gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 07:17:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations 50th Anniversary global commemorative release announced  (Read 14717 times)
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2016, 02:34:45 AM »

Tucked away at the bottom of the PS 50th anniversary blurb on TheBeachBoys.com (News) was this little announcement:

"This year also marks the 50th anniversary of one of popular music’s most iconic singles of all time, The Beach Boys’ “Good Vibrations.” The Beach Boys and Capitol/UMe will celebrate “Good Vibrations” with a global commemorative release this fall".

News, speculation and eventual reviews welcome here - come as you are.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 02:54:09 AM »

Two other iconic singles that also got the 50 year treatment. GV may go down the same route.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beatles-to-release-50th-anniversary-single-of-love-me-do/

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-rolling-stones-satisfaction-50th-anniversary-12-inch/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:23:35 AM »

Can't imagine any release would be very exciting. They did a 40th anniversary multi-track CD single in 2006. So it would probably be something like that, or maybe just some vinyl release since vinyl is so trendy right now.

Is there even much interesting GV raw session material left that didn't make it on "The Smile Sessions" or other releases for them to do a larger-scale GV-themed release?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 10:58:19 AM »

Can't imagine any release would be very exciting. They did a 40th anniversary multi-track CD single in 2006. So it would probably be something like that, or maybe just some vinyl release since vinyl is so trendy right now.

Is there even much interesting GV raw session material left that didn't make it on "The Smile Sessions" or other releases for them to do a larger-scale GV-themed release?

There's probably not much material left they could add.

But... add the drunk 1978 live version from the "Endless Bummer" boot + all the available vocal stems from the studio version (that were teased in Love & Mercy), and I'm in.  Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 02:27:05 PM »

I'd hope for a DVD/Blu-ray featuring both the recently (2011?) found Vibes sessions footage (set up though it might have been), both synced to audio and an unedited version of everything found, along with the fire station promo footage filmed at the time.

That, along with the very best, listenable outtakes from the recording sessions.

And any recently found trial mixes, vocal overdubs etc.

Plus a series of CDs featuring at least one live performance from each year between 1966 and 2016, by the BBs, BW band, BBs' Family and Friends etc.

Maybe not the last bit… Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:42:57 PM »

I'd love to have all of the extant GV sessions footage unearthed a few years back. But I think it remains to be seen how "intact" the footage is in terms of continuous shots. As I've said in the past, it has the vibe of "b-roll" footage; short bits of footage meant to be some sort of montage or background for something else. There may well not be any particularly long segments to sync up to session tapes.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »

What gives with the GV Wiki page...Anyone able to help add Al and Bruce? LOL

Personnel[edit]
This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.
The Beach Boys
Mike Love – co-lead vocals[126]
Brian Wilson – vocals,[45] production,[58] mixing[58]
Carl Wilson – lead vocals[62]
Dennis Wilson – Hammond organ during 2:14–2:56[127][45]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Vibrations
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 03:10:18 PM »

I'd love to have all of the extant GV sessions footage unearthed a few years back. But I think it remains to be seen how "intact" the footage is in terms of continuous shots. As I've said in the past, it has the vibe of "b-roll" footage; short bits of footage meant to be some sort of montage or background for something else. There may well not be any particularly long segments to sync up to session tapes.

I was referring simply to the footage as released online to date… agree that there's unlikely to be full fly on the wall sessions filmed . Apologies if post was unclear, been to a meeting in a pub.! Rare opportunity n' all that… made the most!

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »

I'd hope for a DVD/Blu-ray featuring both the recently (2011?) found Vibes sessions footage (set up though it might have been), both synced to audio and an unedited version of everything found, along with the fire station promo footage filmed at the time.

That, along with the very best, listenable outtakes from the recording sessions.

And any recently found trial mixes, vocal overdubs etc.

Plus a series of CDs featuring at least one live performance from each year between 1966 and 2016, by the BBs, BW band, BBs' Family and Friends etc.

Maybe not the last bit… Wink
All collected in a box, that has a placeholder slot for the 60th anniversary release.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 05:17:33 PM »

Are we do for a Smile 50th anniversary release, too? how about 50th anniv. releases of Smiley and Wild Honey? I really want to see Brian and his band tour Smiley Smile next year. Minimal instrumentation onstage, and if they play Washington state or Colorado, they can legally get stoned before the show. Oh, and the stage would resemble a swimming pool.
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »

A remastered Good Vibrations with the hum-dee-daa part inserted would have been better.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:07:54 PM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 03:52:44 PM »

A remastered Good Vibrations with the hum-dee-daa part inserted would be amazing. Since the Pet Sounds (50th Ann. Deluxe Edition) was seen as a money grabbing attempt, this commemorative release should be part of a Smile (Disk 1) stereo reissue. They should be more ambitious with their releases, instead of playing it safe.
Agreed.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 08:34:48 AM »

A remastered Good Vibrations with the hum-dee-daa part inserted would be amazing.

Do you mean like the one released on The SMiLE Sessions five years ago?
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »

Good Vibrations should have a stereo release. This is a decent fan mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUaX52GbjSU.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:09:20 PM by PetSmile » Logged

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 10:11:19 AM »

They could just release Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 15 really  Tongue
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 01:22:04 PM »

So PetSmile hasn't really done any digging then? Your Hum Dee Dum Section in full Stereo can be found on the 40th anniversary CD single of Good Vibrations as Various Sessions as well as the  2nd Disc of Hawthorne CA compilation on the track Good Vibrations Stereo  Track Sections. Pieces of Good Vibrations have been out since 1993 with the Original 20 Years of Good Vibrations Boxset. Then in 1997 The Tracking Session and Backing Track of the First Version of Good Vibrations popped up on The Pet Sounds Boxset. In 1990 on the Smiley/Wild Honey Twofer, we got the Early Version in Mono and a Mono Sessions Highlight Edit. Then in 2002 on The Hawthorne CA comp on Disc 2, we now had a Good Vibrations Various Stereo Tracking Sessions. Capitol stepped it up in 2006 with the 40th anniversary Good Vibrations CD single. It included The Original 45 RPM mix remasted in Mono, the Stereo Backing Track and the 2001 Various Sessions release but, now in glorious Stereo. Now we have all of those Various Sessions broken down by Tracking Dates which works better on Disc 5 of The Smile Sessions.
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 03:30:11 PM »

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:06:57 PM by PetSmile » Logged

kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 06:40:02 AM »

Yeah,  if someone with the talent could take the stereo version done by terrei (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23584.msg581202.html#msg581202) and add in the stereo Hum-de-dum part, I'd be happy guy!
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 08:08:02 AM »

Placing my bets on basically the same tracks as the 2006 40th Anniversary release with maybe a "previously unreleased" live cut.

Will probably include the "sessions" that have been released previously ad nauseam... you know the ones we can all recite by heart... "Play hard and strong all the way..."  "I want to start it with the organ and the Fender bass..."   blah, blah, blah...

Sorry to be so negative, but I haven't been "wowed" by archival releases since Hawthorne, CA in 2001.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:15:33 AM by petsoundsnola » Logged
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 08:20:02 AM »

That would be awesome if they issued the UM 15 for the Good Vibration set! We would have just about everything then! for GV
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 04:47:16 PM »

We could just get this? LOL!

PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 04:36:49 PM »

I believe superfluous GV session highlights have already been released. 44 years since Smile was aborted, but it's mostly in mono. Not complaining about the Box Set, it's fine.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 02:05:13 PM by PetSmile » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 06:10:30 AM »

Any repackaging of "Pet Sounds" or "Good Vibrations" or "Smile" doesn't make me hopeful. I get it, it's the lucrative catalog stuff, and it's easy, especially when they mostly just mine old archival releases. But they need to move on to other material, namely 70s and 80s outtakes and career-spanning live recordings.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 06:31:18 AM »

Any decade Jude.... Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 06:49:15 AM »

While any and all archival releases are welcomed, the fact that we have a 2-CD set of "Party" outtakes and a 2-CD set of the previously-heavily-litigated Hite Morgan tapes, both signed off on by BRI, indicates how rudderless the band's management remains (and by extension, at least some if not most of the band members themselves who don't seem to be spearheading much interesting archival material themselves).

There are great folks working around the BB sphere making as much happen as possible. I can only guess Jim Murphy may have had a role in convincing BRI to let the uncut Morgan tapes out, and he or anyone else that convinced them of such should be commended. I know guys like Alan Boyd have made the "Party" set and the "Copyright Extension" sets as interesting and awesome as they possibly can. So I always commend these folks that try to work around BRI and behind the scenes to make something  happen.

But BRI should have someone in-house telling them how they need to do prestige reissues of albums with copious amounts of bonus tracks, Brian-centric boxed sets (call it "Bedroom Tapes" even if that's a total misnomer if it means more attention), live archival CDs and *videos* the way many other classic rock era bands are mining their vaults.

Every release that comes out of BRI that has archival stuff on it seems to almost happen accidentally. The "copyright extension" stuff seems to fall under that category. They only got archival stuff on "Made in California" by putting out *another* career-spanning boxed set. The story behind BRI getting behind the Morgan tapes hasn't been told yet, but I'm guessing a lot of "this stuff is already out in fragmented form, and it may have arguably already fallen into the public domain" sort of arguments may have convinced BRI to be a *part* of a release of the set instead of hindering the perhaps inevitable release or leak of the material.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 06:50:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx