gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681067 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 06:16:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy - News and Reviews - First clip is out.  (Read 514311 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: June 03, 2015, 06:23:53 PM »

Not a review, but a promotional thing: John Cusack is on today's Nerdist podcast talking about, among other things, Love & Mercy. I am just beginning to listen so I can't comment on it, but if you're interested, go to iTunes or wherever and have a listen.

(Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, but I didn't see an obvious place.)

Thanks for the head's up.  Cusack is one of my favorite actors of his/my generation.  Just beginning to listen to the Nerdist Podcast, hoping he talks about his work on THE THIN RED LINE.  I always like hearing stories about Terrence Malick.

Nerdist Podcast always hits it out of the park with their interview subjects (they did a killer interview with Joel Hodgson - MST3K host) a few years ago.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: June 03, 2015, 06:32:55 PM »

I haven't read the IMDB comments, but do think the reference to Brian as "America's greatest songwriter" at the end of the TV advertisement for Love & Mercy is over the top, even for an advertisement. He's one of our greatest songwriters, but there are several other contenders, assuming it makes sense to rank songwriters at all, which it doesn't. (Besides which, he's also a performer and a producer.)

It probably is a bit over the top.  But it is just one reviewers opinion, after all.  Movie company is just using pull quotes.  I avoid most message boards, specifically for the type of bottom of the barrel sniping that occurs.  The thread on IMDB about this is a case study.

Meanwhile: an interview featuring Brian and Melinda:

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/03/inside_brian_wilsons_room_the_famed_beach_boy_opens_up_about_mental_illness_medication_manipulation_and_the_movie_about_his_life/

PS -- Moviefone now lists 318 theaters in the US. Supposedly another 130 to go.

Thanks for the head's up on the Salon interview.  My 'Reading list' in my browser is getting l-o-n-g

I checked Fandango this afternoon and found that two AMC theaters in Columbus will have the film.  There was another theater across the city (from me) that has it; one of the first IMAX theaters in Ohio I think.  Also, there's the independent theater I had mentioned previously.  I feel fortunate to have options on Friday and beyond. 

Certainly if once the film expands from its limited release, in week two, the options will open up for a good majority of people in the U.S.

Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1377 on: June 03, 2015, 07:01:27 PM »

I haven't read the IMDB comments, but do think the reference to Brian as "America's greatest songwriter" at the end of the TV advertisement for Love & Mercy is over the top, even for an advertisement. He's one of our greatest songwriters, but there are several other contenders, assuming it makes sense to rank songwriters at all, which it doesn't. (Besides which, he's also a performer and a producer.)

It probably is a bit over the top.  But it is just one reviewers opinion, after all.  Movie company is just using pull quotes.  I avoid most message boards, specifically for the type of bottom of the barrel sniping that occurs.  The thread on IMDB about this is a case study.

Thanks for pointing out it was probably (?) some reviewer's opinion. I've only seen the ad a couple times and thought it was the advertising agency. In a print ad, it would have quotation marks and an attribution. I mean, Brian is my favorite songwriter, but hearing that opinion stated as fact was a little jarring.

Later edit:  I watched the Late Late Show tonight because Paul Dano was on (it wasn't a wise use of my time) and got to see the advertisement again. They do attribute that quote to a critic. If you had superhero vision, you might be able to see the critic's name.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:41:15 PM by Larry Franz » Logged

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: June 03, 2015, 08:36:29 PM »

It looks like, at least in some areas, it's hitting more of the "art house" type of venues for this first week.

It's listed for the art house near me, date undetermined, so probably in a week or two. No listings so far for the mainstream screens around here. However, the art house is a good venue, with reasonable ticket prices and adult beverages available. I'm hoping the film will be showing during our huge annual music festival later this month. (Of course, Friday night of the festival will have a little competition from Brian himself at the Fabulous Fox in the ATL.)

Edit: The Athens, GA newspaper now lists June 19 for the opening date there, but doesn't say which theaters.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:33:00 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: June 03, 2015, 08:49:48 PM »

I don't live in the US and it's uncertain at this point if I'll ever be able to see the movie in a theater unless I travel 8000 miles or so. It's a little funny to me that US fans are complaining that it doesn't show in their hometown or in their neighborhood. I say move your asses and go see it!!!!

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1380 on: June 03, 2015, 11:19:27 PM »

autotune -- I hope the 8000 miles is an exaggeration, but you've got a point. Even in its initial limited release on Friday, it should be easily accessible to a very high percentage of the US population. I live in a suburb and so far it will be showing in four theaters within 10 miles of my house. (Although I'd be willing to drive at least 11 miles to see it!)

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: June 04, 2015, 04:38:08 AM »

In case you guys don't know, Brian and Melinda will be on "The View" Friday to promote the movie.  ( I can't stand the View but of course will record it )
http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view/episode-guide/2015-06/05-friday-june-5-2015
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: June 04, 2015, 05:58:39 AM »

ABC news video with Brian & Melinda:  http://news.yahoo.com/video/brian-wilson-wife-melinda-open-063731783.html
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:59:39 AM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: June 04, 2015, 06:32:44 AM »

Thanks Beatnickle!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: June 04, 2015, 07:10:38 AM »

autotune -- I hope the 8000 miles is an exaggeration, but you've got a point. Even in its initial limited release on Friday, it should be easily accessible to a very high percentage of the US population. I live in a suburb and so far it will be showing in four theaters within 10 miles of my house. (Although I'd be willing to drive at least 11 miles to see it!)

Alas, it isn't an exaggeration. I traveled that much to see a reunion show. With the film, it's different: eventually we all will see it one way or another.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: June 04, 2015, 07:18:05 AM »

Alas, it isn't an exaggeration. I traveled that much to see a reunion show. With the film, it's different: eventually we all will see it one way or another.

I am pissed. I can't find it showing anywhere in the vicinity of Greenville SC.  F**kING BULLSH*t
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:47:41 AM by beatnickle » Logged
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1386 on: June 04, 2015, 11:42:25 AM »

I am pissed. I can't find it showing anywhere in the vicinity of Greenville SC.  F**kING BULLSH*t

That's strange. It's playing in 4 theaters in the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina, but nowhere else in NC and nowhere at all in South Carolina. I didn't realize they were targeting specific areas like that. Maybe that's how these limited releases are ordinarily done. But it may be going in wider release soon, since they're doing so much publicity and the reviews are very good.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 11:44:06 AM by Larry Franz » Logged

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: June 04, 2015, 11:57:39 AM »

John Cusack appeared on Good Morning America today..  video quality isn't the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_13dTy4coig
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:04:22 PM by JCM » Logged

orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: June 04, 2015, 12:26:39 PM »

If anyone has an extra ticket to the Landmark showing/interview in Los Angeles this upcoming Sunday the 7th please let me know. I'm good fun!
Email is orangejed22@yahoo.com. Thanks!
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: June 04, 2015, 01:09:37 PM »

I am pissed. I can't find it showing anywhere in the vicinity of Greenville SC.  F**kING BULLSH*t

That's strange. It's playing in 4 theaters in the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina, but nowhere else in NC and nowhere at all in South Carolina. I didn't realize they were targeting specific areas like that. Maybe that's how these limited releases are ordinarily done. But it may be going in wider release soon, since they're doing so much publicity and the reviews are very good.

I moved to the Greenville area from Durham.  Greenville is a fairly hip community.

I can't find any upcoming showtimes. I am impatient when it comes to certain things and this is one of them.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: June 04, 2015, 02:52:50 PM »

'80s Icon John Cusack Explains What He Has in Common With '60s Icon Brian Wilson

http://www.laweekly.com/film/80s-icon-john-cusack-explains-what-he-has-in-common-with-60s-icon-brian-wilson-5643286

Love & Mercy Lets Us Hear the Voices Inside Brian Wilson's Head

http://www.laweekly.com/film/love-and-mercy-lets-us-hear-the-voices-inside-brian-wilsons-head-5643764

NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: June 04, 2015, 03:26:05 PM »

I moved to the Greenville area from Durham.  Greenville is a fairly hip community.

I can't find any upcoming showtimes. I am impatient when it comes to certain things and this is one of them.

Going to watch the Durham showing tomorrow morning. I'm from Eastern NC, and I'm surprised Wilmington didn't have a showing!

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: June 04, 2015, 04:09:20 PM »

Impressively, Love & Mercy has risen from 80% to 88% this week on Rotten Tomatoes as the reviews roll in. Hopefully that momentum translates to a wider release. I look forward to seeing it Monday morning.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: June 04, 2015, 04:21:57 PM »

Holy crap, check out the pop charts on itunes, BB's music has gotten a massive increase in sales  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: June 04, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »

deleted ...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:21:29 PM by Musicergs » Logged

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: June 04, 2015, 05:19:33 PM »

That probably deserves a thread of its own. No need to pollute this thread with sensationalist glimpses into these peoples' private lives. Still, lots of cool unseen photos in that link.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1396 on: June 04, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »

NY Times review just came out. It got the "NYT Critics Pick" seal of approval.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/05/movies/review-love-mercy-gets-inside-brian-wilsons-head.html

They also have the director narrating a scene from the movie, something the Times often does:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/05/movies/love-mercy-with-movie-trailer-bill-pohlad-narrates-a-scene.html
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:38:19 PM by Larry Franz » Logged

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: June 04, 2015, 05:41:44 PM »

New poster propped up on the Rotten Tomatoes page. Don't know what its context is. Looks terrific for what it is. I like it better than the illustration.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1398 on: June 04, 2015, 05:46:03 PM »

Yeah, that's an excellent poster. Very classy and also gives people a preview of the movie.

But in "selected cinemas" (not theaters) on June 25? Wonder which country it's for.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:48:18 PM by Larry Franz » Logged

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 04, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »

Yeah, that's an excellent poster. Very classy and also gives people a preview of the movie.

But in "selected cinemas" (not theaters) on June 25? Wonder which country it's for.

Judging by the "check the classification" tag, Australia.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx