gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680995 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 08:00:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Beatles Songs :/  (Read 39853 times)
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 31, 2014, 11:52:17 PM »

Yes It Is

Wow, man, I think that is one of the most passionate lead vocals Lennon ever did. A true soaring statement of pride and an excellent predecessor to the ferocious I Want You (She's So Heavy).

That's nice, but I think the lyrics are stupid and they had already done what they were trying to here better with This Boy.
Passionate vocals do not always turn something into a great song.
 While I'll acknowledge that Mr. Moonlight is another example of Lennon's  passionate vocals, that doesn't mean I like it more than the other  songs I put on my Beatles worst of list.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2014, 12:38:32 AM »

Bluejay way
zachrwolfe
« Reply #177 on: February 01, 2014, 01:05:59 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:26:56 PM by zatch » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2014, 01:15:45 AM »

Love Me Do
Do You Want To Know A Secret
When I Get Home
Mr. Moonlight
Yes It Is
Run For Your Life
Bungalow Bill
Piggies
Dig A Pony
Maggie Mae

all their other stuff (not including Anthology nonsense) is pretty good.

Disagree with most of these. Only agree with Love Me Do and Maggie Mae. Run For Your Life, Mr. Moonlight and Dig A Pony are actually favourites of mine. The rest are just OK, but not terrible.

Which Beatles songs are your least favourite?

I don't really dislike very many, to be honest. Here are some:

Love Me Do
Maggie Mae
Good Morning
Dr. Robert
All Together Now
The Word
Why Don't We Do It In The Road
Can You Take Me Back
Bad Boy

What's so bad about Love Me Do? For their first single it's quite good, and it has a memorable harmonica riff!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »

There is no such thing as a bad Beatles song.  Not every song is great of course but I couldn't name you one Beatles song I didn't like.

RockNSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2014, 11:03:39 AM »

There is no such thing as a bad Beatles song.  Not every song is great of course but I couldn't name you one Beatles song I didn't like.

This. For me, I guess most of their really early stuff from Please Please Me for instance isn't as great as their later stuff, but even those songs are pretty darn good.

I just thought that Revolution #9 was just trippy and weird when I first listened to it, but now I think it's at least a unique experiment.

These categorizations might work If it was 1963 and we were all a bunch of 12 year old girls clutching tear soaked pictures of our favourite beach boy.

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 05, 2014, 02:10:54 PM »

I don't really like yellow submarine  Undecided

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #182 on: February 05, 2014, 02:15:11 PM »

Same. It's Ringo's most overrated song!
The movie I should give another chance, I watched it when I was younger and I hated it, not realizing that it was psychedelic
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 05, 2014, 02:22:53 PM »

The movie I should give another chance, I watched it when I was younger and I hated it, not realizing that it was psychedelic

I tried watchin Hard Day's Night when I was younger too and didn't get it.  Then last year I watched Herman Hermit's Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter movie and was bored out of my mind  LOL (as much as I love Peter Noone).  I guess the only movies like that I will get are the beach movies except Girls On the Beach was horrible (excluding the BBs and Leslie Gore)  Undecided

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #184 on: February 05, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »

I tried watchin Hard Day's Night when I was younger too and didn't get it.  Then last year I watched Herman Hermit's Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter movie and was bored out of my mind  LOL (as much as I love Peter Noone).  I guess the only movies like that I will get are the beach movies except Girls On the Beach was horrible (excluding the BBs and Leslie Gore)  Undecided

I found A Hard Day's Night a bit boring, it's another film I should give another chance.
Help! is by far the best Beatles film, if you haven't seen it you should give it a chance. Magical Mystery Tour isn't too bad, but it hasn't aged well at all. And I can't judge for Let It Be as you can't watch it anywhere  Undecided
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 05, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »

I found A Hard Day's Night a bit boring, it's another film I should give another chance.
Help! is by far the best Beatles film, if you haven't seen it you should give it a chance. Magical Mystery Tour isn't too bad, but it hasn't aged well at all. And I can't judge for Let It Be as you can't watch it anywhere  Undecided

Yea I'll give it another try, since I'm older now I might be able to understand it.  unfortunately that was the first and last Beatles film I ever saw, right now I'm more of a beach movie person  Smiley

-Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2014, 03:22:43 PM »

My take:

A Hard Day's Night is great fun full of witty humor... but the editing/pacing is definitely slow by today's standards.

Help! is fun. Has it's moments. But on the whole I thought it was less artful/witty than it's predecessor.

Magical Mystery Tour is strange, witty, exciting, at times boring - Flying, I am looking at you, and full of interesting little bits and characters.

Yellow Submarine is a classic. Perfect - perfect - perfect.

Let It Be (I have seen it) is dreary. Very hard to sit through if you aren't a beatle freak like I was.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 05, 2014, 04:36:53 PM »

"Beatles For Sale" is really a quite shockingly crappy album overall. It boasts a few of their all-time best songs but too much goofy stuff and lame covers in-between, And I'm a huge early Beatles lover!

People always say that where The Beatles have the Beach Boys trumped is in their early days where it was a bunch of junk until Pet Sounds with The Boys and classic after classic with The Beatles..... "For Sale" is easily miles worse than any early Beach Boys album.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #188 on: February 05, 2014, 08:22:46 PM »

"Beatles For Sale" is really a quite shockingly crappy album overall. It boasts a few of their all-time best songs but too much goofy stuff and lame covers in-between, And I'm a huge early Beatles lover!

People always say that where The Beatles have the Beach Boys trumped is in their early days where it was a bunch of junk until Pet Sounds with The Boys and classic after classic with The Beatles..... "For Sale" is easily miles worse than any early Beach Boys album.

Everything that is except Party!
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 05, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »

Agree with this. BFS has about 3-4 good songs and the rest are throwaways. Maybe they knew that and that's why they called it Beatles For Sale, it was just an album they cranked out cuz the record company wanted more sales.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:40:57 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2014, 07:34:31 AM »

Beatles for Sale isn't important because of what it is, rather for the direction it was pointing in. If you listen to the production, it's is VERY different from previous Beatles albums. The sound is warmer and far more intimate. That is (to me) why it is an important album.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2014, 02:53:44 PM »

Very good point!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2014, 09:11:07 PM »

I'm horrible on a thread like this, I'm an old-school Beatles fan and can honestly say I like almost all of their songs.  The only few I don't listen to are the ones that to me are a little out there, like "Within You, Without You" I've probably only heard 5 times in my life. 

"Beatles For Sale" is great.  When I was in high school, I finally discovered the Beatles, and I didn't have a lot of money so I would buy a new cd every few weeks.  I wasn't familiar with all their stuff, only a few of the singles I'd heard since I was a kid... so I can distinctly remember buying "Beatles For Sale" and just loving it!  What's not to love?  An entire album of songs I hadn't heard before. 

I may be biased, though... I was fortunate enough to buy that record, and all the Beatles records, at a point in my life where I had good friends, was in love, enjoying life, having a great time each and every day... so the music has a lot of great good memories for me. 

So a few songs mentioned above:

Love Me Do - I guess maybe some don't like it because of Paul's quivering vocal?  It's such a standard, I don't know why anybody wouldn't enjoy it.  Please Please Me is light years better but still: it's their first song!  How can you not like that?

Do You Want To Know A Secret - great song.  Always liked it.

When I Get Home - I'd halfheartedly agree, it's not a great song but I like the melody. 

Mr. Moonlight - a particular favorite of my friends and I when we first heard it.  We thought it was awesome, what an intro.

Yes It Is - I absolutely love this style of song that they would do, so creative imho.  Beautiful!

Run For Your Life - not a huge fan of this one, but again I won't skip it if I heard it on the radio. That's the End A.  Little Girl.

Bungalow Bill - It's the fucking white album, of course it's weird.  Hey Oh!

Piggies - great song.  One of my favorites on the white album.  Plus it's a George song, you can't dismiss any of the George songs because there's so few of them, and we've already dismissed Within You Without You, and the Inner Light.

Dig A Pony - I actually liked this song, I know there's nothing to it, but the stupidity of it I really enjoyed.  It's just so fucking stupid, and they were the biggest thing ever, and this is what they choose to do... and it was STILL successful.  I just like the whole "I'll do whatever I want" nature of it

Maggie Mae - Not a huge fan.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »

Revolution 9 hands down!  Bow

You know the little sample that repeats of the british guy going "Numba Nine..  Numba Nine.  "

So when I was a teenager, I worked at a grocery store.  So my friends and I work the front line, and like everywhere else in life we're looking for hot chicks... so if a hot chick came in, you couldn't say "Look! A hot chick!  Wearing a skirt!" so we came up with the idea to say "Numba Nine.... Numba Nine..." which was code word for "A Hot chick Is nearby". 

That's one measure of immaturity I'll probably never outgrow. 

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: February 06, 2014, 09:56:03 PM »

sh*t, I really dig 'Flying'.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2014, 10:01:48 PM »

I like Flying.
In fact, I might as well say this: Magical Mystery Tour is my favourite Beatles album!

You know the little sample that repeats of the british guy going "Numba Nine..  Numba Nine.  "

So when I was a teenager, I worked at a grocery store.  So my friends and I work the front line, and like everywhere else in life we're looking for hot chicks... so if a hot chick came in, you couldn't say "Look! A hot chick!  Wearing a skirt!" so we came up with the idea to say "Numba Nine.... Numba Nine..." which was code word for "A Hot chick Is nearby". 

Interesting. Not a bad idea at all...
Still, I promised myself never to listen to that cursed song again!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2014, 10:31:09 PM »

I like Flying.
In fact, I might as well say this: Magical Mystery Tour is my favourite Beatles album!

Interesting. Not a bad idea at all...
Still, I promised myself never to listen to that cursed song again!

Revolution 9 might be crap but it fits perfectly on the White Album, and anyone who's ever used The White Album as their personal soundtrack while reading Helter Skelter knows the whole other dimension the track takes on.....
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2014, 07:30:56 AM »

Yeah me too... it's just the most boring part of MMT (the movie).  Grin
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 07, 2014, 09:16:33 AM »

What's everybody think about Your Mother Should Know?  I really like it, it's schmoozy and your typical Paul thing, but it's juuuussssttt enough that it's really good.  Kind of like Uncle Albert, it's very Paulish and you roll your eyes, but it's pretty damn good because he doesn't go overboard. 
zachrwolfe
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2014, 09:12:04 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:26:11 PM by zatch » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx