after the music is finished, right to the Facebook feed implanted in our temples.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: August 30, 2012, 11:01:29 AM »

It'll be even better when bands can send us a direct link seconds after the music is finished, right to the Facebook feed implanted in our temples.

Soundcloud and Google Glasses. Already exists.

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: August 30, 2012, 11:09:19 AM »

It was way better when everyone heard new releases on the same day, bought at the store. But I'm sure many here don't even remember that.

I actually agree, it was a lot more exciting that way! I still remember picking R.E.M.'s 'New Adventures in Hi-Fi" up in the store, bringing my discman to school everyday, enjoying the heck out of the album.
That being said, I do love Amazon Razz
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:11:00 AM by tansen » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: August 30, 2012, 11:11:13 AM »

Soundcloud and Google Glasses.

That was also my favorite Hanna-Barbera cartoon hour, back in the 70's.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: August 30, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »

Does anyone have Today? How does it sound?

The mono version is pretty good. The stereo remixes are hit and miss. In The Back Of My Mind is great 'cuz it has the single vocal and non-faded ending.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: August 30, 2012, 12:52:59 PM »

In the Future, Music will be delivered via magic ear drops.  One drop will let you experience in 5 seconds an entire box set.  You will instantly have all the memories of the music, automatically, leaving more time to post on message boards......

Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: August 30, 2012, 01:12:21 PM »

I don't want to fall prey to overly romantic nostalgia about "the way things used to be" and I do think there is some rose-colored glasses business going on when looking back, and yet it does seem difficult to make a case for getting leaks or even official streams before a release date being better than "back in the day."

I think we're still talking about different relationships with music and the extra-musical things surrounding the distribution thereof. 

I understand the excitement of wanting to hear something new, or something old in a new way.  We hope that we can recreate the same emotional reaction, the same feeling, the same thought--whatever it was that attracted us to the music in the first place.

But the instant gratification not only signifies that, on some intrinsic level, the person seeking it does not truly value the music, but also takes much of the potential enjoyment out of the experience.

I hate to make this at all sexual, but I'm going to.  Getting a leak or something before a release date is like being able to press a button and instantly feel, well, a sexual "release date." 

I remember anticipating release dates with a sort of excited nausea, terrified and excited of the prospects of what's on this new record.  And then getting the thing itself, smelling it, becoming intoxicated by the fumes of shrink-wrap plastic and glossy paper, taking the CD out of the case and seeing my stupid, ugly reflection in the shiny surface, but not caring because I'm about to leave all that behind.

And then, at college, I remember when a highly anticipated album would come out--that night (in my circles, at least) you knew that there were people gathered in dorm rooms, listening together.  You'd run into them at the record store, in line, with the same record.  And then the next day, we'd emerge, all on the same footing, our lives changed.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: August 30, 2012, 01:15:01 PM »

I don't want to fall prey to overly romantic nostalgia about "the way things used to be" and I do think there is some rose-colored glasses business going on when looking back, and yet it does seem difficult to make a case for getting leaks or even official streams before a release date being better than "back in the day."

I think we're still talking about different relationships with music and the extra-musical things surrounding the distribution thereof. 

I understand the excitement of wanting to hear something new, or something old in a new way.  We hope that we can recreate the same emotional reaction, the same feeling, the same thought--whatever it was that attracted us to the music in the first place.

But the instant gratification not only signifies that, on some intrinsic level, the person seeking it does not truly value the music, but also takes much of the potential enjoyment out of the experience.

I hate to make this at all sexual, but I'm going to.  Getting a leak or something before a release date is like being able to press a button and instantly feel, well, a sexual "release date." 

I remember anticipating release dates with a sort of excited nausea, terrified and excited of the prospects of what's on this new record.  And then getting the thing itself, smelling it, becoming intoxicated by the fumes of shrink-wrap plastic and glossy paper, taking the CD out of the case and seeing my stupid, ugly reflection in the shiny surface, but not caring because I'm about to leave all that behind.

And then, at college, I remember when a highly anticipated album would come out--that night (in my circles, at least) you knew that there were people gathered in dorm rooms, listening together.  You'd run into them at the record store, in line, with the same record.  And then the next day, we'd emerge, all on the same footing, our lives changed.

Beautifully said - and so true!

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: August 30, 2012, 01:27:56 PM »

Yes, bravo. Leaks and streams are smelly, not sexy.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: August 30, 2012, 02:00:30 PM »

I'm in totally agreement with H and Ian. And I hate to sound all Lars Ulrich-y, since he's a major douchebag, but the people who work on the records make money from their sales. These are their jobs. If their work doesn't sell, they either might lose the will to put their work out there, since they think nobody cares. Even for artists as popular as Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys, I would imagine that if their work doesn't get all that much attention, they might ask what's the point of releasing another album if nobody is listening.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: August 30, 2012, 02:11:45 PM »

*sigh* are we really here, again?

My philosophy is simple: I may die tomorrow. I may be dead in an hour, for all I know. If the music's there (I never demand it from someone), I'm gonna listen to it and will buy it when it's released. It has absolutely nothing to do with instant gratification.

I don't like the implication that I've never bought a record (my girlfriend and I must own well over a thousand on every format you could possibly imagine), don't appreciate or enjoy music as much as someone who chooses to wait, and am part of this "GIVE ME THAT, IT'S MINE" generation. Music has basically been the most important thing to me since I was about three years old, I'll be 27 next month. I started buying records (on cassette, I'll add) in second grade with gift money I got for my birthday and on Christmas.

Things have changed, and anyone hoping to going backwards with this is gonna have an awful frustrating wait ahead of them. There's something to be said for "leak days" as well - they're very exciting times filled with anticipation, and when the day finally comes, a bunch of people who love the general thing they've waited for and can discuss it together. They're listening together, and when they're done, they can discuss it together. Pretty damn cool, to me.

You can still talk to your friends the next day about the album, and if they haven't heard it, you can hook them up in mere seconds. The sexual tension/release thing comes into play there, too, and just because you can last a little longer doesn't mean the person you're f***ing is still enjoying it at that point.

It doesn't matter that it's online, there's still worth in that just as much as there's worth you and your college buddies listening to the album at night and then talking about it the next day. It's different, obviously, but there's no more worth in one than the other. You still get your release date, you still get your experience, and if you want to talk to others who waited, they're still all around.

And y'know what? We still get the record release day. It doesn't matter that we've heard it - it's still exciting, there's still interest, there's still the sense of "It's real, it's in my hands, it's mine". Again, it's different than what you feel, but we've went through something unique and exciting all our own that no one can take away from us. I'm the most nostalgic, stuck-in-my-own-past person I know, and I can still see that.

Wait all you want. That's totally cool with me. But don't criticize me for listening a couple weeks early and having my own experience of it. Accusing me of not appreciating it on the same level you do isn't fair at all.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:12:41 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: August 30, 2012, 02:46:59 PM »

I'm not accusing YOU. I'm accusing ALL of you. Don't feel bad.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1672 on: August 30, 2012, 04:22:20 PM »

I will say that what with the TSS stuff being so guarded, coming home to the box set was a magical experience. but I can't do that with the hundreds of albums I listen to a year. I'll just stop listening. I'll always buy the things I was gonna buy in the first place, but would I purchase a Katy Perry album in a world where downloading didn't exist? no, of course not. It's not worth the money. would I download a Katy Perry album? yeah, why not?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: August 30, 2012, 04:40:43 PM »

My philosophy is simple: I may die tomorrow. I may be dead in an hour, for all I know. If the music's there (I never demand it from someone), I'm gonna listen to it and will buy it when it's released. It has absolutely nothing to do with instant gratification.

I don't like the implication that I've never bought a record (my girlfriend and I must own well over a thousand on every format you could possibly imagine), don't appreciate or enjoy music as much as someone who chooses to wait, and am part of this "GIVE ME THAT, IT'S MINE" generation. Music has basically been the most important thing to me since I was about three years old, I'll be 27 next month. I started buying records (on cassette, I'll add) in second grade with gift money I got for my birthday and on Christmas.

Things have changed, and anyone hoping to going backwards with this is gonna have an awful frustrating wait ahead of them. There's something to be said for "leak days" as well - they're very exciting times filled with anticipation, and when the day finally comes, a bunch of people who love the general thing they've waited for and can discuss it together. They're listening together, and when they're done, they can discuss it together. Pretty damn cool, to me.

You can still talk to your friends the next day about the album, and if they haven't heard it, you can hook them up in mere seconds. The sexual tension/release thing comes into play there, too, and just because you can last a little longer doesn't mean the person you're f***ing is still enjoying it at that point.

It doesn't matter that it's online, there's still worth in that just as much as there's worth you and your college buddies listening to the album at night and then talking about it the next day. It's different, obviously, but there's no more worth in one than the other. You still get your release date, you still get your experience, and if you want to talk to others who waited, they're still all around.

And y'know what? We still get the record release day. It doesn't matter that we've heard it - it's still exciting, there's still interest, there's still the sense of "It's real, it's in my hands, it's mine". Again, it's different than what you feel, but we've went through something unique and exciting all our own that no one can take away from us. I'm the most nostalgic, stuck-in-my-own-past person I know, and I can still see that.

Wait all you want. That's totally cool with me. But don't criticize me for listening a couple weeks early and having my own experience of it. Accusing me of not appreciating it on the same level you do isn't fair at all.

Runners, I have no problem with this way of thinking.

It's the people like kappa or whoever you blatantly state that they are waiting for the leaks with pretty much no plan to ever buy the releases. That, to me is bullshit. If you want something maybe to just hold you over until you buy it, I suppose that's not so bad. But people just assuming they are owed this music, and feel no guilt for stealing is bullshit.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1674 on: August 30, 2012, 06:33:33 PM »

why is hello kitty your avatar picture ?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:34:38 PM by DonnyL » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx