gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680898 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 12:15:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Streaming vs Owning: Do you miss the good ol’ days of music?  (Read 202 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2024, 06:26:22 PM »

I was going to go into detail about how/why I quit streaming a couple months ago and went back to my old personal music library. If this conversation gains traction I’ll share my thoughts below, but was just curious if anyone else here has found they listen to music differently in the era of streaming…and if they feel they used to get more out of music back when we had to buy/collect/shop for music.

Do you miss putting on a vinyl and making listening to an album more of an event?
Do you like the near-perfect streaming algorithms of Spotify or do you miss randomly finding music on your own?
Do you still buy "expensive" boxsets even though you can get the same music in your streaming subscription?

Thanks in advance for any comments/posts. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 01:12:42 AM »

The majority of my music money goes to my record collection and my blueray collection (and my toys).

I am pro-physical media 100%

Everyday I look forward to coming home from work and using an online random album picker to choose an album to spin.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 01:14:25 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 09:29:25 AM »

I must admit I never even started with music streaming and all that stuff. I have no account, never had and don't plan on creating one. Sure, I listen to some music on youtube but that's only when I am sitting at the computer (like right now). Otherwise I listen to CDs and LPs and don't feel that that will change. I just like having it that way, whatever the underlying motives may be (possibly holding a physical product in your hand etc.). It's not a ideological kind of thing, everyone should do as one pleases. I just am totaly satisfied this way.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx