gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680884 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 01:35:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Slaves to the Beach Boys' legacy"  (Read 6060 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2012, 12:38:59 PM »

I haven't seen this video posted before.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17895611

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »

Yap, saw it a couple of months ago - I think. Nice clip of the boys warming up at the piano.

"For some reason people wanna see us all together." Mike says...
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:03:11 PM »

Thanks this is a nice video.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:11:13 PM »

Even harder to tell when Mike's joking since the whole botox thing.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »

Does no one else find it a bit weird the way David Marks talks as if he wasn't out of the band for over four decades? No disrespect, great bloke - but the way he goes on about 'that special chemistry we've always had between us' etc. It's like: but didn't you leave in 1963??
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 01:15:33 PM »

Even harder to tell when Mike's joking since the whole botox thing.
LOL

Quote from: Disney Boy (1985)
Does no one else find it a bit weird the way David Marks talks as if he wasn't out of the band for over four decades? No disrespect, great bloke - but the way he goes on about 'that special chemistry we've always had between us' etc. It's like: but didn't you leave in 1963??
Yeah, it's a bit weird. But it's promotion. It's business. People wanna see/hear/buy the band. And to be fair, since Marks first left he has played with them numerous times over the decades.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 01:18:20 PM »

He was also a part of the greatest Beach Boys album of all.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »

Magic bubble right there!
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »

er, Bruce channels mr Peabody? hint: "who wants to grow up, who wants responsibility.."

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 01:41:57 PM »

I think he's talking about the chemistry of some kids who grew up together and went from playing in front of 50 people to 10,000, and from being nobodies to being famous with a bunch of hit records. He was there for that, he knows about the chemistry that made it happen. When he plays with Mike and Brian and Al it still feels right, like it did when they were kids.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 03:56:40 PM »

He maintained contact with the group, especially Carl, and was even invited by Mike to rejoin in 1971? Mike prob wanted David over Blondie and Ricky.
Anyways, it's not like he buggered off to exile on Hawaii from 1963 to the present day and they rediscovered their good buddiness.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »

And he played with them on Baywatch.  See, he only plays with them when it really matters.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 06:04:10 PM »

My favorite thing about that cover is Mike's hand resting on a guitar.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 11:16:53 PM »

I think he's talking about the chemistry of some kids who grew up together and went from playing in front of 50 people to 10,000, and from being nobodies to being famous with a bunch of hit records. He was there for that, he knows about the chemistry that made it happen. When he plays with Mike and Brian and Al it still feels right, like it did when they were kids.

Pretty good explanation.  I do think that there is a bit of catch-up here, too--DM was minimized in the BBs story for so long that he probably feels that he has to play catch-up a bit here. 
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 11:23:39 PM »

C'mon Jon. I know your Dave's biggest cheerleader, and the dude definitely deserves one, don't get me wrong, but what he says in those interviews IS total sh*t. "When we get together it just picks up from the last time" or whatever. Yeah, right Dave. I'm sure there was real special moments when they were recording that NASCAR album. Oh, who am I kidding....were Bruce or Dave even on the damn CD? Wasn't it supposedly just Mike and Adrian Baker with Dave and Bruce put on the cover to lend more "authenticity"?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 12:50:00 AM »

My favorite thing about that cover is Mike's hand resting on a guitar.

hahahaha! all these years and I never noticed. I think I want to find me a physical copy of that CD, just because it'd be really funny. maybe there's some cool liner notes!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 01:06:54 AM »

What's wrong with Bruce Johnston's face? Are those the real teeth of Bruce Johnston? I am certain that this album cover has been altered. Why does Mike have a guitar, what does it all mean??? 
halblaineisgood
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 01:13:11 AM »

er, Bruce channels mr Peabody? hint: "who wants to grow up, who wants responsibility.."

NICE. I just got it LOL LOL LOL
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 10:11:30 AM »

C'mon Jon. I know your Dave's biggest cheerleader, and the dude definitely deserves one, don't get me wrong, but what he says in those interviews IS total sh*t. "When we get together it just picks up from the last time" or whatever. Yeah, right Dave. I'm sure there was real special moments when they were recording that NASCAR album. Oh, who am I kidding....were Bruce or Dave even on the damn CD? Wasn't it supposedly just Mike and Adrian Baker with Dave and Bruce put on the cover to lend more "authenticity"?
Dave plays all the lead guitar on that Nascar CD, love it or hate it...its him. But of course Dave's point in the interview, the one you say is total sh*t, he's referring to when he gets together and plays music with the members of the original group, like he did at the Wilson's house before they were the Beach Boys, or when they played tiny clubs in '62, or when they played giant arenas in '63, or when he jammed with Dennis and Carl in '65, or when he sat in with them in Boston in '71, or when he played with them at the Whisky in '71, or when he played with Mike's side band in '79, or when he recorded on Brian's solo sessions in '89, or when he sat in with the Beach Boys in '94 and '95, or when he re-joined the Beach boys in '97, or when he plays gigs with Al Jardine all over the US like he has been for years, or when he plays with Mike and Bruce at various gigs, or like he did on their whole 2008 UK tour, or like he did on this great 2012 reunion. His point is that time might pass, but when he plays with them the chemistry they had at the beginning is still there. And when its all of them its even more there. I have something similar with the guys I grew up playing music with, we just have  a natural connection, and time doesn't diminish it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:13:14 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »

Mike prob wanted David over Blondie and Ricky.

I guess, at that point it was probably more over Bruce. Didn't the boys try to replace him with Billy Hinsche in '69?

or when he played with them at the Whisky in '71,

Jon, did he play with them at that show that is in circulation as an audience recording? Or am I mis-remembering and it was a show from '70? I guess the latter

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »

Jon, did he play with them at that show that is in circulation as an audience recording? Or am I mis-remembering and it was a show from '70? I guess the latter
He played with them there on April 12 or 13th, 1971. The audience recording is from one of the '70 shows right?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 11:54:47 AM »

He played with them there on April 12 or 13th, 1971. The audience recording is from one of the '70 shows right?

Yeah, I think so. Haven't got it here right now. Would love to hear a recording of the '71 show

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx