gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 12:36:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC in may hands!! Booklet review.  (Read 12033 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »

Just got the set delivered 10 minutes ago! Packaging is beautiful. A faux-leather bound booklet the size of an LP. When I first opened it up I thought "WTF"? as all the existing band's signatures where in there!! The photographs start with a bang and go upwards from there. There are some pictures which I have never seen before - like a teenage Brian at the family piano. Then some B&W live gig pics circa 61 or 62 - THEN color ones!! In  many cases photo montages of ones that have grace back cover slicks - and with a bit of detective work you'll find a couple that are new. There are many of the individual Hawthorne front lawn shots which were used for the CD of the same name. Further interior Wilson home pics follow - alot I have not seen before. Then a stack of 1964 pictures many of which are alternates of 45 shots. SDaSN boat pictures and ASL outtakes are also there. Bruce is seen in the boat pics. Many B&W shots of the (I guess) Party! Including one which explains why we only ever saw the top half of Mike. Then come m,any Pet Sounds cover session shots from SD zoo. A nice big color Frank Holmes drawing of SU from the Smile booklet (would have been nice to have some more Smile session photos, but oh well). There are a set of the H&V promo shoot pics (where they are leaning on haystacks), and then some color pics of the guys circa 1967 playing sports. There is a glorious Sunflower gatefold shoot of the town square. A couple of SU session pics follow with the album cover. Then we move to 1976 with alts (and not so alts) of known pics from then through to the 1980's. Then a jump to the C50 concert pics. There is a 2012 group shot and then a curious set of location pics in and around LA which will get a few laughs followed by track details interspersed with candid shots from their long career. A nice dedication to Carl and Dennis and a complete list of session and band member alumni.

Was there any session information or dates of recordings in the booklet?
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 05:47:35 PM »

How do we get this in Australia.. The MIC box that is!!??

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »

Yep each song has its origins and session info. However, it is mainly "recorded during the Sunflower sessions, 1969" for example.

A Mooger Fooger is defined here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moogerfooger

Nothing shocking, yet sounds very cool when applied to a synth or theremin.

For Aussies, I'd recommend Red Eye records.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:56:32 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »

Yep each song has its origins and session info. However, it is mainly "recorded during the Sunflower sessions, 1969" for example.

So is there are any notable or surprising information there?  You're a Mystery for example -- does that say that a portion of it was recorded recently?
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 07:22:55 PM »

Jeff wrote it.

Evil
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »

So....jealous. So very, very, VERY jealous. Never was able to buy the TSS box (although I've certainly heard it, many many times Wink  ) and gonna lose out here barring a lottery win, so...yeah. Looks freakin' epic!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 10:52:19 PM »

Well FFS... even I know a bit more than that. All they had to do was...

1 - call c-man: if he was out...

2 - look here - Gigs & sessions - which is pretty much all his work anyway as regards the recording dates.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 11:37:36 PM »

Pre-Order on JB HiFi website (it can't be far away) or ask your local record store (ie, Red Eye in Sydney, nice one Mooger) and get Tony Abbott to NOT stop the boats
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:40:15 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 01:37:29 AM »

Pre-Order on JB HiFi website (it can't be far away) or ask your local record store (ie, Red Eye in Sydney, nice one Mooger) and get Tony Abbott to NOT stop the boats

All here. Release date the 30th but shipped the 29th. Allow 3 days.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/pop-rock/made-in-california/690231
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 07:00:36 AM »

2014: Love & Mercy

And a soundtrack album with exactly ONE recently unearthed gem every BB fan MUST have! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 07:16:58 AM »

And a soundtrack album with exactly ONE recently unearthed gem every BB fan MUST have! Grin

"In the Back of My Mind" (Late '70s demo)

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 07:39:59 AM »

If I have one gripe about the set, it is the sparse session info. I love on TSS to read all the tidbits about the tracking date. Perhaps an online resource with detailed listings would be an idea, PTB?

In all I like this set alot. The right balance between material for noob and hard core. I for one love the Smile montage vox, so Im glad its on there. Unfortunately for the first time in a long time there are _no_ hidden tracks at the end of any of the cds. Bummer.

For me the standout track is Meant For You. It displays Brian's musical genius better than anything else I've heard in a long time. I can imagine a classical instrument interpretation sitting right up there with the work of Mozart or Bach.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »

Speaking of session info, there was discussion about the 1967 Surf's up _2012_ mix. According to the session notes, it is indeed a REMIX, although I couldn't hear any difference on the first listen.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »

If I have one gripe about the set, it is the sparse session info. I love on TSS to read all the tidbits about the tracking date.

Me too...another opportunity to give a shout out and great big thanks to C-Man for his work.  I have spent hours looking at that sessionography, certainly the best thing about the TSS book.  I had really hoped for at least solid recording dates in the MiC book, if not session musicians.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 10:24:58 PM »

Does it say anything about who played what on the liner notes? I'm sure we're all interested to see that, especially as far as the unreleased tracks go.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
MBE
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 10:51:53 PM »

Looks like a ton of backwards pictures. Capitol did that the 50 hits box too. Very disappointing.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »

Speaking of session info, there was discussion about the 1967 Surf's up _2012_ mix. According to the session notes, it is indeed a REMIX, although I couldn't hear any difference on the first listen.

It's definitely a different take from the Smile Sessions version.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 01:40:26 AM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2013, 07:34:50 AM »

So...jealous. So very, very, VERY jealous. Looks epic!
That's what I thought when I read MIC details & saw the scans in MF's posts. Must have been an extremely lucky day for the receivers. Good BBs listening to all!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »

and for Aussies........ where else but........................ Ebay!!!

I bought and ordered mine there, 30 - 50 bux cheaper than buying it anywhere in Australia at that point....

RickB
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2013, 04:03:31 AM »

There's only one photo of Blondie and Ricky in the entire book. Kinda crappy of them. At least they are credited as Beach Boys but come on....

Ok, there's another at the back. Still shoddy.

There is also a list of every session musician to ever play on a Beach Boys cut!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:31:38 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MBE
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 05:05:52 AM »

You know what it's far better than I thought, but as I mentioned the backwards pictures are obvious and glaring.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 06:01:23 AM »

Yep I got it from Amazon.de and I pay for express shipping on an anual basis so I am usually guaranteed a time-of-day delivery. Also actually being_in_ Germany hepls.

Two more as a tease:

"Stay in school, let harmony rule"
Al Jardine  LOL
Love it
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2013, 02:26:43 AM »

Dear Smiley Smile Message Board,

I couldn't help noticing a strong resemblence between the classic Japanese ukiyo-e artwork 'The Great Wave off Kanagawa' and the cover of the Beach Boys' recent career-spanning book set, Made In California.

'Made In California'

'The Great Wave off Kanagawa'

Are they by any chance related? I think we should be told...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:29:59 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2013, 04:14:28 AM »

Does it say anything about who played what on the liner notes? I'm sure we're all interested to see that, especially as far as the unreleased tracks go.

Stay tuned, wantscomecorn...ther will be a full MIC sessionography posted online in the very near future.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2013, 04:15:41 AM »

Great news!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx