gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680960 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 06:05:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Sad About BB's Career After "Smile" Incident :'[  (Read 38177 times)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2012, 03:07:06 PM »

It would be much quicker for me to post what I don't consider great from 20/20 to Holland.
Bluebirds Over the Mountain and Make it Good = Crap
Take a Load Off Your Feet = average.
Why do most of you hate bluebirds over the mountain? :[ i like it ..
On this we agree.  bluebirds over the Mountain, great tune!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2012, 03:09:09 PM »

Is newguy really  14?
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2012, 03:12:48 PM »

Perhaps he is only 14.

It doesn't give him the right to tell people to "chill the f*ck out". He doesn't need to say we're all "in denial" for having an opinion.

The more I read his posts the more I think he's a troll: He pisses us off, then he backs away. He pisses us off even more, then backs away....It was amusing, but now it's just plain annoying.
I concur..Poking for a response.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »

Newguy is like 14 yrs old guys, so give him a break. at least he's listening to good music.

big Byrds fan here as well... I see a lot of parallels between them and the Beach Boys. they were really the only other American band who could compete with the Beatles for a time.

Gene Clark was by far the most talented of the original lineup. such a rare and introspective talent... like Brian. and he got bullied by McGuinn and Crosby a good deal.

Gram Parsons was another rare talent with so much ambition and vision. He came to L.A. and took not only Crosby's slot in the Byrds, but his girlfriend too. Gram also got fired from the band, but within months he had Byrds Chris Hillman and Mike Clarke in his own band and they recorded one of the coolest and most influential albums of all-time with 'Gilded Palace of Sin'. pretty amazing when you think about it.

then Clarence White joined the Byrds. another absolutely amazing talent. I don't know if he was "better" than Hendrix, their styles were at opposite ends of the spectrum... but he was one of Jimi's favorites.

it amazes me how much genius passed through that band, but like the Beach Boys they were led by a lesser talent who eventually went the nostalgic route.

such a shame that Gene Clark never got the recognition he deserved, and that Gram and Clarence both died so young... they weren't anywhere near being finished.

Some excellent points, Bossaroo!

But I disagree about McGuinn being a "lesser" talent.  As a musician, arranger, performer, and occasionally writer, he was a major talent.  He was responsible for keeping the later day Byrds going, and to me the run of Dr. Byrds, Easy Rider, Untitled, Byrdmaniax and Farther Along is a fantastic run of albums.  This are all regularly spun by me.

Plus, McGuinn is not taking the "nostalgia" route, if anything, he is avoiding the nostalgia act.

Well McGuinn's 12 string and Clarence's string bender: a match made in heaven!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2012, 03:26:55 PM »

I'm new here and just recently got into the Beach Boys (last year) at the age of 30. I loved the song Kokomo as a kid, I was 8 at the time, but wasn't really into music then and forgot about it. In my late 20s I bought a 40th anniversary copy of Pet Sounds with the fuzzy cover. The only reason I bought it was because I kept seeing it in numerous "top album" lists and wanted to see what the fuss was about. I enjoyed it but honestly it didn't interest me enough to dig any deeper into their catalog.

Long story short, a new co worker (who's 60 years old) and I start talking music on a daily basis and his favorite band is the Beach Boys so he gives me lists of songs / albums to check out on youtube. It was songs from 20/20, Friends, Wild Honey and Holland that really got me into them. I found Sunflower on my own and love that album as well. I didn't know anything about Smile so I thought Smiley Smile being the complete opposite of Pet Sounds was a brilliant way to follow it up. There definitely are some pre Pet Sounds songs that I like but I honestly rarely listen to them.  Smiley Smile - Holland is my favorite Beach Boys era.

To jump into the Pink Floyd discussion, I didn't like much after Dark Side Of The Moon other than Animals. Wish You Were Here, The Wall and the Final Cut did nothing for me as albums. They do have some really good cuts though. Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Obscured By Clouds and Animals are my favorites. Momentary Lapse of Reason is awful in my opinion. Just a really bad, dated David Gilmour solo album under the name Pink Floyd. I think Division Bell is the better of the two post Roger Waters albums.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:28:14 PM by lee » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2012, 03:55:45 PM »

It would be much quicker for me to post what I don't consider great from 20/20 to Holland.
Bluebirds Over the Mountain and Make it Good = Crap
Take a Load Off Your Feet = average.
Why do most of you hate bluebirds over the mountain? :[ i like it ..
On this we agree.  bluebirds over the Mountain, great tune!

finally someone else likes it Smiley
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »

For the record, I love both Honey Pies, Yer Blues, and everything "of those indian harrison songs lol".
i like honey pie , and all the harisson songs too i'm just pointing out their weaker songs .

What exactly do you find "weak" about them?
honey pie..when i'm 64..maggie mae it's all granny music lol
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 04:28:20 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »

For the record, I love both Honey Pies, Yer Blues, and everything "of those indian harrison songs lol".
i like honey pie , and all the harisson songs too i'm just pointing out their weaker songs .

honey pie..when i'm 64..maggy mae it's all granny music lol

So you are 14 then.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2012, 04:24:21 PM »

So you are 14 then.
my age doesnt matter..whether i was 14 or not, age is just a number.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »

Honey Pie nauseates me. It's such obvious schtick that I can't even stomach it.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »

Honey Pie nauseates me. It's such obvious schtick that I can't even stomach it.
you don't like granny music? :/ lol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 07, 2012, 05:15:27 PM »

I appreciate the genre/era Paul's aping with that song, but the way he does it is just revolting! But it's still a cute song in and of itself, and it lurks on one of my fave albums ever, but even considering all that, I just can't stomach it.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »

Newguy is like 14 yrs old guys, so give him a break. at least he's listening to good music.

big Byrds fan here as well... I see a lot of parallels between them and the Beach Boys. they were really the only other American band who could compete with the Beatles for a time.

Gene Clark was by far the most talented of the original lineup. such a rare and introspective talent... like Brian. and he got bullied by McGuinn and Crosby a good deal.

Gram Parsons was another rare talent with so much ambition and vision. He came to L.A. and took not only Crosby's slot in the Byrds, but his girlfriend too. Gram also got fired from the band, but within months he had Byrds Chris Hillman and Mike Clarke in his own band and they recorded one of the coolest and most influential albums of all-time with 'Gilded Palace of Sin'. pretty amazing when you think about it.

then Clarence White joined the Byrds. another absolutely amazing talent. I don't know if he was "better" than Hendrix, their styles were at opposite ends of the spectrum... but he was one of Jimi's favorites.

it amazes me how much genius passed through that band, but like the Beach Boys they were led by a lesser talent who eventually went the nostalgic route.

such a shame that Gene Clark never got the recognition he deserved, and that Gram and Clarence both died so young... they weren't anywhere near being finished.

Some excellent points, Bossaroo!

But I disagree about McGuinn being a "lesser" talent.  As a musician, arranger, performer, and occasionally writer, he was a major talent.  He was responsible for keeping the later day Byrds going, and to me the run of Dr. Byrds, Easy Rider, Untitled, Byrdmaniax and Farther Along is a fantastic run of albums.  This are all regularly spun by me.

Plus, McGuinn is not taking the "nostalgia" route, if anything, he is avoiding the nostalgia act.

Well McGuinn's 12 string and Clarence's string bender: a match made in heaven!

yeah... i disagree.

I won't go so far as to call McGuinn untalented, but compared to the likes of Gene Clark and Clarence White he's simply average.

he kept the latter-day Byrds going, but he turned them into a corporation with himself as CEO. Gram is the one responsible for pushing them in the country direction with Hillman's assistance, and Clarence and Gene Parsons really took the reins when they joined. I honestly feel McGuinn just went along for the ride because he knew his experimental Moog music had absolutely no chance of succeeding.

in the end, McGuinn disbanded the Clarence-era band and did the Reunion album with the original members for one last attempt at cashing in. There was really zero chance of them remaining together for more than one album, so he effectively killed the Byrds when he went that route.

I also disagree that his Rickenbacker and Clarence's telecaster were a good match. McGuinn should have hung up the 12-string at some point, but it was the one thing that retained the original "jangly" sound. That was Roger being nostalgic in my opinion, and it held the band back.

he's not a very good singer, and he seemed content just endlessly covering Dylan for basically the entire life of the band. He wrote a handful of decent songs, but I just don't find him all that creative or musical really. he also went back and gave himself credit on some of Gene Clark's songs after Gene died. that's a douchebag move.

he really does remind me of Mike Love in a lot of ways. he tends to rewrite history in interviews, painting himself as the good guy with nothing bad to say about Gene Clark or Gram Parsons anymore. he speaks highly of Clarence White and their relationship, but back in the day he treated Clarence as more of a hired hand.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:21:47 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2012, 05:24:45 PM »

Maggie Mae is granny music? It's about a prostitute.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »

I appreciate the genre/era Paul's aping with that song, but the way he does it is just revolting! But it's still a cute song in and of itself, and it lurks on one of my fave albums ever, but even considering all that, I just can't stomach it.

it's extremely catchy but not my taste in music but i enjoy it  from time to time Smiley
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »

Maggie Mae is granny music? It's about a prostitute.
yes nasty granny music  Tongue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »

I think by "granny music" he means music that sounds like it comes from some far away time and out of old faded black & white pictures evoking images of our grandmothers as young women cavorting on beaches in one piece bathing suits and going to speakeasys.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2012, 05:59:56 PM »

I suppose so but let's face it, given when The Beatles released their music and their general acceptedness today, I think we can safely call all their music "granny music" now.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »

I think by "granny music" he means music that sounds like it comes from some far away time and out of old faded black & white pictures evoking images of our grandmothers as young women cavorting on beaches in one piece bathing suits and going to speakeasys.

thanks for explaining it for me :] thats exactly what i meant lol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »

"I suppose so but let's face it, given when The Beatles released their music and their general acceptedness today, I think we can safely call all their music "granny music" now"

I meant that the songs he mentioned, even when released, sounded like Paul was aping some long ago time/sound/vibe.

But yes, you are correct...... All those Girls On The Beach are now grannies and great grannies!!!!  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:04:55 PM by Erik H » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2012, 06:12:08 PM »

I meant that the songs he mentioned, even when released, sounded like Paul was aping some long ago time/sound/vibe.

Yes. But then, I still don't see how Maggie Mae fits in.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »

That one's lost on me too
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2012, 06:32:55 PM »

Yes. But then, I still don't see how Maggie Mae fits in.
Honey Pie, When I'm 64,Martha My Dear,Maxwell's Silver Hammer (i consider it granny music...it doesnt mean i don't like it cuz i do like honey pie & martha my dear)
oops i take back maggy mae lol..i awlays confuses it with Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2012, 07:11:16 PM »

So you are 14 then.
my age doesnt matter..whether i was 14 or not, age is just a number.

Well, yes it does, when you act very immature and obnoxious sometimes it kind of has to do with age.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »

To me Pink Floyd's peak was their first album.

YES!! Love the Syd!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx