gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681051 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 06:14:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 573012 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 30, 2012, 03:55:52 PM »

SUNFLOWER IN STEREO ZOMMGGMGmgggg

Well, at least the remaster is warranted - the tape is a lower gen than the one they used on the twofer (same goes for Surf's Up).
I think the only one that doesn't have anything new to cd is Pet Sounds.

Indeed, the "Pet Sounds" disc has nothing new to offer. In fact, it gives the public less(no bonus tracks) versus the presently available Capitol U.S.A. edition. So Japanese Capitol has wasted plastic(O.K, resin) and a place in the release schedule that could have better been used to bring us a stereo edition of "Wild Honey" or a partly stereo edition of "Surfin' Safari".

This edition uses the double-tracked vocal of YSBIM (stereo) that is only on the current MFSL, so has something to offer vs. the current USA edition.
You make it seem like it's Japan's fault that there isn't a Wild Honey or Surfin' Safari stereo edition. I'm sure it wasn't their descision.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: July 30, 2012, 03:58:26 PM »

Got my order today, I'm very impressed by the seller on eBay.

Anyway...pics...

Obviously, I opened Pet Sounds first.  The part of the booklet that is in English states "Mastered by Mark Linett at Your Place Or Mine Recording, 2012.  Compiled and Produced by Mark Linett, Alan Boyd & Dennis Wolfe".  The disc is HDCD encoded.

I haven't really had a chance to listen, children screaming in the background.  I did skim it and it is very obvious that the mono version contains re-mixed intro's found on the 1990 and 2006 Pet Sounds.  These edits were I believe done in 1988 in lieu of the original CD release.  Anyway, that was kind of a bummer, to say the least.  

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 30, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »

Got my Smiley Smile in today. For the most part, the remix is excellent; was it runnersdialzero who described it as "like the mono mix, but in stereo"? That's exactly it: you hear some new details, there's less noise, but it's not overly bright or reverbed in the slightest. I especially love all the bass-heavy tracks -- bass guitars, low vocals, whatever -- which are just so resonant and excellent: I forgot that this album has such an awesome low-end. And even though I thought I was done getting excited listening to new mixes of "Heroes and Villains," the Smiley edit in particular has always been my favorite, and they got it exactly right.

All that said, the stereo "Good Vibrations," although interesting, is a little disappointing. It's not as bad as AGD made it out to be, but I was assuming this would be a mix of the stereo track with the mono vocals. It's actually a complete extraction of the entire mono master (track and all), and in headphones, the stereo field sounds like it warbles a lot, which tends to happen with extractions. I think I understand what they were going for -- have all of the final mix be pulled from the same source, thus minimizing phasing/artifacts -- but there's part of me that still really wants to hear a version expertly engineered the other way.

EDIT: Oh, and I guess the mono sounds fine, too.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:56:55 PM by Austin » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: July 30, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »

I am mainly looking forward to stereo mixes of Today, Summer Days/Nights, Wild Honey and Friends. From what I've heard from songs like California Girls and Let the Wind Blow, I hope they really make these albums sound full.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 30, 2012, 05:19:16 PM »

Anyway...pics...

Obviously, I opened Pet Sounds first.  The part of the booklet that is in English states "Mastered by Mark Linett at Your Place Or Mine Recording, 2012.  Compiled and Produced by Mark Linett, Alan Boyd & Dennis Wolfe".  The disc is HDCD encoded.

I haven't really had a chance to listen, children screaming in the background.  I did skim it and it is very obvious that the mono version contains re-mixed intro's found on the 1990 and 2006 Pet Sounds.  These edits were I believe done in 1988 in lieu of the original CD release.  Anyway, that was kind of a bummer, to say the least.  
These look gorgeous.

A discipline daddy.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #855 on: July 30, 2012, 05:57:34 PM »

The timing on some of the edits on "Little Pad" are a little off.

Good Vibrations not the mind-blower I expected.

These just my nit-picks. Rest of it is pretty damn sweet. Mike's bass parts come on strong. 'Fall Breaks" is da bomb.
PhilCohen
« Reply #856 on: July 30, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »

I am mainly looking forward to stereo mixes of Today, Summer Days/Nights, Wild Honey and Friends. From what I've heard from songs like California Girls and Let the Wind Blow, I hope they really make these albums sound full.

Here are two indisputable facts which even Mr.Doe will confirm. With the exception of the songs "Friends" & "Little Bird" for which dedicated mono singles mixes exist, all of the other songs on the "Friends" album were mixed only in stereo. Countries that released a mono edition of the album released a mono fold-down of the stereo album mixes. Mr. Boyd & Linett are unlikely to create new stereo mixes because there is nothing particularly wrong with the 1968 stereo mixes.

By the way, a high quality tape-derived source for the mono single mixes of the songs "Friends" & "Little Bird" can be heard on the Vigotone label bootleg 5-CD box "Goodbye Surfing, Hello God".
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 30, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »

The remasters are packaged identical to the Beatles remasters, in mono at least (I don't own the stereo box) with the clear CD case enclosing the CD.  They look superb based on those pictures.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 30, 2012, 06:09:49 PM »

Anyway...pics...

Thanks for popping in and posting. Great pics. Are there booklets?

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 30, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »

Anyway...pics...

I really like the slim packaging.  I wish they were square (without the white "spine") -- more like the Beatles in mono box.  Sweet!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:04:29 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #860 on: July 30, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »

Here are two indisputable facts which even Mr.Doe will confirm. With the exception of the songs "Friends" & "Little Bird" for which dedicated mono singles mixes exist, all of the other songs on the "Friends" album were mixed only in stereo.

+ "wake the world".

A true mono mix of the album is not known to exist and has never been released. Doesn't mean one wasn't done at some point (although I doubt it).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:06:09 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 30, 2012, 08:42:10 PM »

So close I can touch them..

Maybe one or two of you owners can help us out..  Grin

Maybe  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 30, 2012, 08:48:12 PM »

Thanks for the pics.  Now I REALLY can't wait for mine to come.  I will post similiar pics if someone doesn't beat me to it by then.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 30, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »

So close I can touch them..

Maybe one or two of you owners can help us out..  Grin

Maybe  LOL

Oh, wouldn't it be nice?

PhilCohen
« Reply #864 on: July 30, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »

By the way, I've noted that Mr.Doe has been absent recently. Health problems, perhaps? That I'm asking that question shows that I'm not as inhuman as he claims.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 30, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »

I can't believe you didn't get Today! ;(

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 30, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »

By the way, I've noted that Mr.Doe has been absent recently. Health problems, perhaps? That I'm asking that question shows that I'm not as inhuman as he claims.
The tone you have used asking the question in my opinion demonstrates how f***ed in the head you really are!

Please go away
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:01:20 PM by 18thofMay » Logged

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 30, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »

Well, at least the remaster is warranted - the tape is a lower gen than the one they used on the twofer (same goes for Surf's Up).

Indeed, the "Pet Sounds" disc has nothing new to offer. In fact, it gives the public less(no bonus tracks) versus the presently available Capitol U.S.A. edition. So Japanese Capitol hasIwasted plastic(O.K, resin) and a place in the release schedule that could have better been used to bring us a stereo edition of "Wild Honey" or a partly stereo edition of "Surfin' Safari".

Every silver lining has a cloud eh?

“We live in divisive times.”
PhilCohen
« Reply #868 on: July 30, 2012, 11:49:49 PM »

The tone you have used asking the question in my opinion demonstrates how f***ed in the head you really are!

Please go away

You are totally programmed.  What if I had taken the opposite approach and said "I'm delighted by his disappearance". Would that make you happy?
PhilCohen
« Reply #869 on: July 31, 2012, 12:02:28 AM »

Indeed, the "Pet Sounds" disc has nothing new to offer. In fact, it gives the public less(no bonus tracks) versus the presently available Capitol U.S.A. edition. So Japanese Capitol hasIwasted plastic(O.K, resin) and a place in the release schedule that could have better been used to bring us a stereo edition of "Wild Honey" or a partly stereo edition of "Surfin' Safari".

Every silver lining has a cloud eh?

If there are more remastered  & remixed Japanese Beach Boys CD's in the future, it's not a problem.......but, if this is all we're ever going to get........
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: July 31, 2012, 12:07:36 AM »

Please go away

You are totally programmed.  What if I had taken the opposite approach and said "I'm delighted by his disappearance". Would that make you happy?

Hmm... Maybe you could work on the delivery... Some folk find an expression of concern, rather than mere observation, works wonders.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 31, 2012, 01:00:34 AM »

GIMME!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 31, 2012, 01:58:58 AM »

Thanks for popping in and posting. Great pics. Are there booklets?

Yea, nothing much to speak of though.  Everything but song credits are in Japanese. 

Sunflower and Surf's Up sound very good.  I'm disappointed with Pet Sounds though.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 31, 2012, 02:16:02 AM »

And you call us robots.....

"I am asking the necessary question in order to appear human on the internet"

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 31, 2012, 02:23:30 AM »

I might redact my last comment about Sunflower & Surf's Up.

I feel comfortable in saying this, even though I hate to, Andrew Sandoval's mastering on the 2000 release is better.  That's just one man's opinion.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:29:16 AM by jmanley1 » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx