gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681510 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 06:06:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should Mike Love go the CD-R route like Al?  (Read 4363 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2010, 05:56:50 AM »

We've got three, maybe four solo albums by this guy. Since there are no takers, why doesn't he just do like Al and go the CD-R route?

Unleash the Love
Country Love
Looking Back With Love
Mike Love not War (or whatever he chooses to call the latest effort)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 06:05:20 AM »

Unleash the Love and Mike Love Not War are the same thing, he should probably go the CD-R route, unless he, Brian and Al are planning on donating solo songs to a Beach Boys 50th studio album project.

Looking Back with Love was released in 1981, so it would have to be re-released by the owners.

First Love and Country Love apparently have legal issues tied to them.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »

The best route for Myke to take is indeed the CD-R route-complete deactivation-RETIREMENT-immediately if not sooner. Wink
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 09:47:26 AM »

The biggest difference between the two is that Mike actually never promoted his. Al on the other hand
has been talking for the last two decades about new material and solo albums that almost never surface!

And I think Mike wants to keep his tracks of the market. Otherwise he would've released them in some form!

//RD

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »

I remember a few years ago, Mike & Bruce were on NBC's "The Today Show," and in between songs Bruce specifically mentioned "Mike Love Not War" as being Mike's new album.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 08:22:12 AM »

I remember a few years ago, Mike & Bruce were on NBC's "The Today Show," and in between songs Bruce specifically mentioned "Mike Love Not War" as being Mike's new album.

Yeah, there was a time when it seemed Mike was promoting the new album.  I think he played "Unleash The Love" on Foxnews once too.
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 09:17:19 AM »

Yeah, there was a time when it seemed Mike was promoting the new album.  I think he played "Unleash The Love" on Foxnews once too.

Ok ok... I see your point... but you gotta admit the diffrence Smiley One of those two cancelled the european leg of a tour to "put the finishing touches to his new solo album"

//RD

screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 01:04:05 PM »

Ok ok... I see your point... but you gotta admit the diffrence Smiley One of those two cancelled the european leg of a tour to "put the finishing touches to his new solo album"

//RD

Absolutely, Al had a website promoting it for at least 2 years, and Mike just occasionally mentioned it.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »

Maybe Mike just realizes that people aren't going to be interested in a solo album by him. Say what you want about the man, he has good business sense.
Jason
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 02:45:08 PM »

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. Al canceled the European leg of the Wilson/Jardine tour because he saw through the bullshit in the wifeandmanagers situation.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 03:16:47 PM »

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. Al canceled the European leg of the Wilson/Jardine tour because he saw through the bullmerda in the wifeandmanagers situation.

Can you elaborate on this? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 04:36:08 PM »

Forget what I said.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 04:42:17 PM by TdHabib » Logged

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 01:43:41 AM »

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. Al canceled the European leg of the Wilson/Jardine tour because he saw through the bullmerda in the wifeandmanagers situation.

Not entirely true either.
BUT my point is that he wasn't late use the spotlight to promote an album.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 04:56:15 AM »

No, he didn't. The tour went ahead, just without Alan, and the reason it went ahead without him is hardly a secret (and it was nothing to do with Melinda).

OnT: there's a huge, overreaching reason why Mike's Country Love will never, ever be released - it is weapons grade radioactive merda. First Love, on the other hand, isn't too shabby.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:57:59 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 05:40:49 AM »

No, he didn't. The tour went ahead, just without Alan, and the reason it went ahead without him is hardly a secret (and it was nothing to do with Melinda).

OnT: there's a huge, overreaching reason why Mike's Country Love will never, ever be released - it is weapons grade radioactive  release anything

Did Brian walking offstage have anything to do with his decision? Sorry-bit out of the loop

I can't imagine Mike doing anything with CDR's- I assume he'd rather put his efforts into touring than promoting something which would only appeal to a
very niche market. That said, Country Love is shockingly bad but I quite like First Love

Paulos
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »

Country Love is one of those albums that everyone tells you is awful beyond comprehension and you think 'it can't be that bad can it?' and then you actually hear it......and it is truly horrific, like being stabbed in the ears by music. I dont think a word has been invented to adequately describe just how bad a song Wrinkles is........
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 01:23:01 AM »

Okay, so we can live without "Country Love", but then there are the two albums by Celebration, how about those, any good?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 01:34:02 AM »

Okay, so we can live without "Country Love", but then there are the two albums by Celebration, how about those, any good?

The Almost Summer movie soundtrack album (isn't really, the actual movie versions of the title track & "Sad, Sad Summer" are hugely different) is for completists only. The second album, Celebration, is much better, almost a surrogate BB album, but it's hard to lay hands on as only 5000 were pressed. Neither are available on legal CD.

There's a third, Disco Celebration, which may or may not have been legally released - it's up (down ?) there with Country Love.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:35:54 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 01:42:29 AM »

Country Love is one of those albums that everyone tells you is awful beyond comprehension and you think 'it can't be that bad can it?' and then you actually hear it......and it is truly horrific, like being stabbed in the ears by music. I dont think a word has been invented to adequately describe just how bad a song Wrinkles is........

This just makes me want to hear it all the more!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 01:53:32 AM »

The first one, "Almost Summer", is so-so, although Sad Sad Summer ain't bad and Almost Summer is OK as well. But hey, it's a soundtrack album (no clue what the movie's like), lot's of fillers, instrumentals, and tracks from other artists. Btw, one of the instrumental - 'Lookin' Good' - is in fact an early version of 'She's Got Rhythm'.

The second one, simply titled "Celebration", is a much better effort, with quite a few good tracks, a few ML originals included (who wasn't too egoistic giving a few leads to Dave Robinson (I Don't Wanna Know, Go And Get That Girl) and Paul Fauerso (Starbaby). Also includes 'Country Pie' (a concert stomper in the late 70ies for the BB) with ML on leadvocal and an odd version of Gettin' Hungry (with extra lyrics, not my cup of tea btw). Worth buying in my opinion.

aaaaaannd... there's a 3rd one called Disco Celebration... but I'll leave that one to others to burn it down to the ground...  Grin

EDIT: darn, AGD beat me to it (but at least we were on the same track with these albums)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:55:04 AM by Hey Santa !! » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 01:57:08 AM »

Unlike The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys are known to license out tracks for v.a. comps, so ML reissues on indies like BGO or Sundazed should be possible. I can't believe Mike wouldn't be interested... more likely, no label is interested. Sad really, cause I'd like to own some of this material on CD.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 02:13:49 AM »

Celebration tracks listing, avec comments par moi:

Side 1:
Gettin' Hungry (B. Wilson/Love) - Mike
Sailor (Robimson/Altbach) - Dave Robinson (nice little nod to "SO,S" at the end)
Lovestruck (Tuleja/Altbach) - Dave Robinson (reworking of ML solo track originally called "Jailbait" - seriously)
She's Just Out To Get You (Love) - Mike (also recorded by Spring/Honeys and released on the Capitol Honeys 1992 CD)
I Don't Wanna Know (Love) - Dave Robinson (originally a First Love track)

Side 2:
Starbaby (Love) - Paul Fauerso
Go And Get That Girl (Tuleja/Altbach) - Dave Robinson (revised version of a BB MIU sessions song - BB version was slated for the Xmas album)
How's About A Little Bit ? (B. Wilson/Rovell/Love/Altbach) - Mike (again, a BB version exists - sounding suspiciously like this one in places)
Song Of The Creation (Altbach/Robimson) - Dave Robinson
Country Pie (Tuleja/Altbach) - Dave Robinson (the 1978 BB concert staple)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:14:58 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 02:35:08 AM »

Can't check it right away, but didn't sing ML on this one? Or am I simply so familiar with the BB live versions that I totally forgot that Robinson is singing on the studio version?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:36:37 AM by Hey Santa !! » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 02:40:18 AM »

Can't check it right away, but didn't sing ML on this one? Or am I simply so familiar with the BB live versions that I totally forgot that Robinson is singing on the studio version?

Nope, you're right - the sleeve credits are incorrect. As we say over here, major arse.  Angry

FWIW, I'm sure I hear Carl in the bvs of "Little Bit".
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:45:43 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 03:19:52 AM »

Having heard the 'Boys do a ripping live version of "Country Pie" I'm surprised a studio version by them never made it to the racks. It would have fit nicely on "LA".

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx