gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 11:14:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Pile Up In California  (Read 64639 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »

Honestly -- if a move hasn't been made to change the licensing agreement by NOW -- it won't.
THAT is kicking a hornet's nest. NOBODY wants that mess in their lives. As vengeful as these people can get -- nobody wants that.

The main fact is that even if moves were taken to change the license -- this thing would be in litigation for so long that it would be a bunch of 60-plus year-old heirs awaiting a final judgement (and not even it would be settled immediately)

This is key, and also is important to keep in mind when others point out "all it would take is a 3 to 1 vote against Mike to pull the license."

My guess is that even if Brian, Al, and Carl's estate were all on PRECISELY the same page and called a vote to strip the license (regardless of what they then did with the license), injunctions and lawsuits would fly perhaps more than we've ever seen with the BB's universe. There are all sorts of legal arguments that could be made at that stage. As Howie says, regardless of the outcome, it could be tied up for YEARS, and the messy nature of how these guys would undertake touring in the meantime would make 1999 seem like nothing. From a PR standpoint, it would just reflect even more poorly on all of them. As it stands now, Mike will go down in the record books as the guy who took the ball and went home.

I said in my previous post that Al may well be the only one would pursue such a vote. But the more I think about it (and probably one of the things that would frustrate someone in his position), Al probably knows all of this as well, or hopefully has lawyers who would tell him if this were the case. So even he probably wouldn't do it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
halblaineisgood
« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:08:36 AM by G-8 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »

I'd rather get fisted by Freddy Krueger than hear the song again. I'd rather bathe in sulfuric acid than hear it . I'd rather tie jumper cables to my balls than hear that song again. I'd rather...okay you get the point. LOL

What I think would be interesting would be, in about ten years, to track down the cheerleaders from the 90's and have them do a "30th Anniversary" cheerleading presentation fronting whatever the Beach Boys are composed of at that stage.

But seriously, Brian and Al and Carl's estate need to get something pushed through BRI right now ensuring John Stamos can never be assigned the license. Unless Nelson Bragg is in the band..... and Ernie Knapp.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: October 02, 2014, 11:56:41 AM »

Hey...enough of that hal...not cool.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 02, 2014, 12:00:18 PM »

The ironic thing (as Stebbins first posted) is that 15 years after all the BBFF mess -- it's the junior member Alan Jardine who is the person that adds the validity to any camp he chooses to play with.

You put Al there next to either one of the two principles -- it's starts feeling a whole lot like "The Beach Boys."
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2014, 12:26:43 PM »

Why did Brian give a big FU to Dave by bringing him in and then burying him in Beck? I bet that is why Dave is giving a big FU to Brian by playing some dates with Mike.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:27:53 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2014, 12:58:16 PM »

Al does the opposite to a FU and actually praises Mikes band here. BTW. This story says new BW album due early December.

http://www.modbee.com/2014/10/02/3569033_brian-wilson-al-jardine-bring.html?sp=/99/2628/&rh=1

Still, he praised Love’s current band, which includes longtime contributing member Bruce Johnston and carries on under the Beach Boys moniker. And he said he understands Love’s reasoning, even if he doesn’t agree.

“It’s like being divorced and you have a new family. Will you go back to your old family and live with them? No. I imagine that’s what happened for (Mike),” Jardine said.

“Mike has a wonderful band and great guys. But it’s a reasonable facsimile. You want the real thing, don’t you? Why settle for anything less than the best? I think the fans deserve to have the authentic representation of the music.”

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2014, 01:00:52 PM »

Why did Brian give a big FU to Dave by bringing him in and then burying him in Beck? I bet that is why Dave is giving a big FU to Brian by playing some dates with Mike.

I know your post was sarcastic, but I'll just say that Dave's the one bandmate who seems to indisputably not give FUs to anyone. He is simply underutilized often, head-scratchingly so.  

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »

I don't get the stuff about when Mike is 'done' and who gets the license after.  If he quits for good, or is stripped of the license and doesn't want to join with the others for a reunion, then that's it, no?  In a touring sense, he brings more authenticity than any of the others.  No Mike Love=not the Beach Boys.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »

Yea! I bet Mike gives FU to Brian by making billions by touring and singing songs Brian wrote. Same time he gives FU to Dennis and laughs every night thinking about him. Brian gives FU to Mike by singing California Girls and claiming in some old tv-clip that he wrote the lyrics. Plus he has three hot ladies on his new record, which pisses Mike off, 'cause he's the Lovester. Dave gives FUs to everyone, except Al, who gives FU to Mike but not to Brian because he has done that enough in the past. Bruce gives FU to Obama because he has more money than Bruce. Bruce gives also FU to members of this board, 'cause nobody wanted to take a bath with him.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2014, 02:02:03 PM »

I'd rather get fisted by Freddy Krueger than hear the song again. I'd rather tie jumper cables to my balls than hear that song again.

Grin
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:01:27 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »

I'd take a bath with Bruce if the tub was large enough so we didn't have to touch.

No Carl Wilson=not The Beach Boys (but that's just me)

I hope Brian does get Al, David and Blondie back for another tour in the future. It was great seeing that group on stage and I'd love to see that same group doing a full set of songs.

As is everything with The Beach Boys, this whole situation is just sad. Very few bands are lucky enough to get a resurgence like The Beach Boys did with their C50. Playing the Grammys, having a successful tour and a new album of material go to #3. From playing fairgrounds and racetracks for decades to that is pretty incredible. I understand that the tour was a "one time only" deal but when Brian wanted to do another Beach Boys album and keep the reunited group going, it should have happened. You could have kept up the group in the spotlight, had a new album and tour, Brian's movie and even had a 50th anniversary Pet Sounds tour. Talk about a band (that was washed up to the general public) really coming back at 100% and having a tremendous final chapter. Unfortunately, there are too many egos, wives and bs for something like that to ever happen.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2014, 02:30:15 PM »

Some legal contracts are meant to be broken, or least re-examined.

So, it is agreed and understood that Mike Love is the one person/one vote who is preventing the group from realizing all of the potential/wishes/dreams that the band and the fans have for the future. But your real frustration is that Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, and Carl Wilson's Estate are not doing enough (anything?) through their attorneys to - as you wrote above - break or at least re-examine the contracts? Please, and seriously, if any insiders or honored guests have any knowledge or information that meetings are being held and negotiating is being done to change the licensing, I would like to read about it.  

While there might be other factors that we're not privy to, I'm specifically discussing my frustration with Mike's part in this fiasco. I'm talking about how some people do (or don't) pass judgment on the whole "set end date" stuff, and why that is. I'm willing to acknowledge there may be other people/situations that have allowed the situation to transpire the way it did, but Mike's role is what I'm referring to.

Thank you for your honesty. And, it has reached that point, the point where you and many others are now. Posters know that things likely won't change; Mike is happy and the others won't act. Yet pages and pages are devoted to discussing it. Why? To vent frustration with Mike Love, but mostly to vilify him.  That's really what this discussion is about, and most other threads for that matter. But that's OK; I'm certainly not telling anyone what they can or cannot discuss. I mean, nobody is making me respond...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:20:04 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2014, 03:24:59 PM »

Yea! I bet Mike gives FU to Brian by making billions by touring and singing songs Brian wrote. Same time he gives FU to Dennis and laughs every night thinking about him. Brian gives FU to Mike by singing California Girls and claiming in some old tv-clip that he wrote the lyrics. Plus he has three hot ladies on his new record, which pisses Mike off, 'cause he's the Lovester. Dave gives FUs to everyone, except Al, who gives FU to Mike but not to Brian because he has done that enough in the past. Bruce gives FU to Obama because he has more money than Bruce. Bruce gives also FU to members of this board, 'cause nobody wanted to take a bath with him.

Exactly, and Al just gave Brian a "big FU" by praising Mike's band. Everything is a "big FU" to somebody somehow.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Nicko1234
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »

Dove Nested Towers nailed it.
Absolutely nailed it.
It's like that old political ad (". . . in your heart you KNOW he's right.")

If Brian wants in, you do whatever it takes to keep Brian. Period.
You don't dig his wife -- tough, this is bigger than that -- you make it work.
This is NOT a Landy situation that Mike is dealing with and/or rejecting by exercising the terms of the license.
This is Mike Love not wanting a partner, which to him means nothing less than having an employer.
And honestly it's been far easier for him over the years to talk lovingly and reverentially about "Cousin Brian" than it has to actually BE with him. (The same goes for Yoko Ono, too.) I went to a Mike show once with a non-fan and they said, "Brian's dead, right?" Not because Mike mentioned cancer or drowning -- but because that's how it's put across. The vibe reads "Miss him. Wish he was still among us."

To be fair to Mike, Brian comes with a lot of baggage. On every level. But, when it's Brian Wilson and he's SANE -- and you're already SO F***CKING RICH off this thing after 130 years -- you acquiesce. You be The Beach Boys with him. You end this thing with him.

But aside from US, without the actual band, the Mike shows are people seeing an ad in the back of the newspaper -- or on a big board on a highway -- and saying: "Beach Boys -- we LOVE Motown!!! Let's go!!!"

And that's the TRUTH.

No matter how friendly one thinks they may be with Mike after the show (or whatever Bruce they get on any given day) -- that's the TRUTH.
It's the fanciest Dean Torrence show on the planet.

In terms of the Rock press/media -- who was salivating to embrace Mike during the 50th (Beatles buddy/TM/Wilson's Hal David -- the angles were endless. . . .) -- he is back to January '88 status. IF THAT. A shame -- because he deserves better. He deserves everything. His EGO went before the brand.

You wanna be Otis Williams -- okay, you're Otis Williams.

I only wish BriMel could've snagged Totten and Cowsill for THEIR band when Mike and Jeff were pursuing one another (organically and entirely by coincidence at the same time, of course.)

Isn`t this all getting ridiculously childish?

If anybody posted that they want Mike to try to start stealing away Darian, Probyn, Scott B or whoever they would rightly be slammed for their infantile behaviour. The same surely applies here.
Nicko1234
« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2014, 03:41:11 PM »

Honestly -- if a move hasn't been made to change the licensing agreement by NOW -- it won't.
THAT is kicking a hornet's nest. NOBODY wants that mess in their lives. As vengeful as these people can get -- nobody wants that.
Although BADB was a bold move and and absolute f*** you to Mike -- it fell apart as soon as it came together.
Whatever chemistry that thing had was spoiled by having Jeff Beck bust into that show like Kool Aid and eat up all of David's guitar solos.
(Absurdly and for no reason).

I'm digressing. The main fact is that even if moves were taken to change the license -- this thing would be in litigation for so long that it would be a bunch of 60-plus year-old heirs awaiting a final judgement (and not even it would be settled immediately)

A more interesting question is -- who gets the license when Mike is done?

I would love it to be Matt & Billy.

Right so for Mike and Bruce (2 genuine Beach Boys) to tour as The Beach Boys is wrong but for Matt and Billy you would `love it`?

Something tells me they wouldn`t be playing the Olympics either...
Nicko1234
« Reply #191 on: October 02, 2014, 03:56:00 PM »

Right. And some folks think it's a shitty state of affairs and Mike Love and his "brilliant lawyers" are to blame slightly more than Carl Wilson's family. I don't recall their greed and lust for money/credit/power dragging Brian Wilson and Al Jardine into court numerous times over the decades in endless, excruciatingly expensive legal gambits that maybe men in their 70s don't have the stomach to endure again. So the status quo is maintained and Alan complains in interviews. Brian does his Brian thing.

But yeah, this is totally about Carl Wilson's family being greedy and horrible to their own family and Mike Love is fresh, pure, and able to levitate if he concentrates really really hard.

No amount of "set end date" or citing of contracts will ever stop the guy from being mocked mercilessly in comments sections, tho. Even if we clone 500 AGDs and set them loose to painstakingly correct the record and you know it!  He won and got his way with the license but he doesn't have to just give a percentage... he also loses a big chunk of respect in the eyes of more than a few people. No amount of money will ever buy that back for him! You can say who cares, he's rich and enjoys the good life... but cmon, listen to him in interviews. He comes off as so desperate for recognition and approval. I can't believe it doesn't occur to him that he sh*t the bed big-time with his graceless C50 exit just when his press started being actually POSITIVE for the first time in decades.

It's seems a bit of a shame, really. Would've been nice for him to join his cousin for the last act instead of whining about being in a room together and snidely bringing up his prescription drug treatment. A typically classy move from Mr Positivity!

Has anyone said that Carl`s family were greedy and horrible? Another case of:

Person A: "Grey isn`t black."
Person B: "Oh, so you`re saying it`s white are you???"

The bottom line is that Mike didn`t need brilliant lawyers to be granted a license to tour as The Beach Boys. He had the majority vote. Al didn`t as he didn`t want to pay what BRI were demanding. Al didn`t have a leg to stand on.

There is no reason for Carl`s estate to vote against Mike as they are still getting a nice income from doing nothing. Nothing greedy about that. Just common sense.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 02, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »

Nicko I wish two things.

I wish you didn't have such a hard on regarding me (I don't know what your deal is -- your issues are yours not mine).
I also wish you had the ability of deduction. Thousands of posts not a lot of traction there, my friend.

"Done" = "Dead."
The licensing brand will continue.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: October 02, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »

Good way for a reunion to happen again...if it about money....

Get rid of Bruce!

Show would still sound about the same.

Kidding.   I think...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 02, 2014, 04:05:26 PM »

Have Billy c. replace Bruce. Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: October 02, 2014, 04:06:40 PM »

Nicko I wish two things.

I wish you didn't have such a hard on regarding me (I don't know what your deal is -- your issues are yours not mine).
I also wish you had the ability of deduction. Thousands of posts not a lot of traction there, my friend.

"Done" = "Dead."

Howie,

I normally agree with you, but in this case...Nicko is right for calling you out on the Matt and Billy thing. Unless you were joking, that is.

Nicko1234
« Reply #196 on: October 02, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »

Nicko I wish two things.

"Done" = "Dead."

I have an issue with some of the stuff that you have posted. Nothing to do with you personally obviously as I have never met you.

Since you posted that off topic rant in the Jeff thread about Al not being allowed to tour as BB F&F you have made a number of posts that I don`t entirely agree with. Now I know you were communicating with Al at that time (from what you said on here anyway) about the rarities gig he was doing (kudos for your involvement in that btw) and so I presume you have some personal reason for being anti-Mike Love.

Nothing wrong with that at all but I personally think it has meant that a lot of your posts are being written from the heart rather than the head which leads to exaggeration and inaccuracies. Dark grey being described as black as it were.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: October 02, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »

Have Billy c. replace Bruce. Grin

Hey, I'm cheaper, younger, better looking, and most of the band likes me already!

LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 02, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »

Do you have a collection of tommy Bahama clothes? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 02, 2014, 04:30:51 PM »

Salmon -- I don't understand what your issue is.
When and if Mike Love is rendered incapable of carrying the license (approximately the same time and age that ALL the BB's will in effect also be retiring due to similar circumstances), you have an issue with the license being granted to Matt Jardine and Billy Hinsche acting as bandleader?
I needed to be "called out" for that statement?

And is THAT was Nicko was calling me out about?
(Nicko has issues with everything -- the opinions, the facts, knowing something he doesn't. "Prove it!" "Prove it" -- we all knew guys like that growing up, right? It ends with you walking away.)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx