gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680895 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 04, 2024, 05:43:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's morphing tunes  (Read 15192 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 07:09:37 PM »

My Solution --> beginning of Happy Days

got it already

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 07:11:19 PM »

Fire-->Rio Grande
Rio Grande-->Morning Beat

really? what parts?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 07:14:44 PM »

Fire-->Rio Grande
Rio Grande-->Morning Beat

really? what parts?

About 2:00 minutes of Rio Grande always sounded just like the part in Morning Beat that goes "Hear those guitars gently strumming".

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 04:59:24 AM »

"Love To Say Dada" ended up being "Cool Cool Water". Part of "Wind Chimes" ended up in "Been Way To Long". The melody to "All This Is That" ends up in "Happy Days".  This raises a question though. Exactly how do we tell the difference between melodies morphing into other songs, and "musical references", where something from one song is quoted in another song, in a deliberate way? Let's use Brian's Back as an example. "You Still Believe In Me" is quoted at the end of "Brian's Back", but it's more of a deliberate reference to another song, as apposed to one melody idea progressing from one song to another.

really? explain the whole All This is That being Happy days, I've never heard this theory
Listen to the "happy days are here again, the sky is blue and clear again" part, and try singing the verses of All This Is That on top of it. It's very similar. At least, to me it is.

Weird - didn't realise this was here. Just discussing this exact point in the Brianless BB mix thread, as evidence that Brian had a hand in writing ATIT.

And thanks Punkinhead for the tip re Trombone Dixie > Had To Phone Ya. I never recognised the similarity - it's actually a much stronger likeness than Da Da > Had To Phone Ya which I was hearing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 05:06:58 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 05:12:08 AM »

Turning Point - You've Touched Me
Island Girl - Island Girl?
Night Bloomin' Jasmine - Rio Grande
Don't Worry Baby - San Simeon
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 05:46:23 AM »

Of course, the numerous Smile riffs that have morphed, I think we've covered those til we're blue in the mouth.

I started a thread a year or two ago about the connections within Smile songs (either sections that were swapped out into new smile songs, or similarities in melody), so for the sake of completeness I thought I'd paste it here, although it's obviously not definitve and up for debate or additions.

1. Our Prayer
Surf's Up - The descending chords of the coda of SU are similar?

2. Heroes and Villains
Worms (Bicycle rider theme used in H&V)
Barnyard as tag (Humble harv demo)
I'm In Great Shape (Humble harv demo)
Vegetables (part 3 is similar  to The Heroes, the Heroes part of H&V Sections from GV boxset). Also 'Tag to part 1' is very similar to Do A Lot.
Wind Chimes - Version 4 of Tag To Part 1 features piano embellishments reminiscent of the tag to wind chimes.
With Me Tonight - apparently part of H&V at one point.
Love To say Dada - the bird sounds version 'All day' was part of H&V iirc.
Fire - Heroes Intro remarkably similar to Fire
Old Master Painter (False Barnyard initially belonged to OMP/YAMS)

3. Do You Dig Worms/Plymouth Rock
Heroes & Villains (bicycle rider theme)
Cabinessence (According to Vosse article, the Who Ran the Ion Horse and Grand Coulee sections were planned to go with the Bicyle Rider theme at one point )
Whistle In (Remember the day, remember the night is similar to keen a wok a pu la melody)
Love To Say Dada? (Personally I hear a similarity between the intro to dada and the keen a wok bit of worms)

4. Barnyard
Heroes and Villains tag (humble harv)
Great Shape (next to barnyard in harv demo, which might suggest that Barnyard would have featured in the Great Shape track once it was separated from H&V?)
Friday Night (workshop sounds featured with Barnyard at some point according to Jules Siegel?)

5. Old Master Painter/YAMS
H&V (False Barnyard)

6. Cabinessence
Worms (Vosse article)
Fire (Who Ran The Iron Horse similarity)

7. Wonderful
Vegetables (part 3 turns up reworked in the Smiley version of Wonderful)

8. Look/Song For Children
Good Vibrations

9. Child is father of the Man
Surf's Up (the coda as recorded in 72)
Little Bird (features trumpet from Child)

10. Surf's Up
Child is Father to the Man
Fall Breaks (woody woodpecker)

11. Great Shape
H&V
Barnyard
IWBA/FN (would Brian have put these pieces together at some point as in BWPS?)
Vegetables (Do A Lot to go with Great shape? - have heard this theory)

12. I Wanna Be Around/FN
Fire (According to Carol Kaye this may have been part 2 of Fire)
Great shape?
Barnyard? Siegel article
Do It Again (Woodshop sounds)

12. Vegetables
H&V
Wonderful
With Me Tonight (identical bass part in one of the Smile versions of WMT)
Great shape (Do A Lot?)

13. Holidays
Wind Chimes (the tag of Holidays used on Smiley version)
Tones/Tune x (last part with slide guitar sounds similar to me but as this is supposedly Carl's song then maybe just coincidence)

14. Wind Chimes
Holidays
Can't Wait Too Long
H&V - Tag to Part 1 version 4

15. Fire
H&V (intro), Bag Of tricks etc.
Cabinessence (Who Ran the Iron Horse imo)
IWBA/FN (Carol Kaye)
Fall Breaks

16. Water chant
Love to say Da da
Cool Cool water

17. Love to say Da Da
Water Chant
Cool Cool Water
H&V - (All Day)

18. Good Vibrations
Look
Here Today

19. With Me Tonight (Smile version)
Vegetables
H&V

20.He Gives Speeches
She's Goin bald

21. Tones/Tune X
Holidays?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 05:47:21 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 11:24:31 AM »

Turning Point - You've Touched Me
Island Girl - Island Girl?
Night Bloomin' Jasmine - Rio Grande
Don't Worry Baby - San Simeon

I already have Turning Point, under a different name (So Long, which others have given it). What's with Island Girl?

and what's San Simeon?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 11:36:20 AM »

and what's San Simeon?

Young master Jardine's latest offering.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 06:04:24 PM »

and what's San Simeon?

Young master Jardine's latest offering.

That's right!
Had I have the new album, I'd know.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 09:27:36 PM »

I just accidentally found another one to add to the list. The saxophone part in Amusement Parks USA sounds somewhat similar to With Me Tonight. The "On and on she go, dum be do dah" part. It might just be a weird coincidence though.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 02:25:16 AM »

I just accidentally found another one to add to the list. The saxophone part in Amusement Parks USA sounds somewhat similar to With Me Tonight. The "On and on she go, dum be do dah" part. It might just be a weird coincidence though.

Do You Like Worms -> With Me Tonight.

Amusement Parks USA -> Worms is a bit of a stretch.  Smiley

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 02:47:07 AM »

Do You Like Worms -> With Me Tonight.

Amusement Parks USA -> Worms is a bit of a stretch.  Smiley
Let's take your worm and do amusement parks, USA.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 08:09:11 AM »

Surfin' (live at Hawaii 67) organ parts to Do it Again (Brian's wordless vocals)

I believe that melody comes from another song by another band. Can't remember any of the names right now though...

"Lana"'s intro -> "Desert drive" was already mentioned but wasn't that lick also used on the Gershwin-album? I have heard someone mentioning it. Unfortunately the album still isn't out in Germany so I haven't listened to it yet   Sad

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 08:17:16 AM »

Surfin' (live at Hawaii 67) organ parts to Do it Again (Brian's wordless vocals)

I believe that melody comes from another song by another band. Can't remember any of the names right now though...

"Underwater" by The Frogmen, a #44 hit in May 1961. The record was released on Candix 314.

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 12:28:45 PM »

Farmer's Daughter & Salt Lake City - I Got Rhythm tag

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 06:52:33 AM »

"Underwater" by The Frogmen, a #44 hit in May 1961. The record was released on Candix 314.

Yes, thanks !
Found this on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zVfPEiHctM

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2010, 12:38:29 AM »

Southbay Surfer - Surfin' Down the Swanee River (The Honeys)
Baker's Man - Hide Go Seek (The Honeys) - Speed Turtle

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2010, 01:34:28 AM »

Slight hole in that theory - (thankfully) Brian didn't write "Speed Turtle".  Grin

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2010, 08:48:50 AM »

haha thanks for the info Andrew  Smiley

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2010, 07:05:03 PM »

Good call! Thanks

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 06:58:34 AM »

Southbay surfers and Surfin' down.... both use the melody of "Swanee river". Brian didn't write it, just played around with the melody

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2010, 06:07:14 PM »

true, you might say the same about Brian/Sharon Marie's cover of Summertime and Brian's recent cover of Summertime.  Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2010, 01:04:54 PM »

Walkin' The Line - Your Imagination

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2010, 06:52:13 PM »

Walkin' The Line - Your Imagination

really? how so?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2010, 07:19:17 PM »

Listen to the instruments in each tune, specifically the intro/verses of each song.
It doesn't sound identical but it's similar rhythmically and melodically. It may be a stretch, but it sounds that way to me

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx