gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681552 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 09:23:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian in studio this week  (Read 13720 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2011, 10:43:09 AM »

While I am not that excited about the Disney album (unlike BWRG, because I am a Gershwin fan), I hope he does at least one song with toy instruments, as he talked about several years ago.

When did Brian say this?

I think it was after "BWPS" was released, though it possibly could have been before.  As I recall, he said he'd like to make a children's album using toy instruments.   I only remember seeing it mentioned once (unlike the rock and roll album).

You're right. I totally forgot about that. I think the Disney-album could really be fitting for that kind of approach, but I don't think it'll be that way

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2011, 10:58:13 AM »

I'd love to hear a 2011 Brian Wilson toy instruments arrangement, this could be truly amazing I think.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2011, 11:23:50 AM »

I don't know, I think he's really limited to what his management says he can do - at least in terms of releasable material....I think this because I have no idea what truly goes on in that camp.

I say give him a drumset, moog synth, a bag of tricks, an electric guitar, a sound engineer, and some free time - I'd love to hear another Love You type album come from his brain alone. Shoot, he could release it for free on his website as a present to his fans.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »

Who wouldn't love to hear a recording of Brian truly being creative and whimsical in his own unique way?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »

I'm excited about this album.  Some of my favorite Brian songs are some of the craziest, so I think it'll be cool to see him do children's songs.  I hope he just does some really over the top strange ones like "Zip a dee doo dah" and such, in a "Saturday Morning in the City" vibe.  I'm sure he'll do nice versions of Wish Upon A Star etc. as well.  Really everything that's been mentioned on this thread would be interesting, even "Colors of the Wind" and things like that would be great... "Prince Ali" from Aladdin would be awesome, even "It's a Small World" could be legendary, lol.

I'm just hyped. I hope I can refrain from hearing any snippets or anything until the album comes out, so it'll be crazier when I finally hear it. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2011, 05:28:05 PM »

I'm excited about this album.  Some of my favorite Brian songs are some of the craziest, so I think it'll be cool to see him do children's songs.  I hope he just does some really over the top strange ones like "Zip a dee doo dah" and such, in a "Saturday Morning in the City" vibe.  I'm sure he'll do nice versions of Wish Upon A Star etc. as well.  Really everything that's been mentioned on this thread would be interesting, even "Colors of the Wind" and things like that would be great... "Prince Ali" from Aladdin would be awesome, even "It's a Small World" could be legendary, lol.

I'm just hyped. I hope I can refrain from hearing any snippets or anything until the album comes out, so it'll be crazier when I finally hear it.  
I agree. I'm excited about something without "high art" expectations. Just a record.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2011, 06:54:54 PM »

It would be interesting to hear Brian sing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from "Mary Poppins"...  Grin

MD...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 02:29:04 AM »

I'm excited about this album.  Some of my favorite Brian songs are some of the craziest, so I think it'll be cool to see him do children's songs.  I hope he just does some really over the top strange ones like "Zip a dee doo dah" and such, in a "Saturday Morning in the City" vibe.  I'm sure he'll do nice versions of Wish Upon A Star etc. as well.  Really everything that's been mentioned on this thread would be interesting, even "Colors of the Wind" and things like that would be great... "Prince Ali" from Aladdin would be awesome, even "It's a Small World" could be legendary, lol.

I agree. I'm excited about something without "high art" expectations. Just a record.

I'm hoping for quirky.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2011, 04:48:13 AM »

What were the reviews like for Beach Boys Love You (an example of a quirky album)? I suppose that if the management let Brian get really quirky, the critics would hate it. Then again, maybe that's not such a big deal.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2011, 05:13:36 AM »

Over here they were great - both Sounds and NME loved it, and this was before the former went down the HM route.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2011, 05:28:45 AM »

I think another Love You is out of the question, but I would love more songs in the Message Man, Nothing But Love vein. When he does upbeat these days, Brian can still nail it.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2011, 06:13:45 AM »

I would love a quirky, minimal, analogue synthy album of Brian letting loose on some weird Disney sh!t, maybe backed by a Van Dyke-esque orchestra on some tracks.

What we're likely to get: a mainstream, predictable, midtempo, cluttered production that gets minimal promotion and ignored by the label/Grammys/record-buying public.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2011, 06:20:26 AM »

yeah i'm expecting brian wilson by numbers here.  love to be wrong
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »

Brian's "official" twitter account confirms the first song that everyone knew would be on the album:
"We're doin' "When You Wish Upon A Star" for the new album. It kinda inspired "Surfer Girl." - Brian"
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2011, 06:16:44 PM »

Brian's "official" twitter account confirms the first song that everyone knew would be on the album:
"We're doin' "When You Wish Upon A Star" for the new album. It kinda inspired "Surfer Girl." - Brian"

ha wouldn't it be great if it's just surfer girl. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2011, 08:30:09 PM »

Actually in all sincerity, maybe he should do the Surfer Girl intro to it?  That would work.

"OOOOhhhhhooooooooooohhh oooooooo.... oooooohhhhh oooohhhhhoooooooooohhh ooooh....."

Whhhhhhennn you Wish; uponnnn a STARRRRR.....

that could work out great.  At the end of the each line, he could have the band doing the Surfer girl hook, instead though they could go "on a star, on a star, on a starrrrr" or something.

Eh.  I'll leave it up to the pros.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2011, 01:17:29 AM »

Here's hoping for Heigh Ho. Done the Tom Waits way, as in that great Hal Willner Disney Tribute, 'Stay Awake', with Harry Nilsson and Van Dyke Parks collaborating. It would suit his rougher voice well, and a dark synth would just make it perfect.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2011, 01:30:30 PM »

I can't wait to hear someone in Brian's group decide to work in "Surfer Girl" into the beginning or ending of "When You Wish Upon a Star" (please note the sarcasm). I predict they'll either use some of combination of those two songs or "Heigh-Ho" to bookend the album. It seems so obvious given the way they sequence Brian's albums.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2011, 03:27:10 PM »

Dada you may unwittingly (?) be influencing the 'creative' process Shocked

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2011, 01:17:09 AM »

Dada you may unwittingly (?) be influencing the 'creative' process Shocked

Yeah. Now we can blame Dada if it turns out to be a total clunker.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2011, 01:37:04 PM »

Tweet from the BW site.

Brian Wilson
Just finished the Disney CD. My kids are lovin it. Now I know what it must have felt like when I played "Be My Baby" 24/7. It's all about my kids!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »

Tweet from the BW site.

Brian Wilson
Just finished the Disney CD. My kids are lovin it. Now I know what it must have felt like when I played "Be My Baby" 24/7. It's all about my kids!

I doubt the kids come away with such a legendary story as Carnie Wilson did (everyday hearing the "ba-ba-ba-cha" of the percussion on Be my baby.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »

I think this is going to be a great, epic album. Disney songs are usually bombastic, pretty, childlike and weird. Should fit Brian like a glove.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »

Thanks for the update!

I can't wait to hear it!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2011, 07:24:46 PM »

put it out next week. 

So does he just mean he's done recording, or is it all mastered and such
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx