gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680903 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 03:37:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 (Potential) Brian Wilson LPs  (Read 31732 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 01:14:54 PM »

BW! Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »

WOW..JB opening the show with a set of his stuff..Then BW doin a set of  his stuff then JB sittin in BW set and// or encore sounds AWESOME !  Battin down the hatches this show is gonna be red hot.Im gonna predict JB will do "Surfs Up" in the show..Plus some new music coming out ..!! MY MY..UNBELIVABLE..!..IM speechless.!

Should be a killer show, this article finally pushed me into buying tickets and I'll need to be gagged during the concert or may erupt in a terrifying cry of KEEP IT CLEAN during a quiet, emotional moment.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:19:47 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 01:36:10 PM »

I am looking forward to the next BW album, but beware of hype.  Some rather grandiose comments have been made before other albums, that didn't come close to matching what was released.

They really are setting the bar high for this one

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 01:44:27 PM »

Not thrilled with the "as Wilson approaches the final chapter of his career" text.

This could mean lots of things... not sure if it's meant to imply something specifically?
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »

3 albums - not ONE for the Beach Boys? what a drag...
We're just going to have to come to the realization that other than the 50th anniversary, it's not going to happen again. That is my stance and I hate to take it because I want these albums to be BB albums with Mike and Bruce involved, but if both parties or one party isn't going to agree, then this is how it is going to have to be. If having Al and David on the albums with Brian is the closest we can get to the BB sound, then that'll have to be it. I just hope it's good and that JT doesn't mess the vocals up. Mike and Bruce can continue playing Barbara Ann and Kokomo until their faces turn blue. I also hate saying that, but this is apparently what it has come down to.

I think you're exactly right with everything you wrote, unfortunately....
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 01:46:24 PM »

Not thrilled with the "as Wilson approaches the final chapter of his career" text.

This could mean lots of things... not sure if it's meant to imply something specifically?

Don't know, but interesting that the article is written by Jason Fine, who is writing the autobiography with Brian also

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 01:46:33 PM »

Brian will never stop writing songs.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 01:55:57 PM »

I'm more than happy that this is solely a Brian Wilson project...where Brian's vision isn't skewed by shitty band politics and more stupid drama. Yeah, I'll miss their voices (especially Bruce's), but I won't be crying about it...Brian Wilson (the creator of Pet Sounds and Smile) is in the studio working his ass off on an album; "I'm on a roll. I have so many songs, I can't believe it." This man, now 71 and full of energy, was close to death at numerous times in his life...we should be thankful he's even making music anymore.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »

We're just going to have to come to the realization that other than the 50th anniversary, it's not going to happen again. That is my stance and I hate to take it because I want these albums to be BB albums with Mike and Bruce involved, but if both parties or one party isn't going to agree, then this is how it is going to have to be. If having Al and David on the albums with Brian is the closest we can get to the BB sound, then that'll have to be it. I just hope it's good and that JT doesn't mess the vocals up. Mike and Bruce can continue playing Barbara Ann and Kokomo until their faces turn blue. I also hate saying that, but this is apparently what it has come down to.

Despite what is being said here, I'm still expecting to hear one more new album from The Beach Boys.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 02:06:14 PM »

Well, he is 71, and remains mortal, as far as I know.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 02:07:55 PM »

The excerpt about the vitamin energy drink cracks me up - classic hyper enthused Brian. Could you imagine if we had 5-Hour Energy in 1966?

I dare say it...he would have completed SMILE by Christmas.  Afro

Anyway, it would make a swell ad campaign.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:57:28 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
oldsurferdude
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 02:14:18 PM »

Hey, look at it this way-you can follow myKe and Brooth around and even hear Bea Tru Tu Yur Skool with the lovester's infamous intro. And.......it's the Beach Boys to boot!! Wink
oldsurferdude
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 02:18:03 PM »

I'm more than happy that this is solely a Brian Wilson project...where Brian's vision isn't skewed by shitty band politics and more stupid drama. Yeah, I'll miss their voices (especially Bruce's), but I won't be crying about it...Brian Wilson (the creator of Pet Sounds and Smile) is in the studio working his ass off on an album; "I'm on a roll. I have so many songs, I can't believe it." This man, now 71 and full of energy, was close to death at numerous times in his life...we should be thankful he's even making music anymore.
w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!
Jason
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 02:20:44 PM »

Band politics? The 50th Anniversary had a set end date. That's not "band politics", that's called "a set end date".
Gohi
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 02:27:10 PM »

Band politics? The 50th Anniversary had a set end date. That's not "band politics", that's called "a set end date".
Great moderating. Can we have one thread without this argument?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2013, 02:28:26 PM »

Mike Love putting the kibosh on further dates, that's pretty much politics

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 02:34:32 PM »

THE SUITE.

Fantastic birthday news. Somebody give Joe Thomas another talking to about the autotune or make him a fake autotune filter mockup he can twiddle with to his heart's content that doesn't actually render out on mixes and it looks BDW is in for an amazing 2014 with recordings, shows, movie, book stuff bouncing around and feeding off each other.

An instrumental track called Metropolis? I'm sold.

I want to be excited, I really do. Maybe this time he'll be a bit more transparent on the pitch correction. I'm sure he's a lovely guy. Please Joe, don't screw this one up!
To be fair, other than Robo-Al (which is a shame, I admit), the suite numbers were some of the better-produced tracks, I think.

It seems as if the completed suite may be a realistic possibility.  Wow.  I mean, this is wonderful news to me.  Would I like to see the Rock 'n' Roll album?  Yeah.  Pleasure Island (if this is different than R'n'R)?  Certainly.  Instrumental pieces featuring Jeff Beck?  Fascinating, I'm sure.  A pop album with Al and David?  Of course.

But there is simply no other project I'd rather see Brian release than the completed Life Suite.  My hope is that the Beach Boys will lend their voices to some or all of the tracks, but if the rest of the suite can even come close to matching "Strange World," "From There to Back Again," Pacific Coast Highway" and "Summer's Gone"?  Honestly, I'll take that anyway I can get it.

Go Brian, go!

And Happy Birthday, too.
Jason
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »

Great moderating. Can we have one thread without this argument?

Thank you for your approval of my moderation. Oh, and...what argument? Unless you call destroying a ridiculous claim that the end date of the 50th Anniversary was "band politics" to be an argument.

Mike Love putting the kibosh on further dates, that's pretty much politics

Again, "a set end date". That is not politics. That's what the band agreed on.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »

Yeah, but as it has zero to do with the topic at hand, let's just nip it in the bud, yes?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:52:55 PM by Generation42 » Logged
Jason
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »

Yeah, but as it has zero to do with the topic at hand. let's just nip it in the bud, yes?

I already nipped it in the bud. Smiley
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2013, 03:02:24 PM »

Yeah, but as it has zero to do with the topic at hand. let's just nip it in the bud, yes?

I already nipped it in the bud. Smiley
Well, let's hope it plays out that way.  Some would say you encouraged further (off-topic) discourse by bringing up the 50th tour, which is something rab never mentioned ('band politics' does not have to equate to "let's talk about the end of the anniversary tour... again").

I don't mean to be a dick about it, it's just that the BW solo album thread was taken so very off course by the same argument, and I don't want to see the same thing happen here.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:06:16 PM by Generation42 » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2013, 03:06:36 PM »

RIGHT ON

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »

Eh.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:16:52 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2013, 03:16:11 PM »

Okay, I've got a question.  Here's the quote:

"Actually, the record that Wilson started working on with longtime collaborator Joe Thomas almost immediately after wrapping up the Beach Boys' 50th-anniversary tour last fall has morphed into what could be three records..." (and then it goes on to describe the nature of the work).

Is this meant to imply that Brian is seriously considering three separate releases, or is the writer making use of hyperbole when describing the sprawling nature of what will ultimately be one eclectic release?

Opinions?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »

My guess is, given Fine's connection to the BW camp, someone there does consider it at least a possibility.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:27:01 PM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx