gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680938 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 10:38:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 [304] 305 306 307 308 309 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1740897 times)
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7575 on: October 24, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »

Wasn't there supposed to be an itunes exclusive version?

I really wonder what happened to this; a lot of people get their music from itunes, and a new vintage Beach Boys album would surely get a lot of downloads.

Well, it's still a weekish away, so its absence on iTunes isn't that unusual. It's more likely that either Capitol hasn't submitted it to iTunes yet, or iTunes has it ready but won't be pushing the promos until later this week.
PhilCohen
« Reply #7576 on: October 24, 2011, 07:49:04 PM »

No doubt, to Brian Wilson, the 2004 re-recording "Brian Wilson Presents Smile" is the "real" Smile.

As for the "Smile Sessions" box, there will always be the debate over whether the unfinished recordings should have been presented exactly "As Is"(as Brian left them when the project was abandoned in the Spring of 1967).

Many of you will respond by saying that we already do have the undoctored "As Is" recordings......and you're correct.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7577 on: October 24, 2011, 07:49:30 PM »

Wasn't there supposed to be an itunes exclusive version?

I really wonder what happened to this; a lot of people get their music from itunes, and a new vintage Beach Boys album would surely get a lot of downloads.

Well, it's still a weekish away, so its absence on iTunes isn't that unusual. It's more likely that either Capitol hasn't submitted it to iTunes yet, or iTunes has it ready but won't be pushing the promos until later this week.

I hope that's the case. But usually they have a pre-order....and that's normally a few weeks to a month in advance of release.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7578 on: October 24, 2011, 07:50:02 PM »

No doubt, to Brian Wilson, the 2004 re-recording "Brian Wilson Presents Smile" is the "real" Smile.

As for the "Smile Sessions" box, there will always be the debate over whether the unfinished recordings should have been presented exactly "As Is"(as Brian left them when the project was abandoned in the Spring of 1967).

Many of you will respond by saying that we already do have the undoctored "As Is" recordings......and you're correct.

May I ask why Brian said he prefers The SMiLE Sessions then???

And if they left the "as is" as he left them in '67, would that mean they couldn't put the "bicycle rider" vocals on "Worms"? Of course they couldn't fly Brian's vocals onto "Surf's Up" then.  Just present "Child Is Father Of The Man" as an instrumental?

I mean, come on man. We are getting official Beach Boys versions of "Child Is Father Of The Man", "Holidays", "Surf's Up 1967", and "Look". We get MORE sessions than we already had.

I'm not saying the box is perfect, but it sure is more than I ever would have expected and I think you must have a horrible life to never find any positives in these things.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:56:30 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #7579 on: October 24, 2011, 07:51:46 PM »

Just a question why was Phil allowed back on? He was banned and then showed the same characterisics he displayed here on other boards and was promptly banned from them? So this board is not alone in banning him!
Phil made his own mix, purchased more bootlegs and then made another mix.
You really need to look at Phil's posting history to get a feel for where he is at.. I really  think he has some issues that we on this board are unable to assist him with.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
PhilCohen
« Reply #7580 on: October 24, 2011, 07:52:16 PM »

May I ask why Brian said he prefers The SMiLE Sessions then???

What Brian says and thinks changes on a day to day basis. Undoubtedly, he's pleased with(and proud of) the 2004 version.
PhilCohen
« Reply #7581 on: October 24, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »

I'm hereby finished discussing "Smile". I hope that you all enjoy the Capitol releases.(I've ordered them from Amazon.com). See you again next year when the rumored "Wild Honey" project nears completion. Then we can discuss that project.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7582 on: October 24, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »

You've heard Vigotone's fan mix, Sea of Tunes' fan mix, my fan mix, Purple Chick's fan mix....and soon you'll hear Mark Linett's fan mix, but are any of them the "real" "Smile"?

Maybe there's no such thing as the "real" "Smile", but Mark Linett's interpretation gives us a few more products to add to our collections.

This is NOT Mark Linett's fan mix.  It is NOT his personal interpretation.  It was his job to assemble this in a way that followed the BWPS template and received approval from Brian.  Calling it a 'fan mix' is degrading it.  He didn't have free reign to go all out.
theCOD
« Reply #7583 on: October 24, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »

I'm hereby finished discussing "Smile". I hope that you all enjoy the Capitol releases.(I've ordered them from Amazon.com). See you again next year when the rumored "Wild Honey" project nears completion. Then we can discuss that project.

GREAT! Goodbye! Grin
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7584 on: October 24, 2011, 08:00:57 PM »

wow, Phil's return lasted 4 hours

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7585 on: October 24, 2011, 08:01:18 PM »

I hope that's the case. But usually they have a pre-order....and that's normally a few weeks to a month in advance of release.

Record labels submit new releases and dictate the pre-orders. If it's not up for pre-order by the 30th or 31st, then I'll be surprised.

(Now, custom pages and graphics I think Apple does provide, depending on the release. They put together some nice Beach Boys material when BWPS came out. I hope they do the same thing; the current Beach Boys page is woefully neglected.)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7586 on: October 24, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »

iTunes just got the Brian Wilson Disney album up today.  Release day.
It had no pre-order for some reason.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7587 on: October 24, 2011, 08:02:41 PM »

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out you piece of shat! Go listen to your "fan mixes" because you are the artist!!!

Oh wait, no. Phil Cohen isn't an artist.

Brian Wilson is. And he's put out TWO versions of SMiLE that are making people very happy. Apparently not you though, Dikhead.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7588 on: October 24, 2011, 08:04:11 PM »

wow, Phil's return lasted 4 hours
AGD was totally silent as well this time ....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7589 on: October 24, 2011, 08:04:31 PM »

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out you piece of shat! Go listen to your "fan mixes" because you are the artist!!!

Brian Wilson is. And he's put out TWO versions of SMiLE that are making people very happy. Apparently not you though, Dikhead.

Jesus Christ calm down, he didn't insult Brian he was commenting on the music..

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #7590 on: October 24, 2011, 08:05:20 PM »

The difference between Mark's mix and any other one is that it is approved by The Beach Boys (and Brian). Sadly, Smile1967 is frozen in time,and doesnot exist, except in alternate realities...

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: October 24, 2011, 08:07:49 PM »

Holy crap - my mind is being blown almost daily at this point.  Samples sound incredible, I especially love "Surf's Up" (both versions) and I actually think that the fly-in on "Barnyard" has a great tripped-out vibe that works really well for the song.  And that little snipped of backing vocals...wow.

As if it wasn't obvious already, I'm not going to be getting a whole lot done for about a week once the box is in my hands!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: October 24, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »

Honestly. We were just given snippets to every track on TSS and all that some here can do it bitch about two innocent comments made by Phil Cohen.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RCTID
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: October 24, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »

oh god... high quality previews?

must... resist...

"you've got the beach boys...your firms got the stones"
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: October 24, 2011, 08:12:16 PM »

Honestly. We were just given snippets to every track on TSS and all that some here can do it bitch about two innocent comments made by Phil Cohen.

It's crazy, If you don't like Phil's comments just pass them

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: October 24, 2011, 08:13:01 PM »

Holy crap - my mind is being blown almost daily at this point.  Samples sound incredible, I especially love "Surf's Up" (both versions) and I actually think that the fly-in on "Barnyard" has a great tripped-out vibe that works really well for the song.  And that little snipped of backing vocals...wow.

As if it wasn't obvious already, I'm not going to be getting a whole lot done for about a week once the box is in my hands!

I'm gonna be pacing at my door everyday until this box arrives at my door. Then I plan on shutting the world out for a while.

I'm still ecstatic over what I heard in that one tiny snippet....Mark Linett is a genius for these mixes! I can't wait for this!!!!!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: October 24, 2011, 08:13:57 PM »

Mark Linett and Alan Boyd did wonderful work on this project. I'm glad this box has turned out as well as it has.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: October 24, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »

Record labels submit new releases and dictate the pre-orders. If it's not up for pre-order by the 30th or 31st, then I'll be surprised.

(Now, custom pages and graphics I think Apple does provide, depending on the release. They put together some nice Beach Boys material when BWPS came out. I hope they do the same thing; the current Beach Boys page is woefully neglected.)

I realize that. Just seems odd this late in the game to get a pre-order going. Also odd: I checked Capitol's website and they don't even have TSS as an upcoming release...

theCOD
« Reply #7598 on: October 24, 2011, 08:19:58 PM »

It's crazy, If you don't like Phil's comments just pass them

It's the same worthless sh*t he's been posting ad nauseum since he showed up here. Is it SMiLE, or is it Mark's fan mix? It's ridiculous. Several people in this thread are unhappy about parts of the SMiLE re-creation, but nobody is jumping on them about it. There's a reason this guy has been banned from (at least) 3 forums and I highly doubt it has anything to do with expressing his opinion.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: October 24, 2011, 08:24:01 PM »

I realize that. Just seems odd this late in the game to get a pre-order going. Also odd: I checked Capitol's website and they don't even have TSS as an upcoming release...

Heh. I think the lesson we can garner here is that Capitol isn't too hip to the Internet.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 301 302 303 [304] 305 306 307 308 309 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx