gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681095 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 09:16:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 573410 times)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2012, 12:59:16 PM »

Could be Ziggy!  I can see them consolidating all the bonus tracks into one bonus disk only available if you buy the big box set.  Perhaps even adding a brand new disc of never before heard stuff.  That's a popular sneaky move that many of these companies like to do!

I sure hope so man, i hope.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »

What doesn't make sense is that Capitol (and especially Alan and Mark) know that a stereo WILD HONEY would be a better seller than something like PARTY - a stereo WILD HONEY has even been alluded to in interviews as something that was being considered.

I don't see a work-around for the non-availability of isolated "Good Vibrations" vocal tracks. Perhaps they will go the electronically-isolated route to create a fake stereo mix or just keep the track mono.

It's quite possible that the "stereo" version of the albums will actually be bonus tracks of new stereo re-mixes when possible, meaning that all mono tracks may not have corresponding stereo tracks.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:03:10 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2012, 01:06:32 PM »

If i were you i wouldn't freak out that much, it isn't officially announced yet, prehaps Friends, Wild Honey, 20/20 will come along with the other 70's albums.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »

What doesn't make sense is that Capitol (and especially Alan and Mark) know that a stereo WILD HONEY would be a better seller than something like PARTY - a stereo WILD HONEY has even been alluded to in interviews as something that was being considered.

I don't see a work-around for the non-availability of isolated "Good Vibrations" vocal tracks. Perhaps they will go the electronically-isolated route to create a fake stereo mix or just keep the track mono.

It's quite possible that the "stereo" version of the albums will actually be bonus tracks of new stereo re-mixes when possible, meaning that all mono tracks may not have corresponding stereo tracks.

Didn't they find Surf's Up '67 while cataloging/working on a stereo version of Wild Honey? I'm sure it'll come out, it just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't do it in this batch.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2012, 01:12:46 PM »

Didn't they find Surf's Up '67 while cataloging/working on a stereo version of Wild Honey? I'm sure it'll come out, it just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't do it in this batch.

Right - that was one of the things I heard as well.

I'm not freaking out either - I'm implying that we don't have the full story yet because I feel pretty certain that WILD HONEY would be among the top three or four discs to receive a stereo treatment if Capitol is going this route.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »

Right - that was one of the things I heard as well.

I'm not freaking out either - I'm implying that we don't have the full story yet because I feel pretty certain that WILD HONEY would be among the top three or four discs to receive a stereo treatment if Capitol is going this route.

Heh i was just kidding around, i know how you feel  Kiss
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »

Could be Ziggy!  I can see them consolidating all the bonus tracks into one bonus disk only available if you buy the big box set.  Perhaps even adding a brand new disc of never before heard stuff.  That's a popular sneaky move that many of these companies like to do!

Forgive me if I've missed it, but is there indeed a box set of these albums coming out? I haven't seen that. I'm still under the impression that the "box set" that is coming out later this year will be filled with some of their best material along with unreleased songs and rarities. But maybe I'm wrong.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »

Nope, no official word on the box set...just healthy speculation by some excited/optimistic fans Cool
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2012, 02:01:28 PM »

What does it mean that Sunflower and Surf's Up show a 2009 remaster date?  They are already remastered?

Also, I'd replace Party and All Summer Long with Friends, Wild Honey and 20/20.  No way (no FREAKING way) should Friends, Wild Honey and 20/20 be left out!

Old Man Old Man

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »

What does it mean that Sunflower and Surf's Up show a 2009 remaster date?  They are already remastered?

Also, I'd replace Party and All Summer Long with Friends, Wild Honey and 20/20.  No way (no FREAKING way) should Friends, Wild Honey and 20/20 be left out!

Old Man Old Man

Maybe from when the vinyl was released?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »

Vinyl reissues, yes. Also did you guys notice Surfin Safari isn't listed with the other reissues? No stereo version possible?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »

Vinyl reissues, yes. Also did you guys notice Surfin Safari isn't listed with the other reissues? No stereo version possible?

Most of it was recorded on a three-track I believe. Dunno whether the tapes are still there. Stuff like Surfin' has to be mono-only, though.

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »

If these are coming out in a month, then yes, they've already been remastered.  Plus, "Sunflower" and "Surf's Up" were remastered for their 2-fer 10-11 years ago.

What is with all the crying here about titles being left out?  TWGMTR is their 28th album or so.. Can you really not conceive of a second of third batch?  How much sense would it make to put out 28 albums at once?  Or all the best titles in the first batch?  You guys should take a marketing course and calm the hell down.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »

If we can expect them in waves then I suppose we should hold off on expecting these remasters to be packaged in a nice box set anytime soon.  No doubt they'll offer that to us after they've all been released.  There's no way to tell if it'll happen at all ...maybe they'll only release this first batch, gauge the response and that will decide if they release more...or maybe they'll do what the Stones did during their reissue program a few years ago: release the first batch and also start selling the box that will eventually house all the disks also.  As the remasters are released, you fill the box with the new CDs.  It's a clunky idea but it's been done.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:19:10 PM by Justin » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2012, 03:24:24 PM »

Hopefully the CDs will have new liner notes

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »

Hopefully the CDs will have new liner notes

Hoping AGD might chip in here...

“We live in divisive times.”
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2012, 03:44:19 PM »

If we can expect them in waves then I suppose we should hold off on expecting these remasters to be packaged in a nice box set anytime soon.  No doubt they'll offer that to us after they've all been released.  There's no way to tell if it'll happen at all ...maybe they'll only release this first batch, gauge the response and that will decide if they release more...or maybe they'll do what the Stones did during their reissue program a few years ago: release the first batch and also start selling the box that will eventually house all the disks also.  As the remasters are released, you fill the box with the new CDs.  It's a clunky idea but it's been done.

It's a clunky idea for sure and from the standpoint of wanting to make a profit probably not a very good one although as you mentioned The Rolling Stones and even The Beatles (back in 1987) set a precedent as far as releasing their back catalog this way.  The thing that would confuse the heck out of me if they were choosing to go this route, why not issue everything chronologically.  Have a sixties box set, a seventies box set and an eighties and beyond box set. 

Note: I'm not mentioning anything regarding diminishing returns as far as sales go as the decades progress but that would obviously be an issue with this band whether we'd like to admit it or not.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
SG7
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2012, 03:58:10 PM »

I see one too many gaps here to be worth it.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »

I see one too many gaps here to be worth it.

LOL Seriously?
We're getting like five new-to-CD mono mixes, and the complete Today! and Summer Days in stereo for the first time. I'd say it's worth it....

(edit: and Smiley Smile in stereo!)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:08:34 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

virsago
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »

My only hang-up is that for some of the albums, aren't faithful stereo mixes somewhat impossible?  Some songs from T! and SD(ASN!!) are missing overdubs/had elements recorded live during mixdown, didn't they?  I think the underwhelming stereo mix of She Knows Me Too Well on the Capitol Years box set is proof of this.  Hopefully they manage to make it all work.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2012, 05:11:36 PM »

These are not coming to the U.S. or Europe.

Nothing to see here.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2012, 05:13:13 PM »

Nothing to see here.

what made you think so?
Jason
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »

Nothing to see here.

Source?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2012, 05:38:41 PM »

Nothing to see here.

Ah there it is! What took you so long?  LOL
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2012, 05:40:22 PM »

Nothing to see here.

Just wanted to quote you like the others.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx