gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681095 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 09:22:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 573410 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: July 14, 2012, 07:59:17 PM »

So I haven't been a member here very long but I'm already getting the vibe that deviating one's opinion from the group's opinion isn't welcome? 

Usually everything is pretty relaxed, but the board tends to find itself a whipping boy from time to time to take out frustration on, which is why people will spend pages bitching about Phil Cohen when he isn't even actively posting in a thread.

Probably for good reason, who likes a Debbie Downer?

I don't think there's any chance that Capitol will not release something eventually.

Likewise.  I want to be patient but damn if it isn't tempting to get a couple of titles from Amazon Jp.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 14, 2012, 08:04:41 PM »

So I haven't been a member here very long but I'm already getting the vibe that deviating one's opinion from the group's opinion isn't welcome? 

It IS welcome...but be prepared for some heavy resistance if it's not a "correct" opinion.

I can understand ripping into people that are overly negative, no one likes a Debbie Downer.  But I was getting the feeling that some of that was directed at me and I'm not sure what I said that warranted it?

Don't take anything personally. I don't know why Fatheroftheman told you to "STFU" but I don't think he meant it. People just get excited around here.

Glad you're here though...Always nice to have new voices in the mix!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 14, 2012, 08:07:07 PM »

Does anyone know anything about the "Smiley Smile Maximus mix"?

I saw some info about it on a BB blog...I'd love to hear it!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jason
« Reply #453 on: July 14, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »

It IS welcome...but be prepared for some heavy resistance if it's not a "correct" opinion.

I can understand ripping into people that are overly negative, no one likes a Debbie Downer.  But I was getting the feeling that some of that was directed at me and I'm not sure what I said that warranted it?

I wouldn't take his comment personally. He approached it from the angle of "well, if they don't release it in the USA, they'll be on the 'internet' in 11 days..." meaning those who are crafty will find a way to get them. Smiley

We're a good bunch. As the Fish said, sometimes the board members find a whipping boy but that's just board life. However, there are some here, even regulars, who cannot take a dissenting opinion.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 14, 2012, 10:31:01 PM »

Final word on these remasters, just the truth.

As of now, no word on US releases or UK for that matter from Capitol/EMI
That doesn't mean they're not coming, just none yet.
For anyone who thinks not, stereo mixes now exist (apparently) for Smiley Smile, Today, and SD&SN,
On cd, and the Internet (as of the 25th.)
All in all, they exist, in today's world anything that exists can be bought from anywhere, if you really want it, price shouldn't matter. And if it does, you'll get it somehow.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 16, 2012, 07:42:25 AM »

Nonsense!!  Angry  What kind of opinion is that!?!  All opinions are welcome!!  Except that one.   LOL

Nah.... we're one big dysfunctional family.  I always remember, in the end, we're all koo-koo for coco-puffs here.  In this case "coco-puffs" is the Beach Boys.  And we're always looking for our next score.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 16, 2012, 08:10:10 AM »

Nonsense!!  Angry  What kind of opinion is that!?!  All opinions are welcome!!  Except that one.   LOL

Nah.... we're one big dysfunctional family.  I always remember, in the end, we're all koo-koo for coco-puffs here.  In this case "coco-puffs" is the Beach Boys.  And we're always looking for our next score.

I'm not dysfunctional. I;'m not koo-koo for coco-puffs. But I am deviant.

All views welcome and all freedoms respected. Helmets and gloves optional.  Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 16, 2012, 08:37:14 AM »

I'm not dysfunctional. I;'m not koo-koo for coco-puffs. But I am deviant.

All views welcome and all freedoms respected. Helmets and gloves optional.  Grin

Helmets are for pussies.  Look at me...I not helmet on.  I turned in good!!

anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 16, 2012, 09:16:05 AM »

The Japanese reissue market is unique, and often doesn't have anything to do with products released elsewhere in the world.  Unique remasters and reissue packages are produced exclusively for the Japanese market all the time.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: July 16, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »

I'm just saying that the wall of secrecy has descended, is all.

What date was "The SMiLE Sessions" officially announced by Capitol last year?

[Edit]Looks like it was on or around August 31st[Edit]

That said..  give it a few weeks before you start making a bucket list.

February/March 2011, actually.

I actually meant the full details of the release, not the initial statement by Al made in February.

Details were announced 3/11/11 by Capitol. Actual track listings some weeks later.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: July 16, 2012, 10:00:07 AM »

My strong impression, as stated before, is that Capitol Japan are acting on their own in this project. Hopefully the parent company will take note.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 16, 2012, 10:34:34 AM »

I'm just saying that the wall of secrecy has descended, is all.

What date was "The SMiLE Sessions" officially announced by Capitol last year?

[Edit]Looks like it was on or around August 31st[Edit]

That said..  give it a few weeks before you start making a bucket list.

February/March 2011, actually.

I actually meant the full details of the release, not the initial statement by Al made in February.

Details were announced 3/11/11 by Capitol. Actual track listings some weeks later.

Not quite Andrew. As somebody pointed out earlier in the thread, it wasn't announced 'til August I'm pretty sure. So I'm assuming hopefully within the next month or so we get news on the box set.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: July 16, 2012, 10:42:13 AM »

http://www.billboard.com/news/beach-boys-lost-smile-album-to-see-release-1005070202.story#/news/beach-boys-lost-smile-album-to-see-release-1005070202.story

http://www.examiner.com/article/official-smile-announcement-from-capitol-emi-records

You were saying ?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:44:10 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #463 on: July 16, 2012, 11:01:08 AM »

We shouldn't be discussing the remasters at all. If Capitol finds out we're talking about it before the official press release they will pull the plug on the whole project, just like they did with the Smile box.

At least that's what Steve Hoffman told me.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 16, 2012, 11:03:28 AM »

Argh. I know they announced the release of SMiLE earlier in the year, but the actually tracklistings didn't come 'til August.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: July 16, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »

My strong impression, as stated before, is that Capitol Japan are acting on their own in this project. Hopefully the parent company will take note.

Much as I like to be optimistic about this kind of thing, I believe you're on the mark. As posted earlier:

Original, and goole translation:

8月にブライアン・ウィルソン参加としては33年ぶりの来日公演を行なうビーチ・ボーイズ(The Beach Boys)の来日を記念して、彼らのオリジナル名盤12タイトルの最新デジタル・リマスタリング・シリーズが7月25日に発売されることが決定! これらはすべて日本盤のみの発売となります。

Brian Wilson as participation to commemorate the visit to Japan (The Beach Boys), the digital re-mastering the latest series of 12 titles they board the original name of the Beach Boys performances in Japan for the first time in 33 years in August decision that will be released on July 25! These will be released of all Japanese release only.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: July 16, 2012, 11:10:08 AM »

Like I said, but the details of the release - the formats - were made public in mid-March.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: July 16, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »

We shouldn't be discussing the remasters at all. If Capitol finds out we're talking about it before the official press release they will pull the plug on the whole project, just like they did with the Smile box.

True, dat.  Grin

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 16, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »

Believe me, I trust Andrew in what he says. On the other hand, Toshiba-EMI have done other releases that were Japan only, but except for artwork and the such, they always used pre-existing audio transfers. In this case though, these are supposedly all-new remasters and remixes from Mark, Alan & Dennis. Seems like EMI went to great cost to do this just for Japan. Just hoping something is in the works for later down the line.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 16, 2012, 11:19:03 AM »

True, dat.  Grin

Should we self-impose a Hoff of Silence?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 16, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »

True, dat.  Grin

LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 16, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »

A bunch of Van Morrison albums got the exclusive Japanese SHM CD treatment, Astral Weeks included which sounds incredible (I downloaded it illegally)

If that is anything to go by this is exclusive to Japan, possibly to celebrate their tour over there and his nothing to do with any future box sets etc

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 16, 2012, 01:03:12 PM »

True, dat.  Grin

Don't mess with the Hoff.  Roll Eyes Razz

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 16, 2012, 01:05:58 PM »

Like I said, but the details of the release - the formats - were made public in mid-March.

Right on.  When I said August..I was referring to the 'details about the release' stories...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/aug/31/beach-boys-announce-smile-release

Should have clarified. 

Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 17, 2012, 07:40:42 AM »

What exactly are people expecting from more remasters of discs that have been remastered and released numerous times already? I get the stereo versions if none officially exists thing but what else am I missing? The only disc I own that sounds inferior is the 1990 Today/Summer Days 2-fer, primarily because Today sounds muddy as it always has so how would that get fixed by another remaster? I thought it was the original mix that's inferior and was under the impression it can't be altered. I'm not saying it wouldn't, I'm just trying to understand why so many people seem excited and eager to spend even more money on the same stuff again and again.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx