gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681051 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 07:19:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 573013 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 26, 2012, 12:59:34 PM »

Key to what we might get outside of Japan might be knowing more about the providence of the mixes: was Mark commissioned to do them by EMI USA, and the files were subsequently licences by EMI Japan; or was the project commissioned by EMI Japan from the off; or am I way off the mark and this was BRI-run project? Or is it sowmthing Mark and Boyd have been toying with on and off for h years, in their spare time, and EMI Japan's just seized an opportunity?

If AGD doesn't drop his pants of secrecy and confess, he will not be able to dodge the blame of silence for much longer.

Don't take my word as gospel, but when I worked with Alan, Mark had worked up a bunch of stereo remixes for various albums, many of which have not come out.  I think that he'd do his best to do a new remix whenever the opportunity presented itself.  And that was six years ago.

It might be that he finally did them all and started shopping them around.  But I really have no idea--I just know that Mark has been working on these things for years without always having a outlet in mind.
PhilCohen
« Reply #651 on: July 26, 2012, 01:02:23 PM »

Procede with caution when buying Japanese Beach Boys CD's on Ebay, because most of these CD's are NOT the 2012 stereo + mono editions. While some actual 2012 Japan CD's were on Ebay yesterday(July 25th), my search on Ebay today showed no actual 2012 Japan discs.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 26, 2012, 01:06:10 PM »

Key to what we might get outside of Japan might be knowing more about the providence of the mixes: was Mark commissioned to do them by EMI USA, and the files were subsequently licences by EMI Japan; or was the project commissioned by EMI Japan from the off; or am I way off the mark and this was BRI-run project? Or is it sowmthing Mark and Boyd have been toying with on and off for h years, in their spare time, and EMI Japan's just seized an opportunity?

If AGD doesn't drop his pants of secrecy and confess, he will not be able to dodge the blame of silence for much longer.

Don't take my word as gospel, but when I worked with Alan, Mark had worked up a bunch of stereo remixes for various albums, many of which have not come out.  I think that he'd do his best to do a new remix whenever the opportunity presented itself.  And that was six years ago.

It might be that he finally did them all and started shopping them around.  But I really have no idea--I just know that Mark has been working on these things for years without always having a outlet in mind.

Had an idea that was the case. Assume though that someone at BRI or EMI/Capitol USA would have to sanction such a deal?

...someone other than Andrew I mean, even high up the ladder of secrecy...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:09:19 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
shmenge7372
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 26, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »

I finally have these in my grubby little hands.  I'm at work so I plan to start listening on the ride home.  5:30 cannot come fast enough for me.  I'm a little behind on this thread but it seems like some samples are out there already.  I haven't heard any of them yet but hope I'm in for a treat.  I'll check back in with my thoughts.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 26, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »

I finally have these in my grubby little hands.  I'm at work so I plan to start listening on the ride home.  5:30 cannot come fast enough for me.  I'm a little behind on this thread but it seems like some samples are out there already.  I haven't heard any of them yet but hope I'm in for a treat.  I'll check back in with my thoughts.

Much appreciated!

(edit) by chance, I wonder if these are on iTunes Japan? Not that I've ever bought an iTunes download. But you'd think they would be there....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:20:02 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 26, 2012, 01:21:13 PM »

I think the key to plugging European and North American releases of stereo Beach Boys mixes is Smiley Smile. It's an album people love or hate and here's a way to completely re-evaluate it.  That's good fodder for music mags like Rolling Stone and Mojo.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 26, 2012, 01:37:43 PM »

I think the key to plugging European and North American releases of stereo Beach Boys mixes is Smiley Smile. It's an album people love or hate and here's a way to completely re-evaluate it.  That's good fodder for music mags like Rolling Stone and Mojo.

Pitchfork LOVES Smiley Smile. So, yeah, I agree very much with what you said.

@ shmenge7372, wait a second, you bought all of them?!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 26, 2012, 01:49:05 PM »

I finally have these in my grubby little hands.  I'm at work so I plan to start listening on the ride home.  5:30 cannot come fast enough for me.  I'm a little behind on this thread but it seems like some samples are out there already.  I haven't heard any of them yet but hope I'm in for a treat.  I'll check back in with my thoughts.

Could you perhaps scan the mastering credits and let us know if it makes mention of 'Mark Linett, Alan Boyd & Dennis Wolfe'?

Thanks

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
shmenge7372
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 26, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »

Pitchfork LOVES Smiley Smile. So, yeah, I agree very much with what you said.

@ shmenge7372, wait a second, you bought all of them?!

I bought all but Surfer Girl, Surf's Up, and Sunflower.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 26, 2012, 02:15:33 PM »

What time is it where you are? Can't you drive any faster? Could you drive, listen and post at the same time?  :-)

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #660 on: July 26, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »

Besides, "Career-Spanning Box Set" can mean many things.

Really ?  Where I come from - the English speaking part of the world - it means precisely one thing: the spanning of a career, which in this instance means 1961-2012. Which part of "career-spanning" appears ambiguous to you ?  Roll Eyes

The box is happening. The GH CD is happening. This is not arcane knowledge or just me whistling Dixie. If I'm wrong, call me on it... just like last time, and the time before that.  Cool
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:31:10 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 26, 2012, 02:30:16 PM »

Really ?  Where I come from - the English speaking part of the world - it means precisely one thing: the spanning of a career, which in this instance means 1961-2012. Which part of "career-spanning" appears ambiguous to you ?  Roll Eyes

Well, it could mean a box set similar to the Good Vibrations '93 box set, which pulls songs from every album mixed with archival releases, or a box set with each and every album newly re-mastered and packaged separately.  Both of which match your definition of career spanning.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #662 on: July 26, 2012, 02:34:49 PM »

Really ?  Where I come from - the English speaking part of the world - it means precisely one thing: the spanning of a career, which in this instance means 1961-2012. Which part of "career-spanning" appears ambiguous to you ?  Roll Eyes

Well, it could mean a box set similar to the Good Vibrations '93 box set, which pulls songs from every album mixed with archival releases, or a box set with each and every album newly re-mastered and packaged separately.  Both of which match your definition of career spanning.

So in the second case they'd remaster TWGMTR for the box ?  Grin

Anyway, almost certainly a moot point as I seriously doubt that's how the box will be comprised. For one thing, ca you imagine how much a box of 40-odd individually packaged CDs would cost ?

Me being picky: the 1993 box didn't pull songs from every album.  Old Man
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:38:04 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

PhilCohen
« Reply #663 on: July 26, 2012, 02:54:26 PM »

So some of you think that Capitol's reason for not releasing these discs outside Japan is because they think that they wouldn't sell.  Then, license these remixes and remasters to a reissue label. Labels such as Sundazed, Edsel, Iconoclassic or BGO would jump at the chance to have The Beach Boys remasters. These labels successfully make a go of it reissuing albums by obscure artists who never had a hit. By contrast, The Beach Boys were one of the most popular groups of their era. And they had hits....loads of them. These 4 albums that were recently remixed are each gold or platinum selling albums.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 26, 2012, 02:57:36 PM »

Me being picky: the 1993 box didn't pull songs from every album.  Old Man

They also put the Carl and the Passions material after the Holland material for some reason and didn't put California Dreamin' on disc four even through there was room.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: July 26, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »

These 4 albums that were recently remixed are each gold or platinum selling albums.

Neither Party ! nor Smiley Smile have been RIAA certified as gold, much less platinum.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 26, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »

Anyway, almost certainly a moot point as I seriously doubt that's how the box will be comprised. For one thing, can you imagine how much a box of 40-odd individually packaged CDs would cost ?

Just so we're clear here, is it your opinion that the 'career spanning box set' will be an "updated" version of the GV30 box?  That was my take away from the press release, all the way back in December.  

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
SBonilla
« Reply #667 on: July 26, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »

Then, license these remixes and remasters to a reissue label. Labels such as Sundazed, Edsel, Iconoclassic or BGO would jump at the chance...
to hurl itself over a fiscal cliff?  It's not feasible. Of course a  label would have to pay the licensing fee, but they would also have to pay for Capitol to manufacture the product and pay the mechanicals. All in advance. It would be a one way deal in Capitol's favor. Ain't gonna happen. And don't forget, you gotta pay your lawyers.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #668 on: July 26, 2012, 03:18:38 PM »

Anyway, almost certainly a moot point as I seriously doubt that's how the box will be comprised. For one thing, can you imagine how much a box of 40-odd individually packaged CDs would cost ?

Just so we're clear here, is it your opinion that the 'career spanning box set' will be an "updated" version of the GV30 box?  That was my take away from the press release, all the way back in December.  

Has to be, logically. Exactly how the years 1988-2012 will be represented is anyone's guess, but hopefully "LHRW" will be reinstated and the 'unreleased' tracks juggled a tad. Solo material ? I'd go for that. More live stuff... eh, not so much. We'll see before the year's out.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 26, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »

Really ?  Where I come from - the English speaking part of the world - it means precisely one thing: the spanning of a career, which in this instance means 1961-2012. Which part of "career-spanning" appears ambiguous to you ?  Roll Eyes

The box is happening. The GH CD is happening. This is not arcane knowledge or just me whistling Dixie. If I'm wrong, call me on it... just like last time, and the time before that.  Cool
It can mean something like the GV Box Set or something like the Beatles Mono and Stereo Box Sets. If I am thinking correctly boxing their albums made throughout their career is career spanning, no? I was not implying that they were not coming, just what  Career Spanning entailed.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 26, 2012, 03:37:32 PM »

Just so we're clear here, is it your opinion that the 'career spanning box set' will be an "updated" version of the GV30 box?  That was my take away from the press release, all the way back in December. 

Has to be, logically. Exactly how the years 1988-2012 will be represented is anyone's guess, but hopefully "LHRW" will be reinstated and the 'unreleased' tracks juggled a tad. Solo material ? I'd go for that. More live stuff... eh, not so much. We'll see before the year's out.
Not seeing your answer here prior to responding, I see your point with it not being the actual albums. Boxing that many albums would cost a small fortune.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 26, 2012, 03:46:53 PM »

I got Sunflower and Surf's Up, just cuz those are 2 of my favorites. I've listened to a little bit from both, and the sound is great.

Oddly enough, the photo on the back cover of Surf's Up is the classic five man lineup in like...1978. Don't have the case in front of me right now, but I think its this one:

And this is odd, because the Sunflower back cover's photo makes more sense.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 26, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »

All Summer Long samples are up:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Beach-Boys_000000000000485/item_All-Summer-Long_5103175
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 26, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »

Well, it could mean a box set similar to the Good Vibrations '93 box set, which pulls songs from every album mixed with archival releases, or a box set with each and every album newly re-mastered and packaged separately.  Both of which match your definition of career spanning.
Thank you, Zach. As you see above, it was exactly what I meant. Smiley I wasn't expecting such a snippy answer from AGD, you curmudgeon. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: July 26, 2012, 04:16:59 PM »

they have some of the other ones, definitely new stereo mixes !

SMILEY SMILE IN STEREO (inclincluding 'good vibrations'):

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Beach-Boys_000000000000485/item_Smiley-Smile_5103113
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:22:13 PM by DonnyL » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx