gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 11:27:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two quick questions about the 2012 remasters  (Read 2362 times)
Smile4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I didn't see a thread with definitive answers. I apologize for any repetition.

1.) My main question. Were all of the Beach Boys studio albums except "Summer in Paradise" remastered and re-released last year? My understanding is that they were all remastered--at least through the 1970s-- (including new stereo mixes for mid-60s albums) and everything through Surf's Up released on CD. I guess the heart of my question is this: was the post-1971 work remastered but only released digitally? So for instance, if I see/hear the "Love You" album on iTunes/Spotify, that is a 2012 remaster?

2.) I think Mark Linett always does an awesome job with the Beach Boys mixing and mastering. He's outstanding and I have a ton of respect for him and his work. That being said, do you think the sound quality on "50 Big Ones" is bad? To me it seems loud and high-pitched. I suspect that Linett was given a mandate from the record company to compress the album to sound like a lot of other (bad-sounding) music today. Every other BB remaster I've heard sounds great, so I'm guessing Capitol got involved in telling him to compress the hits package.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:45:50 PM by Smile4ever » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 05:52:16 PM »

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I didn't see a thread with definitive answers. I apologize for any repetition.

1.) My main question. Were all of the Beach Boys studio albums except "Summer in Paradise" remastered and re-released last year? My understanding is that they were all remastered--at least through the 1970s-- (including new stereo mixes for mid-60s albums) and everything through Surf's Up released on CD. I guess the heart of my question is this: was the post-1971 work remastered but only released digitally? So for instance, if I see/hear the "Love You" album on iTunes/Spotify, that is a 2012 remaster?

2.) I think Mark Linett always does an awesome job with the Beach Boys mixing and mastering. He's outstanding and I have a ton of respect for him and his work. That being said, do you think the sound quality on "50 Big Ones" is bad? To me it seems loud and high-pitched. I suspect that Linett was given a mandate from the record company to compress the album to sound like a lot of other (bad-sounding) music today. Every other BB remaster I've heard sounds great, so I'm guessing Capitol got involved in telling him to compress the hits package.
1. I have seen them referred to on iTunes and Amazon as 2012 for single albums that were not part of the CD reissues. I really can't say if it is a release date or a real remaster.

2. I think all of Mark's releases are bright, to bring out the vocals more than the original album releases. The only brickwalled release that I know of is Sounds Of Summer. Personally, I like Mark's work on the whole. 

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 06:05:09 PM »

Mark Linett rules the school. His remixing and remastering is out of sight.

As for 2012 remasters, not everything was done. This Spotify playlist contains them all http://open.spotify.com/user/benkirchner/playlist/1n9EcsmqUQEa0P9Dwsf123

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 06:19:15 PM »

I've been kind of iffy with his mastering. I generally prefer a less treble-heavy EQ, and I find his more recent mastering work somewhat brittle.

A discipline daddy.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 06:31:23 PM »

need moar mids plz,

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »

need moar mids plz,
Indeed.

A discipline daddy.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »

The following are 2012 remasters.
Surfin' USA, Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down Vol. 2, All Summer Long, Today!, Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!), Party!, Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile

Sunflower and Surf's Up were remastered in 2009 (but released on CD with the other remasters in 2012).

All of the other major Capitol/Brother studio albums were remastered in 2000/2001 except for the Christmas album which was remastered and released under the title Ultimate Christmas (with bonus tracks from the scrapped 1974 Christmas album) in 1998.  Still Cruisin' and Summer in Paradise have never been reissued since their initial release.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:57:41 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 07:42:05 PM »

Surfin' USA, Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down Vol. 2, All Summer Long, Today!, Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!), Party!, Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile

Sunflower and Surf's Up were remastered in 2009 (but released on CD with the other remasters in 2012).

All of the other major Capitol/Brother studio albums were remastered in 2000/2001 except for the Christmas album which was remastered and released under the title Ultimate Christmas (with bonus tracks from the scrapped 1974 Christmas album) in 1998.  Still Cruisin' and Summer in Paradise have never been reissued since their initial release.
Check the downloads of those single albums (not the 2-fer versions) they say 2012. But as I said earlier, I don't know if that means remastered or not.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:49:53 PM »

All of the other major Capitol/Brother studio albums were remastered in 2000/2001 except for the Christmas album which was remastered and released under the title Ultimate Christmas (with bonus tracks from the scrapped 1974 Christmas album) in 1998.  Still Cruisin' and Summer in Paradise have never been reissued since their initial release.
Check the downloads of those single albums (not the 2-fer versions) they say 2012. But as I said earlier, I don't know if that means remastered or not.

I know.  What that means is they started to be offered as singular downloads in 2012 rather than as twofers (I don't know why, I like the twofer format better because of the bonus tracks) but they are the same as the 2000/2001 remasters.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »

I know.  What that means is they started to be offered as singular downloads in 2012 rather than as twofers (I don't know why, I like the twofer format better because of the bonus tracks) but they are the same as the 2000/2001 remasters.
I couldn't hear a difference, but my hearing isn't as good as you young people.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »

Perhaps you spent too much time in your youth listening to Mike Love scream during Student Demonstration Time.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 12:24:11 AM »

Mark should stop working in the box and begin working with outboard gear again. It's very sad that he has fallen for the digital experience, it will always be an approximation but nothing like the real deal..
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 07:02:41 AM »

Perhaps you spent too much time in your youth listening to Mike Love scream during Student Demonstration Time.
Yea, that along with too much Led Zeppelin and Robert Plant, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,